Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is there a ring like the Rusted Iron Ring from DS1? Because gently caress this poison swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The lack of white summon signs is really dispiriting :( It's nothing like the first two games. I've done the first two bosses and I've only seen 1 so far. I see loads of orange messages, player ghosts, red blood spots, etc. But the coop is non-existent compared to day 1 DS1 and DS2.

I put mine down in front of the second boss to see it from the other side and nobody picked it up in the ten minutes I spent waiting.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Oh man I don't think I can do this loving Giant god drat Tree boss as a Thief, you really need either Range or AoE and I have neither and am very rusty and keep thinking if I get hit I can just get that HP back by wailing on them like Bloodborne.

Range and AoE ? Boss goes much faster if you go melee, range sucks a lot in this fight. Grab uchi or a straight sword of choice and go for the eggs in the arms/legs/back before going to the front

I co-oped that boss about 15 times, I'd help you but I gotta go to college now, I'm only back way later

hit me up in steam steamcommunity.com/id/ZZZorc/ , I could help you later in the next fights :v:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The lack of white summon signs is really dispiriting :( It's nothing like the first two games. I've done the first two bosses and I've only seen 1 so far. I see loads of orange messages, player ghosts, red blood spots, etc. But the coop is non-existent compared to day 1 DS1 and DS2.

What version are you playing? On the PC I came across a fair amount

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I put mine down in front of the second boss to see it from the other side and nobody picked it up in the ten minutes I spent waiting.

That's weird, whenever I put down my summon sign I get instantly summoned every time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nuebot posted:

What enemies? That being said it is pretty fan servicey considering how many returning weapons there are, some odd choices made it in as boss soul weapons.

So far I've seen three black knights, a silver knight, darkwraiths, and a few others.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There are so many signs and people doing co-op that it's hard to summon someone because someone else already did, there's an option in the menu to allow co-op with people from other regions or something like that, try to enable it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

All right, time to dive into this thing. Is there anything known about the starting gifts - are there any petrified something or old witch's ring equivalents? I can't spot any from a cursory glance so ...

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

So far I've seen three black knights, a silver knight, darkwraiths, and a few others.

You just seriously complained about black knights in a sword&board genre game? Are you also disappointed that they fell back on the ol' dragon trope ONCE AGAIN?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I was a little bummed that I got the whole 'crash on first bonfire' thing, but was like, oh okay, I'll just set things from High to Low because that's supposed to work.

But then I noticed that alot of settings could also go from High to Max. Realized that going up was better than going down. Haven't crashed since I decided to start playing with power.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I see signs everywhere I go. Maybe try rebooting your client? Could be day-1 traffic is slamming the servers and your connection dropped or hiccuped.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
This game is turning out to be way better than I expected, and is plagued by none of the poo poo that bothered me in Bloodborne. Got absolutely brutalized by the tutorial boss as deprived and actually had to start using a shield again to get rid of bad Bloodborne habits. If somebody wants to find solace in the suffering of another, I'm streaming my first playthrough.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I swear to god it took me an hour to kill the first boss being deprived doesn't help much whereas my friends were like "Oh I killed that first try, hur hur" loving bastards.

I just checked and I spent pretty much exactly an hour stuck there :suicide: Maybe I should've reinstalled one of the earlier games for alittle warm-up.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

double nine posted:

All right, time to dive into this thing. Is there anything known about the starting gifts - are there any petrified something or old witch's ring equivalents? I can't spot any from a cursory glance so ...

They're all common items, depends on build but I'd go fire gem > life ring > gold rusted coin > anything else

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It runs at 60fps at Max settings. I'm so happy I got a new card.
I murdered the gently caress outta that crystal lizard thing first try. :smug:

Holy poo poo I love how much faster everything is.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Installation progress stuck at 99%. Been there for at least 3 maybe 4 seconds. WTF BANDAI

EDIT: nm

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Doing a deprived run because that's a good idea. Loved the first three souls games but didn't like bloodborne at all and watching the first boss lunge away from me, pivot mid lunge and splatter me before turning into an eldritch abomination has me nervous.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

It runs at 60fps at Max settings. I'm so happy I got a new card.
I murdered the gently caress outta that crystal lizard thing first try. :smug:

Holy poo poo I love how much faster everything is.

what card'd you buy?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just got hosed in the eye by a nude samurai zombie

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I know the trick it's just really hard when your weapon needs you to be inside him to hit.

Use firebombs. The villagers in the area probably dropped some and you can throw them at tree baby when he's throwing a tantrum. Otherwise its just a matter of waiting for him to use the attacks that expose additional weak points and have his arm fall down. I dunno if there's good a way to bait those.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

double nine posted:

what card'd you buy?

Uhhhh.... *looks up order*
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Holy poo poo Abyss Watchers. :stare:

This going to be an interesting fight...

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

I just got hosed in the eye by a nude samurai zombie

The master is a cruel man but certainly killable right from the start. I'm also really glad I found the Moundmaker covenant. Had a guy summon me and I turned on him halfway through a fight :unsmigghh:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Does equip load affect your iframes in this game, or is it just roll speed/distance?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I like that more enemies discovered how to protect their backs against backstabs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how common is titanite? I've got enough to start upgrading the long sword but I don't really want to use it for long

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
Keep getting these random fps drops that are really annoying. I've got a gtx760 and wasn't expecting it to run on max settings at 60 fps but these frame rate drops happen regardless of what graphics preset I choose.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah something's up with you. I'm up to 19 sunlight medallions from just the first boss because I have a soft spot for new players.

Also, sometimes the first boss turns into a roomba and it's the funniest god drat thing.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They should give us the small soapstone back, sometimes you just want to grab some help for a few mobs (or when you leave the sign, you just want to kill some monsters to get your cinder/estus back) being forced go the whole way until winning a boss fight sucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh... So that's how that boss fight works...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ZZZorcerer posted:

They should give us the small soapstone back, sometimes you just want to grab some help for a few mobs (or when you leave the sign, you just want to kill some monsters to get your cinder/estus back) being forced go the whole way until winning a boss fight sucks.

Being given a full restore of all your estus charges, etc. for being summoned and throwing yourself headfirst into a bunch of weak hollows was really boring an uninteresting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Right now there's so much summoning activity in the early bosses that it's easy to regain your ember plus get another one for helping someone out on Vordt, but after a few weeks I get the feeling I'm really gonna be missing the small soapstone. I've just been dropping my sign before the boss fog, and it's never been more than like 3 minutes of waiting.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I finally got summoned, killed the boss for the host. Discovered that your estus aren't restored anymore if you help somebody. :psyduck: That's poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Intoluene posted:

The master is a cruel man but certainly killable right from the start. I'm also really glad I found the Moundmaker covenant. Had a guy summon me and I turned on him halfway through a fight :unsmigghh:

I did defeat him and now I have a fire katana an hour into the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the plus side I died just before killing the boss as a phantom and I still got the ember, looks like there might be a little grace period if you die in the last few seconds.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I finally got summoned, killed the boss for the host. Discovered that your estus aren't restored anymore if you help somebody. :psyduck: That's poo poo.

Unless I'm just completely high and imagined it, I was getting estus charges back every time I killed the first boss while sunbroing.

Although it could be my estus charges used while being summoned didn't count or something, and when I left it was reset to what it was before?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

I like that more enemies discovered how to protect their backs against backstabs

Please tell me they've all just strapped a estoc to their back pointing out.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Dan Didio posted:

Being given a full restore of all your estus charges, etc. for being summoned and throwing yourself headfirst into a bunch of weak hollows was really boring an uninteresting.

Then don't give full restore for one co-op, restore only a few
Small soapstones incentives people to leave signs around the map, big soapstone tends to gravitate the signs to boss doors

Golden Goat posted:

Please tell me they've all just strapped a estoc to their back pointing out.

I haven't seen weapons strapped to backs yet, maybe later :shobon:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Unless I'm just completely high and imagined it, I was getting estus charges back every time I killed the first boss while sunbroing.

I killed the boss, got an ember and returned to my world but my estus were still empty and so were my FP bar.

I'm just hoping it's a glitch because otherwise that is a real downer. I used to wait in front of bosses all the time as a phantom so I could recharge in human form. Hell, that's what the small soapstone in DS2 was for. Taking that out would be such a letdown.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Small soapstone was probably the best thing DS2 added to multiplayer. It wasn't perfect, but it did make a lot of activity for co op, and more co op is good and fun because more people can enjoy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
*Fast rolls up to a hallow six times and backstabs it.*

This GAME :allears: