Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But Volvo's are Swedish, is Swedish engineering still in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kwyndig posted:

If that's your reaction 'will destroy anything reasonable we can make the rocket out of' then you're secretly a rocket engineer, aren't you?

Sounds like it’s time to consider unreasonable materials.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

But Volvo's are Swedish, is Swedish engineering still in?

No, Saabs were the only Swedish vehicle suitable for supersonic combat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A White Guy posted:

Thinking in terms of actual physics, our own interpretation of warp drive would also be expanding space and then shrinking, so you actually can't just throw a theoretical piece of German engineering into a planet at .99c.

However, the amount of energy you'd need to get your Volvo functioning as an Alcubierre drive is more than enough to just outright vaporize earth sized objects soo

It's pretty clear that what Star Trek calls 'warp drive' is not an Alcubierre drive because there's no planet-sterilizing burst of infinitely-blueshifted radiation showing up when ever a ship drops out of warp.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

It's pretty clear that what Star Trek calls 'warp drive' is not an Alcubierre drive because there's no planet-sterilizing burst of infinitely-blueshifted radiation showing up when ever a ship drops out of warp.

There is, actually, but it's so far shifted into gamma that nobody observes direct thermal effects.

This explains why most races they encounter are never heard from again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like it’s time to consider unreasonable materials.

Even theoretical alloys of hafnium aren't strong enough, and using an alloy of one of the hardest metals to refine (because it's chemically almost identical to its good buddy zirconium) is already on the unreasonable scale.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bhodi posted:

the coolest thing that came out nuclear shaped-charge research was the "Casaba-Howitzer" program which is a still-classified nuclear directed energy weapon

Any sufficiently advanced propulsion system is also a weapons system.

Hahaha this is the most badass thing I've ever read. A weaponised Orion Drive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Phobophilia posted:

I thought a weaponized Orion drive was just a nuke

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Even theoretical alloys of hafnium aren't strong enough, and using an alloy of one of the hardest metals to refine (because it's chemically almost identical to its good buddy zirconium) is already on the unreasonable scale.

I'd be curious about the possibilities of some modern high-performance ceramics for rocket nozzles. There are many that are lighter and stronger than any metal, and can be white-hot without loss of performance.

A little Googling and it seems Airbus is working on exactly that sort of thing:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought a weaponized Orion drive was just a nuke

Well it's a nuke that turns a disk of material into a spear of hot plasma traveling at a small but significant enough fraction of the speed of light.

It's a nuke panzerfaust.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phobophilia posted:

The nuclear shaped-charge idea predates Orion, I believe. Read John McPhee's "The Curve of Binding Energy," about famed nuclear weapons/reactor designer Ted Taylor, who did direct Project Orion at General Atomics. I recall that the original use for it was a scheme to dig a transcontinental tunnel under North America, evacuate the air from it, and use it for a supersonic coast-to-coast subway system; Taylor claimed that a one-kiloton bomb could bore a 10'-diameter hole through 1000' of rock.

Taylor also designed a *pure fission* bomb that was tested at 500 kilotons of yield, as a backup in case the hydrogen bomb design didn't work. It contained 60 kilograms of HEU, so that yield is pretty absurd when the theoretical maximum you can get from fissioning 60 kg of pure U235 is just a shade more than 1000 kilotons. Little Boy was 64 kilograms, and under 1 kilogram of it actually underwent fission. Ivy King was only about 7 years later and was over 40% efficient. Ted Taylor was a smart motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O69Kc1i01tA

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

xthetenth posted:

The platonic ideal of propulsion is sending the entire propulsion system rearwards at high velocity.

As usual, John Clark had a story to tell about that:

quote:

F. A. Tsander, in Moscow, headed one of these. He was an aeronau­
tical engineer who had written extensively — and imaginatively — on
rockets and space travel, and in one of his publications had suggested
that an astronaut might stretch his fuel supply by imitating Phileas
Fogg. When a fuel tank was emptied, the astronaut could simply grind
it up and add the powdered aluminum thus obtaining to the remaining
fuel, whose heating value would be correspondingly enhanced! This
updated emulation of the hero of Around the World in Eighty Days, who,
when he ran out of coal, burned up part of his ship in order to keep
the rest of it moving, not unnaturally remained on paper, and
Tsander's experimental work was in a less imaginative vein. He
started work in 1929, first with gasoline and gaseous air, and then, in
1931, with gasoline and liquid oxygen.

Ignition! pages 6-7

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

keyboard vomit posted:

Hurling giant rocks at poo poo is banned in the Space Geneva Convention.

:goonsay:
Actually, you'll find that Space Geneva Convention doesn't prevent anyone from dropping rocks from space

Bhodi posted:

the coolest thing that came out nuclear shaped-charge research was the "Casaba-Howitzer" program which is a still-classified nuclear directed energy weapon

:golfclap:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HawkHill posted:

As usual, John Clark had a story to tell about that:

Ignition! pages 6-7

I found Ignition! at the thrift store for a buck fifty! It's even signed by the authors!

Wait, authors? That doesn't sound righ...MOTHERFUCKERS. Uhhhg

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Bhodi posted:

Basically, The Kzinti Lesson.

quote:

The A-T Officer wanted all the credit he could get. “Sir, they couldn’t have any big weapons. There isn’t room. With a reaction drive, the motor and the fuel tanks take up most of the available space.”

The other ship began to turn away from its tormentor. Its drive end glowed red.

“They’re trying to get away,” the Captain said, as the glowing end swung toward them. “Are you sure they can’t?”

“Yes, sir. That light drive won’t take them anywhere.”

The Captain purred thoughtfully. “What would happen if the light hit our ship?”

“Just a bright light, I think. The lens is flat, so it must be emitting a very wide beam. They’d need a parabolic reflector to be dangerous. Unless—” His ears went straight up.

“Unless what?” The Captain spoke softly, demandingly.

“A laser. But that’s all right, sir. They don’t have any weapons.”

The Captain sprang at the control board. “Stupid!” he spat. “They don’t know weapons from sthondat blood. Weapons Officer! How could a telepath find out what they don’t know? WEAPONS OFFICER!”

“Here, sir.”

“Burn—”

An awful light shone in the control dome. The Captain burst into flame, then blew out as the air left through a glowing split in the dome.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

MisterOblivious posted:

I found Ignition! at the thrift store for a buck fifty! It's even signed by the authors!

Wait, authors? That doesn't sound righ...MOTHERFUCKERS. Uhhhg

Kevin J Anderson ahahahahah you just owned yourself so hard

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Minarchist posted:

Oh hell THAT'S the series I was trying to think of all day today, where the peaceful humans have no weapons and get attacked by aliens and survive til they can build warships by turning their fusion drives into weapons.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Minarchist posted:

This is called NIven's Law. An engine is a weapon equal to its energy potential.

It's paired with a conjecture called the bin Laden corollary describing the fuel's eruptive capacity.

It is brutal.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

spider bethlehem posted:

This is called NIven's Law. An engine is a weapon equal to its energy potential.

It's paired with a conjecture called the bin Laden corollary describing the fuel's eruptive capacity.

It is brutal.

I like your choice of eruptive over anything to do with heat or melting.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Laser beams cant melt space alloy hulls

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Laser beams cant melt space alloy hulls

But your engineer? Hoo boy, your engineer will find a way.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Kevin J Anderson ahahahahah you just owned yourself so hard

He's written worse books than that one. I bought it so this may be Stockholm syndrome.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Bhodi posted:

Corollary: Any sufficiently advanced weapons system is also a propulsion system.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Weapons and propulsion are both "I want a lot of energy right there, and I want it now." Of course they're interchangeable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Propulsion can also be "I want to throw as much energy out the back as possible, and we've got a timeframe of months to do it".

However, any sufficiently fast propulsion is a weapon.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Phanatic posted:

The nuclear shaped-charge idea predates Orion, I believe. Read John McPhee's "The Curve of Binding Energy," about famed nuclear weapons/reactor designer Ted Taylor, who did direct Project Orion at General Atomics. I recall that the original use for it was a scheme to dig a transcontinental tunnel under North America, evacuate the air from it, and use it for a supersonic coast-to-coast subway system; Taylor claimed that a one-kiloton bomb could bore a 10'-diameter hole through 1000' of rock.

Well what about digging a tunnel through the Earth to send a burrito from San Francisco to New York in 42 minutes?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How much poo poo would gently caress up if we actually did use a nuke to bore a big long tunnel? Would it just cause like 1000 earthquakes and volcanic eruptions or would it be fine? Is there any way at all to tell beforehand?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Light Gun Man posted:

How much poo poo would gently caress up if we actually did use a nuke to bore a big long tunnel? Would it just cause like 1000 earthquakes and volcanic eruptions or would it be fine? Is there any way at all to tell beforehand?

Nah.
Underground nuclear detonations dont make much tremors beyond the initial shockwave. It's one single burst of energy, rather than the constant roiling tsunami with unimaginable momentum that is the mantle.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Light Gun Man posted:

Assuming you measured things out and stuff, no worse than how we currently use explosives to blow up rocks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's always the chance you could cause a volcano if you don't do your appropriate underground surveying. Earthquakes, not so much.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

What kind of radiation are we talking here though? I get that it's a small bomb but only digging 1000ft at a time would put in the range of 10-15,000 charges for a cross country tunnel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

earthquakes are generally caused by buildup and sudden release of pressure from tectonic plate movement, local instabilities aren't really a factor.

it'd probably gently caress up the water tables something wicked though, like the ultimate fracking.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheDon01 posted:

What kind of radiation are we talking here though? I get that it's a small bomb but only digging 1000ft at a time would put in the range of 10-15,000 charges for a cross country tunnel.

The residual radiation would nearly all be in the stuff you dig out. Solid rock is solid rock. I guess you could induce a bit of radiation from the shower of gamma rays and neutrons, but it wouldn't be much.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If you want earthquakes just go frack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use nukes to frack.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Use nukes to frack.
We already tried; It was Operation Storax. Didn't work out so well.

Light Gun Man posted:

It's been considered but discarded due to difficulty dealing with contaminated water and fallout. Egypt came the closest to trying it. The closest you might ever see is a crazy country deciding to create a nuclear subterrene (boring machine). Put on your tin-foil hat and take a gander at this. I didn't bother looking up the patents or fact-checking that in any way.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Apr 13, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bhodi posted:

We already tried; It was Operation Storax. Didn't work out so well.

It's been considered but discarded due to difficulty dealing with contaminated water and fallout. Egypt came the closest to trying it. The closest you might ever see is a crazy country deciding to create a nuclear subterrene (boring machine). Put on your tin-foil hat and take a gander at this. I didn't bother looking up the patents or fact-checking that in any way.

Patent US3693731 - Method and apparatus for tunneling by melting

:stonklol:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Fur-lined self contained NBC suits :laffo:

edit

Atomic Earth Blaster posted:

"That sure is a mean-lookiní contraption you got parked outside!" the cook added. "Is that what youíre digginí through to China with?"

"Not exactly." Tom grinned. "Thatís only my experimental model. The blaster we take down to the South Pole will be somewhat different."

"How different?"

"Well, look at these drawings. Instead of those digging devices you see sticking out the front end of our experimental model, the new one will have four electrodes spaced around the nose and a long guide vane sticking right out of the center."

"Whatís the idea oí them things?" Chow asked.

"Well, you see, the old model just ground up dirt and rocks mechanically. But on my new blaster, these electrodes sticking out the front will melt any rock on contact. Then the molten liquid will be drawn in through these intake ports, and further smelting will take place inside the machine. The resulting hot gases will jet out through these exhaust ports at the rear."

good ol boys makin mother earth their bitch with ATOMICS :stare:

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not surprisingly, the USSR also had a program for peaceful use of nukes; the best-known end result is probably Lake Chagan.