Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

quiltyquilty posted:

What's the seventh?

Yeezus, which is bad

Hopefully he fixes his brain problems at some point soon, both because his art is suffering as a result AND because it will probably be bad for his children to have a coke-addicted mentally ill father, but hey we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

obliriovrons posted:

Yeezus, which is bad

Hopefully he fixes his brain problems at some point soon, both because his art is suffering as a result AND because it will probably be bad for his children to have a coke-addicted mentally ill father, but hey we'll see

Wait are people seriously thinking that Kanye's twitter persona is a 100% representation of himself and taking the coke jokes people make as fact?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Well you see when an artist I like doesn't do things I like the only reasonable explanation is that he is severely mentally ill and/or on drugs and furthermore

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sorry that TLOP loving owns in all of its incarnations :shrug:

PS. a kanye album can't be too long, ya goon ...

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
lmao at people who don't like yeezus

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ultralight Beam is definitely the best song, and Chance's verse is like, the verse of the year so far.

Other standouts: Waves, Wolves, Highlights.

Need a few more listens.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

thathonkey posted:

sorry that TLOP loving owns in all of its incarnations :shrug:

PS. a kanye album can't be too long, ya goon ...

It is too long because is has filler tracks.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

Yeezus, which is bad

Yeezus is great and a top 3 Kanye album.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good Will Hrunting posted:

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

I wouldn't call Yeezus top 3, but it's definitely better than TLOP. TLOP, imo, is Kanye's worst thus far.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Which album of his has the least amount of his voice because whatever that one is it is the worst and I hate it and why would Kanye ever hurt me like that I thought we had a connection.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

each album has been better than the last imo

I love broken Kanye

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I love the broken Kanye, the always cokin' Kanye.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
tlop is as good as graduation, and better than college dropout, 808s, and yeezus.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Personally I think Rebirth was Kanye's worst album yet. Incredibly substandard follow-up to Tha Carter III

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Haha, those are not Kanye West albums

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the worst Kanye album is Graduation, qtiyd

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ absolutely true

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Pablo is a masterpiece and seriously if you change the track listing on something you're as full of yourself as Ye is. That's a super cocky move.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my alternative track listing for Graduation would be to cut all of the songs but Flashing Lights

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

setafd posted:

my alternative track listing for Graduation would be to cut all of the songs but Flashing Lights

Can't tell me nothing? Stronger? Homecoming? Everything I am?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Barry bonds is one of his hottest tracks.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeezus is both a great album and also Kanyes 5th or 6th best album, the two are not mutually exclusive.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe y'all would even mention those tracks

might as well have offered Drunk and Hot Girls

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

setafd posted:

I can't believe y'all would even mention those tracks

might as well have offered Drunk and Hot Girls

makes sense that the same peeople that like yeezus more than graduation dont like drunk and hot girls

"tlop is a masterpiece, bazinga!!!"
:goonsay:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wouldn't call TLoP a masterpiece but it's real good

Drunk and Hot Girls is an uncharacteristically meandering track

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I find it extremely hard to compare pre-808s and 808s through now. I have definitive rankings for both subcategories though, and while Yeezus is the lowest of the last 4 I still think its a masterpiece. I just think Pablo is slightly, slightly stronger though I also think it has more filler.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bigass Moth posted:

Barry bonds is one of his hottest tracks.

Barry Bonds is hilarious and amazing. But Black Skinhead and New Slaves are incredible. Both albums are really good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I quite prefer Sky High :smug:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

I find it extremely hard to compare pre-808s and 808s through now. I have definitive rankings for both subcategories though, and while Yeezus is the lowest of the last 4 I still think its a masterpiece. I just think Pablo is slightly, slightly stronger though I also think it has more filler.

This is true, his thematic and style have evolved really quickly since 808's and his previous music was slightly little more homogeneous in nature.

With that said, TLOP is somewhere in the bottom half of his catalog of amazing works (which they all are, culminated by MBDTF as the pinnacle) and it's still a lot better than most artists ever put out. The living album thing was interesting for a little bit, but the album has too many peaks and valleys for me and the music decisions are sometimes confusing and very very rushed or at least reactionary since the first release.

I don't know people don't like Yeezus though, there are some absolutely brilliant songs on that album. Add to that the - Kanye head rapping New Slaves in random places all over the world completely uncensored - thing is peak Ye in all of it's glory. It ages well too, it's still a great listen to this day.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 13, 2016

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Why doesn't anyone like Facts, the best song on Life of Pablo?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Honestly, I barely listen to anything pre-MBDTF anymore. Slow Jamz, New Workout Plan, Flashing Lights, Gold Digger, and that's about it, really. A lot of it really does lack that weird, eclectic pizzazz that Kanye cultivated. I feel like post-MBDTF, his output is more all over the place, but at the same time it's also more interesting and, at least in my opinion, more enjoyable to listen to.

There's also a marked shift in personality post-MBDTF. I mean, y'all heard "I Love Kanye", so I don't need to go into it, but Kanye's later works just feel more...Kanye? I guess? They have a warped charisma to them. Pre-MBDTF Kanye was also charismatic and unique and all that, but I guess in hindsight it feels like he was holding something back that only came out in later albums, and that overshadows his earlier works as a result. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

-Atom- posted:

Why doesn't anyone like Facts, the best song on Life of Pablo?

Because you can't dance to it, according to some idiot a few pages ago.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Fauxshiz posted:

Because you can't dance to it, according to some idiot a few pages ago.

In fact you'd be hardpressed to dance to any song on TLOP, but my comment was for Fade. Facts is bad for worse reasons.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Bandiet posted:

In fact you'd be hardpressed to dance to any song on TLOP, but my comment was for Fade. Facts is bad for worse reasons.

Oh man, I'm the idiot. F words are hard.

I don't have anything to offer about Facts. But I can dance to Fade.

I'm in the group that doesn't care for this album. After my first few listens, the only songs I revisit are Ultralight Beam, Famous, FML, Real Friends, and Wolves. But I didn't like the version of Wolves without the extra verses. And I hate all the jeebus bullshit in Ultralight beam but I love choir singing so I'm torn.

Fauxshiz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 13, 2016

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fade is hella danceable wtf

It should be 44 minutes long

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

setafd posted:

the worst Kanye album is Graduation, qtiyd

You son of a bitch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
pablo is a god dream come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I love FACTS. But I'm a sucker for that overdramatic H.A.M/Clique style.

• Locked thread