Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

http://esportsexpress.com/2016/04/riot-buries-solo-queue-in-bottom-of-ocean/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I still feel like adding pure solo queue will do more harm than good at this point. The playerbase would be so fractured. And I mean, how would dynamic queue work with 4 player teams? Would they be at the mercy of a random dude accidentally clicking the wrong queue?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
All they need to do is make it so that you can queue up as 3 or 5 but not 4, and 3s only get matched with duos. Then, groups of 5 and groups of 3/2 can be weighted to play against other groups of 3/2 and 5.

Groups of 4 are really the worst part about unrestricted ranked queue.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
On the note of heimer, I have a friend who mains him and uses ADC runes just to start off, that + grasp of the undying. seems to be amazing at poking down enemy laners, especially top. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Illaoi was fun in ascension when you could ult 4 or 5 people in a tight corridor, and then a couple tentacle smashes would kill everyone. That's literally the only time I've played her, since she was free as well.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

itsjustdrew posted:

On the note of heimer, I have a friend who mains him and uses ADC runes just to start off, that + grasp of the undying. seems to be amazing at poking down enemy laners, especially top. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Your friend is a real shitbird

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah I have some thoughts: if you play heimer you're a piece of poo poo

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

The Mash posted:

Your friend is a real shitbird

He's friends with me, of course he is. Now, does anyone have any relevant thoughts on this?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah, that grasp sucks rear end on ranged champions that aren't gnar

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Thank you for not being a nonce and contributing to my question. You're a better poster than most.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

checking the wiki heimer has 476 base health, so you're probably gonna have 500~ish in lane depending on your starting items and grasp will deal 1.5% of that so 7.5 magic damage before mitigation. if you're doing the pushing build without much AP it will probably outperform thunderlords or dft in terms of damage and i dont think heimer is the best at stacking up fervor.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I would still queue solo into dynamic queue even if they brought solo queue back, I don't want to play with 100% tryhard solo carry or die trying players.

I think the main reason they're balking at it is now that they've seen how much longer queue times are at most elos on new champ select (i've gone from 20-30 seconds to several minutes in silver) they don't think fracturing the player base further is healthy for the game, and I'd agree with that.

Of course, I suspect a major underlying cause here is their inability to sell the support role to the required 1/5th of the playerbase, it's come a long way in power level and game impact since season 3 but still no one wants to play it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tales of Woe posted:

Of course, I suspect a major underlying cause here is their inability to sell the support role to the required 1/5th of the playerbase, it's come a long way in power level and game impact since season 3 but still no one wants to play it.

If they actually did what Lyte said and doubled or tripled the IP for supp that would go a long way.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Radical posted:

checking the wiki heimer has 476 base health, so you're probably gonna have 500~ish in lane depending on your starting items and grasp will deal 1.5% of that so 7.5 magic damage before mitigation. if you're doing the pushing build without much AP it will probably outperform thunderlords or dft in terms of damage and i dont think heimer is the best at stacking up fervor.

When he uses this build he goes more for health than AP, so yes, that's the logic. He also gets ZZrot which I believe I'm correct in saying also scales off health. I often see him building banner, rylais, RoA or other 'tanky' AP items.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

They really need to steal a page from WoW and just give temporary bonus IP to whichever role has the least people in queue (so, a permanent IP bonus for people queueing support)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

itsjustdrew posted:

When he uses this build he goes more for health than AP, so yes, that's the logic. He also gets ZZrot which I believe I'm correct in saying also scales off health.

This seems stupid. Even if ZZRot gives comparable EHP to a health item (which it probably won't, because most health items have high EHP, especially early in the game), the damage portion of Grasp only scales with HP, not EHP.

E: I have a fever and misread the quoted post as "gets ZZrot first" so my scolding is mostly in relation to that. It's still a dumb gimmick though, and I stand by the shitbird assertion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Speaking of support role, and no one wanting to play it, how did role selection work prior to this new queue? I never played PVP much before I could select my role because each time I got into a game 3 people would instalock someone for mid, and the game would immediately go to poo poo.

I play more now because I can actually pick what I want to play, and it seems decent from that perspective. There's usually someone picking fill and trying to trade with someone else, but at least I'm not getting stuck in a lovely role I can't play. It's also funny that I pick support/mid, and get support maybe a bit more than half the time.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

before you put 5 people with similar mmr numbers on a team and let fate run its course

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Speaking of support role, and no one wanting to play it, how did role selection work prior to this new queue? I never played PVP much before I could select my role because each time I got into a game 3 people would instalock someone for mid, and the game would immediately go to poo poo.

I play more now because I can actually pick what I want to play, and it seems decent from that perspective. There's usually someone picking fill and trying to trade with someone else, but at least I'm not getting stuck in a lovely role I can't play. It's also funny that I pick support/mid, and get support maybe a bit more than half the time.

It would go in pick order, so if first person wanted mid, they got mid.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

The Mash posted:

This seems stupid. Even if ZZRot gives comparable EHP to a health item (which it probably won't, because most health items have high EHP, especially early in the game), the damage portion of Grasp only scales with HP, not EHP.

E: I have a fever and misread the quoted post as "gets ZZrot first" so my scolding is mostly in relation to that. It's still a dumb gimmick though, and I stand by the shitbird assertion.

ZZrot, especially on a top laner with TP, is a great pushing tool when it comes to team fighting stages in games. Just drop it somewhere top/bot lane and let it go, I often build it on singed due to it's speed boost passive. Thought maybe it's only just effective in lower ELOs

Feel better soon.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Thank you! Yeah ZZ'rot is generally still strong, I only meant in relation to Grasp, where ZZ'rot does nothing for the damage of Grasp, which might make Grasp less competitive with things like Thunderlords on someone like Heimer.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If they actually did what Lyte said and doubled or tripled the IP for supp that would go a long way.

Yeah I support this idea still, you'd likely have to only award the bonus on wins in order to curb the number of people queuing as support for the bonus without the intention of actually playing support in-game, but it'd definitely help.

i think the support role being framed as the ADC babysitter for so long really hurt its perception, people freaking love lee sin jungle which has a comparable power curve to a support

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

The Mash posted:

Thank you! Yeah ZZ'rot is generally still strong, I only meant in relation to Grasp, where ZZ'rot does nothing for the damage of Grasp, which might make Grasp less competitive with things like Thunderlords on someone like Heimer.

Oh no, I wasn't claiming that zz rot would make grasp any better! I was just saying if I remember correctly HP improves the fourth(?) voidling's damage, so building HP items would be beneficial for both grasp and the ZZrot.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I don't mind the idea of soloqueue but it's invariably going to fracture the playerbase making both soloqueue and dynamic queue shittier. It needs to be one or the other and I don't loving care which one it is.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the scoreboards recently have been really good. keep it up league of legends general thread

itsjustdrew posted:

When he uses this build he goes more for health than AP, so yes, that's the logic. He also gets ZZrot which I believe I'm correct in saying also scales off health. I often see him building banner, rylais, RoA or other 'tanky' AP items.

that build sounds retarded unless you absolutely delete the enemy top laner and remove him from the game because it does not do anything lategame and unless you can split push to win your teamfighting power is going to be basically equivalent to a moderately well off support so you are forced into split pushing and if you are up against a team that is even remotely competent they will just trash your squad 5v4 and win off map objectives since that build can not 1v1 people in the way other split pushers like tryndamere can

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 12, 2016

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah I support this idea still, you'd likely have to only award the bonus on wins in order to curb the number of people queuing as support for the bonus without the intention of actually playing support in-game, but it'd definitely help.

i think the support role being framed as the ADC babysitter for so long really hurt its perception, people freaking love lee sin jungle which has a comparable power curve to a support

I don't know how well it worked, but even team builder had that "needed roles" indicator, so it couldn't be that hard to implement bonus ip based on demand. Even make it reactive, so if everyone queues support to get bonus ip then the next least played (jungle?) Gets bonus ip instead.

Also this solo queue conversation will never end will it? As has already been said, a true solo queue will inevitably be a cesspit of yasuo/yi/fizz mains.

All I know is streamers are continuing to solo their way from silver to challenger on new accounts even in the dynamic queue system. It's just the newest iteration of blaming your teammates for your play quality

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Primetime posted:

Also this solo queue conversation will never end will it? As has already been said, a true solo queue will inevitably be a cesspit of yasuo/yi/fizz mains.

it will never cease to amaze me how many terrible bronze players think they need to play hard carry champions to win when every time streamers do these bronze to challenger things they always pick a combination of comfort champions and whichever champions is statistically above average

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

riot's problem is that the community picked up on how the dynamic queue is bad for the competitive environment from pro players who are complaining about their matchmaking issues. the average person playing this game thinks the reasoning should extend to their silver III games (it doesn't) when in reality just making master+ solo/duo fixes all the problems right there. The pro players will stop complaining and the rest of the player base will deal with it/forget about the problem.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Radical posted:

the average person playing this game thinks the reasoning should extend to their silver III games (it doesn't) when in reality just making master+ solo/duo fixes all the problems right there.

Yep. I haven't noticed any issues with dynamic queue, but they clearly exist for people in masters/challenger.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Sexpansion posted:

Yep. I haven't noticed any issues with dynamic queue, but they clearly exist for people in masters/challenger.

same pretty much. the problem is that ppl on reddit ect worship the ground that pro players walk on and will repeat whatever they say endlessly

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
personally, i can only speak from my own experiences, that dynamic queue sucks

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yes being solo q with a 4 man could definitely not be very very bad

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

my favourite experience in any hon-clone game was playing as a solo guy with a 4 stack of brazilian guys and only one person there spoke english, the entire chat was just portugese and this one man said "sorry my friends english bad, join us and we gently caress men" and we just rolled around as a 5stack destroying everything and stomped that game into the ground

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

pog boyfriend posted:

my favourite experience in any hon-clone game was playing as a solo guy with a 4 stack of brazilian guys and only one person there spoke english, the entire chat was just portugese and this one man said "sorry my friends english bad, join us and we gently caress men" and we just rolled around as a 5stack destroying everything and stomped that game into the ground

i get this on euw except with french ppl and it's normally pretty good!

also look at these cool splash arts guys
http://www.surrenderat20.net/2016/04/412-pbe-update.html

renek one looks sick

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i really like tlords on heimer, as long as you land just a few missiles it's easy, cheap harass with more immediate punch than grasp. It just seems more useful for shoving people off and getting a temporarily empty lane you can hard push

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Sassy Dragon is pretty silly on ARAM, tank mage, rylai and iceborne meant pretty much nothing could run from me. Woe to any melee who try to get close. His base damage is pretty silly too for a mage.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just bought K-9 Nasus

Is this only on JP server or is it available on every server? I thought you couldn't buy that one anymore

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

pog boyfriend posted:

(Terminator voice but Brazillian accent)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ristolaz posted:

I heard a story about an Austrian that fled and hid in Brazil. Maybe this checks out.

• Locked thread