Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't you usually armor the right forearm because the left is protected by your shield though? Without a shield there isn't a reason to armor differentially.

Maybe she's left-handed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just noticed this in The Late Mr. Kent, an STAS episode that aired in November 1997:

"FANS NIX NEW DUDS" is without a doubt the show's staff going :nono: at Blue Raspberry Superman, who premiered in Superman #123, shipping in March of that year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The animated series guys were always complaining about the 90s comics, if I recall. Their treatments of Bane and Doomsday are pretty obvious middle fingers to those characters' iconic stories.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The animated series guys were always complaining about the 90s comics, if I recall. Their treatments of Bane and Doomsday are pretty obvious middle fingers to those characters' iconic stories.
Unfortunately their treatments of Catwoman and Riddler were pretty awful too. :(

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Picklepuss posted:

Unfortunately their treatments of Catwoman and Riddler were pretty awful too. :(

And Riddler started out so well too.

"If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Toadstrieb posted:

Anyone else seen these new (VERY Cam Kennedy-influenced) Knights of Ren concept art pieces? Black series, take my money.

Does that guy on the left have a combination hockey stick and pizza cutter?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

Those are more like missteps.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does that guy on the left have a combination hockey stick and pizza cutter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_safW-zWHI&t=15s

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Amazing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Whirlygig Saw on a Stick: Making Hitstun Work for YOU"

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

McSpanky posted:

"Whirlygig Saw on a Stick: Making Hitstun Work for YOU"

I have a whirligig saw at +9 and got stumped at Lady Maria, tried to parry her instead. This might convince me to give her another

whirl

im sorry

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC's Chinese Super-Man is not coming out of the gates looking good.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Does the designer have any background in Chinese culture? I ask because that looks like the sort of design you'd get from someone well-meaning and willing to do their research, but lacking any personal experience in Sino-anything. Like, the sort of costume you'd get if you locked me in a library for two hours, and asked me to make a Chinese Superman suit. The predominance of red, the octagon logo—those are the sort of ideas I think you'd have from research.

What I can't say is whether the costume feels authentic to someone personally familiar with any sort of Chinese cultural experience. Maybe this is one of those cases in which a well-meaning, curious outsider and an engaged insider are apt to converge on the same ideas.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

X-O posted:

Not to make jokes about Chinese cheap copies, but it's really hard not to looking at this.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 12, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That really looks like someone drew a first draft and stopped.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

X-O posted:

HMm this looks like crap.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think it's really good and symbolises China as a nation perfectly, with the obvious basing in Mao Zedong's preferred design for the flag of the People's Republic of China.

The powerful red representing the Communist revolution of China, with yellow piping inspired by the original yellow bar that represented the literal tearing apart of the country the revolution brought about, and the single yellow star on the shoulder that represents the CPC as the shining saviour of the Chinese people - intelligently agreeing with several founders of the CPC in forgoing the extra four stars representing the social classes below the CPC, as two of the stars represented the hated bourgeoisie. It sends a strong statement that this is a Chinese Superman, specifically a Nationalist Communist Superman that rightfully believes in the justness of the Chinese Civil War and that all of the lower social classes are subordinate to the victorious members of the Communist Party of China.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Does the designer have any background in Chinese culture? I ask because that looks like the sort of design you'd get from someone well-meaning and willing to do their research, but lacking any personal experience in Sino-anything. Like, the sort of costume you'd get if you locked me in a library for two hours, and asked me to make a Chinese Superman suit. The predominance of red, the octagon logo—those are the sort of ideas I think you'd have from research.

What I can't say is whether the costume feels authentic to someone personally familiar with any sort of Chinese cultural experience. Maybe this is one of those cases in which a well-meaning, curious outsider and an engaged insider are apt to converge on the same ideas.

I dunno who designed it, but the writer sure does.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Luen_Yang

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

If he's flying forward, how come his cape isn't trailing behind him from the wind?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
unstable molecules, probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not a cape, it's a giant Pacman eating the sun that he needs to fight.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

X-O posted:

Is he supposed to actually be a Chinese person from China, instead of a Chinese-American, Chinese-Britain, etc? If so, shouldn't the emblem be in Chinese?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it's too awful myself, although the two-tone red look reminds me rather too much of the Flash.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Technically it's a Kryptonian symbol for 'hope', so there's no reason to translate it. :v:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Does not look very inspired. Also his name is Kenji which makes me really confused.

As an American-born Chinese guy who loves superhero comics and is married to a Chinese lady this whole thing sounded really interesting but looks stupid as poo poo.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 12, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ashcans posted:

Technically it's a Kryptonian symbol for 'hope', so there's no reason to translate it. :v:

But in English you don't constantly have to explain it to people who have no loving idea what the symbol for hope is in Kryptonian (so everyone)

Now everyone is like "The gently caress is the S for?"

(I get what you meant it is just a humorous scenario)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

But in English you don't constantly have to explain it to people who have no loving idea what the symbol for hope is in Kryptonian (so everyone)

Now everyone is like "The gently caress is the S for?"

(I get what you meant it is just a humorous scenario)

And he goes "Superman? Duh?" It's not like people in China have no clue what a dude with a cape and an S on his chest means.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gaz-L posted:

And he goes "Superman? Duh?" It's not like people in China have no clue what a dude with a cape and an S on his chest means.

I assume there is a Chinese symbol for "Superman" by now

EDIT: Related, but I just pictured the rocket landing in China instead of United States, haha "So uh there's this white baby here, what the gently caress is NASA doing these days?"

"Maybe he's Russian you racist"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

I assume there is a Chinese symbol for "Superman" by now

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Squizzle posted:

The predominance of red, the octagon logo

It's Stop Sign Man!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

X-O posted:

this costume really reminds me of

seriously wow that's bad

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why is Chinese superman wearing a stop sign on his chest?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Also why is Chinese superman using Latin letters as his symbol.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al-Saqr posted:

Also why is Chinese superman using Latin letters as his symbol.

Ashcans posted:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is he from Krypton though? Did Krypton have anything other than white people or is that just an effect of all the Kryptonians we see being Superman's relatives?

something something skin melanin yellow sun :biotruths:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So is he from the house of El?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hiddenriverninja posted:

So is he from the house of El?

As I understand it he is a born-on-Earth human being from China who gets Superman powers, somehow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think the usual method is blowjobs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember in the Lois and Clark TV series some loser gets 50% of Superman's powers by being struck by lightning at the same time as him. Is this canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Stop-Man.

Kenji Kong is also a really bad name.

• Locked thread