Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How bad are AMD powered laptops really. My laptop basically never moves so battery life isn't really an issue for me and I don't really game beyond some RTS and given the shittiness of the CAD you seem to be able to get a lot or for your money by going that way.

Is buying one a really awful idea that will make me hate myself in a few years (My intel laptop has lasted 7 years now but it's dying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

How bad are AMD powered laptops really. My laptop basically never moves so battery life isn't really an issue for me and I don't really game beyond some RTS and given the shittiness of the CAD you seem to be able to get a lot or for your money by going that way.

Is buying one a really awful idea that will make me hate myself in a few years (My intel laptop has lasted 7 years now but it's dying).

There's no reason to buy one over an intel and no difference between them for all practical purposes outside of whatever cost:utility ratio you get on whatever specific model you buy. AMD is just generally in the shitter at the moment so there aren't a lot of people offering them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sbaldrick posted:

I haven't seen any AMD laptops that have reasonable build quality, and at the ultra-low end I haven't seen any under $250 and there's plenty of Intel Windows or even chromebook options there.

The Carrizo CPUs are fine, but barely available in market.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

N. Senada posted:

Hey all, I need a cheap word processor that can play music and stream video. I'm thinking about the HP Stream 11 because it's in the op and 200.00. Are there any better suggestions? I literally need something to type up reports and listen to music on YouTube while I do it.

P.S. It also has to have a windows os

ASUS's X205 is very similar so if you can find it for cheaper it's worth considering.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

ASUS's X205 is very similar so if you can find it for cheaper it's worth considering.

Huh, the X205 has been replaced by the "E200-HA"... because apparently the X205 had too well known of a name, so they went and completely changed it...

I have not put my hands on this one but it looks like it's a completely new chassis, so no idea if it has the same quality screen or keyboard as the venerable X205.

Apparently it has a 17% larger trackpad though, which is nice. The old trackpad was already pretty large.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't seen any AMD laptops that have reasonable build quality, and at the ultra-low end I haven't seen any under $250 and there's plenty of Intel Windows or even chromebook options there.

The Carrizo CPUs are fine, but barely available in market.

HP in theory does AMD EliteBooks which have excellent build quality but I've no idea why anyone would buy one over the Intel equivalent.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The thread title is a direct jab at how awful AMD mobile CPUs are (and also how good Intel mobile power usage is now)

You can mostly only find AMD in garbage consumer laptops, but also some business laptops due to exclusivity deals some educational/enterprise users painted themselves in to a corner with.

Lenovo makes their educational laptop in a wide variety of CPU options, from Atom to Celeron to i5, and also AMD.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I bought the XPS 13 yesterday and it was delivered this morning which is neat. Any suggestions for cases or sleeves to protect it? I got the accidental throw-it-in-a-lake warranty from microsoft.com so maybe I don't need to protect it...

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

black.lion posted:

I bought the XPS 13 yesterday and it was delivered this morning which is neat. Any suggestions for cases or sleeves to protect it? I got the accidental throw-it-in-a-lake warranty from microsoft.com so maybe I don't need to protect it...

Yeah if you have MS protect don't case it up IMO. Would kind of ruin the point of getting such a slim ultrabook.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

black.lion posted:

I just buy the cheap Amazon Basics sleeves. It's useful for when you throw it in your backpack and don't want unnecessary scratches.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yeah I mean I'll prob get a zipper-y sleeve just for when its in my bag because there's no padding or laptop sleeve/area built into the bag, but then let it be in the raw when I'm using it.

Does anyone sell those neat vinyl silhouette decorative things for the XPS line like macs sometimes have? What with a thug snow white holding the mac apple etc.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Not that I know of. DBrand sells some good skins though. https://dbrand.com/shop/dell-xps-13

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yea, you definitely want to keep it in something so it doesn't get all scratched up.

black.lion posted:

Does anyone sell those neat vinyl silhouette decorative things for the XPS line like macs sometimes have? What with a thug snow white holding the mac apple etc.

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/dell-xps-13-laptop-skins

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

These skins are for sure not going to leave gross booger residue if I remove them eventually right? I def like the idea of protecting it from scratches and fingerprints if only to protect resale value in a few years, but I'm not great at applying these sorts of things myself without them being crooked.

e: And if I have a touch screen, do I want a screen protector of some sort?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hadlock posted:

Huh, the X205 has been replaced by the "E200-HA"
Good lord, again with the 2GB ram. Even at an extra $100 for 4GB, I could be recommending something like this left and right. But somehow enough ram to comfortably browse the internet is upmarket. Much like FHD screens, apparently.

Is this all due to the cheaper Windows license for underspecced machines or something?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Huh, the X205 has been replaced by the "E200-HA"... because apparently the X205 had too well known of a name, so they went and completely changed it...

I have not put my hands on this one but it looks like it's a completely new chassis, so no idea if it has the same quality screen or keyboard as the venerable X205.

Apparently it has a 17% larger trackpad though, which is nice. The old trackpad was already pretty large.

I feel like they missed an opportunity by not bumping the eMMC to 64GB. What does that change add to the bill of materials anyway, like $5? 32GB means that after you install Windows 10 you can only fit about 10GB more before the system disk becomes too full to install the full-image updates without external storage. This could be blamed on Microsoft, but I don't think I can fault them that much considering that 32GB system disks were small 10 years ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently you can order them with 64 and 128gb eMMC, but they're probably rarer than hen's teeth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also, Amazon Basics has a pretty great laptop sleeve, it's wool, has a leather square with their logo on it, and enough pockets for a couple of dongles and cables etc. They're like $9-11 with prime shipping and come in two shades of gray. They're clearly designed for the 13" rMBP, but will swallow a slightly larger windows laptop. I got mine about a month ago and it goes with me on the train daily, I've been pretty happy with it.

I've not seen the need for a permanent case, if you buy the right laptop you shouldn't need one, IMO.

Sleeves are good to keep random bag dust and grit off/out of your laptop, and prevent things like a metal spiral notebook from grinding at your laptop's finish.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up ordering a new XPS 13 from the Microsoft store.
As an aside, the old one's still running, despite having sat in a puddle for a couple of hours. The screen suffered some pretty significant damage though, so I might end up using it as an HTPC.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I wound up going with the HP Stream 11 because of the cheapness of what I found. Under 200 bucks with shipping was the goal, and that was met. Thanks for the suggestions though because now I can feel like I did my due diligence.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Eletriarnation posted:

I feel like they missed an opportunity by not bumping the eMMC to 64GB. What does that change add to the bill of materials anyway, like $5? 32GB means that after you install Windows 10 you can only fit about 10GB more before the system disk becomes too full to install the full-image updates without external storage. This could be blamed on Microsoft, but I don't think I can fault them that much considering that 32GB system disks were small 10 years ago.

I'm amusing non user upgradeable ram too?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingEup posted:

You likely assume correct :v:. If they wont let you fiddle with the drive, I doubt they'd leave the RAM as a SODIMM when they can integrate that too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

All Atom stuff is sytem on a chip now. It's going to look roughly like this, all in:

For scale, that thing marked usb 3.0 is probably about as wide as an actual usb port.

No user serviceable parts.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Has anyone done surgery on X230s or Lenovo products in general? I have a problem where my box's insides don't match its outsides so physical stuff doesn't work (power button and power cord connection ---- I've been using a dock to solve this) but everything else is still fine and dandy.

Full disclosure: I once found the page on Lenovo's site to buy replacement physical cases, but since then I have yet to find it again and holy god is it scary to try to do. Prod me further and tell me it's doable or tell me to just find a Lenovo certified shop to have them fix it. Thanks.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sager NP8657 is here, it owns. Farewell brave NP9150, you did me proud. An actual detailed effort post to follow in a few days.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

KingEup posted:

Well, any machine at this price point and size is probably not going to use SODIMMs and I don't really blame them for the 2GB of memory with an Atom proc because you're not likely to run anything intensive on it anyway, it's basically the same spec as a $200 Android tablet.

The X205 is worse than that though, it uses a 32-bit EFI and no matter what you do you can't run 64-bit code even though the processor supports it. It's true that anything running smoothly on an Atom probably has a 32-bit variant anyway, but I'm just baffled why they made the decision since presumably it would have been just as easy to use a 64-bit EFI. Maybe Microsoft makes the licenses cheaper for 32-bit only machines, I don't know.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 13, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

All Atom stuff is sytem on a chip now. It's going to look roughly like this, all in:

For scale, that thing marked usb 3.0 is probably about as wide as an actual usb port.

No user serviceable parts.

Yeah, here is a photo of the new retina Macbook's motherboard. This is the whole thing, the rest of the laptop is display and battery. The trackpad consumes more physical space than the "computer" part now. It wouldn't suprise me if they build the motherboard on the same production line as the iPhone 6 motherboard line.

They're not doing it to screw over consumers, it's just not practical to use full size SO-DIMMs in a case barely thick enough to hold it, you need surface mount parts. It's like the same reason why you can't upgrade the RAM on your smartphone. And generally people buying these smaller cellphone-like devices are buying them to meet a price point (like the guy above who wanted to spend $200 shipped) so they cut corners everywhere possible.

From iFixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+Macbook+2015+Teardown/39841

It's the green board on the right by the gold pieces in this photo:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Read the OP, didn't see anything wrong with this....so, here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3772072

Maxed out current gen rMBP (15") up for sale. This Dell XPS I replaced it with better not poo poo the bed.

Buy it, goon.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

hotsauce posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3772072

Maxed out current gen rMBP (15") up for sale. This Dell XPS I replaced it with better not poo poo the bed.

Your URL is broken, hotsauce:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772072

Regarding laptop sleeves/protectors, I bought this carrying case for my new work laptop and have no regrets:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

:ohdear: Thanks. Me no internet gud.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

What do you think of your XPS vs your rMBP? That's pretty much the two laptops I'm deciding between getting

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Please help me buy a new laptop, goons.

I have a 4 year old Acer Aspire with an Intel Core i5-3210M, 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

Honestly, the performance is fine, I don't need more than this. I've had no problems with it until now: the case is breaking. I'd love to patch it up with some duct tape and go on living my life but I don't think that would work. It's also been starting to overheat more often.

So I'm looking for a new laptop. I'm in Canada, I want a 14-16" screen, I want at least 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD and I want CPU performance that is not worse than what I have. I'd like to pay under $600 CAD.

I've had bad experiences with Lenovos so those are not an option. I wouldn't mind getting another Acer Aspire.

Any recommendations?

The best deals I've been able to find are on the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-F-15-F5-571T-569T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.329219500

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-572TG-775T-Signature-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.831700000 (out of my price range but it looks kinda amazing?)

Suggestions?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

toe knee hand posted:

Please help me buy a new laptop, goons.

I have a 4 year old Acer Aspire with an Intel Core i5-3210M, 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

Honestly, the performance is fine, I don't need more than this. I've had no problems with it until now: the case is breaking. I'd love to patch it up with some duct tape and go on living my life but I don't think that would work. It's also been starting to overheat more often.

So I'm looking for a new laptop. I'm in Canada, I want a 14-16" screen, I want at least 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD and I want CPU performance that is not worse than what I have. I'd like to pay under $600 CAD.

I've had bad experiences with Lenovos so those are not an option. I wouldn't mind getting another Acer Aspire.

Any recommendations?

The best deals I've been able to find are on the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-F-15-F5-571T-569T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.329219500

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-572TG-775T-Signature-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.831700000 (out of my price range but it looks kinda amazing?)

Suggestions?

You won't find anything good under 600, I've been looking and it doesn't exist right now in Canada. Even in the used market

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Right, but I don't really need good. Performance-wise, this 4 year old one that cost I think £399 (I was in the UK at the time) is still pretty good. It is simply developing structural issues and will need to be replaced soon. The first one I linked is $449 and looks fine. Is it fine?

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I wouldn't mention it normally but since you specifically said you don't want CPU performance to get worse, it probably will if you get that (by a little bit). The 4210U is a generation newer but it's a 15W processor instead of 35W and won't clock up nearly as high as what you have now. That system seems alright for the price, though. Graphics performance will probably be a bit better although it might also be affected by the power target.

The second is a hell of lot better but you probably figured that. Many people would probably recommend that you get something other than an Acer if you're going to spend that much for build quality reasons, but if you like them then the specs seem appropriate for the price - maybe even a good deal.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Eletriarnation posted:

I wouldn't mention it normally but since you specifically said you don't want CPU performance to get worse, it probably will if you get that (by a little bit). The 4210U is a generation newer but it's a 15W processor instead of 35W and won't clock up nearly as high as what you have now. That system seems alright for the price, though. Graphics performance will probably be a bit better although it might also be affected by the power target.

The second is a hell of lot better but you probably figured that. Many people would probably recommend that you get something other than an Acer if you're going to spend that much for build quality reasons, but if you like them then the specs seem appropriate for the price - maybe even a good deal.

So before this it was always some hardware going that marked the end of my laptops - with the one I have it's the case that's breaking. Is that what you mean when you say build quality?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SRF posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up ordering a new XPS 13 from the Microsoft store.
As an aside, the old one's still running, despite having sat in a puddle for a couple of hours. The screen suffered some pretty significant damage though, so I might end up using it as an HTPC.

Replacement displays are only about $200, you should be able to flip it for most of what you paid for it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Is there any reason why T440p laptops should be under 500 used? Aren't they literally last year's model?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

toe knee hand posted:

So before this it was always some hardware going that marked the end of my laptops - with the one I have it's the case that's breaking. Is that what you mean when you say build quality?

Yes, if you're finding that it's just falling apart despite not really being ill-treated that tends to be associated with lower-end models and budget brands. Acer is definitely a budget brand, although I haven't ever personally had one so I don't have any bad associations. Poor build quality tends to go with cutting corners on the part selection too though, so depending on the nature of your previous laptops' failure it might not be as different as you think. Depends on whether you mean "worked great until the hard drive died after 7 years and I decided I might as well get a new one" or "the screen failed 2 months after the warranty expired."

The case falling apart in particular is a lot less of an issue on machines that are high end enough to have a metal unibody instead of being bolted-together plastic.

Wickerman posted:

Is there any reason why T440p laptops should be under 500 used? Aren't they literally last year's model?

Two years ago kind of, T460p just came out.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wickerman posted:

T460s are $670 new if you shop around, a two year old mid-high end laptop is going to drop at least $170 over that time, right?

Businesses buy laptops, or lease them, then they get unloaded on the refurb market, which is flooded. Refurb'd thinkpads are the best deal going, unless you absolutely need the 15 hours of battery life avalible in the latest models, since raw CPU power hasn't changed in about 4 years.

The OP even suggests a used/refurb laptop if you're in the 200-300 range. Shouldn't come as a surprise.