Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Having Ashley Burch voicing a character in a game about crazy game devs letting their ego ruin everything is incredibly :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm pretty sure she's never been a game dev on anything so idk what you're ironicating about

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure she's never been a game dev on anything so idk what you're ironicating about

Thanks for letting us know. I think he might mean more "appropriate" than "ironic", since she also voiced on colonial marines and evolve. There isn't an emote for that though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
She voices a lot of things these days which is cool as someone who used to watch HAWP pretty often. I had no idea she played Chloe in Life is Strange until I was looking up things after the fact. Ms Pauling in TF2, too!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Cassie Cage in Mortal Kombat X too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

It's also a lengthy gently caress-you to Ken Levine from his former employees after the disastrous production of Bioshock Inifinite.

Which is funny, 'cause Ken Levine does a voice-acting cameo.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I was really stoked to try The Magic Circle, but it wouldn't stop crashing. At first I thought they were setting up a joke or something, but no.

First time I've ever had to use the steam refund thing. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flatluigi posted:

She voices a lot of things these days which is cool as someone who used to watch HAWP pretty often. I had no idea she played Chloe in Life is Strange until I was looking up things after the fact. Ms Pauling in TF2, too!

I will never not be amused over that Ashley Burch has such a prominent VA role in one of one of the most violent game series ever made when she herself loves to spout so much debunked bullshit about violence in games, but I suppose money will always trump morals.

And she is indeed quite talented, it takes a very special kind of VA to voice a bubbly pop idol in one of the most boring and monotone ways I have ever heard, shame Bailey was busy with Gears 4, we could have had her reprise her role in P4 Dancing all night.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the alpha protocol talk is making me want to run through the game--never finished my first run for some reason. I guess I had trouble following the plot

The game doesn't make it easy, there's a bunch of stuff which clarifies things but which you're not guaranteed to see. It makes it great fodder for a thread like this but it can be a little frustrating to follow if you've never played it before. Half the fun for me of a second playthrough was figuring out what the hell X guy's deal is, and why Y happened, etc. Half the fun of all the times I played after that was getting things to play out differently!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

The game doesn't make it easy, there's a bunch of stuff which clarifies things but which you're not guaranteed to see. It makes it great fodder for a thread like this but it can be a little frustrating to follow if you've never played it before. Half the fun for me of a second playthrough was figuring out what the hell X guy's deal is, and why Y happened, etc. Half the fun of all the times I played after that was getting things to play out differently!

Except for the gelato store guy. He will always remain a mystery.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Except for the gelato store guy. He will always remain a mystery.

Dude just wanted to serve you some sweet gelato, until you shot him.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Dude just wanted to serve you some sweet gelato, until you shot him.

Well, he should acknowledge the drat passphrase then. And wiping whatever gelato is through your hair is just nasty.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Alteisen posted:

I will never not be amused over that Ashley Burch has such a prominent VA role in one of one of the most violent game series ever made when she herself loves to spout so much debunked bullshit about violence in games, but I suppose money will always trump morals.

Jesus christ it's 2016. Stop calling out hypocrisy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Because I just found out that people apparently didn't like this fact, I'm just going to put this in this thread apropos of nothing: the localization of Bravely Second rewrote the sidequests to remove the 'bad endings' to the choices you make. And holy poo poo was that a good choice.

Choices like that are a whole lot harder when the writers haven't preemptively decided that one of the two choices is wrong. Then it's up to you to actually make the choice yourself, and decide which one is the best option in your mind! Even when one of the choices is a loving Metal Gear villain's scheme, the fact that choice isn't frowned upon at all--and might work, in fact--is incredibly compelling and actually makes for interesting choices.

After being genuinely insulted by how badly Bethesda handled the big choice in Fallout 4, I am absolutely adoring that I've found a game that doesn't paint a choice I might want to make for personal reasons as wrong.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does it count as good writing when removing the consequence is what it takes to fix the situation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

poptart_fairy posted:

Does it count as good writing when removing the consequence is what it takes to fix the situation.

Keep in mind I don't know what the original versions are, but it's not like what we have is without negative consequence. Most of the choices are honestly pretty heady problems for what you'd expect from JRPG sidequests, and the negatives of what you're doing are very clear, they're just not actually the spotlight. A few of the ones I walked into, for example:

In siding with the Thief against the Red Mage, sure, I saved a desert from a drought. But in doing so, I caused the Red Mage's research on a renewable magical power source to be shuttered. Given that region was suffering from both a drought and energy issues in Default, both sides had pretty valid points.

Later, I saved a small family from having their ramshackle, seaside ancestral home being bought up by a businessman. Which is great, that gives you all the warm fuzzies... except for the fact that the man trying to buy it up wanted to turn the area into a functioning seaport, which would've saved a nation with nothing but a dry mine to its name. To make things worse there, I specifically made that choice because I wanted the Merchant job and the gold-gaining abilities it gets, so I sold out an entire country for my own selfish profits. WHOOPS

And finally, I defended a small sovereign nation's poor laws, allowing its elderly, its children and its underclass to live free! ...Unfortunately bread now costs five figures, and they've only really got an artisinal crafting industry to fall back on.

None of these are subtext for you to fill in yourself; they're all explicitly spelled out. But even with all of those, the ends of the sidequests are always hopeful and optimistic, focusing on why you made the right choice. And I think that is a lot more interesting than explicitly deciding that one of the two options is The Bad One.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I decided to go for NG+ with a friend in Dead Space 3. Near the beginning of the game, Isaac and Carver step out onto a street. As they do so, a cutscene with speeding and crashing vehicles plays in front of them.

It turn out that you can actually interact with those vehicles! My Stasis-infused bullets struck one jeep right as the cutscene began, and it gently levitated in the background (then rocketed away) as Isaac was busy losing his poo poo over Ellie in the foreground. I think it's a nice touch that you can interact with cutscene objects, especially since the physics engine has no clue what it's doing in the normal game without Stasis shenanigans.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Because I just found out that people apparently didn't like this fact, I'm just going to put this in this thread apropos of nothing: the localization of Bravely Second rewrote the sidequests to remove the 'bad endings' to the choices you make. And holy poo poo was that a good choice.

Choices like that are a whole lot harder when the writers haven't preemptively decided that one of the two choices is wrong. Then it's up to you to actually make the choice yourself, and decide which one is the best option in your mind! Even when one of the choices is a loving Metal Gear villain's scheme, the fact that choice isn't frowned upon at all--and might work, in fact--is incredibly compelling and actually makes for interesting choices.

After being genuinely insulted by how badly Bethesda handled the big choice in Fallout 4, I am absolutely adoring that I've found a game that doesn't paint a choice I might want to make for personal reasons as wrong.

I'm confused - did they keep the choices, but rewrite what occurs in the ones that end the game prematurely?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The way it works is this:

You make a choice in the game. In the Japanese no matter what choice you make it has a bad ending. Later in the game you get to make the choice again and if you make the same choice you get a 'good' ending for that particular choice. The choice still is a choice and still has consequences but the choice you make at least has a potentially positive outcome instead of a forced lovely outcome. However that choice can still be a 'bad ending' in that you're picking between two options and the consequences thereof.

The game still has negative consequences and you're still picking between two choices, it is just that you're not forced into a negative consequence unless you make the same decision twice.

Morpheus posted:

I'm confused - did they keep the choices, but rewrite what occurs in the ones that end the game prematurely?

None of them end the game prematurely. The 'bad endings' are endings to those sidequests as opposed to the game.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Apr 11, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ImpAtom posted:

None of them end the game prematurely. The 'bad endings' are endings to those sidequests as opposed to the game.
As opposed to, say, Radiant Historia.

"Well, Stocke, everything was going fine and then you decided to actually get some sleep, so the world ended, great loving job."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theshim posted:

As opposed to, say, Radiant Historia.

"Well, Stocke, everything was going fine and then you decided to actually get some sleep, so the world ended, great loving job."

Its more that that time line is defunct for all intents and purposes and while not necessarily bad, it wont actually change anything for the better. It's implied that sometimes months can pass before Stocke winds up bailing on it, you just skip all that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its more that that time line is defunct for all intents and purposes and while not necessarily bad, it wont actually change anything for the better. It's implied that sometimes months can pass before Stocke winds up bailing on it, you just skip all that.
Well, given that the game lays out "if poo poo doesn't change in a big way, everything will turn into desert and your countries will bleed themselves to death fighting over the last scraps of arable land to the bitter end", yes and no.

But that really was one thing I loved about the game. You get to jump around in time and mess with how things play out, but the game is also happy enough to present you with choices all over the place, and a lot of them - even the seemingly innocent ones - have remarkably dire consequences. But the game also puts those in their own short bad endings, and then you return to where you were. It doesn't punish the player for taking them, but still drops a lot of background into how things could go.

Radiant Historia was a really good game, yo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

theshim posted:

Radiant Historia was a really good game, yo.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go set fire to my own city.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Radiant History had a really clever way of handling time travel. Rather than every time travel branch creating its own branches there was one specific world breaking event that diverged the timeline into two specific but connecting timelines. Both timelines wanted to become one again so when you manipulate one timeline it means the other one twists to try to get back in sync. It's a good idea because it allows you to gently caress with timelines but without the infinite alternate universe issue and with a specific endgoal in mind. (Fix the timeline in such a way it doesn't lead to the end of the world.)

Time travel is always sort of weird but by focusing on specific rules in a very limited context it avoids most of the usual time travel issues.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just fought a deathclaw in an ancient rusty power armor suit and a serrated chinese blade in Fallout 4 and I WON.

Game has major issues but that was loving awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alteisen posted:

I just fought a deathclaw in an ancient rusty power armor suit and a serrated chinese blade in Fallout 4 and I WON.

Game has major issues but that was loving awesome.

Deathclaw fights are amazing in Fallout 4 and feel really brutal because they can pin you down or pick you up and rip you in two. Taking one down with a souped-up shotgun while in power armor is immense fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

The way it works is this:

You make a choice in the game. In the Japanese no matter what choice you make it has a bad ending. Later in the game you get to make the choice again and if you make the same choice you get a 'good' ending for that particular choice. The choice still is a choice and still has consequences but the choice you make at least has a potentially positive outcome instead of a forced lovely outcome. However that choice can still be a 'bad ending' in that you're picking between two options and the consequences thereof.

The game still has negative consequences and you're still picking between two choices, it is just that you're not forced into a negative consequence unless you make the same decision twice.

Thanks for laying that out for us!

I can see the logic behind the original plan; there's very much a 'learning from your mistakes' vibe to it, that you can go back and right your wrong. But since the first choice is likely going to be the one the player actually believes in, it's kind of lovely to give that one the bad end. The final result would end up being that the world the player actually wanted would be total poo poo, while the one they specifically disagreed with would turn out better, and given how heady and political some of these can be that would be especially bad. "Wooooo, actually helping people was bad, the right choice all along was to gently caress the poor!" D&D would have a field day with that sidequest.

I will note that the bad endings to the sidequests aren't relegated to making the same choices a second time, I did check that. But you are definitely encouraged to make the choice you didn't make before, if for no reason other than rewards; you don't get anything new for making the same choice twice, while you get the reward you missed out on the first time if you change your mind.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of The Magic Circle, I grabbed it when it went on sale on Steam and it's given me a different favourite little thing:

In the last act of the game, your objective becomes to build a linear dungeon out of prebuilt segments that gets played through by one of the characters (ie. the AI), who gives you a score based on how 'fun' they consider your dungeon to be. You can ship your level and finish the game once the character successfully makes it through your dungeon, with an achievement for that character giving you a 10/10.

However, after the credits are done, you have the option to watch a different character stream your dungeon. And the best part is that even though it'd be easy enough to just have the same AI play through the dungeon with different voice barks to represent the different character, the second character actually plays through on a different AI that is worse at the game than the first character, and so has a good chance of dying during the level if there's any close calls built in.

Considering the game's about game development, it was a rather nice touch and did a good job of illustrating the difference between playtested and played

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I watched the videos of that game in the Art Games thread - Loved the AI enjoying himself:

"What's this feeling? Am I actually having fun?!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dark Souls III indulges pyromaniacs.

The game doesn't tell you that you can set the wood pillars on fire and there's no real reason to, either. I was just hacking away at the furniture with my torch and I guess the game just went "duh what'd you think would happen you wisdom child"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Misread

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man it's going to be really nice to get back to refilling estus flasks rather than that bullshit with consumable blood vials.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Man it's going to be really nice to get back to refilling estus flasks rather than that bullshit with consumable blood vials.

Yeah, it's crazy, if you die, you can just... try again. No need to farm, no lost health, no weird soul memory clock ticking away inching you away from coop/pvp ranges.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Viperix posted:

Yeah, it's crazy, if you die, you can just... try again. No need to farm, no lost health, no weird soul memory clock ticking away inching you away from coop/pvp ranges.

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Deathclaw fights are amazing in Fallout 4 and feel really brutal because they can pin you down or pick you up and rip you in two. Taking one down with a souped-up shotgun while in power armor is immense fun.

There was also the guy who took one on with the World Series bat and knocked the deathclaw into a BOS vertibird

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Morpheus posted:

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

No the theme of despair isn't strong enough, every single soul lost by the player in a game that's about dying must be a permanent handicap against other players

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

There was also the guy who took one on with the World Series bat and knocked the deathclaw into a BOS vertibird

Tell me there's a gif of this.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

RBA Starblade posted:

Tell me there's a gif of this.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So in GTA V which is pretty much "Small Things: The Game" just now I'm playing as Michael and just about to go start The Paleto Bay Score. As I walk through the meth lab to start it the store front radio is playing "What a Fool Believes" by The Doobie Brothers. I like that song and I want to hear it louder so I head back out to my car and put it on the radio with the car parked up. Michael starts drumming on the steering wheel and dancing in his seat to the car. Never seen that before but it was such a cool little touch.

What is awesome about this is I have played the gently caress out of this game. On 360 I 100%'d it and must have put maybe 5 or 6 days of gameplay in and I bought it again on PS4 and must have put another day in and its incredible how I am still finding new stuff this far into playing it. I absolutely love how much care they put into this game world and how much they must have added for nextgen where in 1st person mode you can literally read the names of books written on the spines.

They seem to have thought of everything. An incredibly small touch is I got drunk as Trevor in his trailer which entails drinking maybe 5 or 6 beers in a row. Any other game would have the same animation on a loop but he did it a little differently each time. That is attention to detail at it's finest. Somebody sat there and put that poo poo into the game code and it never fails to impress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

They should've sent a poet.