Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"im a minimalist so i spent $79 on a watch that doesnt tell time; i like keeping my life centered on the things that matter" -minimalism_as_bourgeoisie_asceticism.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you have an ugly hundred dollar hoodie, a Twitter account with eight followers, and a watch that doesn't tell time. you are, without a doubt, the worst millennial I've ever heard of

but you have heard of me ;)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lancemantis posted:

"im a minimalist so i spent $79 on a watch that doesnt tell time; i like keeping my life centered on the things that matter" -minimalism_as_bourgeoisie_asceticism.txt

:spergin: "bourgeois" is the adjective form

that word's got too many vowels

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rocketbook-wave-cloud-ready-microwavable-notebook#/

this might actually be clever but I read the project title and was 'lol the what does a what now?' :o:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

lancemantis posted:

I got a better looking watch that actually tells time for that much

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

keyboard vomit posted:

I got a better looking watch that actually tells time for that much

yeah but does it ~make a statement~ about how little you need, how focused you are on the core things that matter in life instead of consumer distractions, and how you are willing to spend any amount of your six figgy salary to show that to the world?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rocketbook-wave-cloud-ready-microwavable-notebook#/

this might actually be clever but I read the project title and was 'lol the what does a what now?' :o:
one million, one hundred twelve, two hundred forty-five dollars

here's the instructions for microwaving your cloud-enabled notebook http://wave.getrocketbook.com/instructions

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 11, 2016

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

anthonypants posted:

here's the instructions for microwaving your cloud-enabled notebook

never thought i'd read that sentence in my life, outside a lovely cyberpunk novel (which is what life is these days, i guess)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

lancemantis posted:

yeah but does it ~make a statement~ about how little you need, how focused you are on the core things that matter in life instead of consumer distractions, and how you are willing to spend any amount of your six figgy salary to show that to the world?

No it lets me know what time it is

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

this i have no problem believing. i grew up on jacques cousteau and national geographic books about cool poo poo under the water. for a while, my favorite super hero was aquaman, because he could swim really well and breathe under water (not because of anything he did; just the abilities seemed amazing to me)

unfortunately, i am an enormous coward, and always have been

idk maybe this conversation is about to get weird but i was really the same way until i really internalized the fact of my own eventual death and non-existence. like, no matter how careful you are, that is definitely, really going to happen and you have no idea when or how.

viewed that way, there is no truly safe path through life, so life can't be a matter of avoiding death entirely. instead it becomes a matter of managing the tradeoff between having experiences and managing risk. i just try to have an accurate perception of the risks i'm taking and minimize them as much as possible, but i will take some risks in the pursuit of experiences that i feel contribute significantly to my life.

plus it kinda feels good to do something that scares the rear end off you enough times to get to the point where you're actually very good at it and comfortable with it. i'm still a huge pussy about large sharks though, and plan to continue being so; i don't find them interesting enough to risk hanging out with them if i can avoid it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Trig Discipline posted:

idk maybe this conversation is about to get weird but i was really the same way until i really internalized the fact of my own eventual death and non-existence. like, no matter how careful you are, that is definitely, really going to happen and you have no idea when or how.

viewed that way, there is no truly safe path through life, so life can't be a matter of avoiding death entirely. instead it becomes a matter of managing the tradeoff between having experiences and managing risk. i just try to have an accurate perception of the risks i'm taking and minimize them as much as possible, but i will take some risks in the pursuit of experiences that i feel contribute significantly to my life.

plus it kinda feels good to do something that scares the rear end off you enough times to get to the point where you're actually very good at it and comfortable with it. i'm still a huge pussy about large sharks though, and plan to continue being so; i don't find them interesting enough to risk hanging out with them if i can avoid it

otoh you can probably reasonably predict the time and manner of the deaths of those who buy and use the Kickstarter project

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
mos def

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
And i mean, sharks, i suspect theyre a fairly solved problem no? Super lean optimized minmax fish-to-poop converters, pretty much, right?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm not sure i understand the question but sharks are pretty good at being sharks

they're basically like the underwater version of cats; if there's one anywhere near your size class that decides to go after you, you're basically hosed. unlike cats, though, sharks won't decide that poo poo just recreationally

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean sharks can be like "hey i don't know if i can eat that or not, i should bite it just to check", but cats are like "i'm not even hungry, but i'm bored enough to just murder stuff for fun"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm not sure i understand the question but sharks are pretty good at being sharks

they're basically like the underwater version of cats; if there's one anywhere near your size class that decides to go after you, you're basically hosed. unlike cats, though, sharks won't decide that poo poo just recreationally

is it true that they'll go away if you punch them in the nose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMf945U600&t=972s

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 12, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMf945U600&t=972s

i've heard tons of anecdotes of it working, and the mythbusters had good luck with it. i've never had cause to try it; i mostly just try to not be where sharks are if possible

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

i think it's preferable not to have to punch a shark in the first place

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i would consider diving if i could wear one of these

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

we call it assisted suicide on this shore

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

prefect posted:

i'll have you know sir that lara croft used that technique successfully

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that watch reminds me of those android people who remove absolutely everything from the home screen and make it so doing anything on your phone takes three taps, two swipes, and a pagan ritual. because "minimalist"

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I kinda thought this was a dumb kickstarter at first but the more I think about it it seems p. cool even tho it's still a kickstarter lolhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Squeezy Farm posted:

I kinda thought this was a dumb kickstarter at first but the more I think about it it seems p. cool even tho it's still a kickstarter lolhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto/
haha more like, socialautism.com

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's a trap! ha ha

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
if they pull that off that could be awesome but I feel like that's a big if

I also feel like it's kind of a bad thing for getting people to change, Lord knows I said things ten years ago that now me wants to punch past me for

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

she my trap queen, let her alert the landos

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prefect posted:

those ones with the tube at the top occasionally malfunction and suck up the diver through the tube

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

computer parts posted:

those ones with the tube at the top occasionally malfunction and suck up the diver through the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRC5R1jRO58&t=57s

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah that poo poo is horrifying

anyone who hasn't read about the byford dolphin, you are in for a treat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

quote:

The first two steps had been completed when, for an unknown reason, one of the tenders (Crammond) opened the clamp before Diver 4 (Hellevik) could close the door to the chamber. This resulted in the explosive decompression of the unsealed chamber. Air rushed out of the chamber with tremendous force, jamming the interior trunk door and pushing the bell away, striking the two tenders. The tender who opened the clamp was killed while the other was severely injured.[citation needed]

Coward, Lucas, and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs of the chest and abdomen except the trachea and a section of small intestine and of the thoracic spine and projecting them some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.[5]

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Trig Discipline posted:

jeeeesus

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trig Discipline posted:

you forgot to include the diagram

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DaTroof posted:

jeeeesus

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
welcome to pyf

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
can i also interest you in the wikipedia article about Fan Death

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaa

Trig Discipline posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
🎵 if you're looooking for me, 🎵

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
byford dolphin and sl-1 are my two favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Squeezy Farm posted:

https://twitter.com/socialcoroner/status/720739887851417600

• Locked thread