Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Ok students, what's helpful when being precepted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I've only been in acute care for one day, but all of our nurses were great because they explained stuff before they did things, and as they did things. Then they asked after if we had questions, and explained why they did things a certain way and helped clarify further. My experience was a little different than most of my group because I was in the OR mostly, but my nurses did an awesome job of asking me how I would prioritize things and explaining how they would. Generally just being open to us asking questions and showing us how they charted etc was really helpful as well (we're also super green, so charting stuff was helpful for us, may be beyond your scope since I think you're in the ICU). Does that help at all?

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Roki B posted:

Demonstrate something and then let the student try it out.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Roki B posted:

Slipping us some alcohol prior to shift.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Roki B posted:

Clear goals and guidelines and a gentle nudge at times.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Roki B posted:

For the students in med/surg 2, I would dart into the med room and peel the "check dosage" stickers off of the meds for the patient I would give to the student, and let them sort all the meds and present them to me prior to leaving the med room. About one out of three would catch it.

So many beaming faces...

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Had my first two interviews yesterday, and I think they both went well.

The first was at a hospital I used to be a monitor tech at, so it was short and sweet - I already know the patient population and common diagnoses/procedures performed. We just kind of caught up, talked about my plans after graduation, and then she said she had 5-6 more people to interview for 2 (maybe 3) new grad positions, she'll call me next week, but she'd "love for me to come back." Too bad it's my 3rd choice.

The second was at a hospital a block away from my house, and I feel it went well too. They have a lot more people to interview, but I should hear back in a week and a half/two weeks.

What I'm really waiting for is the other hospital system in town to start calling for interviews for their RN Residency program. I wanna work where they do VADs and heart transplants.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone looking for traveler work or permanent look into Indianapolis. Our nurse shortage is crazy. Systems are hiring some less than stellar employees.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

I /should/ be released to test for the NCLEX today. Getting your license is the slowest process ever. 6-8 weeks from completion of the program for us, but it could also be my school dragging rear end.

As for what's helpful being precepted? Project confidence in the student, even if you don't have any. It's disheartening to hear "move let me do it" after one attempt at something, especially if the patient doesn't mind the student trying again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'll ask in here but are there any PAs lurking this thread by chance?

I need an adult :smith:

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Maybe you need the medical advice thread in the goon doctor?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Koala Food posted:

I /should/ be released to test for the NCLEX today. Getting your license is the slowest process ever. 6-8 weeks from completion of the program for us, but it could also be my school dragging rear end.

Don't forget. The NCLEX is easily one of the easiest tests you'll ever take in your life. You will likely be taken aback with its lack of difficulty even factoring in computer adaptive testing methods.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Roki B posted:

Don't forget. The NCLEX is easily one of the easiest tests you'll ever take in your life. You will likely be taken aback with its lack of difficulty even factoring in computer adaptive testing methods.

This is true information. My actual NCLEX was waaaay easier than any of the practice exams I took leading up to it. Of course, some people still find a way to fail it ten times before getting licensed, so maybe I was just lucky.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm just bad at the select all that applies (so far). My program is so quick I was thinking about taking a Kaplan course, would I be fine just doing all the Saunder's review questions? We also have access to ATI test prep stuff.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Try the alternate format nclex questions book, my professors love it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I'm still a nursing school babby (1.5 years into a 4 year BSN) but I know the school I'm at, which really drills you on NCLEX poo poo (seriously we're already drilling on how to answer NCLEX questions and haven't even laid hands on a patient yet), swears by the Saunders book. It's basically the textbook for their NCLEX prep class they do final semester senior year.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I'm already giving Saunder's all my money. I have their big NCLEX prep book, and their test taking strategies book. Both are helpful, although I feel like my MedSurg class uses harder questions than Saunder's on the exams. WC I added that rec to probably save later.

I know it's dumb, but I just feel like I'm lacking so much patho so it makes things difficult. I'm looking into auditing a patho class in the fall, the one I took was online and useless. Do you guys use the Lewis MedSurg text? It's a great book but I just don't get much out of it when I read it because I'm not an information retaining robot. It's got some patho for each section, but I also recently picked up a Patho review book that has been really helpful too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I took Kaplan as a prep course, and overall it was beneficial.

However, I would strongly recommend that you take the online version. It still teaches you the Kaplan method (ie, how to correctly bullshit questions you don't know the answer to), still gives you the content review for topics you're rusty on (content review is an online service to begin with), and is cheaper than the in person review.

All you miss from the in person review is spending hours each day answering practice questions, which is a great thing to be doing but you don't need to pay for an instructor to do it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

I took Kaplan as a prep course, and overall it was beneficial.

However, I would strongly recommend that you take the online version. It still teaches you the Kaplan method (ie, how to correctly bullshit questions you don't know the answer to), still gives you the content review for topics you're rusty on (content review is an online service to begin with), and is cheaper than the in person review.

All you miss from the in person review is spending hours each day answering practice questions, which is a great thing to be doing but you don't need to pay for an instructor to do it.

I took the Kaplan course with an instructor and it really helped. NCLEX was a breeze, passed in 75. I learn better with someone there to talk me through it. Online education is not my cup of tea because I find it hard to focus. With the instructor we had to be there for the full session, however many hours that was I don't remember, but it forces you to concentrate and actually get it done.

I would recommend doing it with the instructor, but it all depends on your learning style. If online courses are effective, there's no need to have an instructor. If you struggle with online learning, go with the instructor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

I took the Kaplan course with an instructor and it really helped. NCLEX was a breeze, passed in 75. I learn better with someone there to talk me through it. Online education is not my cup of tea because I find it hard to focus. With the instructor we had to be there for the full session, however many hours that was I don't remember, but it forces you to concentrate and actually get it done.

I would recommend doing it with the instructor, but it all depends on your learning style. If online courses are effective, there's no need to have an instructor. If you struggle with online learning, go with the instructor.

I wish there had been an option to have the instructor for 1 day, to teach the methods, and then go solo. Because we literally just sat there and answered question after question for 6 hours a day for days 2-4. I am not the best online student, but I got as much practice out of my $30 NCLEX smartphone app, and that analyzed my answers and gave me a report of my areas of weakness.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

I was released! Going through UWorld for the next few weeks.

Nobody told me that we have to wait another six weeks for the official results to start working, though. This is the most dragged-out process.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hey y'all. Im looking to change careers and break into medicine. Already have BAs in Economics and International Affairs, but wanna change it up. Im curious, is an accelerated BSN -> a few years of work experience -> PA school a reasonable career path? Maybe Ill just go for the NP if I decide I nursing is really my passion, but I'm curious if RN -> PA is common as well?

Wondering because if PA is the ultimate goal maybe my time would be better spent elsewhere instead of going the nursing route. Thanks guys.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
At least in Pennsylvania, I can't see any reason to go for a PA instead if NP if you already have a RN. I think.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I think this will be an answer that varies from state to state, but I think the burden of schooling makes RN to PA inefficient compared to NP.

Why not just go to PA school?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Yea if you want to be a PA, to PA school. If you wanted me be a nurse, then go to nursing school.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I've heard PA school is really competitive, and by getting my BSN and getting work experience as a nurse I'd be a more viable candidate.

I could also make decent money while accumulating my patient care hours and have a career to fall back on if I decide PA school isn't for me.

Is that dumb?

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 12, 2016

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What's the big difference between an NP and a PA where you would prefer to be one instead of the other?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

potatoducks posted:

What's the big difference between an NP and a PA where you would prefer to be one instead of the other?

Independent medical authority. NPs can work alone without physician oversight in many states. You can't be an entrepreneur as a PA.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

potatoducks posted:

To be perfectly honest I need to gain experience in the field to better understand the differences between the two. I guess I feel working in the medical model may appeal to me more in the long run then the nursing model. However this is just based on my personal intuition with very little experience in health care.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
The only significant difference I've come across is that some specialties such as surgery are dominated by PAs while others such as OB/anesthesia are dominated by NPs. At the very least, physicians and patients seem to treat them as equivalent degrees. I don't know much about the nursing model, but it doesn't seem like something that really persists in clinical practice. It certainly doesn't seem important enough to go out of your way to avoid.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Everyone who already posted covered it pretty much I think. Doing the BSN -> RN -> PA route seems like a really roundabout way of getting to PA school, especially because you'll likely need different pre-reqs for PA school (biochem etc). Keep in mind you can usually work during an NP program, or at least through parts of it. Not sure what that is like for PA school.

If you want to be a PA, do the pre-reqs, get your observation hours while you're doing that, and go to PA school. I imagine since you don't have a science degree you'll likely need to complete a number of pre-reqs for either option right? Pre-reqs for nursing school took me probably 2 years total, and my first degree was in biology.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

Independent medical authority. NPs can work alone without physician oversight in many states. You can't be an entrepreneur as a PA.

And probably shouldn't be allowed to be independent. gently caress that noise though.

Union guy till I die.

Edit: our union has the hospital by the balls. Closed shop. We loving run bartertown.

BTW if any of you go travel nursing and become a scab, do me a favor and blow your brains out. Scabs are just traitor nurses.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 13, 2016

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
When I was looking at PA vs NP all the PA programs were 2.5-3 years and you can't work during them Nursing school is 1-4 years depending on the school and if you have a Bachelors degree and NP is 2-2.5 years.

I don't know about the difference between the nursing model and the medical model except to say that RN nursing is like knowing everything except the pathophysiology and knowing what drugs to use and why but not the deep down and dirty. Like fudge(or any topping- different flavors of nursing), good on its own but it needs something to be a full dessert. NP is like primary care medicine with some extra nursing care on top. Like vanilla icecream with fudge. Available everywhere but better in some states.

PA is like whatever medicine the health care provider does, you do it to an extent. A large extent. But it comes with the buffet. Think an ice cream machine at a buffet of medicine. You can come into the buffet and get ice cream only but you're paying for the buffet and someone is going to make sure that you eat your ice cream, but that person is not the guy who fills the ice cream machine, but his boss.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Roki B posted:

BTW if any of you go travel nursing and become a scab, do me a favor and blow your brains out. Scabs are just traitor nurses.

What is a scab?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

What is a scab?
Strike breaker.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ravenfood posted:

Strike breaker.

Someone who works through a strike I presume?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

How do unions work when you are a traveler anyway?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Collaborative: The employer and the union will have a framework in place to guide traveler contracts. Framework might include incentives for regular staff and regular hires, rules on voluntary vs mandatory OT & call distribution.

Antagonistic: Bust a deal, face the wheel.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wanna go NP. I'm finishing my BSN this fall, and because I hate myself I'm thinking I'm going straight to NP school.

I'm hoping to get in on the ground floor of Johns Hopkins new DNP program, since they'll be accepting BSN candidates.

Eventually I want to work in either infectious disease or emergency medicine, because I want to spend some time working with Doctors Without Borders.

I think it's awesome that NPs can work independently, but there absolutely should be a residency/interning requirement.

I'd be loving terrified of the idea of being someone's primary care provider fresh out of a doctoral program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I highly suggest the Hurst review for NCLEX prep. I graduated and spent two weeks preparing for the test the way Marlene told me to and had absolutely no trouble. Despite the fact that I had a series of panic attacks the night before and slept for roughly three hours, I still finished the NCLEX in an hour just 82 questions into the thing.