Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't lose covenant progress this time can you? Ton of fun Sunbroing and then invading.

Nah, covenants all just work now, do whatever you want whenever and turn in your progress when you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

RBA Starblade posted:

Weirdly killing red phantoms doesn't count for the covenant reward, though I didn't get the killing blow so that might be why.

From my experience, yes, all that matters is the killing blow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Now I'm having trouble deciding if I wanna stick with DEX or make a Knight and roll STR.

STR seems to be the nice comfort option in the souls games. I dunno.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Eonwe posted:

last night I played for a while and got to the ice boss guy thats fairly early in the game

I was very close to being able to beat him when I go to bed

someone talks about a katana guy near Firelink should i even bother trying him right now, considering how bad I am

katana guy is killable but can take quite a few tries

or you can lure him into falling off the nearby cliff. even if you also fall, his loot bag will be there when you respawn

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I will say that the tutorial boss, and even more so the random hollows that hulk out, do get a lot of their difficulty from camera problems. Being a big giant monster on teeny human legs means that you have to get your camera crammed up their rear end to be able to hit them, and then you can't really see what you're doing. My first death in the game was to that random hulk-hollow on the platform with the archer, because I got squeezed up against a wall and couldn't see anything except oozing black polygons. :sigh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheQat posted:

or you can lure him into falling off the nearby cliff. even if you also fall, his loot bag will be there when you respawn

Or take a bag of arrows and stand on the nearby roof.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Best way to deal with the hulk hollows is to run up like a maniac and kill them before they pop. They go down in one hit if you make it fast enough.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay gently caress it, i'm going to keep using katana and hopefully proc bleed or something

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Best way to deal with the hulk hollows is to run up like a maniac and kill them before they pop. They go down in one hit if you make it fast enough.

Yeah I figured that out in short order. Very satisfying when it works, but the timing can be pretty tight.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Do Moundmakers trigger Blue Cops?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this game going to run on lowest settings w/ a 560Ti? I would assume so but reading the min/recommende specs it's hard to tell.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The estus flask description says that they are green. They are not green.

Also dark souls 3 will never be goty, I can't put "beware skeleton but hole" everywhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah I figured that out in short order. Very satisfying when it works, but the timing can be pretty tight.

Unfortunately all the time I've spent with Bloodborne has instilled kamikaze instincts in me so I don't think I'm going to be able to help myself for a while.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheQat posted:

thank you. im very bad at these games, but having a working controller helped a lot

i think ill beat ice dude and then try katana guy tonight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spudd posted:

The estus flask description says that they are green. They are not green.

Also dark souls 3 will never be goty, I can't put "beware skeleton but hole" everywhere

The estus is sunny D-colored, the flask itself is green!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Gortarius posted:

I first thought I could go to a lot of different areas from Firelink in DS3 because the place was full of doorways but nope. So what I'm curious about is that if there is a crossroad early on in DS3 where I could choose to go to several different areas, even if I'm not really supposed to?

DS3 is much more like Bloodborne, a straight path with side streets that will dead end. There is a rather large sequence break, but no one is going to accidentally do it to progress without really meaning to: If you kill Emma when you first meet her you will spawn a late game boss which if you manage to defeat (and there is a cheese currently) you can go directly to the end game areas.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The estus is sunny D-colored, the flask itself is green!

Wait really? Is it like a super dark green? I thought the estus flask itself was black!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My first death was to a skeleton dog after beating both lizard and boss without a dying.

Good times

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spudd posted:

Wait really? Is it like a super dark green? I thought the estus flask itself was black!

empty it and look at the icon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spudd posted:

Yep, it's a deep emerald hue.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wasnt going to buy this today but there is something about the zeitgeist of a dark Souls game that is impossible to resist

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game is really hard, and I died multiple times to even the first boss

ive only ever played dark souls 1 otherwise, and I mostly cheesed my way through the first couple of bosses

im actually trying to learn to play the game now and it was really satisfying beating the first boss, and then also learning to fight against the knights

I kept rolling to the left of the spear knight guy, thinking that I'd roll left so I could get an opening to attack...which would get me stabbed

finally I started just rolling to the right (with his shield) and I was still able to get an opening and it was way safer

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Eonwe posted:

last night I played for a while and got to the ice boss guy thats fairly early in the game

I was very close to being able to beat him when I go to bed

someone talks about a katana guy near Firelink should i even bother trying him right now, considering how bad I am

The katana guy is right next to the firelink bonfire, so there's no reason not to give it a shot. He isn't too tough, particularly if you're playing as knight. You can tank his hits with your shield, and the straight sword will break his poise and knock him out of his weapon animations.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Fuckin' huh, I never noticed... welp.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

My first death was to a skeleton dog after beating both lizard and boss without a dying.

Good times

mine was from playing perfectly and not needing to drink any sunny d until I got to Not Smough stomping around in the couryard. i was going to hit a skele coming up a ladder but was too close to the ledge, fell off, died :downs:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Got invaded by a Gold/Red sunbro invader who shouted "HELLO HELLO HELLO" over and over, then dropped an ember on the ground for me, then killed himself.

Wow :allears:

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
They've really lowered the amount of souls you get for co-op huh. I just hung out around Vordt dropping my sign for a good hour and I think I was getting 750ish souls per kill, though there were so many people doing the same that it wasn't hard to rack up a good chunk since every kill was taking about a minute.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Herald's spear is just not doing it for me. Any good weapons available at the High Wall? (That said, executioner tip in the round area with all the burning knights: run around him, go right, run up the stairs to where the Ring of Sacrifice jump is, and he'll follow you and fall and you can just plunging attack him. Takes about three plunges.)

Herald's armor sucks, too. :v: I need some drat poise.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 12, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Cultisto posted:

They've really lowered the amount of souls you get for co-op huh. I just hung out around Vordt dropping my sign for a good hour and I think I was getting 750ish souls per kill, though there were so many people doing the same that it wasn't hard to rack up a good chunk since every kill was taking about a minute.

i think the first purple npc invader gives 3,000 and takes about that long

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Too early for fashion Souls?

Loving this look for my spellsword dude. It's Fallen Knight Helm, Fire Keeper Robe, Nameless Knight Gloves/Leggings

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Liking it so far. Wasn't expecting the first boss to do that thing he did. Up until then I was intending to go shieldless because of Bloodborne. Nope, shields are cool again.

Met some people, killed some hanzo steel jerk, lit some bonfires, opened some shortcuts, munched by a mimic, ran from dragons, yep, this is Dark Souls alright. good times

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any enemies particularly weak to strike damage? Wondering if I should go looking for the good ol' Mace again in case any tin cans need bashing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like the new estus system but hate that I can't allocate my estus at bonfires. Why the hell do I gotta go talk to Andre to do that?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

After slapping this on my SSD I get a solid 40 to 60fps with a median of about 51fps consistently, on an i5 3470 with a GTX 660 OC2. the port seems pretty drat solid.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mastershakeman posted:

Is this game going to run on lowest settings w/ a 560Ti? I would assume so but reading the min/recommende specs it's hard to tell.

It didn't run well enough to stay connected to online on my 560. Had to go grab a new video card yesterday.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

i am harry posted:

User-defined tags for DS III season pass on Steam looking good.

I added one that was "The rest of the game" how come I can't see it? I have no idea how anything on Steam works other than clicking >Play.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I like the new estus system but hate that I can't allocate my estus at bonfires. Why the hell do I gotta go talk to Andre to do that?

Glassworking is best left to a professional.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MelvinBison posted:

Do Moundmakers trigger Blue Cops?

I had the police bust up an invading Moundmaker, not sure about summoned ones.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I really like that they kept Andre as the only NPC with a flapping mouth just like he was in DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to get up to the dragon in lothric or do I have to plink it to death from below?