Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

QuasiQuack posted:

Screw the T&A, look at that bird on the cover page! :3:

Best part of the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Gyges posted:

Please don't have the resurrected souls overcome the magic and turn on the wizard dude. Oh god, he's gonna summon a dragon or something and get hosed up. Maybe that demon thingy that Grey tried to kill.
This would actually be hilarious, if he summons a dragon who turns around and utterly annihilates him in a single attack.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This sort of scene, where your characters have to face their frustrations and terrors in such a way, works really well... In a manga where I can remember any of these loving people. Vaguely. It kinda sucked in Naruto too. Here it's just really indistinct and I'm thinking 'ok cool but who was that amazing bird?'

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have no idea who any of those people are except Simon

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I think you may be exaggerating :o:

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
How do y'all not remember Azuma (tree guy) or Precht (Hades)? The Tenrou arc is probably the best one.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

kohon posted:

How do y'all not remember Azuma (tree guy) or Precht (Hades)? The Tenrou arc is probably the best one.

That arc had it all.

-Payoffs from earlier buildup (e.g., Gray and Ultear finally meeting)
-Several lost fights for Fairy Tail
-[2nd] Highest ratio of villains killed off forever instead of becoming latest best friends (Except for the two and counting times some of them came back as illusions, one of which was anime only)
-Ends with entire main cast, large amount of extended cast killed off*

*You guys only THINK they were okay. Once he's collected all of the Fairy Tail moneys Mashima will reveal the final chapter of Fairy Tail: Roseanne writing in her diary, everything after Tenrou was her fantasy.

Reading over this post it probably sounds like I hate this Manga, but I don't! I just like it when heroes are faced with adversity. :unsmith:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wasn't aware that Erza actually killed the tree guy

The only people I remember dying was Precht and the Godslayer magic guy because Zeref kills them.

Also I guess the two other mooks that were with Precht but I don't think that was ever confirmed?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I wasn't aware that Erza actually killed the tree guy

The only people I remember dying was Precht and the Godslayer magic guy because Zeref kills them.

Also I guess the two other mooks that were with Precht but I don't think that was ever confirmed?

He became one with the island. Basically dead but not really.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Would have been funny if no one dies in fairy tail like people seem to claim. This guy would have made a big entrance, then wouldn't have been able to summon anyone and would then be unceremoniously beaten.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
The Tenrou arc reveals how under appreciated Loke is. I think he was the only one who single handedly defeated an enemy.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

All I remember about Tenrou is Canna abandoning her friend and then being rewarded for it with a super spell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh Snapple! posted:

All I remember about Tenrou is Canna abandoning her friend and then being rewarded for it with a super spell.

One that ended up being useless against her opponent of the arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bluegilly, the badass who totally curbstomped Canna and was said to be equal to Gildarts, only to lose in a single hit once Azuma got beaten and everyone in FT could fight at full force again.

Bluegilly, the badass who lost to Natsu in a single hit post time-skip (the second one).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bluegilly, the badass who totally curbstomped Canna and was said to be equal to Gildarts, only to lose in a single hit once Azuma got beaten and everyone in FT could fight at full force again.

Bluegilly, the badass who lost to Natsu in a single hit post time-skip (the second one).

Well Bluenote was fighting Equally with Gildartz until Azuma depowered everyone. Then Gildartz sent Bluenote flying with his second wind.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Bluenote was an annoying stereotypical bad rear end stock character with attitude to follow. While guildarts might fit that role otherwise his relationship with canna keeps him from being that way. One of the better things mashima has done.

Honestly the ships make this show. The action most of the time is kind of lame in my opinion.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 14, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gildarts is too much of a lovable dad to ever be that kind of character. Even before it was revealed that he was an ACTUAL dad.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Bluenote was fighting Equally with Gildartz until Azuma depowered everyone. Then Gildartz sent Bluenote flying with his second wind.

Gildartz collapsed after sending Bluenote flying, though. So they were still roughly equals.

Presumably Natsu became roughly equal to Tenrou arc Gildartz/Bluenote when he got Second Origin, and surpassed that level overwhelmingly during the two-year time skip.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Gildartz collapsed after sending Bluenote flying, though. So they were still roughly equals.

Presumably Natsu became roughly equal to Tenrou arc Gildartz/Bluenote when he got Second Origin, and surpassed that level overwhelmingly during the two-year time skip.
Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy. Did everyone forget that the town rearranged itself because gildartz was so strong he would accidentally demolish whole buildings by touching them? He was meant to be ultra strong yet we never got to experience his love. Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy. Did everyone forget that the town rearranged itself because gildartz was so strong he would accidentally demolish whole buildings by touching them? He was meant to be ultra strong yet we never got to experience his love. Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy

Now would be a good time for him to randomly show up and wreck some fools.

Remember, he's strong enough to fight Achnologia for a while and then survive having a shitload of his organs scooped out with his arm and leg.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And Natsu is happy that he was barely able to punch Gildartz the last time they ran into eachother, and somehow Natsu is going to probably beat Arcnologia or whatever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also Gildarts has been on another impossible mission for the last year or so and probably doesn't even know the gild disbanded, reformed, rescued Makarov, and started a war. So when he comes back he's probably going to be stronger too.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gildarts is leading a third country that is invading Alvarez right now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Gildarts is leading a third country that is invading Alvarez right now.

Fixed :colbert:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

And Natsu is happy that he was barely able to punch Gildartz the last time they ran into eachother, and somehow Natsu is going to probably beat Arcnologia or whatever.

natsu is a dragonslayer his magic is super effective.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

The last Dragon Slayer to go up against Acnologia wasn't effective at all.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Elfgames posted:

From what I recall of the dragon festival arc, isn't it not so much 'super effective' as dragons are outright immune to anything used by non-dragonslayers?

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Didn't Serena get suckerpunched? I don't really remember. I just remember being annoyed that an interesting character actually got killed off before we could see him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

He wasn't a real dragon slayer. Like, you've got to at the very least have an anthropomorphic animal good buddy to even get a membership card.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

kohon posted:

Didn't Serena get suckerpunched? I don't really remember. I just remember being annoyed that an interesting character actually got killed off before we could see him.

He was all ready to fight, so it was his fault for not being fast enough to react.

Gyges posted:

He wasn't a real dragon slayer. Like, you've got to at the very least have an anthropomorphic animal good buddy to even get a membership card.

He's literally 8 times the Dragon Slayer that Natsu is. 4 times if you count Natsu's Lightning Fire Dragon form.

Laxus doesn't have a cat either and he's undeniably the strongest Dragon Slayer in Fairy Tail.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Laxus is also not a real dragon slayer.

Poison dude only got his membership card because he's buddies with his flying snake.

Sting and Rogue are executive members.

Wendy is a gold card member.

Gajeel and Natsu are secret extra club members.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Laxus is also not a real dragon slayer.

Poison dude only got his membership card because he's buddies with his flying snake.

Sting and Rogue are executive members.

Wendy is a gold card member.

Gajeel and Natsu are secret extra club members.

Laxus is the realest motherfucker out there who tricked his enemy into curing his Magic Cancer.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Cobra's gonna end up loving Cubelios/Kinana. How's that gonna affect his membership status?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kuroyama posted:

Cobra's gonna end up loving Cubelios/Kinana. How's that gonna affect his membership status?

Unless they have a messy break up and aren't buddies after, he should be fine.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

You seem to have this manga confused for Monster Masume.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

He was all ready to fight, so it was his fault for not being fast enough to react.

He's literally 8 times the Dragon Slayer that Natsu is. 4 times if you count Natsu's Lightning Fire Dragon form.

Laxus doesn't have a cat either and he's undeniably the strongest Dragon Slayer in Fairy Tail.

Lacryma dragon slayers don't loving count, are you kidding me? eating a rock isn't the same as having a bond with a dragon who is real and powerful and your friend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jiffypop45 posted:

You seem to have this manga confused for Monster Masume.

nope the Snake is a human girl now. (And always was she was just cursed by being turned into a snake.)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

MonsterEnvy posted:

nope the Snake is a human girl now. (And always was she was just cursed by being turned into a snake.)

And she'll probably transform back to a snake to help out Cobra.

And may I say, she may possibly be the worst developed character in the series. All this information comes from side stories and those chapter cover profiles Mashima occasionally pops out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kuroyama posted:

And she'll probably transform back to a snake to help out Cobra.

And may I say, she may possibly be the worst developed character in the series. All this information comes from side stories and those chapter cover profiles Mashima occasionally pops out.

And an anime only arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

Lacryma dragon slayers don't loving count, are you kidding me? eating a rock isn't the same as having a bond with a dragon who is real and powerful and your friend.

I double dare you to tell that to Laxus.

• Locked thread