Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

homeless poster posted:

i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

I agree, and this is one of the reasons I only summon at the boss if I decide to at all. I hate having people rush the objective because they are grinding. I don't blame them, but the game is a lot more enjoyable when you are fumbling around with no drat clue where you are supposed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A question about parrying: is there a noticeable difference between the target round shield and the other small shields in terms of parrying ease? Basically what does the fancy parry animation get me that the others don't?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night setting SSAO and lighting to low and switching to knight fixed my problems. Today I can't get away from the high tower bon fire in Lothric.

Fix your loving game, From Software.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

pmchem posted:

I feel no pity for you or anyone like you. A lot of people just want to have fun with jolly co-operation at release, and people like the guy named 'Hitler' that just came in and stood by a miniboss waiting for me to progress last night are annoying trolls that deserve every 1v3 they face. It's actually quite fun to fool around with or as a white phantom early in DS3 when people have no idea what's going on. It's rewarding to help each other out and you can still lead the exploration if you prefer, too. Praise the Sun.

Also, I read that invasion mechanics prioritize invading people with more phantoms first, so that's why you're getting so many 1v3's. But, does reading it in spoilers instead of figuring that out on your own detract from your enjoyment? Philosophical question...

pussy

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Where are you guys finding this Hattori Hanzo dude? I'm through the first 2-3 zones or so and didn't see anyone like that.

e: Also the requirements to run this game even okay-ish are pretty nuts and I had to do the downgrade my drivers thing to make this run at anything above a slideshow.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I got some dual scimitars which are RAD AS FUUUUUUCK to use.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
1000x folded is outside Firelink Shrine.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

Where are you guys finding this Hattori Hanzo dude? I'm through the first 2-3 zones or so and didn't see anyone like that.

Face the entrance to Firelink Shrine and go left and round to the side.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
teddybears crying about pvp

Oovee posted:

Just getting started, but Uchikatana (almost)right from the start? Aw yess!(was it a lucky drop?).

I chose the uchi from the start, Fire enchanted, upgraded it over the course of the game and it was comparable to melee players damage output, sometimes superior because bleed kicks rear end in DS3.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wildtortilla posted:

Last night setting SSAO and lighting to low and switching to knight fixed my problems. Today I can't get away from the high tower bon fire in Lothric.

Fix your loving game, From Software.

You know what it is? The game loving RESETS THE LIGHTING TO MEDIUM. Or at least it does for me, every time I suddenly start crashing I check and it's back to loving medium.

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

e: Also the requirements to run this game even okay-ish are pretty nuts and I had to do the downgrade my drivers thing to make this run at anything above a slideshow.

Left of Firelink Shrine, still getting hosed up by him :negative:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

You know what it is? The game loving RESETS THE LIGHTING TO MEDIUM. Or at least it does for me, every time I suddenly start crashing I check and it's back to loving medium.

Maybe there's an .ini file somewhere to make the change permanent? I dunno, worth a look.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

homeless poster posted:

i used all 5 of the starting cracked red eye orbs and i was very surprised to learn that evidently everyone plays this game with 2 buddy phantoms at all times. getting stomped 3v1 is whatever, but i am amazed that so many people prefer to roll through the game the first time with +2 people watching their back instead of digging through the dungeons on their own. i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

This is literally the best part of any souls game. You invite a phantom to help and show you the level. They take the lead. Then after you know the level you should become the phantom to lead others.

It is pay it forward the game. Playing solo is for the kids too kool for skool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well that was weird. Bluecop summoned, took forever to load, when I did it was like the mipmap in everything had gone funky and I was blinded by super white textures.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Those Corvians in the Road of Sacrifices do not gently caress around.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm at the Undead Settlement, have I missed the shortbow weapon?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

No poo poo? Its deprived :v:

Seriously all these goons picking deprived for their very first run of a new souls game and then getting absolutely wrecked is hilarious. Get over your pride and pick a normal starting class, sheesh. You can do deprived on your second character if you really wanna sperg about min/maxing your stats. Most people played DS1 as something else before they went deprived.

Deprived is the best way to play, all the other classes items are in the game somewhere. The difference from starting as a knight or warrior or a depraved is very little.

The only classes that are good to start not as a depraved is if you want to be a spell caster.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there any reason not to upgrade whatever weapons you like with simple + damage?

Does doing that lock you out of converting them into different damage types? If you convert a weapon to a different damage types, does it undo all your + upgrades to it?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

My settings are unchanged. Literally nothing has changed but my game won't run anymore.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

fish fingers posted:

I charged him on the stairs with a shield up and kicked him off the edge. Took 2 kicks.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Deprived is the best way to play, all the other classes items are in the game somewhere. The difference from starting as a knight or warrior or a depraved is very little.

The only classes that are good to start not as a depraved is if you want to be a spell caster.

I usually do my first play-through as knight since my first run is generally a str based guy that swings around big weapons anyway.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Hey guys I bought the halberd and I kick everybody's rear end with it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any reason not to upgrade whatever weapons you like with simple + damage?

Does doing that lock you out of converting them into different damage types? If you convert a weapon to a different damage types, does it undo all your + upgrades to it?

Nope, you can infuse and clear infusions at will without losing upgrades. Every type of weapon (except boss/unique weapons) upgrades with regular titanite, so there's no reason not to upgrade. It's always a good idea.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
PRITHEE

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm new to the Souls series and can someone help me understand how to think about the weapons in this game? I love Bloodborne, and the weapons in that are rare and very specifically located. You can also start with the best weapons in the game. I also loved the way trick weapons worked.

In Souls it seems like weapons are random drops, and there's a million more. Is the basic starting axe something I want to level up like the axe in bloodborne? If I find a "short sword" is that great or will I eventually get a unique named short sword that has special stats?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Tenacious J posted:

I'm new to the Souls series and can someone help me understand how to think about the weapons in this game? I love Bloodborne, and the weapons in that are rare and very specifically located. You can also start with the best weapons in the game. I also loved the way trick weapons worked.

In Souls it seems like weapons are random drops, and there's a million more. Is the basic starting axe something I want to level up like the axe in bloodborne? If I find a "short sword" is that great or will I eventually get a unique named short sword that has special stats?

Pick something that looks cool and you like the move set for. Use that. If you find something you think looks cooler or has a better move set use that. Or don't.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Tenacious J posted:

Find a weapon with a move set you like. If you're having trouble getting through an area upgrade it. You can win the game with pretty much any weapon you want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

Is there any penalty on burning undead bone shard on firelink to improve estus?

No, and I even went and tested it after somebody earlier posted complaining "oh this is dumb you have to bonfire ascetic in order to improve estus"

Naturally that's totally false, all it does is improve estus. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

Much like Bloodborne, any weapon (except the obviously lovely ones, like the Broken Straight Sword) can be upgraded and be good throughout the game. There are definitely some weapons with special properties, such as weapons you make out of the souls of bosses, but they're not necessarily "better." Hell, the basic Longsword is always a crazy good and versatile weapon in these games from beginning to end. A Battle Axe could be, too.

Upgrade materials are also much more common in this than in Bloodborne, so don't feel like you're really committing to something by upgrading it a bit. The only real "commitments" are the weapons you take to +10 with a Titanite Slab, and even then, there are more of those than there are Blood Rocks in Bloodborne.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I have a small request for an addition to the OP that some people might appreciate (me included). I really dislike spoilers, but there are different levels of spoilers, and I think it might be nice to have (in spoiler tags, of course) a list of certain items like: beyond "x" point you are no longer to obtain "y" item; if you join "x" covenant you are forever barred from joining "y" covenant until your next NG cycle, if you perform the action "x" then "y" NPC will no longer be available / will not speak to you / will become hostile. In other words, I want to experience the game to the fullest extent possible on my 1st playthrough, and if I have to make a decision I would like to know if it has consequences which affect that current playthrough (I don't give a crap about the ending; they always suck anyway).

I know a few of these things and I only feel safe going to the various wikis because they are horribly incomplete right now, but it won't be long before information is filled in and you can't avoid spoilers that you don't want.

I'm only 6.5 hours in, and about to finish High Wall, so I can't make anything like a complete list. Is anyone willing to come up with one of these "point of no return" lists for DS3? It would be a community service. If someone really wanted to do a bang-up job of it, I'd buy premium for someone, or an avatar, or whatever if they were willing to make one of these. If that person happens to play WOT or WOWS, I'd be happy to compensate for the effort with a gift of gold or a premium tank at tier 5 (or less, if desired). A loving itunes gift card. Whatever, as appreciation for the effort.

Just for consideration.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tenacious J posted:

If you find "short sword" and like it, stick with it. There probably isn't a "short sword of la-dee-da" that's a straight up better version of "short sword" in every way. There will likely be several variants of each weapon and type, so there might be a couple of different short swords in the game, but they probably won't be direct upgrades. They'll be slightly different versions of each other, each with their own pros and cons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tenacious J posted:

Your stats will barely change any of the starting weapons because just about every weapon has low scaling at a low level.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
bringing 2 phantoms to get slaughtered at the boreal valley dancer is the most evil fun I've had in a video game ever. Most of them patiently point towards vordt boss room, and i just run the other way stubbornly. then the fight commences and they get crushed within 3 seconds. I get crushed a little later but who cares?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

GreatGreen posted:

I've heard that regular upgrade materials are pretty plentiful; and I seem to be finding that to be true even though I'm only at the end of the 2nd area - so, no consequences, really.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm completely new to Souls and have mostly stayed away from these types. But I started to get interested with Bloodborne however I never got it. Today I said f it and went out to just pick it up on a whim. The game is really daunting to me and I am not getting the idea of the hub. How much of a learning curve and I looking at just to understand what I'm suppose to do and where I'm suppose to go?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

You can think of weapons as playing the same role as they do in Bloodborne, the only difference being that they're not as complex in their movesets and that they're more common. So everything is viable, and often times the basic weapons (like the standard Longsword) are among some of the best.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

fish fingers posted:

Not sure what you've got for weapons, but I managed to bring him down after a handful of tries with the weapon arts strong hit with a longsword. It's got a good extra-long-range jab attack that lets you stay out of his whirlwind-of-steel range and zoom in for a poke and maybe a few follow up whacks. Roll away whimpering, repeat. Just watch out for those parries. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

rotaryfun posted:

I'm completely new to Souls and have mostly stayed away from these types. But I started to get interested with Bloodborne however I never got it. Today I said f it and went out to just pick it up on a whim. The game is really daunting to me and I am not getting the idea of the hub. How much of a learning curve and I looking at just to understand what I'm suppose to do and where I'm suppose to go?

Best way to describe it is that they are like old school resident evil games and DMCs. You go around and explore your way through a zone fighting things with very little story.

Most of the time it's pretty linear.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So Dark Souls 3 has turned into Sniper Elite 3 for me. I just snipe everyone with my trusty longbow, melee combat is for peasants (and bosses). It helps that the pathing AI is complete garbage and enemies will just run around in circles if you are in the right spot.

Tenzarin posted:

Best way to describe it is that they are like old school resident evil games and DMCs. You go around and explore your way through a zone fighting things with very little story.

Most of the time it's pretty linear.

Oh wow, never thought about it that way but the Resident Evil comparison is spot on. The new parasite enemies even look the they came right out of Resident Evil 4 :haw:.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dont be like me and miss the third, most central bonfire in undead settlement until you have literally done everything else to do. actually thats not a certainty there's a ton to do in that zone. one of the best souls levels ever.