Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Mmmm a 280x is a better choice here for for the same money, however that card in particular has a shady past.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759
So guess what happened. :buddy:

He has a 2GB 960 now. They were $40 off for some reason, which actually made it a decent value proposition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Alereon posted:

AMD APUs already support GDDR5, it was supposed to be offered on DIMMs but this never came about. I wonder what prices are like for current-gen DDR4 compared to GDDR5?

Wait, why is there still a GDDR5 memory controller on the newer Excavator APU's? Further, why would they let a GDDR5 memory controller take up precious space on Raven Ridge? :psyduck:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Raven Ridge, which I believe is using Zen, will be a all new APU so it probably won't have the GDDR5 memory controller anymore. But current APU's might still have it but there but disabled.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Raven Ridge, which I believe is using Zen, will be a all new APU so it probably won't have the GDDR5 memory controller anymore. But current APU's might still have it but there but disabled.

That's what I thought and why I was supposing usage of DDR4. I mean, DDR3 is basically dead to anything FinFet because even the lowest of lowest end will get bottlenecked by it, so the new minimum has to be DDR4 (if it's cost effective which kind of seems the case due to DDR4 prices right now). The other option is that we've reached high enough saturation with decent iGPUs that anything you might consider for sub 80GB/s bandwidth is pointless to make a dGPU out of. We were already pretty borderline with that for 28nm (Oland, Cape Verde DDR3 cards), and the HD 530 apparently performs pretty similar, so :shrug:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah iGPU performance will keep going up and begin to eat away at low to mid-ish performance dGPU's if for no other reason than improving iGPU performance is easier than improving CPU performance and Intel has to find some way to sell their stuff.

And AMD will still have to offer a competitive product too so they'll probably follow suit with their APU's. It'd be foolish not to.

edit: \/\/not that I know of sorry man, couldn't you play with custom resolutions and switch back and forth as needed?

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 12, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I know the answer is probably "buy a real monitor" but is there a way to convince DSR to do multiples of 1360x768 rather than 1366x768?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. A few posts ago I mentioned my new card was running a bit warm while idling (60C at some points), but since the temps where under load were fine (67C) I wasn't worrying about it. I had noticed it was clocking up but I thought it was some hung process.

Well, turns out it's loving Hangouts. I was watching a youtube video and faffing about the forums when I noticed both my memory and GPU clocks were at max; I thought maybe it was youtube, but then I started closing stuff, and the first thing I closed was a single hangouts chat window that wasn't even on-screen at the time, it was minimized, and:

I tried it again a few more times, just opening the contacts list clocks everything up again, and it goes back to almost-idle as soon as I close it.

What the gently caress google :psyduck:

/edit: this is just with the Chrome extension, it doesn't happen if you're using the chat function of gmail.

Which chrome extension? Maybe its got a bitcoin/litecoin miner hidden inside? :haw:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The custom resolution menu is kind of terrifying and so is the first guide I found to doing downsampling with it. I guess I'll just stick to GeDoSaTo, there aren't that many games I can run well at what is essentially 1440p anyway.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Stanley Pain posted:

Which chrome extension? Maybe its got a bitcoin/litecoin miner hidden inside? :haw:

Hangouts. The official one. :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hangouts. The official one. :v:

:holymoley:

It hasn't been updated in a while either. Why not just pop out the chat window instead and see if that runs better.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's surprising that gpus don't support nearest neighbor interpolation yet, now that different native resolutions are becoming more popular. A 4K display that could display 1080p by just multiplying each pixel by 4 while not introducing the blur of bilinear interpolation would probably be pretty convenient for those who want to work on 4K but game on 1080p

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HMS Boromir posted:

I know the answer is probably "buy a real monitor" but is there a way to convince DSR to do multiples of 1360x768 rather than 1366x768?

My condolences on the screen. Know that if you do go for an upgrade basically anything would be a huge step up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's surprising that gpus don't support nearest neighbor interpolation yet, now that different native resolutions are becoming more popular. A 4K display that could display 1080p by just multiplying each pixel by 4 while not introducing the blur of bilinear interpolation would probably be pretty convenient for those who want to work on 4K but game on 1080p

because with nearest neighbor you preserve any blurriness and aliasing due to a lower res and just make it all bigger, because you are just making the effective pixel size X times bigger you are not adding in additional detail. It would be really noticeable when compared to a native res image.
It really only works on pixel art.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its reasonable to assume its marketing BS because a)the source of course they'll talk themselves up and b)no process is good at everything and its a given there will be some things Samsung will be better at and some things Intel will be better at.

If Samsung said they can produce higher quality RAM or flash memory at a lower price and higher quantity then Intel then I wouldn't doubt it for a second. If they said they can produce the same MPU's Intel does for a lower price, higher quantity, and/or higher quality (clocks, lower power whatever) than Intel then I'd assume they're full of poo poo until proven otherwise.

Yeah and they aren't even saying that I would guess. They being Samsung the company. What a hiring manager says to someone is definitely not representative of what the company would actually say in public, it would be a stretch to even consider it marketing. Every company is the best at everything, just about to take over the competition any day now *wink!*, and a really great place to get in now before it blows up - when you're in an interview lol.

LiquidRain posted:

So guess what happened. :buddy:

He has a 2GB 960 now. They were $40 off for some reason, which actually made it a decent value proposition!

Aw :(. It did seem like an alarming piece of poo poo over the years, but more or less a fluke in MSI's lineup

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 12, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

because with nearest neighbor you preserve any blurriness and aliasing due to a lower res and just make it all bigger, because you are just making the effective pixel size X times bigger you are not adding in additional detail. It would be really noticeable when compared to a native res image.
It really only works on pixel art.

Pixel art and text, which you can run fine at native resolution in most cases.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Sorry, here I go again:

I've been on a "let's test old games with max settings" spree since I got the 970, and today I was running Crysis 3 when I noticed my FPS wouldn't go past 30. I fiddled with V-Sync and the settings a bit, but then I noticed my card was running at 99% usage, but at 1/2 the GPU clock and memory clock speeds.

I had the power setting in "Adaptive" (the default) in 3d Settings at the Nvidia Control Panel, and only when I set it to "prefer maximum performance" (global, the per-setting game for Crysis 3 was doing jack poo poo) it clocked up to 100% and the fps jumped from 30 to 50~60.

Should I leave the power setting to MAXIMUM POWER, or should it be clocking up properly when needed if left in Adaptive?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah and they aren't even saying that I would guess. They being Samsung the company. What a hiring manager says to someone is definitely not representative of what the company would actually say in public, it would be a stretch to even consider it marketing. Every company is the best at everything, just about to take over the competition any day now *wink!*, and a really great place to get in now before it blows up - when you're in an interview lol.

Haha, yeah it was in a big presentation they gave to all of us who were interviewing.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry, here I go again:

I've been on a "let's test old games with max settings" spree since I got the 970, and today I was running Crysis 3 when I noticed my FPS wouldn't go past 30. I fiddled with V-Sync and the settings a bit, but then I noticed my card was running at 99% usage, but at 1/2 the GPU clock and memory clock speeds.

I had the power setting in "Adaptive" (the default) in 3d Settings at the Nvidia Control Panel, and only when I set it to "prefer maximum performance" (global, the per-setting game for Crysis 3 was doing jack poo poo) it clocked up to 100% and the fps jumped from 30 to 50~60.

Should I leave the power setting to MAXIMUM POWER, or should it be clocking up properly when needed if left in Adaptive?

It should be, but just leave it at Maximum. Adaptive introduces more complication and a layer of potential compatibility issues. It's a fairly common "fix", even direct from Nvidia.

The downside is adaptive is supposed to prevent background processes from hogging your GPU, so if you do have things doing that its an issue. However just check your clock speeds when youre in desktop and if its still downclocking properly leave it at max.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

What a hiring manager says to someone is definitely not representative of what the company would actually say in public, it would be a stretch to even consider it marketing. Every company is the best at everything, just about to take over the competition any day now *wink!*, and a really great place to get in now before it blows up - when you're in an interview lol.
You're right its a bit of a stretch to call a in house presentation to new hires marketing but that is sure what it sounds like to me. I've worked at places (medical field, not tech, hospital and small practice) where there were presentations given that sound an awful like the hyperbole you're saying only to have them go and get bought out a few years down the road or absorbed into a larger medical group that they were going to be taking over "any day now".

So yeah I'm being cynical but not unreasonable here.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It should be, but just leave it at Maximum. Adaptive introduces more complication and a layer of potential compatibility issues. It's a fairly common "fix", even direct from Nvidia.

The downside is adaptive is supposed to prevent background processes from hogging your GPU, so if you do have things doing that its an issue. However just check your clock speeds when youre in desktop and if its still downclocking properly leave it at max.

Alright, thanks. It looks like bumping the power target% is making adaptive play nice though, so I may keep it there for a while and see how it goes.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, thanks. It looks like bumping the power target% is making adaptive play nice though, so I may keep it there for a while and see how it goes.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So, I've got a budget of $600ish (but saving money is always cool) for a new video card, primarily for Total Warhammer, but looking for it to last me a few years. Now that nothing new is happening, it seems like 980ti is the way to go? And wait for any form of sale at all, gently caress tax refund pricing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you want a card NOW, and don't feel like waiting until AMD makes their reveal, yeah, the 980Ti is a hell of a card, and you can pick up some of the top-end versions (6 GAMING, GOLDEN, etc) for <$550 with rebates from the usual players and/or Jet.com.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So, I've got a budget of $600ish (but saving money is always cool) for a new video card, primarily for Total Warhammer, but looking for it to last me a few years. Now that nothing new is happening, it seems like 980ti is the way to go? And wait for any form of sale at all, gently caress tax refund pricing.

Total Warhammer is DX12, I'd wait and see, there's an even odds chance the 390X is going toe to toe with the 980 Ti.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

If you want a card NOW, and don't feel like waiting until AMD makes their reveal, yeah, the 980Ti is a hell of a card, and you can pick up some of the top-end versions (6 GAMING, GOLDEN, etc) for <$550 with rebates from the usual players and/or Jet.com.

You're gonna take a big hit in the very near term though. Like, you will probably lose $100 or $200 in a month.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Err, at least give it till Computex before making a purchase. This is supposed to be the big reveal for P10 and GP104, and both looks to promise significant power savings compared to the 980ti while having similar or better performance for a cheaper price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're gonna take a big hit in the very near term though. Like, you will probably lose $100 or $200 in a month.
NVidia troll option: They paper-release a 1070 and 1060 with actual stock unavailable until holiday 2016.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

DrDork posted:

NVidia troll option: They paper-release a 1070 and 1060 with actual stock unavailable until holiday 2016.

Not according to korean Hardwarebattle. They might be doing a GK104-style split where the lowest one gets just GDDR5 and faster ones get GDDR5X. So get your GTX 970/980/980Ti while they last :v:

google translate posted:

Currently, all NVIDIA AIB partners of the GeForce GTX 970/980 / 980Ti series production has been discontinued, no longer supply the chipset from NVIDIA.

Thus, the new products come out exactly as the guy who replaced the three models.

The initial product launch are all the reference product and the mainstream (GTX 1070) Class AIB partners of the cooler only designs products that are released about two weeks late

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 13, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Guys I have an R9 Nano and I'm trying to enable virtual super resolution so I can run DOTA2 at 4k with less coil whine (it seems the lower the FPS the less noise). Is there a way to enable it for just that game rather than globally?

Is there any other way to reduce FPS besides VSYNC? Like dial down the clock-speed or something?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 13, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

KingEup posted:

Guys I have an R9 Nano and I'm trying to enable virtual super resolution so I can run DOTA2 at 4k with less coil whine (it seems the lower the FPS the less noise). Is there a way to enable it for just that game rather than globally?

Is there any other way to reduce FPS besides VSYNC? Like dial down the clock-speed or something?

Yes its called frame limiting. I dont know if that's in AMDs software suite, but MSI afterburner has it in the Rivatuner programs

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KingEup posted:

I think what you want to search for is frame rate target control, and I know that one's under the per-game options.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So the Radeon Pro Duo apparently comes with 3 Fiji GPU's. 2 in the card 1 in a case for display purposes or whatever. Kinda cool but boy the failure rates must be incredible if they're doing that. Even for a $1500 low volume product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rosoboronexport posted:

Not according to korean Hardwarebattle. They might be doing a GK104-style split where the lowest one gets just GDDR5 and faster ones get GDDR5X. So get your GTX 970/980/980Ti while they last :v:

I noticed D&H has zero titan x's available now for distribution.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If it's true that they are canceling production of the 980ti, does that make it likely that they will have a 980ti class Pascal chip in June or whenever they cancel it? Or do they generally just kill last gen's 980ti level card while taking their time to produce a new one? What do you industry pundits think

I'm in the awkward spot where I'd like to get something around the 980ti level of feeps per dollar but my system is on cinderblocks until I get a new card so I don't feel like holding out for a year, either.

e: I guess I'd like to wait for display port 1.4 support, too, just in case there is some epic 144hz 21:9 display and the market comes down in price a bit

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes its called frame limiting. I dont know if that's in AMDs software suite, but MSI afterburner has it in the Rivatuner programs

If you have the Radeon "Crimson Edition" drivers, there's a slider for frame rate limit right in the driver menus.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If it's true that they are canceling production of the 980ti, does that make it likely that they will have a 980ti class Pascal chip in June or whenever they cancel it? Or do they generally just kill last gen's 980ti level card while taking their time to produce a new one? What do you industry pundits think

I'm in the awkward spot where I'd like to get something around the 980ti level of feeps per dollar but my system is on cinderblocks until I get a new card so I don't feel like holding out for a year, either.

e: I guess I'd like to wait for display port 1.4 support, too, just in case there is some epic 144hz 21:9 display and the market comes down in price a bit

The 980Ti was a response to an AMD top tier card, so don't expect a 1080Ti if AMD isn't competitive.

You can expect a 1070 series card to be pretty close to a 980 in performance, and a 1070Ti card might appear that offers 980Ti like performance. This is how nVidia has traditionally done market segmentation, however the addition of directx 12, VR headsets and the die shrink may change the entire calculation of market segmentation (or may not).

Don't expect any of the upcoming next gen cards to support DP1.4, that spec was only finalized a few months ago, and getting it into silicon and through certification will take until at least the generation of cards following.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I see. Is it reasonable to expect this year's cards to have DP 1.3 support at least? That spec includes the bandwidth to display the higher resolutions at 144hz, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They'll have to, there's some monitors that pretty much require dp 1.3 coming soon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Frys wasn't able to get enough 980Ti's in to meet demand. I bought the last Asus Strix they had (Open box no less, but saved me $50) and they had 1 EVGA one left before it too was gone. They had a collection of 980's that were priced well to sell and a bunch of 970's and below, but the sales guys there said the walls were stocked full, then down to nothing in like a week or so. They can't keep the cards in stock and from the looks of it, they weren't kidding.

The question is, will there be a huge gap in time before the next high end arrives because having a hole in the timing feels really odd considering nothing has come out to replace the current gen's high end and may still not for quite some time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Looks like retailers are liquidating stock

$319.99: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ▪ Only $135 Each When You Buy 2 on newegg