Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm finishing up a rewatch, I'm on the second to last episode now, and I just realized...

AJ has not changed the pillowcase on his bed since season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kevyn posted:

I'm finishing up a rewatch, I'm on the second to last episode now, and I just realized...

AJ has not changed the pillowcase on his bed since season 1.

I just finished mine , and drat is AJ annoying. I know that is the point, but still his scenes can easily drag episodes down. The only thing that can do that faster is Christopher's hollywood adventures.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I still love Carmela's response to discovering Richie was killed - "That was not a marriage made in heaven"
He went into the witness protection program!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

bobkatt013 posted:

I just finished mine , and drat is AJ annoying. I know that is the point, but still his scenes can easily drag episodes down. The only thing that can do that faster is Christopher's hollywood adventures.

Or any scene with Meadow whining. Which is to say, any scene with Meadow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ZekeNY posted:

There were sometimes good Meadow scenes, like looking at the scrabble board with words like "poo" on it. She...was still whining there but it was still a good strong scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ZekeNY posted:

On the other hand college is an amazing episode and has plenty of meadow

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Looks like Frank Jr. is playing the big game in the sky.

Gonna have to watch that episode tonight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Looks like Frank Jr. is playing the big game in the sky.

Gonna have to watch that episode tonight.

With degenerate gambler Robert Patrick

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

bobkatt013 posted:

On the other hand college is an amazing episode and has plenty of meadow

Ok, fair enough, I'll give her that episode. (But I'll still mutter "shut up, Meadow" every time she opens her mouth.)

And RIP to the "Chairboy of the Board".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
After rewatching the entire series again recently, I came to a realization that I'm fairly certain is 100% accurate: AJ and Christopher never speak to each other during the course of the show. Tony's actual son and surrogate son never even share a scene together at any point. I thought that was pretty significant.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

After rewatching the entire series again recently, I came to a realization that I'm fairly certain is 100% accurate: AJ and Christopher never speak to each other during the course of the show. Tony's actual son and surrogate son never even share a scene together at any point. I thought that was pretty significant.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Well, never mind

poo poo, I was even keeping track, I completely missed that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, never mind

poo poo, I was even keeping track, I completely missed that.

Eh, season 6 mostly sucked so no worries about forgetting it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You best just be meaning 6.1 (even then I disagree but at least that's more understandable)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The second half was a little better, but 6 is still my least favorite season. I guess "sucks" is a little strong. "Sucked for the Sopranos" would be more accurate as its still better than most other shows out there.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

It's Chris and Junior who never share a scene. I think they're almost never in the same room together. But Christopher has good reason to keep a wide berth given his mock execution at Junior's behest.

A million dollars and three Hawaiian islands to whoever produces evidence to the contrary (I might genuinely be forgetting)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
6.2 had that one episode about Tony gambling which always struck me as the worst episode.

There were other kinda bad episodes like the Columbus Day one, but they were more like "goofy bad" and I can deal with that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The saint with the hat episode. The Johnny Cakes episodes. Basically everything with Junior after he shot Tony. Soprano Home Movies. The Clever crap. It was just a mess of things I didn't like.

But it did have Johnny Sack's daughter's wedding which I liked. And that one scene where AJ tried to kill himself. Gandolfini had some amazing acting chops. Going from confused, concerned, upset, angry, and then a loving father with in a few minutes and with very little dialogue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
6.2 is pretty much my favourite season of TV of all time so I can't really relate here

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soprano Home Movies.

Ok I could see an argument for the rest, but this is legit one of the best episodes of the whole series.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Johnny Cakes episodes.
This scene easily redeemed them imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgHDXOdUos

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Ok I could see an argument for the rest, but this is legit one of the best episodes of the whole series.

Yeah I had to double check the name because what the gently caress that episode's great.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

That episode is great, but it was poorly placed as the season premiere for 6B. I remember not liking it when it first aired, but it fares much better on a rewatch when you haven't waited ten months to watch it.

"Boardwalk... I own it."
"You blew guys under it."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it's time for a rewatch of the season for me? It's the only season I haven't watched several times just because I didn't like it so much the first time through.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ROADIES?!

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Under the boardwalk... with his schlong in Jan's mouth

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

South of the border... down Mexico way
South of the border... where the tuna fish play

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Kevyn posted:

That episode is great, but it was poorly placed as the season premiere for 6B. I remember not liking it when it first aired, but it fares much better on a rewatch when you haven't waited ten months to watch it.

"Boardwalk... I own it."
"You blew guys under it."

"A German shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first prize."

Loved that episode. Tony sitting and seething after the fight makes me crack up every time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

"A German shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first prize."

Loved that episode. Tony sitting and seething after the fight makes me crack up every time.

pffft, if that throw rug wasn't there he would've won.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

And that one scene where AJ tried to kill himself. Gandolfini had some amazing acting chops. Going from confused, concerned, upset, angry, and then a loving father with in a few minutes and with very little dialogue.

The way Tony just sprints out and leaps into the pool instantly was great too. Nothing of the specific Tony Soprano character in that moment, just a father experiencing one of the worst moments a parent can possibly imagine. I thought it was a great acting choice to play it that way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Robert Iler's acting in that scene is pretty great too. His crying barely sounds human after he's been dragged out.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What an amazingly well cast, well acted show. Every time someone says about a show that it's Sopranos-tier I get the impression they didn't enjoy the Sopranos because NOTHING touches it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Meh, there wasn't enough mob action and they talked about their feelings too much.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

Meh, there wasn't enough mob action and they talked about their feelings too much.

Yeah not enough murders or crime in this show and God forbid we have any introspection on the characters. BOOORING!!!

:getout:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
One thing I've learned, this is not a show for stupid people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tender Bender posted:

This reminds me of Christopher telling Jon Favreau that he made a mistake in Swingers because the two characters emulated Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin but were kind of pussies, and Favreau's quiet,"....that was kinda the point...." response :allears:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"They can suck my dick. That swings too."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me of Christopher telling Jon Favreau that he made a mistake in Swingers because the two characters emulated Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin but were kind of pussies, and Favreau's quiet,"....that was kinda the point...." response :allears:

human being cocksucker tried to steal my ideas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harold Stassen posted:

One thing I've learned, this is not a show for stupid people.

I know what you mean, but the crazy thing is it actually did appeal to a lot of stupid people too. A pretty significant portion of the audience were the "who's getting whacked this week" crowd. I'll always believe that Chase had resentment for those people and wrote the ending specifically for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harold Stassen posted:

human being cocksucker tried to steal my ideas.

Maybe he just crawled under there.... y'know, for warmth?

• Locked thread