Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yeah, I use 1password and keychain both, every so often one or the other asks if I want to update something. I don't really pay it any mind and have no idea whether they coordinate or not because it all just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

By unlicensed Window one do you mean just download the trial version they have on their website or what? Does it last forever?
I forget the exact download, but you'll get a little thing saying "You're running 1Password in demo mode" and asks you to buy a license key, but if you never do it'll still run after the nag screen. The only downside being that you can't seem to add new passwords on Windows until you buy a license, but anything you add elsewhere (e.g. from your phone) still syncs over.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I made the switch to 1password. Y'all still use it and keychain together? I turned off autofill on Safari for keychain. What's everyone's set up? Just want to make sure I'm doing it the best I can.

I was thinking about clearing my keychain and starting fresh.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Korg Gadget recently became universal for iOS (previously iPad exclusive). This is a great audio creation sketchbook utility. The best I've used.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

I made the switch to 1password. Y'all still use it and keychain together? I turned off autofill on Safari for keychain. What's everyone's set up? Just want to make sure I'm doing it the best I can.

I use them both unless I have a site that I have multiple accounts for. Keychain is awesome for 1. Remembering and syncing wifi credentials, and, 2. Entering passwords on your phone and iPad without having to do anything at all.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Clear your keychain. Keeping your passwords in multiple easily accessible locations is inherently less secure than keeping them in one location. There's no redundancy here, once the passwords are out it doesn't matter where they came from, so the less places they can come from the better.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

I did that with Chrome. Apparently I had about 1500 passwords stored in there. From now on, I'm just going to automatically hit the "Forgot Password" link when I come across a site I don't have in LastPass. That way I'll eventually have everything set without having to manually remember what websites I have a login to.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My ipad is doing some typical Apple bullshit where the actual ipad recognizes way less storage space than itunes. From past experience I know the only way to fix this is to do a factory reset and then restore. When I got to reset I get a message saying "There are purchased items on the Ipad that have not been transferred to your itunes library. If you restore the Ipad, these items will be erased, and you will have to purchase them again". That's all it says. It doesn't tell me which apps it's referring to. Syncing doesn't fix the issue. How do I resolve this dumb error?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
An anyone recommend a good video player that supports mkv and AAC audio? Vlc used to be my go to but they patched out AAC.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Airmail has been updated with iPad support. It's great.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

SnatchRabbit posted:

An anyone recommend a good video player that supports mkv and AAC audio? Vlc used to be my go to but they patched out AAC.

nPlayer is what you're after.

https://appsto.re/gb/y0OjG.i

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jackhunter64 posted:

Seconding this! nPlayer is great.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

jackhunter64 posted:

Cool, thanks y'all. Will give it a try tonight.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Is there a free app or something with a trial that will let me export Iphone text messages to a PC in any format that retains timestamps and sender info? I googled and found Imazing but it does a ton of stuff and all I need is to export some texts.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I have an iCloud Photo Library question. My wife's set up with the 50gb plan, (on her 32gb iPhone) - this morning she found she only had 408mb free on her phone, and 22gb was photos (optimized). If she deletes a photo from the phone it deletes it in the cloud.

Is there a way to limit the number of photo's in the library that get synced to the phone?

Is there a way to clear the photos on the phone, but not remove them from the library?

Is there a better way to manage and backup photos?

I have an iPhone/iPad and the 50gb plan, but don't take near the number of photos.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

spanko posted:

Is there a free app or something with a trial that will let me export Iphone text messages to a PC in any format that retains timestamps and sender info? I googled and found Imazing but it does a ton of stuff and all I need is to export some texts.

http://www.allyourtexts.com/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

porktree posted:

I have an iCloud Photo Library question. My wife's set up with the 50gb plan, (on her 32gb iPhone) - this morning she found she only had 408mb free on her phone, and 22gb was photos (optimized). If she deletes a photo from the phone it deletes it in the cloud.

Is there a way to limit the number of photo's in the library that get synced to the phone?

Is there a way to clear the photos on the phone, but not remove them from the library?

Is there a better way to manage and backup photos?

I have an iPhone/iPad and the 50gb plan, but don't take near the number of photos.

The answer to all this is to not use iCloud Photo Library. I'm not being flippant. It just doesn't work like that. Try google photos. You don't need local copies with that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm starting to mess around with IFTT. What exactly do these extra "DO" apps (DO Button, DO Camera, DO Note) allow me to do that the main "IF" app doesn't? Pretty sure I'll just delete them but want to make sure I'm not missing out on some functionality I might like.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

porktree posted:

This worked for me the one time I tried it. Please, please make sure her photos are both uploaded to the IPL and backed up somewhere else first if you try it. I don't wanna be the guy that lost your wife's photos.

1) On the phone, turn off IPL.
2) When you get the camera roll, etc. back, delete all the photos from the phone
3) Turn IPL back on and wait a bit, and you should just have the "optimized" versions on the phone.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This worked for me the one time I tried it. Please, please make sure her photos are both uploaded to the IPL and backed up somewhere else first if you try it. I don't wanna be the guy that lost your wife's photos.

1) On the phone, turn off IPL.
2) When you get the camera roll, etc. back, delete all the photos from the phone
3) Turn IPL back on and wait a bit, and you should just have the "optimized" versions on the phone.
I'll give this a try - she's got the iCloud app on her PC, so the photos are there also, I can duplicate them as a temp backup.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The answer to all this is to not use iCloud Photo Library. I'm not being flippant. It just doesn't work like that. Try google photos. You don't need local copies with that.
Thanks for the info - Looking at Google photos this seems like a great solution - saving full res to the cloud doesn't even dock your Google drive space.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

porktree posted:

Thanks for the info - Looking at Google photos this seems like a great solution - saving full res to the cloud doesn't even dock your Google drive space.

It DOES after a certain picture size, I think it's like 22megapixel

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In practical terms this may be a nitpick, but

porktree posted:

Looking at Google photos this seems like a great solution - saving full res to the cloud doesn't even dock your Google drive space.
from Google: "Most phone cameras are less than 16 megapixels (like iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy phones), so most stored photos will essentially look the same if you choose High quality."

Also, since I seem to have a habit of appearing to shill it, a friendly reminder to people that Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage space.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there a way to limit how much the photos app will download when I am in optimize phone storage mode? I thought it would just download thumbnails and then download the pics when I click on them. But I am now noticing that it's downloading as much of my photo library as it can. I am on my iPad Pro and currently my photos app is taking up 68gig of storage. I looked on my iPad Air 2 and its 30g of 64g.

Is there a setting I am missing? I know it's suppose to adjust the storage as needed, but does not always do that. This explains why my mom's iPhone with only 16g is constantly full with 9g worth of photos. She gets warnings all the time that she is out of storage. Shouldn't the photos app free up space as needed?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In practical terms this may be a nitpick, but

from Google: "Most phone cameras are less than 16 megapixels (like iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy phones), so most stored photos will essentially look the same if you choose High quality."

Also, since I seem to have a habit of appearing to shill it, a friendly reminder to people that Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage space.

That shouldn't be a problem - I should also look at Prime; I have a membership and I always forget about this. (I even use AWS at work).

Anyway, here's the rest of the story. I turned off iCloud Photo Library, booted the phone, and it came back with 6mb free. I looked at storage and it still said IPL was using 22gb of space. Ok, let's reboot again. Nope.

It turns out my wife was shooting a ton of videos the night before, uploading them to youtube and then deleting them. After doing 4 or 5 vids she got a message saying the phone was full, so she deleted all her music - you see where this is leading.

Once I got a hold of her phone and looked I deleted 26 videos using 22gb of space from the deleted items folder in Photos. She now has no apps, no music and 22+ gb of freespace. IPL is back on, and set to optimize, so it's taking very minimal space on the iPhone. And as a bonus I've got google photos linked to her account and backing anything new. I'll hit her laptop and transfer the rest this weekend.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Question: does anybody know of a good lightweight app for recording class lectures? Would really love bookmark functionality so I can tell when the professor moves to the next slide. No preference on pay vs free.

Thanks!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Sorry I don't have a suggestion here, but be careful recording lectures - many professors probably won't care, but it's typically not allowed by the university (they make their money by controlling the audience to their professors) and whatever privacy policies which might apply.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Other universities may already do lecture capture in some form (usually videos with slides/whiteboards/doc-cam & lecturer speaking), but may not advertise it particularly widely.

It's worth checking with the person taking the lecture.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

be careful recording lectures - many professors probably won't care, but it's typically not allowed by the university (they make their money by controlling the audience to their professors) and whatever privacy policies which might apply.

gently caress this poo poo.

Notability allows you to record while taking notes, you can attach recordings to specific notes too for organization. I've no doubt that other note taking apps have similar functions.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sorry I don't have a suggestion here, but be careful recording lectures - many professors probably won't care, but it's typically not allowed by the university (they make their money by controlling the audience to their professors) and whatever privacy policies which might apply.

Are you in the US? I've never heard of this before, neither during orientation when I was in school nor when I taught.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never heard of it on a university level as a policy, but I've certainly heard of individual professors who don't like being recorded.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I've never heard of it on a university level as a policy, but I've certainly heard of individual professors who don't like being recorded.

Yeah, some of them can get quite pissy about it. Even back when I was U of Iowa in the early 90s. There was no policy about recording, but some professors absolutely lost their poo poo if they saw one of those little micro-cassette recorders out. It was usually on the course syllabus in BIG LETTERS TO SHOW THAT THEY MEAN IT.

But I don't see how they can possibly tell if you're keeping notes on an iPad. So go for it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

Are you in the US? I've never heard of this before, neither during orientation when I was in school nor when I taught.

Yeah. It's typically a policy that doesn't get advertised, but exists at most (if not all) universities. Most professors won't notice or care, but more attention is starting to be drawn to it since schools are figuring out that students all have devices capable of recording and distributing lectures now.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
university should be free and teachers should be paid by the government (and a larger salary at that). Pay athletes and actors way less.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Okay

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

university should be free and teachers should be paid by the government (and a larger salary at that). Pay athletes and actors way less.

There should be no government.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Everything would be a lot simpler if there were no people.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Yeah. It's typically a policy that doesn't get advertised, but exists at most (if not all) universities. Most professors won't notice or care, but more attention is starting to be drawn to it since schools are figuring out that students all have devices capable of recording and distributing lectures now.

It's a really dumb policy since no matter how many free recorded lectures you watch they aren't going to get the piece of paper or access to professional networks that people actually pay tuition for.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Dubstep Jesus posted:

It's a really dumb policy since no matter how many free recorded lectures you watch they aren't going to get the piece of paper or access to professional networks that people actually pay tuition for.

I am a professor, and at my university, my lectures are my intellectual property (unless I develop them for online courses and sell them to the university). This is standard policy at most places. I often have students ask me if they can record lectures, and I'm fine with that. Bottom line: if you want to record a lecture, just ask. I think most profs would be happy that you want to return to the class content later.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
SA professor crew checking in! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

nerds