Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm looking to play Dark Souls 3. It's minimum spec lists NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 7950, reccommended is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / ATI Radeon R9 series. My device manager says I've got NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.

Am I right to assume that, since 660 is smaller than 750, my current card isn't beefy enough to play this game? Am I going to be okay just picking a card from someone else's build in the past 2 or 3 pages at around $200 and going with that?

You can get away with playing DS3 with that card but fyi people have been getting frequent crashes with GTX 600-700 series graphics cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Boing posted:

Hello I am a guy from the UK and I'm trying to build a mid-range gaming computer for my house. I've tried to stay below the £700 ($1000) limit but might be convinced to exceed it for value's sake. I'm aiming for 1080p and 'Dark Souls 3 on high, Witcher 3 on medium+' level performance, and hopefully want to keep this thing around for a few years.

My old build was a GTX 560 or something like that and it juuust ran Fallout 4 on lowest settings, which I was happy with until it turns out I wasn't allowed to play Dark Souls 3 multiplayer at all with the framerates I'm getting. So it's time for an upgrade. I figure I can keep my old 8gb of DDR3 RAM and my monitor and my hard drives but not much else because everything was old as gently caress.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£150.66)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.18)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (found in a cupboard)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£73.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (£281.96)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (£23.98)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.94)

Total: £683.72 ($978.97)

This is all from one merchant so I'm gonna shop around a bit and see if I can get anything for significantly cheaper, but it seems close to the best deal for now. I have a couple questions:

Do I need more wattage on my PSU? More cooling/fans? More RAM? I don't plan on overclocking out of the box but it's something I'd like to keep open in the future. Same for dual monitors (no room in this house, but maybe later on this build).

I'm confused about what case specs mean. 4 internal drive bays means I can mount my SSD and my two existing hard drives, but what does '2x2.5" Drive support' mean if it doesn't refer to the internal drives? I was going to install a new OS on the SSD drive for faster boot times but leave most everything else on the hard drives, I imagine 250gb is more than enough for Win8/10 plus an Ubuntu partition?

I don't know much about motherboards. Is my motherboard choice stupid?

Here's a more modern version of your build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£80.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£27.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£68.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (£249.98 @ Novatech)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£42.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£60.50 @ Kustom PCs)
Total: £700.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 13:38 BST+0100

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Just FYI for anybody that was looking to pull the trigger on a 970 Jet.com has it for 289.99 plus if it's the first time you've ever bought anything from there they have a 15% off your first order coupon (Max of 30 bucks) bringing it down 259.99.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kithyen posted:

Just FYI for anybody that was looking to pull the trigger on a 970 Jet.com has it for 289.99 plus if it's the first time you've ever bought anything from there they have a 15% off your first order coupon (Max of 30 bucks) bringing it down 259.99.

Did they ever fix the whole 3.5gb thing?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boing posted:

Hello I am a guy from the UK and I'm trying to build a mid-range gaming computer for my house. I've tried to stay below the £700 ($1000) limit but might be convinced to exceed it for value's sake. I'm aiming for 1080p and 'Dark Souls 3 on high, Witcher 3 on medium+' level performance, and hopefully want to keep this thing around for a few years.

My old build was a GTX 560 or something like that and it juuust ran Fallout 4 on lowest settings, which I was happy with until it turns out I wasn't allowed to play Dark Souls 3 multiplayer at all with the framerates I'm getting. So it's time for an upgrade. I figure I can keep my old 8gb of DDR3 RAM and my monitor and my hard drives but not much else because everything was old as gently caress.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£150.66)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.18)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (found in a cupboard)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£73.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (£281.96)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (£23.98)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.94)

Total: £683.72 ($978.97)

This is all from one merchant so I'm gonna shop around a bit and see if I can get anything for significantly cheaper, but it seems close to the best deal for now. I have a couple questions:

Do I need more wattage on my PSU? More cooling/fans? More RAM? I don't plan on overclocking out of the box but it's something I'd like to keep open in the future. Same for dual monitors (no room in this house, but maybe later on this build).

I'm confused about what case specs mean. 4 internal drive bays means I can mount my SSD and my two existing hard drives, but what does '2x2.5" Drive support' mean if it doesn't refer to the internal drives? I was going to install a new OS on the SSD drive for faster boot times but leave most everything else on the hard drives, I imagine 250gb is more than enough for Win8/10 plus an Ubuntu partition?

I don't know much about motherboards. Is my motherboard choice stupid?

If you are going to upgrade it makes more sense to stick with the newer hardware instead of old Haswell stuff, here is a spec designed for that:

Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Panram Ninja-V 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£27.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£68.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£259.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £705.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 13:40 BST+0100

The CPU is the successor to the one used in your posted build and should be fine. The motherboard is a basic one but should be fine for your usage case. Since the new CPUs use DDR4 RAM I had to include some of that here. I kept the same SSD since it is a good choice, though I recommend that you move games with loading times over to the SSD too because it will cut those down by like 80%. This model of GTX970 is cheaper and is a good card. The case here is much better than the Bitfenix one you chose, Bitfenix cases tend to have quality issues so with some exceptions I tend to avoid them. Lastly I went with this PSU because it is more than enough wattage for this system spec and it is one of the highest quality 80+ Gold PSUs being made right now while also being cheaper than your original choice.

Once change I would consider is going with the 500GB version of the 850 EVO instead of the 250GB one, 250GB can get very tight when you start putting games and apps on it and the 500GB version is a better value as far as GB/£.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ItBurns posted:

It's hardware related, so that's not possible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ItBurns posted:

It's not something they could fix, it's how the card works. However it does not matter unless you are trying to play at 4k and maybe some really high spec games at 1440p, but the card is too slow for 4k anyway and 1440p is also iffy with any card that fast.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Probably a super unpopular opinion but on the cusp of the next generation I would be far more inclined to take a punt and scoop up a 290 or 290x (going for £200 and £250 respectively) on Ebay UK. They - so far, don't kill me people who care enough about one manufacturer or another - seem to be faring better in DX12 land, so ought to have a little more in the way of staying power until things shift around and you can pick up 980TI performance for 970 prices. Well 980 prices. Or something.

E: A custom Tri-X or Windforce or something - not for the love of god a stock one.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you are going to upgrade it makes more sense to stick with the newer hardware instead of old Haswell stuff, here is a spec designed for that:

Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Panram Ninja-V 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£27.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£259.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £705.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 13:40 BST+0100

The CPU is the successor to the one used in your posted build and should be fine. The motherboard is a basic one but should be fine for your usage case. Since the new CPUs use DDR4 RAM I had to include some of that here. I kept the same SSD since it is a good choice, though I recommend that you move games with loading times over to the SSD too because it will cut those down by like 80%. This model of GTX970 is cheaper and is a good card. The case here is much better than the Bitfenix one you chose, Bitfenix cases tend to have quality issues so with some exceptions I tend to avoid them. Lastly I went with this PSU because it is more than enough wattage for this system spec and it is one of the highest quality 80+ Gold PSUs being made right now while also being cheaper than your original choice.

Once change I would consider is going with the 500GB version of the 850 EVO instead of the 250GB one, 250GB can get very tight when you start putting games and apps on it and the 500GB version is a better value as far as GB/£.

This is great, thanks. (I didn't know there was a generational gap I was failing to appreciate)

It looks like the GPU you posted can be really easily overclocked a bit from the start, is that something you'd recommend? Or would that demand more from the PSU?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Boing posted:

This is great, thanks. (I didn't know there was a generational gap I was failing to appreciate)

It looks like the GPU you posted can be really easily overclocked a bit from the start, is that something you'd recommend? Or would that demand more from the PSU?

That PSU will be just fine with those parts, even with a modest overclock.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I got a lead on a used MSI GTX 980 for a good price. The guy said He'll pop it into his rig to test it for me before I hand over the cash. Any tips on things to look for? I was thinking of just running some sort of stress-test software several times in a row and monitoring for temperature.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

barren_sky posted:

I got a lead on a used MSI GTX 980 for a good price. The guy said He'll pop it into his rig to test it for me before I hand over the cash. Any tips on things to look for? I was thinking of just running some sort of stress-test software several times in a row and monitoring for temperature.

That should be fine, just be sure you are really getting a good price, anything over $350 or so and it's not all that great of a deal.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Krinkle posted:

I've been having problems with the AMD radeon HD 6800. When I play games very often there's graphical problems and no support for me, like they only assumed you'd use a GeForce card or something. ARK was especially terrible. They nailed down the gamma settings so you couldn't cheat in a multiplayer game but that left me with pitch blackness half the time and getting stabbed by people who, comparatively, saw fine by moonlight. And Dark Souls 3 came out today but the graphics are so choppy I get booted out of online mode instantly. While I wait for optimization or patches I was wondering if this video card is bad enough to need a replacement, or if a basic replacement wouldn't help because of some other bottleneck in my system I lack the ability to notice. It's 3 years old, unless it's five years old (I forget whose computer I built in '13), so I don't know. I don't feel like I need to upgrade much if a video card could sort me out. Any verdict?

Not to contradict what everyone has been saying about Dark Souls in particular (I haven't played that series so I can't speak to it specifically), but I actually have the same card as you, and it's still chugging along fine on modern games. I put over a hundred hours into Ark without any of the issues you're describing, I just couldn't run the graphics to their potential. It was a midrange card when I bought it (2011), and less than midrange when you bought it, so it's showing its age. But if you set newer games to medium settings you should be able to get by alright. I'm playing Black Desert right now at 30fps. If you're really struggling there may be something wrong with yours, unless I just lucked out and got a soldier.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

peak debt posted:

It doesn't really matter you can't expect a 2016 game to run on a 2010 graphics card for any reasonable definition of the word "run".

Are you talking about too low of a framerate or driver incompatibility? Maybe AMD support is worse, but my 460 is still getting updates. On the other hand, my standards are not missing frames at 1080p, while it seems like a lot of people want 60FPS at 1440.

:downs: new page

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you talking about too low of a framerate or driver incompatibility? Maybe AMD support is worse, but my 460 is still getting updates. On the other hand, my standards are not missing frames at 1080p, while it seems like a lot of people want 60FPS at 1440.

:downs: new page

I'm not entirely sure, but does it really matter? I mean I suppose he could test this by setting the resolution to something obnoxiously low like 480x320 of the game allows it and see if it's "playable" but in the end he needs to buy a new video card.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Go to Newegg, go to your order history and do a search for something like "radeon" and you should be able to find your exact card quickly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374
You're right it was 6850.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Not to contradict what everyone has been saying about Dark Souls in particular (I haven't played that series so I can't speak to it specifically), but I actually have the same card as you, and it's still chugging along fine on modern games. I put over a hundred hours into Ark without any of the issues you're describing, I just couldn't run the graphics to their potential. It was a midrange card when I bought it (2011), and less than midrange when you bought it, so it's showing its age. But if you set newer games to medium settings you should be able to get by alright. I'm playing Black Desert right now at 30fps. If you're really struggling there may be something wrong with yours, unless I just lucked out and got a soldier.

You played ark okay? Jeeze. I have no idea what my problem was. Pitch loving black. It wouldn't draw poo poo unless I held a torch, on low, and then it stuttered like crazy. Daytime was fine, but textureless. I (attempted to) update drivers constantly. Even my screenshots were pitch black with one pale circle for the moon. I've been thinking about switching to GeForce for a while as they seem to patch more.

Neo_Crimson posted:

You can get away with playing DS3 with that card but fyi people have been getting frequent crashes with GTX 600-700 series graphics cards.
Well shitttt. All I want is a step up to play-ability and every card between me and the top tier overcompensating cards are those cards. I would assume they'd patch whatever is crashing it by the time I got it delivered. That GPU thread still recommends a card from 2011 in the OP so is there a more up to date "best card for the price" list or do I have to newegg every one of these numbers in turn until I give up and say sure why not.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Krinkle posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374
You're right it was 6850.

You played ark okay? Jeeze. I have no idea what my problem was. Pitch loving black. It wouldn't draw poo poo unless I held a torch, on low, and then it stuttered like crazy. Daytime was fine, but textureless. I (attempted to) update drivers constantly. Even my screenshots were pitch black with one pale circle for the moon. I've been thinking about switching to GeForce for a while as they seem to patch more.

Well shitttt. All I want is a step up to play-ability and every card between me and the top tier overcompensating cards are those cards. I would assume they'd patch whatever is crashing it by the time I got it delivered. That GPU thread still recommends a card from 2011 in the OP so is there a more up to date "best card for the price" list or do I have to newegg every one of these numbers in turn until I give up and say sure why not.

The 6850 is very slow by modern standards, even a 750 Ti would be 50%-60% faster and it's considered the bottom rung gaming video card. How much can you spend?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If I spend more than 300 I'm going to feel like a dick. I can stand to feel like a little of a dick if it's a fantastic card with an absurd price point but I'd be fine with cheaper.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

As a fellow 6850 survivor looking forward to VR, now feels like a really weird time for potential upgrades.

It seems like the 970 is the bang for your buck buy, but won't really cut it for VR, the 980 is poor value, and a 980ti is a huge investment that seems ill advised with a next generation coming Soon™

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Krinkle posted:

If I spend more than 300 I'm going to feel like a dick. I can stand to feel like a little of a dick if it's a fantastic card with an absurd price point but I'd be fine with cheaper.

Well most people would recommend the 970 and you can get that for just barely under 300 if you look around.

biscuitbandit
Oct 19, 2004
What country are you in?
UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, web etc
What's your budget?
Around £1700 ($2400) absolute max - but including the monitor. Already have peripherals etc.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I want to run a Dell S2716DG (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-s2716dg) or alternatively good monitor (?) so a build that will do this justice really.

Advice appreciated please.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

There's the GTX 750 at $150 which is quite solid at 720p, the 960 at $200 which can kind of do Full-HD but will have occasional FPS problems, and the 970 at $300 that can comfortably run Full-HD unless you absolutely need to set settings to Ultra.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Krinkle posted:

It sounds like for you a GTX 970 or R9 390 would be a good choice, they cost right around $300 and will handle any game you throw at them at 1080p. If you want to keep it cheaper a GTX 960 might be a good choice.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

What country are you in?
USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, current and upcoming titles (2-3 years) 1080p60fps max settings
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
$900 tops, just need the computer, no accessories / monitor
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Only gaming / media center
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I want 1080p60fps at max settings, consistently.

Here's my build currently, about ready to pull the trigger. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($230.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Cuboid-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $847.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 18:26 EDT-0400

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

As a fellow 6850 survivor looking forward to VR, now feels like a really weird time for potential upgrades.

It seems like the 970 is the bang for your buck buy, but won't really cut it for VR, the 980 is poor value, and a 980ti is a huge investment that seems ill advised with a next generation coming Soon™

I don't think I care about VR? Unless you mean all of this stuff is going to go on clearance once VR becomes the new hotness if I could somehow hold out a few months?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It sounds like for you a GTX 970 or R9 390 would be a good choice, they cost right around $300 and will handle any game you throw at them at 1080p. If you want to keep it cheaper a GTX 960 might be a good choice.
is 5 years enough that my PCI express slot is out of style? My motherboard says PCI E 2.0 and a 970 says 3.0. Would it require a new motherboard to work?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Krinkle posted:

is 5 years enough that my PCI express slot is out of style? My motherboard says PCI E 2.0 and a 970 says 3.0. Would it require a new motherboard to work?

Nope, PCIe cards are backwards compatible so a 3.0 card works just fine in a 2.0 slot. 3.0 has more bandwidth but it does not really matter because current cards only use a fraction of the bandwidth that either a 3.0 or a 2.0 slot provides.

Current cards will see some price drops but that might be months off, new cards will probably be announced in June, then be available early July-August, I would expect wide availability in September. But take all that with a big grain of salt, I'm just basing this on the way past launches have tended to go and I could easily be wrong. If you just want to do 1080p I think a R9 390 or GTX 970 will be just fine for a good few years.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Krinkle posted:

It won't make a difference here.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I don't think I care about VR? Unless you mean all of this stuff is going to go on clearance once VR becomes the new hotness if I could somehow hold out a few months?

No, I meant I care about VR and that makes me think there's no right card to buy right now. Badly phrased, sorry

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Looking at various motherboards for a build

How can I tell if a board support DDR4-2400 as opposed to only 2133?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay is there anything immediately wrong with this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#scrollFullInfo

poo poo, I'm not vain. I just mostly just want to coast along. Is there anything wrong with this 960?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844&cm_re=geforce_960-_-14-127-844-_-Product

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Moola posted:

Looking at various motherboards for a build

How can I tell if a board support DDR4-2400 as opposed to only 2133?

Usually the manufacturer's support page for that board will have a spec sheet and possibly a memory support list, and for a lot of boards if you Google the part number the support page will be in the top 10. Newegg at least is pretty good about listing specs too but it's not quite as authoritative.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Okay is there anything immediately wrong with this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#scrollFullInfo

poo poo, I'm not vain. I just mostly just want to coast along. Is there anything wrong with this 960?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844&cm_re=geforce_960-_-14-127-844-_-Product

The 960 is not a very good value in general, also you want a 4GB card these days because games are demanding more and more VRAM as time goes on. The cheaper option would be an R9 380 like this, if you want something more powerful this 970 is a good choice. It sounds like you don't need a whole lot of power so the 380 is probably a better choice for you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Usually the manufacturer's support page for that board will have a spec sheet and possibly a memory support list, and for a lot of boards if you Google the part number the support page will be in the top 10. Newegg at least is pretty good about listing specs too but it's not quite as authoritative.

Ok, I was specfically looking at the ASRock B150M Pro4S because AVeryLargeRadish recommended it earlier and at £50 its kind of a steal

But all the spec pages I can find list 2133 even though he also recommended 2400 memory with the build?

???

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Moola posted:

Ok, I was specfically looking at the ASRock B150M Pro4S because AVeryLargeRadish recommended it earlier and at £50 its kind of a steal

But all the spec pages I can find list 2133 even though he also recommended 2400 memory with the build?

???

Your RAM will run at 2133 even if it's rated for 2400. He probably picked 2400 because it was the best deal at the time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ok thanks for clearing that up!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

beepstreet posted:

Here's my build currently, about ready to pull the trigger. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Cuboid-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $847.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 18:26 EDT-0400

That motherboard won't let you overclock, which is the entire point of buying a K processor and cooler. That's also a questionable brand of SSD and video card. This is just a tiny bit over budget but I think it'll serve you better.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $912.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 00:42 EDT-0400

If you're set on the 390 over the 970 then there's a $300 Gigabyte one. From what I've heard of XFX's customer support, it's... not great.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any real world difference for gaming between a skylake i5 and i7? My brother wants me to piece a computer out for him and his girlfriend seems keen on getting the i7 but I havnt really heard much in terms of enough performance gain to justify it.. From my understanding, its better to get the i5-k and overclock a bit to make up for the lost clock speed, but beyond that theres not enough of a benefit to justify the cost difference in any real scenario.

He will not be: Streaming, encoding, VR. Its just a gaming rig.

Everything else i wont have a problem with, just trying to convince him to not get the i7 unless theirs a serious valid reason for it.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 13, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

Is there any real world difference for gaming between a skylake i5 and i7? My brother wants me to piece a computer out for him and his girlfriend seems keen on getting the i7 but I havnt really heard much in terms of enough performance gain to justify it.. From my understanding, its better to get the i5-k and overclock a bit to make up for the lost clock speed, but beyond that theres not enough of a benefit to justify the cost difference in any real scenario.

Everything else i wont have a problem with, just trying to convince him to not get the i7 unless theirs a serious valid reason for it.

I always get the i7 because I convince myself I'm going to do something that needs it, but honestly I never do. Pure clocks are more important for gaming, and the HT doesn't help.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Get the i5, OC it and put the saved money into a more powerful video card or a larger SSD or something, for just gaming the i5 will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
What country are you in?

- Australia

- Playing DOTA2 only (can I get away with a 32GB mSATA SSD?)

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.

- AUD400-600

- Monitor resolution is 1360x768 (it's a TV). It has to run DOTA2 on high.

Other needs:

- the case will be mounted to the back of the monitor so it needs to be vesa compatible and as small as possible.

I've been eyeing the AMD A10 7870K because that has really good intergrated graphic performance and means I don't have buy a dGPU and subsequently a bigger case. This is the case I have my eye on at the moment: http://www.mini-box.com.au/M350%20Universal%20Mini-ITX%20enclosure.html

Are there other options? NUCS that would outperform the A10 for less money?

• Locked thread