Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

Couple of newb questions.

What stat to I have to pump to bump up the weapon arts meter? Is it the same as building up magic since it's the same bar?

Can you respec weapons this time around or maybe get some upgrade materials back, or it the usual souls fare where you are locked to upgrading only a couple of weapons in a play through?

Attunement

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any weird things going on with stats this time around, like the Agility tax in DS 2, or are they more straightforward now?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
wow I can't wait for the patch. My GTX 970 should not be stuttering this much

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh the longsword stance is for guardbreaking, doing extra damage, AND setting a parry up! I purple palled a guy into a corner then did it and kicked him off a cliff. :v:

Turning off SSAO and setting lighting to low is kind of helping with the overheating too, but jesus.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Was quite a bit worried about the early reports of the game running at 20fps on dual Titan monster-rigs, but looks like I hover right around 60fps on high with my laptop. Not bad! Some dips here and there, might lower some more settings to see if those even out.

Is there any real fix for the crashes yet, btw? I used to crash every time I warped to the Wall, and after updating my display drivers the game crashed every time at startup IF I had my XBone-pad plugged in (wtf?), but last time I managed to actually play through some zones without the game flipping out.

Also had a good laugh when I got to the katana-dude. I accidentally dodged right off the cliff, and he decided to follow me for some reason. Next time there was just a lootbag waiting.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Fat Samurai posted:

Any weird things going on with stats this time around, like the Agility tax in DS 2, or are they more straightforward now?

Don't upgrade Luck unless in very specific builds

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Why for? I opened thief and am at 20 luck. I didn't find anything online that has talked about it too much, is bleed/poison not that good?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

That build being "poison and bleed everything".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Okay so I'm going to ask a really dumb question.

How do you set up/use weapon arts? I've yet to figure out how to enable them and I've just run around doing the standard attack/strong attack but these weapon arts sound neato.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mortimer posted:

ill spoiler it anyway
shortly after spears

that's for the scythe by the way

Found it, thanks.

Holky gently caress.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

axeil posted:

How do you set up/use weapon arts? I've yet to figure out how to enable them and I've just run around doing the standard attack/strong attack but these weapon arts sound neato.

i think it depends on the weapon but for instance, with rapier, you hold l2 to move yourself into a new stance and then your r1/r2 attacks change

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

axeil posted:

Two hand your weapon and press L2. If you have a shield with a little sword icon on it on the bottom left, then with sword and shield up you just press L2. Hold it to go into the stance.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
I'm in Undead Settlement and just fought The fire demon with a certain someone, is this part of this area a dead end? I cant find a way back to the lift or any way forwards. Are you supposed to homeward bone out?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I'm in Undead Settlement and just fought The fire demon with a certain someone, is this part of this area a dead end? I cant find a way back to the lift or any way forwards. Are you supposed to homeward bone out?

Go up high in the big building, you can drop down to a tower and get out that way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's only one place in the game where you HAVE to HB out afaik, and it's not there.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

game ran perfectly last night after setting lighting to low and playing as a knight with zero crashes

now i can't leave firelink without crashing. god drat it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I love that the devs gave us a Katana in the tutorial area this time around after making us wait a solid 30 hours in DS2.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 12, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How am I supposed to kill these blob things on the high wall? They oneshot me from full health and I cannot kill them in a full stamina bar, so it just ends up with me inevitably trying to dodge and poke which fails horrifically since their attacks are large and occasionally frequent.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Anything I should know/avoid if I'm going the Herald route, with the aim of being a melee guy who uses miracles for utility rather than offense?

It doesn't look like any weapons scale with Faith so I'm thinking about putting in just enough points to use the miracles I want, and keeping Str + Dex relatively even. Since I tend to like straight swords the Sunlight Straight Sword looks like something to aim for with its built-in buff and decent scaling.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I couldn't beat the tutorial boss last night as a deprived so came back to him today after a long sleep, did it on my third try. Sleep makes you git gud.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Why is Firelink shrine sometimes fogged in?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Anything I should know/avoid if I'm going the Herald route, with the aim of being a melee guy who uses miracles for utility rather than offense?

It doesn't look like any weapons scale with Faith so I'm thinking about putting in just enough points to use the miracles I want, and keeping Str + Dex relatively even. Since I tend to like straight swords the Sunlight Straight Sword looks like something to aim for with its built-in buff and decent scaling.

There are indeed weapons that scale with Faith, and the ones I know of are really cool looking. I dont know to what extent though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before:

me and my buddy are trying to coop souls, so I have a couple questions:

Can you only summon people when embered?

Is there a point in the game where you can easily get lots of embers or are there a finite amount?

Cause we did all of the second zone on one ember but then I died on the boss and he got kilt.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

Why is Firelink shrine sometimes fogged in?

Masking loading times. Kind of weird I know

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Shortest Path posted:

How am I supposed to kill these blob things on the high wall? They oneshot me from full health and I cannot kill them in a full stamina bar, so it just ends up with me inevitably trying to dodge and poke which fails horrifically since their attacks are large and occasionally frequent.

if you mean the black growths that come out of seemingly normal zombies, firebombs help

i don't think the early ones need to be killed more than once. you can run past the one on the roof

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

il serpente cosmico posted:

I love that the devs gave us a Katana in the tutorial area this time around after making us wait a solid 30 hours in DS2.

there is one fairly early in DS2

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before:

me and my buddy are trying to coop souls, so I have a couple questions:

Can you only summon people when embered?

Is there a point in the game where you can easily get lots of embers or are there a finite amount?

Cause we did all of the second zone on one ember but then I died on the boss and he got kilt.

Yes
You get a free ember every time you kill a boss as a phantom or kill a host as an invader, IIRC

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Get behind them

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Also if you wail on the right hollow you can kill them before they become Venom

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Waverhouse posted:

Why for? I opened thief and am at 20 luck. I didn't find anything online that has talked about it too much, is bleed/poison not that good?

Item discovery has never been particularly helpful in any Souls game. Bleed and poison are nice, but probably not worth throwing a ton of levels at an otherwise useless stat for. I've also read that Luck increases the rate that poison and bleed statuses build, but not the actual damage that they cause. People will need to do some testing to see how much Luck affects the two statuses, but right now it doesn't look very worthwhile.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And people ask me why I'm no longer into PC gaming. Jesus loving shitchrist, and this is just one game in 2016 of too many with severe issues.

Worldwide servers are up and I'm still not getting summoned to help people from scary red invaders, but I get invasion targets in under five seconds.

e: Luck I consider a speciality stat mainly for special builds that use poison and bleed, I have one of those for PvP at SL25

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You need to sacrifice a few stats for any build and Luck seems to easily be the least valuable, even less so than a magic stat not corresponding with the type of magic you want to use.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Jose posted:

there is one fairly early in DS2

I thought you couldn't get one until the Iron Keep?

I never played Scholar of the First Sin, but looking at the wiki, it looks like the Dull Ember is obtainable much earlier which means you can get the Uchi before half the game is over.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 12, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if you are bad at the game like me (or picked depraved like me and are hesitant to level up because you fear picking the wrong choices oh god) you'd be surprised how many monsters you can just run past / away from and they don't aggro you through the whole level.

i'm only in the high wall area myself, but off the top of my head, you can run from both black blob hollows. the first one is only guarding some basic loot, and the second one takes long enough to transform that you can find the ladder to the next section without loving with it.

likewise, i've been able to run past all of the silver knights except the very first one after the dragon fire gauntlet, and only him because he runs out the door all happy to see you. the spear & shield one under the second black blob hollow you can run around and he didn't follow me down into the next building, and the three that are patrolling in front of the important looking castle can't actually fit inside the door, so if you run / roll past them, they just go back to patrolling. then, you can run past them again to fight the second boss, and after that you don't really have to deal with them again in high wall.

you can also just run around the fatty blue halberd knight in the bloody courtyard. he's also pretty easy to take out with ranged attacks, but if you don't want to bother, you can just run past him.

i think playing DS2 for hundreds of hours and trying to keep my SM as low as possible taught me to try and avoid as many superfluous monsters as i could, so now i'm just curious about how many things i can actually run past with no consequence.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

foiled by tree nards

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chard posted:

foiled by tree nards

i summoned a sunbro named Desu Waifu to defeat tree nards :3:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I've played enough of these games where I should know this by now, but do people constantly put "Hidden path ahead" signs in front of random walls just to mess with me?? :mad:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

There's nothing wrong with doing a quality build (STR+DEX), but depending on the weapon you want to use, you may not need to level them both. If you end up using a weapon that scales high with Dex but not with STR, there's no real reason to pump levels into STR beyond whoever much you need to wield your weapons of choice.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bass Bottles posted:

I've played enough of these games where I should know this by now, but do people constantly put "Hidden path ahead" signs in front of random walls just to mess with me?? :mad:

of course, and "try jumping off" in front of every scenic vista with no ledge below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

net cafe scandal posted:

Yes
You get a free ember every time you kill a boss as a phantom or kill a host as an invader, IIRC

So if i wanted to help out my bud in his world he'd need to do PvP or whatnot if he wanted to farm embers? Can we both invade the same player or does that require using embers?