Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Who thought it was a good idea to keep leveling up tied to a single npc? Afaik DS1 is the only game that had the common sense to offer a quality of life feature and just let you level up all over the place. I can't imagine console players are too happy with having to wait out two loading screens (Don't know how lengthy but prob worse off than PC in that regard) to resume playing, but apparently someone keeps putting it in these games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

Embers are a one time full heal

I wasted like three embers in the final boss because it increases your health, THEN fills it. Lol

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

TheQat posted:

i don't know what you mean by this and it sounds really funny

It's exactly as it sounds. I talked to one of those pilgrims that was in Firelink Shrine and he said he would bring out my full power and now i'm black.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gortarius posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to keep leveling up tied to a single npc? Afaik DS1 is the only game that had the common sense to offer a quality of life feature and just let you level up all over the place. I can't imagine console players are too happy with having to wait out two loading screens (Don't know how lengthy but prob worse off than PC in that regard) to resume playing, but apparently someone keeps putting it in these games?

The loading screens are nothing like Bloodborne so tbh I didn't notice it, but yes forcing you back to the hub all the time is always dumb and why can't every npc just be in the bonfire (I'm not being sarcastic btw).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright, I cut the crotch tree with my fire sword and got the cool transposition items (Pontiff ring sounds too good to pass up). Where do I go from here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gortarius posted:

They wanted to do it in ds1 too but couldn't for technical reasons or something.

Anyway at least they do a better job justifying it in this one because things change with npcs there all the time.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CJ posted:

It's exactly as it sounds. I talked to one of those pilgrims that was in Firelink Shrine and he said he would bring out my full power and now i'm black.

:darksouls:

sorry i can't be more helpful

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gortarius posted:

So that you're encouraged to keep track of the many changes that can occur at Firelink. It's not really a big deal it's like 20 sec to get there and back

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

John DiFool posted:

so is this a crashy mess? worth getting now or wait and see if they patch it up?

I can't even get it t o download on Steam, 45% through and it keeps telling me the download corrupted. I'll click play, it'll download 1% more and error again, over and over. Not looking good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CJ posted:

I wouldn't have noticed even if I wasn't playing knight because I picked more or less that skin color in the first place. :v:

Now I am wondering what wondrous meltdowns this will get from parts of the internet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

So that you're encouraged to keep track of the many changes that can occur at Firelink. It's not really a big deal it's like 20 sec to get there and back

You all keep talking about at least three npcs I haven't seen that have been there from the start apparently lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJ posted:

You really, really should have known that was a faustian bargain when you signed up for it. Obviously a free level has a cost.

Check your inventory, you have a new item which explains your status.

There's a way to cure that, but it'll take you awhile.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wouldn't have noticed even if I wasn't playing knight because I picked more or less that skin color in the first place. :v:

Now I am wondering what wondrous meltdowns this will get from parts of the internet.

You get an item in your inventory, so unless you're not paying attention you should notice something is up either way.

Then again whoooole lotta goons in this thread missing obvious things :v: wonder how some of y'all ever blundered through DS1/DS2, probably with wiki...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just remembered--was there no full random appearance button in character creation this time? i thought at least one of the previous games had one

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
woops

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if anyone if having trouble with the dogs that wander around, any amount of fire damage causes them to roll on their backs "to put it out" for like a solid 5 seconds or so. basically enough time that you can run up and finish them off. if you don't have fire bombs and aren't a pyromancer, putting a fire enchant on your weapon does the same thing (make sure you're aware of the drawbacks of putting fire on a weapon before doing it willy nilly). between the dogs and the black blob hollows it's looking like fire damage is a pretty significant thing in this game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah I would have missed tiny King and the handmaiden had I not combed the area. And there's a lot of dark corners to overlook

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's ash, from killing enemies. It doesn't have anything to do with Yoel.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wow, even coming right off bloodborne and sotfs, this game is kicking my rear end. Any tips besides getting gudder?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bogart posted:

The Herald's spear is just not doing it for me. Any good weapons available at the High Wall? (That said, executioner tip in the round area with all the burning knights: run around him, go right, run up the stairs to where the Ring of Sacrifice jump is, and he'll follow you and fall and you can just plunging attack him. Takes about three plunges.)

Herald's armor sucks, too. :v: I need some drat poise.

This was my position too. I made it a fire spear and it got me to the Settlement, but I just couldn't get the hang of it's reach and move set. Just seemed like I'd misjudge the distance every time. I picked up the Astora Straight Sword in High Wall and made it raw and the game is seriously easy mode now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If you guys haven't bought one, get a torch. Really useful for finding things you might have otherwise missed, plus the lighting system is really beautiful in this game and it adds to the Heros journey feels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

net cafe scandal posted:

If you guys haven't bought one, get a torch. Really useful for finding things you might have otherwise missed, plus the lighting system is really beautiful in this game and it adds to the Heros journey feels.

Yeah but it has equip weight so I can't be bothered to keep it on.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If you don't do regular sweeps of the Shrine, torch in hand, I guarantee you are missing all sorts of stuff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to go home and play this

i hope thats ok

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Wow, even coming right off bloodborne and sotfs, this game is kicking my rear end. Any tips besides getting gudder?

Don't start deprived for your first run (especiallly if you're getting your rear end kicked), summon co-op help if you're really getting your rear end kicked, co-op is fun.

The zones are very tricky but like any souls game as you die you learn the traps and get better. It gets easier fast with practice.

Make sure you don't overlook the new sword art abilities, they really add to combat and give you more options.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CJ posted:

He made you hollow, die more and it increases your hollowing, which boosts your luck and other poo poo

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but it has equip weight so I can't be bothered to keep it on.

How foolish

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Make your weapon raw and level only HP and stamina, you can respec later. :downs:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

net cafe scandal posted:

Does the torch have a timer?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^No

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does the torch have a timer?

No but there may be some marginal durability drain that I've never noticed. It's not as stupid as in DS2 which is a running theme I've picked up on

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Game started crashing at bonfires for me :( Guess I'll shelve this until a patch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zaphod42 posted:

You really, really should have known that was a faustian bargain when you signed up for it. Obviously a free level has a cost.

Check your inventory, you have a new item which explains your status.

There's a way to cure that, but it'll take you awhile.

You get an item in your inventory, so unless you're not paying attention you should notice something is up either way.

Then again whoooole lotta goons in this thread missing obvious things :v: wonder how some of y'all ever blundered through DS1/DS2, probably with wiki...

Oh I noticed the item, dude is my zombie bro. Zombro.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

No but there may be some marginal durability drain that I've never noticed. It's not as stupid as in DS2 which is a running theme I've picked up on

Durability doesn't seem like much of an issue this time around. Buy a repair powder just in case but that's all you really need to do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

If its the difference between being above and under 30% I'm not gonna keep what is functionally useless on my equip bar. I'll switch to it in a really dark area but there hasn't been any of those yet.

net cafe scandal posted:

How the gently caress could you ever run out of time on a torch in DS2 the game gives you mountains of them

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Neat.

Also I made a raw claymore but the fire battle ax is more fun. Some enemies are really weak to fire, like the hollows that turn into dark beasts make a gloriously loud cacophony when hit with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How are people having computer problems? The game runs perfect for me.

Turned off AA and motion blur because its basically unneeded.

Win 7 with a 980 ti.

man nurse posted:

Game started crashing at bonfires for me :( Guess I'll shelve this until a patch.

Verify the game cache. If any game does not work on steam, verify the game cache.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If its the difference between being above and under 30% I'm not gonna keep what is functionally useless on my equip bar. I'll switch to it in a really dark area but there hasn't been any of those yet.

How the gently caress could you ever run out of time on a torch in DS2 the game gives you mountains of them

If you want to miss the rarest and most fabulous loot, nestled in the darkest corners, heck I can't stop you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tenzarin posted:

Win 7 with a 980 ti.

man with $650 vidcard asking how poors have problems running a game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Loot glows white. You don't need a torch to find it. Its more useful for locating hidden passages in dark areas but again, I haven't found an area dark enough that I needed the torch yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Win 7 with a 980 ti.

Probably has something to do with your 8000 dollar graphic card