Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Verify the game cache. If any game does not work on steam, verify the game cache.

Noted, but this has been reported as a widespread problem for PC users. It's probably not going to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nothing like the feeling when you're like five hours in and realize you wish you could rename your character :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Nothing like the feeling when you're like five hours in and realize you wish you could rename your character :smith:

I named my guy "Battlemage Io" (just because it's the character limit), realized I don't want to do that, and now regret not going with the old standby of "Scrublord" instead.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

man nurse posted:

Noted, but this has been reported as a widespread problem for PC users. It's probably not going to fix it.

I'm able to use bonfires like a boss!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Try realizing you consumed the item that it turns out lets you acquire the fucken Bloodborne get-your-health-back-with-attacks ring. I'm almost tempted to start over between that and accepting the free level up from the sorcerer guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

man nurse posted:

Try realizing you consumed the item that it turns out lets you acquire the fucken Bloodborne get-your-health-back-with-attacks ring. I'm almost tempted to start over between that and accepting the free level up from the sorcerer guy.

Don't worry. The ring does almost nothing. You're not missing much.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
I haven't been invaded by a non-npc yet :( I'm usually embered too!

Tulips
Dec 27, 2011

Duck Hunt!

Has anyone else had a problem with Crystal Sage disappearing and not coming back (bugged)?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

net cafe scandal posted:

If you want to miss the rarest and most fabulous loot, nestled in the darkest corners, heck I can't stop you.

DS3 real talk: There was some item behind a pile of crazy combusting cultists and a giant axe guy and I beat all of them and finally clambered toward the irresistible white glow... And it was a soul money item only.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I haven't been invaded by a non-npc yet :( I'm usually embered too!

Try rubbing a dead finger on your face.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
A message prompted me to use my torch on a pillar in the church.

One thing led to another and, well... the entire building is on fire now.

Does this effect anything or is it just, like, a cool pointless thing?

e: Lady Blue doesn't even seem to care. She's just sitting there like, "Yep, this is what I'm dealing with today. Still not getting out of this chair."

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

mastershakeman posted:

Is this game going to run on lowest settings w/ a 560Ti? I would assume so but reading the min/recommende specs it's hard to tell.

Maybe a little late (this thread moves fast) but I got it to a playable framerate with a 560 ti by cranking all settings to low and overclocking. Probably going to set it on fire, but it only has to last until new card arrives.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If one were to use CheatEngine to rename one's character (that was possible in DS2, at least), would that be seriously risking a softban?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does the (ending spoilers) usurpation of fire ending mean that I lose health every time I die with the hollowing? Wanted to know before I went on that path. Game's much easier when it's in a language I understand.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone know which is the less-restrictive of the cross-region play settings? You'd think it would be "matchmaking on" but maybe "matchmaking on" means it matchmakes you with people in your region and "matchmaking off" means it lets you see everyone.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Without spoiling anything, how far into the game do I have to be to get the bluecop covenant. I want to counter invade dudes and hit them with a giant spikey hammer

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

DeathSandwich posted:

Without spoiling anything, how far into the game do I have to be to get the bluecop covenant. I want to counter invade dudes and hit them with a giant spikey hammer

not very far, like second bonfire in the first non-tutorial area i think

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mr E posted:

Does the (ending spoilers) usurpation of fire ending mean that I lose health every time I die with the hollowing? Wanted to know before I went on that path. Game's much easier when it's in a language I understand.

You don't lose max hp in this game

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BlackFrost posted:

A message prompted me to use my torch on a pillar in the church.

One thing led to another and, well... the entire building is on fire now.

Does this effect anything or is it just, like, a cool pointless thing?

e: Lady Blue doesn't even seem to care. She's just sitting there like, "Yep, this is what I'm dealing with today. Still not getting out of this chair."

Could this be a bonfire..? n short that was me, hth

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

These item boxes are far too little

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Does anybody know if the guy who appears outside Firelink at the start of the game who talks about the curse being a sham appears again (in the early game)? He seems like the sort of NPC with a neat storyline.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I am ready to play this for another 12 hours today.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

man nurse posted:

If it makes you feel better, I killed that dude because I interpreted his dialogue literally when you meet him.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leveling up your skills to the point where it actually makes a difference is going to cost an insane amount of souls. I'm up to 6K for every point of of strength etc. The only one that gives me 4-5 points is vigor but every single enemy does so much damage it seems like a waste to put much into that stat. Am I supposed to be leveling up a weapon? Which one? Am I supposed to be running away from everything in the undead settlement, that doesn't seem possible. Tediously crawling through everything trying to draw them away in manageable groups? Ugh. Also the frame rate is bad enough that it's giving me a headache and making it feel like a chore to swing the camera around on the ps4. I might have to put it away and hope for a patch that improves performance.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
Did they really remove the ability to use multiple souls at once or am I just missing how to do it? I had been ignoring them until after about 3 hours of playing last night and had to go into my item menu about 17 times to use every little soul I had collected, it was a godsend in DS2.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is anybody playing this on a low end system? I have an i3-3220 and an R9 270, which both exceed the minimum requirements on Steam, but I get the impression that a lot of people with better hardware are having problems.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Steely Glint posted:

Does anybody know if the guy who appears outside Firelink at the start of the game who talks about the curse being a sham appears again (in the early game)? He seems like the sort of NPC with a neat storyline.

You mean Depresso McMailcoif? He hangs out in the great hall

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cultisto posted:

Did they really remove the ability to use multiple souls at once or am I just missing how to do it? I had been ignoring them until after about 3 hours of playing last night and had to go into my item menu about 17 times to use every little soul I had collected, it was a godsend in DS2.

"use selection" lets you use a bunch at once.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

If one were to use CheatEngine to rename one's character (that was possible in DS2, at least), would that be seriously risking a softban?

I don't think anyone knows yet if they copy/pasted SOTFS limitations or what.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Cultisto posted:

"Use Selected".

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

scamtank posted:

You mean Depresso McMailcoif? He hangs out in the great hall

I thought he was different - depressed guy was inside, weird dude was outside by the grave - but now I'm not sure. You're probably right though since I was playing the game at 2am lol.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

plape tickler posted:

Leveling up your skills to the point where it actually makes a difference is going to cost an insane amount of souls. I'm up to 6K for every point of of strength etc. The only one that gives me 4-5 points is vigor but every single enemy does so much damage it seems like a waste to put much into that stat. Am I supposed to be leveling up a weapon? Which one? Am I supposed to be running away from everything in the undead settlement, that doesn't seem possible. Tediously crawling through everything trying to draw them away in manageable groups? Ugh. Also the frame rate is bad enough that it's giving me a headache and making it feel like a chore to swing the camera around on the ps4. I might have to put it away and hope for a patch that improves performance.

1. Seek souls. Larger more powerful souls.
2. Level up your weapon when you feel too weak and/or you dont see much multiplayer activity whilst embered. Level up weapons you think are cool/play well.
3. Run from enemies that arent worth fighting
4. WAit for a patch or play on PC

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Iny posted:

"Use Selected".

:ohdear:

Thanks, I'm sure I saw that option but didn't seem like that's what it would do.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's the go-to early weapon for a Merc? I want to upgrade my starter weapons, but it looks like the solo schimitar has better Dex scaling?

And dear lord are there a lot of soapstones. Takes me back.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/overkill Is this still a mechanic in DS3

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a cop posted:

Does anyone know which is the less-restrictive of the cross-region play settings? You'd think it would be "matchmaking on" but maybe "matchmaking on" means it matchmakes you with people in your region and "matchmaking off" means it lets you see everyone.

I can't find any definitive answer for this online haha. Oh from.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Holy poo poo the Undead Settlement is huge and there's still a bunch of poo poo I haven't picked up yet. Are all the areas this big or is Undead Settlement just particularly massive?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Huh, the concept of Braille actually exists in the Souls-verse. Cool.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ufarn posted:

What's the go-to early weapon for a Merc? I want to upgrade my starter weapons, but it looks like the solo schimitar has better Dex scaling?

And dear lord are there a lot of soapstones. Takes me back.

When you get to Firelink, circle around the outside of it toward the left (as you're facing it), there's a katana guy in rags who'll aggro on you. You can kill him fair and square (he's loving hard, mind) or you can do what I did and kick him off the cliff. If you kick him off, you can exit the game and reload your safe and his stuff will be where he normally spawns, including his katana and his rags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What's this poo poo I heard about the early game being really easy? The first post-tutorial area is at least as hard as all of the other starting areas. I'm getting my arse kicked.