Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Fun Opera menu.ini stuff
Thanks for this, btw, I just set it up (didn't even have to mess with %PATH% b/c it supports explicit paths). Oddly enough I forgot Opera could be so power-user friendly :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Doom Goon posted:

Thanks for this, btw, I just set it up (didn't even have to mess with %PATH% b/c it supports explicit paths). Oddly enough I forgot Opera could be so power-user friendly :v:

See thread title. :D

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bork Bork Bork

Vivaldi posted:

False positives with some antivirus software
We have seen a few of you reporting that Vivaldi might contain a virus. Firstly don't worry, it doesn't! This is a false positive. We have done a little investigation of our own and it seems that the various antivirus software companies are triggering a response on our company name within the installer. If we misspell it slightly, e.g. by removing a letter in "Vivaldi Technologies" and making it "Vivaldi Technlogies", the issue simply goes away. If you have an antivirus software that is making this mistake and would like to test this for yourselves, we have made you a special build (linked below) that has just that single change.

We hope that the antivirus companies that are incorrectly labelling us, will update their definitions soon, so that are common user base do not have to deal with this extra headache. We would really prefer not to have to permanently change our company name! :P

Known issues
Dragging Speed Dials inside folder reloads start page (VB-14319): use the bookmark manger for now
There are spelling mistakes in this blog post

Download (1.0.425.3)
Windows: 32-bit (official) | 64-bit (experimental)
Windooows: 32-bit (a test build made with awesme technlogy)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
vivldy , now appropriately misspelled for web 2.0 start-up urls

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

vivldy , now appropriately misspelled for web 2.0 start-up urls
Vivad.ly

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Opera getting back to its roots

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

That's the most innovative thing they've done in years.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Speaking of "innovation". They recently released their new Chromera ad blocker and tout it as being faster than the ones in FF/Chrome, which it is, by being built-in, instead of a JS addon, which is fine. They made a lot of effort in implementing ui so you can see how much it blocked and how much faster the page loaded, and even has a benchmark widget to compare page load side by side with and without ad blocker.

However it comes with a preset whitelist (including among others facebook), to which you can add things if you so desire; and otherwise has exactly two options:

1. On
2. Off

Yep, you can't block urls yourself, you can't remove individual blocks, you can only take what they decree, or allow all ads on a specific website.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mithaldu posted:

Be smart: Use all the browsers, with Opera as a control center. Disable JS by default in Opera, and make heavy use of the URL blocker, and then do the following to set up buttons and menu entries to open links in other browsers, directly from inside Opera:

I originally got them from here: http://operawiki.info/webdevtoolbar

But for the buttons only, find your menu.ini and edit this into the appropiate sections:

I don't know why I clicked this thread, but thanks for this. Been using Chrome for a few years now and GOD I miss Presto Opera. If I could somehow open Chrome/FF/IE browser tabs inside Prestopera for poo poo like Facebook/Youtube I think I could finally be okay with things.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Vivaldi has apparently hit 1.0.

Still haven't tried it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Conversely, I've converted over to Vivaldi entirely, after the Opera/China announcement. It's no Presto, but it's a drat sight better than FF/Chrome.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Conversely, I've converted over to Vivaldi entirely, after the Opera/China announcement. It's no Presto, but it's a drat sight better than FF/Chrome.
Yup, same here. The "Hibernate background pages" basically solves the memory issues with dozens of videotabs for me, which i really hated in chrome. Reported a few minor UI bugs during the beta, now installing 1.0 to see whats up.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Just made the switch over to Vivaldi as well from 12. It does chew up a considerably more amount of memory as can be expected, but yeah, they seemed to have checked off enough of the boxes that I wanted.

Also having actual adblock extensions rather than the cobbled together list I stopped updating is nice.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 6, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Welcome, brother

Perhaps it is time to start a dedicated Vivaldi thread?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Welcome, brother

Perhaps it is time to start a dedicated Vivaldi thread?

We can probably just rename this one. Unlike Vivaldi, we don't need to start from scratch to fix the bad decisions.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

We can probably just rename this one. Unlike Vivaldi, we don't need to start from scratch to fix the bad decisions.

The Opera hangers-on would take exception to this, I think

it's their choice to stay on a sinking ship and I can respect it

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The Opera hangers-on would take exception to this, I think
Personally i wouldn't mind.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

it's their choice to stay on a sinking ship and I can respect it
I'm not sure someone who's jumping on a ship that left the port with holes in the keel should throw that kinda talk around. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've converted over to Vivaldi entirely

So have I, and there are very few things I miss from Opera. It's pretty much down to the built-in feed reader and the shortcut to cycle between tabs by holding the right button and scrolling.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

For RSS/Newsreading stuff, I've set up my own TT-RSS instance, and just log in from anywhere.

The only feature I really, really miss from Opera 12 was the filterable Links panel/sidebar. If you never realized it was there (which, with all the other features of Opera, is entirely understandable), all it did was list all the links on the current webpage, and had a little searchbox at the top. You could filter it down to, say, all the PDFs on a page, highlight them all, right-click, save-as, and everything would start downloading. Stupid-useful for stuff like https://www.humblebundle.com which lists out all the stuff you've bought, but doesn't actually (ironically) bundle it up for you.

Opera 12 (and under) is the only browser I've ever seen that did that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I converted a long long time ago, best decision I ever made.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The only feature I really, really miss from Opera 12 was the filterable Links panel/sidebar. If you never realized it was there (which, with all the other features of Opera, is entirely understandable), all it did was list all the links on the current webpage, and had a little searchbox at the top. You could filter it down to, say, all the PDFs on a page, highlight them all, right-click, save-as, and everything would start downloading. Stupid-useful for stuff like https://www.humblebundle.com which lists out all the stuff you've bought, but doesn't actually (ironically) bundle it up for you.

Opera 12 (and under) is the only browser I've ever seen that did that.
Yeah, this was awesome.

And it served as somewhat of a workaround for sites that failed to render properly (e.g. Humble Bundle having all its clickable links break) if you knew what you were looking for.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Vivaldi seemed awesome when I first started it. But after I customized everything, it got really slow and laggy when zooming, scrolling... everything really. Tried disabling extensions, but no dice. Don't think it's my computer, it's a new 6600 i5 with 16 gigs of RAM. Any clues what it could be?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

check d:\Vivaldi\Application\1.0.403.24\resources\vivaldi\

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Is there a way to disable the web page preview on vertical tab bar? So tabs would only show the favicon and page title.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Tabs -> Tab Display -> Tab Options -> Show Tab Thumbnails

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mithaldu posted:

check d:\Vivaldi\Application\1.0.403.24\resources\vivaldi\

What am I looking for in here? Logs or something? Largest file is bundle.js at 1.5MB or so.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You asked why it's slow. As far as i'm concerned that poo poo there is the answer, since it's the UI of this browser.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not getting any anti-aliasing / ClearType on my fonts in Vivaldi. Is there an obvious reason for this?

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Vivaldi seems usable now and it has as close to the Opera 12 tab management as any other browser or plugin or extension I've tried. It'll still take a while to ween me off Opera 12 though. As such anyone remember how to edit the right click open with menu in Opera 12 to add Vivaldi in there? Also how to make a right click open in on links? I used to be on top of this 8 years ago but haven't delved into Opera ini's since user specific setting folders etc came on the scene. I had a look around standard_menu.ini but can't find what I'm looking for.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mithaldu posted:

You asked why it's slow. As far as i'm concerned that poo poo there is the answer, since it's the UI of this browser.

lol thanks bud

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Vivaldi seems usable now and it has as close to the Opera 12 tab management as any other browser or plugin or extension I've tried. It'll still take a while to ween me off Opera 12 though. As such anyone remember how to edit the right click open with menu in Opera 12 to add Vivaldi in there? Also how to make a right click open in on links? I used to be on top of this 8 years ago but haven't delved into Opera ini's since user specific setting folders etc came on the scene. I had a look around standard_menu.ini but can't find what I'm looking for.

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3007354&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=118#post456820201

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've been trying Vivaldi for a bit. It feels nice and quick. It's surprisingly good. The worst part is the same thing as what Chrome does in that Extensions are disabled during private browsing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I updated to the latest Vivaldi and now it wont ever load flash :confused:

*edit* nevermind apparently I only had the npapi (firefox) version of flash installed in Vivaldi and not the ppapi (chrome) version, and apparently npapi is now broken in vivaldi

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 9, 2016

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Darth TNT posted:

I've been trying Vivaldi for a bit. It feels nice and quick. It's surprisingly good. The worst part is the same thing as what Chrome does in that Extensions are disabled during private browsing.

Just check the allow in incognito mode box? Both browsers have this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

rapeface posted:

Just check the allow in incognito mode box? Both browsers have this.

That's so simple it makes ne look more stupid than usual! :argh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find that vivaldi suits all of my needs just fine and this is apparently very early in their development so that's good! I wanted a super lightweight, highly customizable browser with good extensions and it works. Now if only I can fix this stupid speed dial page to show something other than a poorly formatted screenshot of the website; I quite like big website logos like in Opera. Seriously, the image for google.com isn't even centered.

I just wish there was safari for windows, I guess.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 12, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I just wish there was safari for windows, I guess.

There was; it sucked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Now if only I can fix this stupid speed dial page to show something other than a poorly formatted screenshot of the website; I quite like big website logos like in Opera. Seriously, the image for google.com isn't even centered.

I don't mind the screenshots (although icons for some sites would be better) but I find it keeps losing the images and just showing a plain white square, which is pretty useless.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I think it's just the cached version of the page expiring. If you hit F5/Refresh while on the speed-dial page, it will go through and refresh all the sites. However, it doesn't apply extensions against them, so if there are big garish ads, you'll see them on the thumbnail.

Why it (and Old Opera before it) don't just kind of... automatically refresh them in the background, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Depends on the site. I kinda think some of them (Amazon is a real offender for this with my speed dial) have to do with anti-robot code.