Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Does he always use "1" as an upper case "i"?

And, as a renter, I cheerfully await the housing Armageddon than may or may not happen in our nation.

I assume the 1's are just abbreviations denoting 'one'...it makes the advice giver sound more financially astute.

'If 1 does not fail at times, then 1 has not challenged himself...'

Now shut up and buy a house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rudager posted:

I'm trying to figure out what "Computer" is a code word for.

Bitcoin machine

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Rudager posted:

I'm trying to figure out what "Computer" is a code word for.

Alienware

Meth

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
What do Realdolls cost? I think it's that.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's one to watch: YOLO $350K in Small Chinese Gaming Company $CYOU (from r/wallstreetbets)

e: This one's a little farther along: 27k student + private loan to get rich or die trying

quote:

Got 27k loan, most student loans, 8k prosper loan. I lost 16k from options

blew up about 6k on partying

have 7k more to get back on feet (need to make it at 23k to breakeven)

Gonna go all in on next trade, thinking to buy USO puts just before the meeting (this Friday)

Here's the snap of my account http://i.imgur.com/RzFROAr.png

Share your thoughts, should I kill myself or should keep going until I buy a yacht. YOLO

UPDATE: seems like people are hating lel. I'll get back to 25k within couple of months, I'll update this post.

Better bookmark this one, there's gonna be a big comeback.

Also if you think you have bigger balls than me then you better prove it before talking poo poo, because this YOLOer has been there, done that, and going out for me. Cheers fags

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Top comment is "Put some money aside for a gun."

:drat:

Gotta love that little "Cheers fags" he throws in at the end there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think he might lose money.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

I think he might lose money.

Perfect username/post/av/thread combination.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

The response of an Australian when I said having 60% of your pay going to a house, (on a salary of $100,000) is loving stupid:

If say the extremely low mortgage rates doubled at some point in the future then he only has to pay 120% of his net income. I see no problems there.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

CelestialScribe posted:

The response of an Australian when I said having 60% of your pay going to a house, (on a salary of $100,000) is loving stupid:

The craziest thing about this is that living on 40% of your income is very GWM and sets you up to be financially independent in ~13 years, if (and that's a big huge loving if, I guess) you just invest in a boring collection of index funds. But if you're gambling on houses, that number could be anything from 5 years to never.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

pig slut lisa posted:

The craziest thing about this is that living on 40% of your income is very GWM and sets you up to be financially independent in ~13 years, if (and that's a big huge loving if, I guess) you just invest in a boring collection of index funds. But if you're gambling on houses, that number could be anything from 5 years to never.

Good job he doesn't need to eat or doing anything be exist inside his house.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Does he always use "1" as an upper case "i"?

And, as a renter, I cheerfully await the housing Armageddon than may or may not happen in our nation.

There can be a housing armageddon and prices in Southern California, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, and Austin will still continue to rise. =/

VVVVVVVVVVV -- I'd love to meet this person who has the 20% saved but chooses not to put it down. Outside of that person, the word "can't" to describe someone who doesn't have the 20% down is pretty accurate.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 13, 2016

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
More property fun! Explaining why driving two hours to work each way in order to get to work and afford a house is stupid. But nah, I'm just a lazy gen-y!

quote:

ME:

And a two-hour commute each isn't just a "sacrifice". It's idiotic.

IDIOT:

Exactly my point folks. No compromise, willingness to concede an inch.

ME:

I never said I want everything now.

IDIOT:

Yes you have.

ME:

On the other hand, plenty of people in this thread borrowing money from the bank because they couldn't save up a large-enough deposit.

IDIOT:

Couldn't? Wrong. (a) you don't know anyone's circumstances here unless they have explicitly said so, (b) you have no idea they couldn't save the required 20%. Many people elect to buy now and take the graduated LMI payment rather than waiting to save the magical and mystical 20% deposit. It's not because they can't, it's because that is what they choose, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't hear anyone in here squealing in regret about not having saved 20%.....instead I hear people saying they are happy with the way they structured their own purchases.

Oh, and also:

quote:

Adapt, make a sacrifice here and there (change locations, change states, change jobs, whatever)

Just change careers to afford a house guys!

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Commuting two hours so you can own a house: Compromise.
Forgoing ownership so you can have a sane commute: Clearly not a compromise on anything.

The power of justifying your past decisions is strong in this one.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Some excellent wisdom on interest-only loans. Which are a good idea, I swear!

[quote[But just to add onto it, it's not a bad option if you're a home occupier either: IO repayments + offset account is probably the best set up you could go for judging by your situation. It sounds like you're good at saving money, which is in harmony with a IO/Offset setup, mainly because every dollar you save and put into the offset it lowers your interest only repayments.

Example with numbers so you get a clearer picture:

You have a 400k loan.
You have 100k savings.
You put 100k into your offset, your IO repayments would be calculated (daily) off 300k and you have the security and convenience of cashflow and access of your 100k.

Only "downside" is that you can't get interest on your offset account, which is fine because you'd be taxed on interest, and you're already saving mega buxx on your repayments.[/quote]

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A $300k-$400k loan and they can only pay interest only? :gary:

It seems weird to me to want to buy a house and then rent it forever.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Today I overheard a wonderful conversation in the office elevator. It started with:

"The Raptors season tickets aren't too expensive. It's about $3000 for next year. And I don't want to cheap out and have to sit next to bunch of poor people."

Followed by this tidbit from the same person: "I was planning on a trip to South America, but I'm not sure if I can afford the airfare. And, oh- are we doing the lottery pool, this week??"

Doesn't want to sit next to the poors at the basketball game, has to cancel their vacation due to being broke, and plays the lotto. Totally not a poor person, though. :eng101:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

melon cat posted:

Today I overheard a wonderful conversation in the office elevator. It started with:

"The Raptors season tickets aren't too expensive. It's about $3000 for next year. And I don't want to cheap out and have to sit next to bunch of poor people."

Followed by this tidbit from the same person: "I was planning on a trip to South America, but I'm not sure if I can afford the airfare. And, oh- are we doing the lottery pool, this week??"

Doesn't want to sit next to the poors at the basketball game, has to cancel their vacation due to being broke, and plays the lotto. Totally not a poor person, though. :eng101:

AFAIK, Raptors tickets are very expensive. And I do know $3,000 isn't that much for season tickets. I paid about that much for mine with a different team and that was midlevel. The real kicker is that the poor person is too stupid to figure out that his $3,000 tickets are probably more like $4500+ tickets because who goes to all the regular season games and then skips the playoffs? Though, I guess with the Raptors history he might be buying maybe 3 postseason games at most. =O

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I choose to believe it was a tongue in cheek poors comment.

It's like when I scoop ice out of the freezer instead of getting it from a dispenser and I whine that scooping is for poors. Ice trays are on par with some WWII rationing.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

melon cat posted:

I maintain that contributing to the office pool is about the best use of those two dollars because it ensures that, should a very unlikely event happen, you won't be stuck being the last bastard to show up on Monday when they are all off busy being millionaires.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

I maintain that contributing to the office pool is about the best use of those two dollars because it ensures that, should a very unlikely event happen, you won't be stuck being the last bastard to show up on Monday when they are all off busy being millionaires.

My office used to make us all sign guarantees that everyone in the pool wouldn't quit at the same time and we would quit in shifts over 1 month. I always laughed at that thing because there's nothing at all legal about it and gently caress them if they thought I would show up to work if I was immediately independently wealthy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We just ban office pools of all sorts. :haw: We don't even have a NCAA March Madness office bracket.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sundae posted:

We don't even have a NCAA March Madness office bracket.

Are you hiring?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Oh hey look, aggregate BWM

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I would assume that anyone who was the office pool custodian would say that the ticket that won was a personal one that they don't have to share and then drama happens.

Edit: At least that's my reasoning, my office doesn't do one

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

crazypeltast52 posted:

I would assume that anyone who was the office pool custodian would say that the ticket that won was a personal one that they don't have to share and then drama happens.

All tickets need to be purchased, scanned and disseminated before the draw.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I had a friend in Penssylvania at a volunteer fire station where I was who got a surprise inheritance of around two million bucks.

She was working as the lone officer of some loving bumfuck small town deep in the boonies of Pennsultucky and she kept working for many months so that her town could hire another cop and get the dude trained.

It really made me admire her, she felt like she was a really bad public servant if she just went "gently caress all ya'll" and went home home to sip Margaritas.

...she didn't even like working there.

Cop thread here had awesome suggestions during power ball. Park a cruiser with lights on in the middle of an intersection, radio the dispatch about it and say you are gonna walk home.

Lighting it on fire would also be cool, but noted as criminal act.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I read this earlier and thought of you guys:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_bills/2016/04/ask_the_bills_i_inherited_a_fortune_should_i_pay_off_my_fiance_s_student.html

URL sums it up pretty well. It's BWM bingo. If it were a BWM drinking game, I'd be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning.

And leaving the cruiser in the intersection would be hilarious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Mero Mero posted:

Oh hey look, aggregate BWM

I'm glad nurses are paid more than nerdses at least.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

Unregistered nurses are bit cheaper and work a little faster but you can't use more than one of them per room.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Man, I knew that "don't call yourself a computer programmer" was good advice but it's still super weird to see "Programmer" get like 20k less than "Developer".

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Coca Koala posted:

Man, I knew that "don't call yourself a computer programmer" was good advice but it's still super weird to see "Programmer" get like 20k less than "Developer".

I wouldn't be surprised if they're counting IT people as programmers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they're counting IT people as programmers

I'm not a programmer I'm an app experience artist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm not a contractor, I'm a Tech Support Ronin

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm not an elementary school teacher, I'm a juvenile ninja wrangler.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm not a slave, I'm an intern

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PCjr sidecar posted:

Unregistered nurses are bit cheaper and work a little faster but you can't use more than one of them per room.

:golfclap:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

crazypeltast52 posted:

No jokes this happened in Australia. I'm on mobile so I won't link now, but the story goes an office had a lotto pool, the guy bought the ticket and two personal tickets, then mysteriously disappeared from work a few weeks later.

His colleagues took him to court to force him to divulge if he won lotto (because, well, he quit his job and they noticed a boat outside his house -what is it about people and boats??) and to compel him to cough up their share.

Anyway the colleagues lost because the guy somehow proved the winning ticket was bought with personal money for himself.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
BWM: Falling for an obvious scam.

First, a valid question.

quote:

Fiancee calls needing me to transfer $500 to her bank account, legally can't tell me why. WTF?

There is no trust issue between us, and $500 is a lot of money so she's not spending it frivolously. She told me that the call was being recorded and that for legal reasons she could not tell me why she needed the money.

What possible scenario would involve her needing money, but being unable to tell any other person why she needs it?

Most replies suggest some sort of scam either by or on the fiancee. A few suggest contacting the authorities and some even try to offer valid reasons for this request.

quote:

This sounds like she got caught stealing from her employer and was told if she pays it back immediately, the employer will not call the police.

So he gives her the money and then posts this update:

quote:

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my question earlier.

My fiancee is home and safe.

She was involved in a quite complicated scam (as many of you had suspected). She got a call from "911" (spoofed number) from a person claiming to be an IRS agent. They stated that there was a warrant out for her arrest for evading taxes related to the colleges she's been to – all of this was information they had, as well as our home address. She was told that if she didn't agree to settle her debt immediately, or if she ended the phone call, officers would be coming to place her under arrest. Furthermore, they told her before she called me that if she disclosed why she needed the money, she would have additional criminal charges. After getting money she gave them codes for high-value credit cards purchased at the store.

I KNOW.... its sounds really stupid in hindsight. The red flags weren't nearly as obvious in context of the high tension ordeal. Now to figure out how I can get these charges reversed. Thanks again for everyone's input and concern.

I think it would be very GWM to dump that fiancee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
He gave her the money??? He's just as dumb as she is and you can't even deny that

• Locked thread