Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What a brutal way to end the episode, it'll be a long week waiting to see how this is resolved.

I fully expect Chuck to recover, don't think Jimmy commits him even now, and expect a full out legal war between the two of them in season 3.

Doesn't look like we're getting Saul Goodman until s3 at least.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Chuck is gonna wake up with cerebral palsy, which will endear Jimmy to a young lad named Walter White, Jr.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Chuck isn't dead, but I think we all wouldn't miss him if he was.

Also copy machine guy owned.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's pretty cool that in an episode with a six-figure robbery of drug money that leads to offscreen murder the more dramatically compelling scenes were of an argument in a printing store

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Only complaint about this season is lack of Michael mando

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I wonder what the tipping point will be for Mike to start actually killing people for money.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That was a really good ep and the people wishing death on Chuck are more mentally ill than Chuck himself.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why did the copy guy forget that Jimmy had been in the shop

maybe he hit his head on the counter too and got amnesia

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

why did the copy guy forget that Jimmy had been in the shop

maybe he hit his head on the counter too and got amnesia

I think you missed the entire scene where they explained that the copy guy only had a 12 hour memory and that it was just about to roll over.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jesus, if she doesn't leave him after this, how much more lying to her can she possibly take from him?

this was a nifty dynamic in breaking bad as well.

El Hefe posted:

That was a really good ep and the people wishing death on Chuck are more mentally ill than Chuck himself.

it's tv iv.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Would having an accident in your store cause insurance to have to examine surveillance? It's one of the ways things could unravel with Chuck being out of commission.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
This episode should've just been titled unintended consequences, goddamn. I love how they handled Kim, I was sure she wasn't believing Chuck during the big confrontation and nope, she just knows he did it and is willing to ignore it because she dislikes Chuck, likes Jimmy, and is getting a huge client out of not acknowledging Chuck's claims. It really hammers home how messed up their new relationship is during that bed scene, where she's just like "Boy I sure wouldn't leave even a breadcrumb if I'd done it." and Jimmy takes off, that's the closest the show has come to mirroring the messed up relationship dynamics of Breaking Bad, I saw slivers of Walt/Jesse and Walt/Skyler there. Hell, even Walt/Gus with how Gus was once like "Are you asking if I had a child murdered?" and Walt's like "I would never ask you that."

i also liked how she called Chuck out on not appreciating the fact that Jimmy took care of him for a literal year.

Cute n Popular posted:

Would having an accident in your store cause insurance to have to examine surveillance? It's one of the ways things could unravel with Chuck being out of commission.

Hmm, could be possible. I mean there are plenty of witnesses so I don't think it'll get to that. I think it's more likely that Kim isn't willing to ignore Jimmy's shenanigans when she sees there are real life consequences, even if they are unintended.

Data Graham posted:

As careful as Mike was to not be identifiable by the truck driver, I'm surprised he let his car sit in his field of vision.

As other people have said, that was a disposable car he got through other means, likely as simple as renting it. The only evidence he lets the driver see is stuff that leads him away from Mike.

They've really hit their stride with the last 4 or 5 episodes here, I totally didn't mind the Davis & Main stuff if but they'd gotten to the separate but equal Jimmy/Kim partnership and Jimmy forging documents by like, episode 4 I would've been fine with that, if only to see more of the really meaty portions of the show this season.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I wonder what the tipping point will be for Mike to start actually killing people for money.

I think he's going to keep progressing toward seeing killing people as acceptable. Right now he wouldn't even kill Tuco, which led to his granddaughter's life being threatened. Then he wouldn't kill the driver, which led to him being suspected by Nacho and the driver killing an innocent man. Pretty soon, possibly as soon as this season's finale, he's going to do the math and conclude that murder is worth it if the person deserves it and it avoids this kind of fallout on himself or the world at large. From there he just goes further down that slope, to where he's willing to ignore the fact that he's working for a massive drug dealer that's willing to use children and have them disposed of, and beyond that he's willing to just help clean up and dissolve an innocent kid and not take action against the guy that killed him. Even after Miike's okay with killing, I think we need to see him even more morally compromised to get him to where he is in Breaking Bad, he ignores or participates in some pretty heinous stuff.

Edit: This just occurred to me as well. We haven't seen any of the dialogue for Jimmy's commercial. Now we've all been assuming that Saul was coming later after a huge event, but what if he's already made that change on a surface level as part of his "showmanship" and that's the name he uses for his commercial and on his office? A bit of a wild theory, but with everyone expecting it to be a major thing it'd be just like the people behind BB to do it in a low-key way. I do expect that commercial to have some plot importance no matter what, they've spent quite a bit of time building it up.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I think he's going to keep progressing toward seeing killing people as acceptable. Right now he wouldn't even kill Tuco, which led to his granddaughter's life being threatened. Then he wouldn't kill the driver, which led to him being suspected by Nacho and the driver killing an innocent man. Pretty soon, possibly as soon as this season's finale, he's going to do the math and conclude that murder is worth it if the person deserves it and it avoids this kind of fallout on himself or the world at large. From there he just goes further down that slope, to where he's willing to ignore the fact that he's working for a massive drug dealer that's willing to use children and have them disposed of, and beyond that he's willing to just help clean up and dissolve an innocent kid and not take action against the guy that killed him. Even after Miike's okay with killing, I think we need to see him even more morally compromised to get him to where he is in Breaking Bad, he ignores or participates in some pretty heinous stuff.

Which really puts Mike into perspective even in Breaking Bad. He was a "bad guy" who looked good in comparison to Walt and Gus, but was still a pretty bad dude. I think one thing we are really seeing from Mike in this show is that his motives are more selfish than selfless. He's out for the money basically for the same reason Walter White was, "to provide for his family" and presumably make amends for the guilt he still has over getting his son killed. He's already been established as a killer even if the show wants to keep reminding us he's a reluctant one. Unlike Walt (who also killed a man very early into Breaking Bad), Mike can't even really claim self-defense, his act of murder was calculated vengeance. Nacho also touched upon something this episode: Mike seems to have held a grudge against Hector Salamanca for threatening his family, and may be going after the Cartel's operations for reasons that aren't purely financial. That's a side of his character that I don't think we ever saw from the professional, all-business Mike in Breaking Bad.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I laughed so loving hard when Kim punched the poo poo out of Jimmy.

And I was amazingly shocked and guilty when Chuck hit his head. I was expecting him to just collapse but that was a bad blow the kind that CAN break your neck and kill you, I don't think it did but it was bad and that was a good cliffhanger. If jimmy runs in there to help it will be bad and if he doesn't that's pretty lovely. He should just run to a nearby pay phone and call an ambulance or something (not that they would actually go with the safest option and do that).

This show made last weeks "slow" episode so much better than it already was.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

O ho ho

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

El Hefe posted:

All Chuck does is intentionally make everyone around him loving miserable while getting pleasure out of it. The fact that he's a lawyer doesn't help.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
You don't wish a death

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

El Hefe posted:

You know that Chuck is not a real person right?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Greaseman posted:

You know that Chuck is not a real person right?

of course he's a real person, no one has developed the technology to imitate humans that well, not even the united states.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

:drat:

Mike is like, "No sweat, I S-Ranked this mission".

Rereading through the live comments, had to quote this ^^^.

PassTheRemote posted:

Kim, you are awesome. Kim reminds Jimmy that his defense must be impregnable.

When I was watching I was sure he'd go to sleep and then act on it later in order to try to keep up his ruse that he's innocent. Nope, gets right up without a word and grabs his keys. I don't think that couple will mirror the Skyler/Walt dynamic in around season 3 or 4 of BB any more than they did right there.

Edit: Just when I was sure I wouldn't find anything else I wanted to quote, here's this gem:

Stairmaster posted:

jimmy is going to walk in on the guy in charge of the copy shop choking to death on his own vomit and just take the security tapes and leave

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Any fuckery in the head is almost definitely a psychological issue, unless the show suddenly wants to make it a real thing

Chuck's issue is 100% a psychological one. They proved that in season 1 when he was in the hospital, the doctor showed it to Jimmy by subtly turning on the electricity in his hospital bed without Chuck noticing, and Chuck was fine because he wasn't aware of it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seriously perfect episode. Wow.

For some reason I almost expect Chuck's electricity allergy to magically disappear after the head injury. Like, the fake disease is kinda Chuck's way of getting back at Jimmy for being a con artist; he, in a way, has come up with a con of his own that makes Jimmy pity him, take care of him, etc., all while suspecting (but being unable to prove) that it's all made up. But I feel like Jimmy's last move has gone too far. Before, Chuck has worked against him while still holding onto some kind of hope for their relationship, but now he might just be completely done with Jimmy. Like, he might just openly want nothing more than to totally ruin Jimmy now, so he won't need the fake disease to manipulate him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
After Kim punching him in the car I expected the scene in bed to go into a big LOOK I KNOW YOU DID IT JUST DON'T loving LIE TO ME fight but nope. Just like when they arrived at the "not partners but separate practices under a roof" compromise, the writers continue to skip all kinds of boring drama storytelling beats you'd normally find in other shows. It's all condensed into this:

also I believe someone requested this

Tenzarin posted:

Once again the mike story, is way better than the jimmy story. End the story, rename the show "Breaking Mike".
Seriously? Even this week?

Just loving go watch Breaking Bad again.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 12, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bbf2 posted:

Chuck's issue is 100% a psychological one. They proved that in season 1 when he was in the hospital, the doctor showed it to Jimmy by subtly turning on the electricity in his hospital bed without Chuck noticing, and Chuck was fine because he wasn't aware of it.

Were people still doubting that it was purely psychological this far in? Raging rear end in a top hat Chuck's whole condition is caused by his need to always be right and never lose at anything ever, and not leaving his house provides him a way to guarantee his rear end in a top hat conditions are met, while also forcing people to cater to his every tedious, inconveniencing whim. He can turn his "illness" off at will though, when enjoying loving someone over, proving himself right, or basking in the glory of an easy, guaranteed win requires him to leave the house. His whole condition could easily be treated too, but that would actually require him to admit he was wrong about something. Also, they may have focused on the lights and poo poo when he was stroking out in the store, but I think his fall was caused more by his ever building rage at losing all day long, having people actually standing up to him at every turn, telling him no and he was wrong, and shutting his whiny baby rear end down.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
OK, this is cool, if you take all of the episode titles of season two and list them in a different order there might be a code....(saw this on reddit)

POTENTIAL spoilers for the next episode, although it could be a coincidence

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch
Bali Ha'i
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

My first thought when Chuck started spazzing out in the copy shop was my joyous realization that Jimmy had used a building full of Kryptonite to hatch his plan to take down Superman, I'm surprised he wasn't more :smug: about it at the time.

No one's said this yet that I've seen either, but assuming Chuck's not straight up dead he's 100% going to be sent to a hospital and kept at least overnight for treatment, hooked up to all kinds of machines. I expect him to come to and just spaz out for awhile at all the EMF around him.

I don't fault Jimmy for not running in there immediately, the most he can do is make sure electronic poo poo is minimized when Chuck's treatment is complete. People there are gonna call an ambulance right away. Of course, they'll have to use the phone at the copy place (or even just copy guy's cell phone) since I'm sure Chuck forbids his intern from carrying a phone in his presence. I mean, he'd feel lovely if Chuck really was dead or dying, but that's a big leap to make from one head bonk. Like, family is family, but these two are so far apart at this point that the bond of brothers has weakened to where it's basically just a bond of hate.

Edit: Episode title tie-in seems quite possible, they've certainly done something similar with episode names tying into each other in Season 2 of BB, and they wanted to make every episode in season one end in "o" until the goddamn jello brand shut that down. I would've loved it if they stuck to their guns and went with Alpine Shephard Boy-o just for the hell of it.

It makes me want to see the finale all the more if the theory's accurate.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

uh

that's super loving fatal

A) I think Chuck may very well be dead, but I honestly can't say for sure
B) I present evidence of Ted from Breaking Bad, who recovered from a similar such incident.. in traction for months.

But I am definitely leaning to Chuck is loving dead, which now puts Jimmy AND the copy guy into a crazy situation. Holy poo poo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
finale preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UMN-UlyDE

There's a shot of Jimmy walking up to a hospital desk talking to a doctor while Ernie watches, and another of him standing in what looks like a dark hospital room. My money's on coma.

also Mike finally gets that sniper rifle

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 12, 2016

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That car will be the thing that comes back to haunt Mike, when the truck driver describes it. It might be the thing that finally gets Mike put on Gus Fring's radar.

Most likely, since this episode gives new meaning to Mike's BB quip "there are two types of heists: those where the guys get away and those that leave witnesses." Additionally I would like to note that Chuck Klosterman did a great job in his guest role as copy guy.

Also:

Immortan posted:

Only complaint about this season is lack of Michael mando

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Mando's been in every episode this season, just like last year.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mr Jaunts posted:

How in the world does Ernie have such a nice car? HHM must pay him handsomely to take care of Chuck

Evos are not as expensive as they look. He's probably getting paid decently but its a japanese sports car not a ferrari.

E: I'm not an evo guy but I'm pretty sure it's an evo 9, which apparently started at 30k back in 06. Apparently thats 37k in todays money.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 12, 2016

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

"And two for flinching!"

Seriously, what a great loving episode.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Saul in BB feels more and more like a cheap cameo of Jimmy McGill.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think for the moment, this latest episode suffers from setting up three wacky schemes (Jimmy's commercial, Jimmy's number switcheroo, Mike's nail hose) and resolving none of them. If the payoffs next episode are good, then it might work better as part of a full-season binge.
This is a really good point. If we'd got the Mike truck scene last episode it would've had a lot more oompf. But it's a shame that last week was entirely spent setting up this week.

Argus Zant posted:

see, the Salamancas know the most important thing of all

no evidence, ever
Yeah, instead of a guy going home with a funny story about finding a truck driver tied up who insisted not calling the cops, now there's a missing person whose family and friends will contact the police and check his last known whereabouts. Genius move.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Another loving half-measure from Mike. You'd think he'd learn by now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know, head trauma has been known to cure psychiatric issues.

It’s also been known to cause them, or worsen existing ones, but let’s focus on the positive here.

Maybe Jimmy will wake up not just cured off his delusions, but also of his general bad attitude. :unsmith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Chuck's a jerk, but I'm surprised EVERYONE seemed to be rooting so hard against him this episode. He was not wrong to fight for the law firm not to lose a big client, and he was illegally sabotaged. I'm all for rooting against him in life, but he's pretty much in the right here.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

You know, head trauma has been known to cure psychiatric issues.

It’s also been known to cause them, or worsen existing ones, but let’s focus on the positive here.

Maybe Jimmy will wake up not just cured off his delusions, but also of his general bad attitude. :unsmith:

Ah yes... in the medical community they call this the Fred Flintstone effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

VagueRant posted:

Chuck's a jerk, but I'm surprised EVERYONE seemed to be rooting so hard against him this episode. He was not wrong to fight for the law firm not to lose a big client, and he was illegally sabotaged. I'm all for rooting against him in life, but he's pretty much in the right here.

Chuck has always been right. He was right in blocking Jimmy working for HHM, and Jimmy has since proven himself time and time again to be professional poison for anyone he works with.

I really don't get the Chuck hate. Chuck is the new Skyler I guess.

• Locked thread