Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

A classic given new life. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Jesus, its even worse than I could imagine. How could any dwarf player who cared about the lore continue to play AoS?

I guess they aren't.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So are the homoerotic Tym of Fynlynnd Pillar-man Dwarves actually the unwitting pawns who will free Slaanesh? I'd be down with that if that was their plan with the "story"

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yes.

Also they're willing to fight alongside Chaos to get it.

gently caress this Fluff

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

quote:

Odo: Humanoid death rituals are an interest of mine.
Quark: Death rituals?
Odo: Everybody needs a hobby.
Odo: Some species burn their dead, others pack them in blocks of ice. Some even surround themselves with the company of family corpses. But the Ferengi Duardin ritual, of chopping up their loved ones and selling them, huhuhuh, I find that... irresistible.
Quark: I'm very busy here.
Odo: What a fitting and distinguished way to honour the memory of great Ferengi entrepreneurs Duardin ancestors. I'm thinking of starting a collection, putting up a display case in my office. There'll be a special space in there reserved just for you, Quark Mr. Kirby.

The world's most premiere miniatures company brings you Cytydyl Stytyc Gryss™, yours for $49.99UG ($1900 AUD)
Or buy the Byttlygryss Gryynyry bundle, containing 14 tubs of Cytydyl Stytyc Gryss™ for the savings of $750UG ($The Price Of Australia Itself AUD)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TKIY posted:

Looks like there will be some restock of these items after all:

So I might have a chance to buy some Warhammer figurines to use for Kings of War :downs:

Because I was thinking of getting some dwarfs...I love me some short armored dudes with anger problems and big cannons

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Please order from the Good Universe's GW instead http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs.html

(Yeah, their models are a bit poo poo. But at least you're not giving money to Bad GW.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 12, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I might have a chance to buy some Warhammer figurines to use for Kings of War :downs:

Because I was thinking of getting some dwarfs...I love me some short armored dudes with anger problems and big cannons

Avenging Dentist posted:

Please order from the Good Universe's GW instead http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs.html

(Yeah, their models are a bit poo poo. But at least you're not giving money to Bad GW.)
They're ok from a distance but they do lack variety which is where these guys come in:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=53&armycode=Dwarfs

About £25/$35 for a box of 20 detailed plastic dwarves (vs 10 in the GW boxes I think) and they should blend in nicely with the Mantic ones too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

richyp posted:

They're ok from a distance but they do lack variety which is where these guys come in:

About £25/$35 for a box of 20 detailed plastic dwarves (vs 10 in the GW boxes I think) and they should blend in nicely with the Mantic ones too.

Those look pretty good, shame their "light elf" line is so sparse, otherwise I could use them to spruce up my Mantic elves.

Oh and their dark elves have bare tits. Sometimes this hobby is still terrible.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Not a viking posted:

Jesus, its even worse than I could imagine. How could any dwarf player who cared about the lore continue to play AoS?

I guess they aren't.

Their most iconic characters ultimate fate is either) to have his remains be used as a drug by cargo cult slayers or alternatively to have those same dwarves unwittingly serve chaos in his name.

Gotrek's great doom was a terrible one indeed.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Drone posted:

Those look pretty good, shame their "light elf" line is so sparse, otherwise I could use them to spruce up my Mantic elves.

Oh and their dark elves have bare tits. Sometimes this hobby is still terrible.

Seems to be a common problem with Dark Elves, raging heroes have some really nice sculpts but their "Vestals" (Witch Elves) are basically pairs of tits on legs holding daggers. Best bet with elves is to go through Reapers catalogue and hope for the best. Alternatively as I mentioned in the DIY wargame thread there's a nice site I like to use called miniset that lets you search for models across pretty much every manufacturer:

http://miniset.net/set-finder/elf?page=9

PSA: first 8 pages are GW so I've linked it from 9 onwards.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Is it :tinfoil: grog-poo poo to think GW never ran out of the Last Chance to Buy models and planned the whole thing as a two-stage milking from the start?

richyp posted:

Seems to be a common problem with Dark Elves, raging heroes have some really nice sculpts but their "Vestals" (Witch Elves) are basically pairs of tits on legs holding daggers. Best bet with elves is to go through Reapers catalogue and hope for the best. Alternatively as I mentioned in the DIY wargame thread there's a nice site I like to use called miniset that lets you search for models across pretty much every manufacturer:

http://miniset.net/set-finder/elf?page=9

PSA: first 8 pages are GW so I've linked it from 9 onwards.
Bare tits or not those are good models that capture GW's old Dark Elf art better than most of GW's own models. Their not-daemonettes are better than GW's too, admittedly because they're ripoffs of the old metal daemonettes instead but still.

Skinty McEdger posted:

. All of the Fyreslayer's runemasters were once Chaos Dwarves
this is the kind of weird fuckin blindness that makes AoS great. The only possible reason for this detail is as fanservice to the old ham fans who like CDs but everything about is is designed to piss them off.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saint Drogo posted:

Is it :tinfoil: grog-poo poo to think GW never ran out of the Last Chance to Buy models and planned the whole thing as a two-stage milking from the start?

Isn't that illegal?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Just because it's very silly, to expand.

At the end of the last Gotrek novel he apparently ascends to become Grimnir, the slayer god. In the time between the End Times and Age of Sigmar Grimnir takes on the greatest monster, Vulcatrix, and dies in the effort of killing it. The Fyreslayers break away from the rest of Dwarven culture, believe that Grimnir's soul has been shattered into millions of pieces and been spread throughout the realms and are now obsessed with reclaiming it (and tattooing themselves with it).

But it's also implied that perhaps they've been misled about this all, and in fact the Ur-gold has nothing to do with Grimnir but instead is Slaanesh and in undergoing the whole process they're in fact freeing her from her confinement by the elves.

Oh and I guess Ur-Gold is also one of the things that links Age Of Sigmar to 40k, as its a forgotten bit of Ork lore from 4th edition.

Edit:
Oh I guess I forgot as well, the reason the Fyreslayers tattoo Ur-gold into ruins on their body is because their runemasters told them by doing so they would be mightier and closer to Grimnir's perfection. All of the Fyreslayer's runemasters were once Chaos Dwarves, a fact that is common knowledge amongst the Fyreslayers but which for some reason they're too stupid to realise might be a bad idea.

Fun fact: The killing of Vulcatrix led to the creation of volcanoes in the fire realm, because they need a reason for volcanoes to be there, and not just "well it's a fire realm, they were there all along!".

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Saint Drogo posted:

Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to incompetence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Avatars of War's witch elves aren't terribly offensive in person; They're bare chested but the real problem is that the faces are weird and bad.

AoW also does a dumb thing where they rotate production and then you can't find the stuff anywhere. I like their chaos warriors, but the Nurgle-ish ones are all I can find.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They have to clear the shelf space for the new third type of not dwarves when they finally get around to officially announcing them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Naked dwarves that aren't in boring T-poses? Sign me the gently caress up.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to incompetence.

That actually seems like a fair move from them considering how some models sold almost instantly and lots of people were angry.

People complained, they can still manufacture the stuff, so they're doing a last hurrah. Customer service 101, generate some goodwill.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Not a viking posted:

I guess they aren't.

Fyreslayers are only one faction of Dwarves, not the only faction. Classic dwarves are still there is all their grudgy shooty glory

Chaos Dwarves also got rules published for AOS through forgeworld

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i heard that AoS calls dwarfs "big doody heads", but the old dwarf source book said "these guys are cool and smart". dwarf players ARE BEING INSULTED by this new fluff!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Pawl posted:

Fyreslayers are only one faction of Dwarves, not the only faction. Classic dwarves are still there is all their grudgy shooty glory

Chaos Dwarves also got rules published for AOS through forgeworld

Classic dwarves were in the last batch of discontinued lines. In the storyline they've become an insular community in their own territory and want nothing to do with the business of the other realms and races.

Outside of being mentioned in the context of the Fyreslayers, Chaos Dwarves don't actually show up in any of the fluff.

There's a new dwarf faction being introduced in the fluff currently. They became separated from the rest of the dwarves in the realm of metal and the Sigmarines are looking for them with no idea what they might find when they do. These will almost certainly be the new non slayer dwarves mini's.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If the human armies are just repacks of the old Empire stuff does that mean people on the shiny gold outer space city still wear pantaloons and slashed sleeves and neck ruffs like their ancestors did thousands of years ago.
I know this is a stupid question, but i can't help it. The setting is so boring and the one thing I'd find mildly interesting would be some concept art of what's going on inside the crescent space station city. Where are the slums, where are the nice parts, etc. And not interesting enough to have a game about it but just, more interesting than literally not interesting at all.

Or hell how do you even get between the reality balls. it's with stargates, right?

I believe that the answer is yes, there are explicitly people who have decided to LARP being Empire soldiers and dress up in foofy pants and poo poo to go and fight Chaos because there are basically some sort of turbonerd reenactors.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I was loathe to ever pick up Witch Elves (I was a Black Ark Corsair kind of guy) because the metal models were fairly atrocious and I knew I wouldn't have the skill to paint them up decently. When I heard GW was doing a plastic kit a few years ago, I was very excited since their Dark Eldar stuff was so handsome, but in the end they were really almost a step backwards. Now that everything has crashed into the ground and the metal witch elves are even harder to find, I looked at Avatar of War's "Vestals of Nemesis" since they came up here. It seem they're gone off of the AoW website, but that Raging Heroes' metal set of similarly named "Blood Vestals" might be a bit nicer as sculpts anyway. I agree with Saint Drogo that these seem to do a pretty good job, and I at least have dealt with RH before when my wife picked up Skaarlys for a painting project, so the quality is attested to. I just want to know why not!Witch Elves can't have the white lady dreads/braids a la 6th Ed. models or Warhammer Online.

At present I am considering Hildegaard for a Halfling Master Engineer for KoW, but without the full box I'll be missing out on Walter there :ohdear::

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Syrnn posted:

I was loathe to ever pick up Witch Elves (I was a Black Ark Corsair kind of guy) because the metal models were fairly atrocious and I knew I wouldn't have the skill to paint them up decently. When I heard GW was doing a plastic kit a few years ago, I was very excited since their Dark Eldar stuff was so handsome, but in the end they were really almost a step backwards. Now that everything has crashed into the ground and the metal witch elves are even harder to find, I looked at Avatar of War's "Vestals of Nemesis" since they came up here. It seem they're gone off of the AoW website, but that Raging Heroes' metal set of similarly named "Blood Vestals" might be a bit nicer as sculpts anyway. I agree with Saint Drogo that these seem to do a pretty good job, and I at least have dealt with RH before when my wife picked up Skaarlys for a painting project, so the quality is attested to. I just want to know why not!Witch Elves can't have the white lady dreads/braids a la 6th Ed. models or Warhammer Online.

At present I am considering Hildegaard for a Halfling Master Engineer for KoW, but without the full box I'll be missing out on Walter there :ohdear::

I grabbed the white metal variant of this one because i'm creepy to paint up. I'd say the level of detail and casting quality is pretty much on the same level as CB's Infinity models in other words really good. There were also no mold lines which was a nice surprise but I could've just been lucky.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Well I noted above that the wife's Skaarlys is a pretty excellently cast metal mini, and similarly no mold lines or even really flash of any stripe in the blister. We picked it up at a hobby store we happened into while driving across Ontario, and it was my first encounter with Raging Heroes. I'm a bit sad to see that their whole schtick is being all the cheesecake miniatures that Corvus Belli has stopped trying to be with Infinity, but if their Witch Elves Vestals are as clean as their character blisters, it may be the worth it as the first addition to my Dark Elves that I will make since ordering Mengil Manhide & Co.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Okay so thinking about the rest of the space on this 12" x 12" and I though about little chevrons that you could stack for easy to forget unit modifiers like so:

These can stack on the corner, and they will nest with the bigger markers on the end.

I have a generic 'Magic Item' one, and 'Inspiring'. Good idea? What else would you throw in there. 'Elite' maybe?

Final sketch up:

Added blocking/difficult terrain markers, vicious and elite markers, and a 9" straight movement marker that will allow you to go front corner to front corner with the guide as a straightedge.

I've tried not to add anything that is army specific since I have several friends I am getting these cut for and only one has any ratmen models :/

My local guy figures about $30CDN for an MDF set and $45CDN for an Acrylic set of those tokens. Not too bad consider the amount of laser time for all the raster engraving. If anyone is interested in a set PM me and I'll have a final price shortly.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh. The pose on that Hildegard mini is awful. Leaning away from the rifle rather than into it, awful chicken-wing elbow, lovely off-balance stance. This is a woman who is about to be put on her rear end by her own blunderbuss.

OK, for real, it should be a rule - before you sculpt someone with a gun professionally, you should have to actually shoot a gun. Probably the same with swinging a sword or ginormous axe.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think we need more Perry brothers mishaps...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I wonder if he's ever sculpted a one-handed cannon loader?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Radish posted:

I don't think we need more Perry brothers mishaps...

I dunno, they do sculpt some pretty solid riflemen. The system works!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

I dunno, they do sculpt some pretty solid riflemen. The system works!

I wonder then if the newer GW sculptors spend most of the day standing in a T-pose. :downsrim:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ilor posted:

I wonder if he's ever sculpted a one-handed cannon loader?

If he hasn't he needs to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

richyp posted:

I wonder then if the newer GW sculptors spend most of the day standing in a T-pose. :downsrim:

If you assume that this is because they are chained to the wall in the basement, suddenly a lot of things begin to make a lot of sense. :ohdear:

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The Perry Brothers have already done the single greatest tongue-in-cheek mini ever :colbert:

Ilor posted:

Ugh. The pose on that Hildegard mini is awful. Leaning away from the rifle rather than into it, awful chicken-wing elbow, lovely off-balance stance. This is a woman who is about to be put on her rear end by her own blunderbuss.

OK, for real, it should be a rule - before you sculpt someone with a gun professionally, you should have to actually shoot a gun. Probably the same with swinging a sword or ginormous axe.

Well, we're talking Fantasy wargaming miniatures here. If you really want to give yourself a brain aneurysm feel free to look at pretty much 95% of miniatures out there to enjoy the fantastically retarded stances of swordsmen, or the limp-wristed grips spearmen will have, or any number of what the gently caress factors that make up this darling hobby. I'm going to stand by liking the model, the properly Warhams Empire feel it has, and :krad: details like the back of her coat:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't disagree that the miniature has a great feel and lots of cool details. But it actually bothers me a lot more when an otherwise awesome miniature has really basic problems (like the underlying pose). It just really looks like they started with an armature that had that popped hip and built everything on top of that instead of working around the actual action. The miniature would be basically perfect if the stock was squared to her shoulder and her body was actually over her pelvis.

I actually still like it and it's a great choice as a character figure for something like an Empire engineer/marksmen, it just kills me they got so close and bombed on fundamentals.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

richyp posted:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=53&armycode=Dwarfs

drat those look nice! I might have to get some along with some of the Manic Games ones (their artillery and fully armored dwarfs don't look too bad).

Just gotta wait for that bonus from work and I can start forging some narrative :saddowns:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Syrnn posted:

The Perry Brothers have already done the single greatest tongue-in-cheek mini ever :colbert:

I'm dumb can you explain the joke?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

King Richard III's body was recently discovered under a handicapped spot in a parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The remains of Richard III were discovered under a car park/parking lot in Leicester back in 2013.

• Locked thread