Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Didn't Kibler tell a judge he was going to bathroom while his Eggs opponent kept going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I played against an Eggs player once. The FBI still haven't found the body.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Some Numbers posted:

Didn't Kibler tell a judge he was going to bathroom while his Eggs opponent kept going?
he joked about it in the first vid I posted, but unfortunately Kibler's interaction is still needed because he has to cut after every ghost quarter/flooded strand/tarn sacrifice. As such he couldn't hit the can without incurring a slow play infraction.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sestze posted:

he joked about it in the first vid I posted, but unfortunately Kibler's interaction is still needed because he has to cut after every ghost quarter/flooded strand/tarn sacrifice. As such he couldn't hit the can without incurring a slow play infraction.

I could swear I heard a story where some player got the okay from a judge to take a leak while his opponent kept comboing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

e: wrong thread!

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 12, 2016

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I could swear I heard a story where some player got the okay from a judge to take a leak while his opponent kept comboing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPM2d1q3-Gc&t=1520s

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I would be very curious to see how Homestuck evolved in Hussie's mind. There's clearly some stuff that was planned and some stuff that very much wasn't, and also I suspect a lot of stuff that ended up taking a lot more time and panels than he expected.

Bud, I feel you, but at the same time, this si the wrong thread for that.

It's all anecdotes, bad card evaluation, bragging and salt in this thread.

Speaking of which, I think Vampires will be a real deck this standard, on the backs of an army of life-linking vampires. I feel like it has been a while since we have had instant speed, repeatable token generation that gains you life Mastery of the Unseen.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I would be very curious to see how Homestuck evolved in Hussie's mind. There's clearly some stuff that was planned and some stuff that very much wasn't, and also I suspect a lot of stuff that ended up taking a lot more time and panels than he expected.

I would be very curious as well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sestze posted:

Is the cut required by rule? I've never thought twice about an opponent refusing to cut or even doing it myself sometimes in limited.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Is the cut required by rule? I've never thought twice about an opponent refusing to cut or even doing it myself sometimes in limited.

In competitive REL, yes.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sestze posted:

There was a loop with a non-zero percentage chance to fail that became small yet everpresent as the combo continued on. It required constant interaction with your opponent (shuffling away copies of second sunrise/faith's reward), and was almost impossible to disrupt post sideboard. Turns could take 20-30 minutes for the combo to go off and the established kill was either grapeshot (i have tracked that I played 30 or 40 spells up to this point, so you're dead), or the default win condition of pyrite spellbomb (eat 2 damage per loop completion).

Lists often ran Banefire as opposed to Grapeshot since eggs was often able to generate 20-30 mana easy with Blooms and didn't rely on looping 20 spells (which, granted, wasn't too hard).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I will probably try to make Call the Bloodline+Sanitarium Skeleton work, at some point.

Gensuki posted:

Bud, I feel you, but at the same time, this si the wrong thread for that.

It's all anecdotes, bad card evaluation, bragging and salt in this thread.
Haha drat the hazards of multi-tabbing.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Probably just got confused by the Eggs talk, since that's also too long and has lots of loops.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

In competitive REL, yes.

Probably should have figured. I'm sure the pros realize it makes no difference and yet do it every time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lawnie posted:

Probably should have figured. I'm sure the pros realize it makes no difference and yet do it every time.

Lots of people get really weird with superstitions of chance. I've had people angry at me that I just want to do a basic odds/evens roll of a die while they want the "high roll." Even though practically every other game starts with a coin toss.

People think they have their fate in their hands if they get to touch the object that is variable I guess?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Telex posted:

You should pick up the SoI intro deck for Black and/or Green (Black is Black/Red, Green is Green/Black, i personally think the Green one looks more fun but Black has Vampires so there's that)

Don't listen to the Commander suggestion, it is horrible for a new person to try to figure out what the gently caress all the different things in the last 20 years are on these cards, plus you don't get to know much of anything in the normal game's format. You will probably be only interested in playing Standard until you get the game figured out, and to that maybe only even sealed/draft events if you do anything organized.

The intro decks are cheap, not bad at all, and tend to come with a little synergy that can be expanded on if you get something fun in the bonus packs in the decks. They are a very, very, good way to learn the game from nothing. My girlfriend was completely uninterested in going further than the intro decks, but she at least knew enough to be able to play at a reasonable competency level and beat me two out of three every time we tried.

We tried two Commander decks before that and we spent more time collectively looking at the cards and looking up rules and keyword interactions and all that nonsense. At least with an SoI only deck, you're going to only have to know 3 unusual mechanics and the sheet in the box tells you what to do.

Thanks for the advice. I've narrowed down the intro decks based on art and a very basic understanding of how the decks might play out. I think the bottom 4 look the coolest.

Grave Advantage
Cruel Plots
Demonic Deals
Ultimate Sacrifice
Swarming Instinct
Eldrazi Assault
Ghostly Tide
Horrific Visions

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chill la Chill posted:

Lots of people get really weird with superstitions of chance. I've had people angry at me that I just want to do a basic odds/evens roll of a die while they want the "high roll." Even though practically every other game starts with a coin toss.

People think they have their fate in their hands if they get to touch the object that is variable I guess?

Every time someone new shows up at my LGS they get all weird when I actually shuffle their deck instead of just cutting it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Cernunnos posted:

Every time someone new shows up at my LGS they get all weird when I actually shuffle their deck instead of just cutting it.

My pimped out legacy deck costs more than your car, don't touch it pleb :smuggo:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Lawnie posted:

It's more that presenting your deck to be cut implicitly states "I have sufficiently randomized my deck" and your opponent confirms it. There have been a number of notorious cheats that "shuffle" cards into specific positions and then "forget" to present their decks. Cutting the deck isn't about making things more random, but allowing your opponent to verify that you haven't been cheating.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

In competitive REL, yes.

Isn't it only at professional?

Molybdenum posted:

My pimped out legacy deck costs more than your car, don't touch it pleb :smuggo:

Unironically this.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

suicidesteve posted:

Isn't it only at professional?

Nope, Competitive and up. Relevant excerpt from the Magic Tournament Rules:

MTR 3.9 posted:

At Competitive and Professional REL tournaments, players are required to shuffle their opponents’ decks after their owners have shuffled them. The Head Judge can require this at Regular REL tournaments as well.

The only real difference in rules left between Competitive and Professional REL is that spectators can't stop matches at Professional to call a judge.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
IIRC the Judge was allowed to cut the opponents deck in lieu of Kibler while he went to the bathroom.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Avancyn is 40 bucks. I am glad I don't want to play her at all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

E4C85D38 posted:

Nope, Competitive and up. Relevant excerpt from the Magic Tournament Rules:

The only real difference in rules left between Competitive and Professional REL is that spectators can't stop matches at Professional to call a judge.

"Players must shuffle their opponent's deck" must be up there in the running for most ignored rule. They should just change it to "must cut" because that's how it's done most of the time. I also roll my eyes when someone shuffles my deck at Regular REL.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BJPaskoff posted:

"Players must shuffle their opponent's deck" must be up there in the running for most ignored rule. They should just change it to "must cut" because that's how it's done most of the time. I also roll my eyes when someone shuffles my deck at Regular REL.

Had a guy grab and shuffle my deck at FNM once, he split two sleeves over the course of the match, and of course I had no extras :mad:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Cactrot posted:

Had a guy grab and shuffle my deck at FNM once, he split two sleeves over the course of the match, and of course I had no extras :mad:

He damaged your property would he be liable to replace them? Also if because of that and you had to resleeve the whole deck because you now have marked cards are you the one who is in trouble for delaying the game or are you supposed to remove a sleeve from a sideboard card? I know that was a real issue in other games which caused people to cut decks but not shuffle.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's FNM so there are no consequences even for marked sleeves.

I shuffle for regular rel games but not for funsies ones and usually only at the beginning of a game because my opponents love to pile shuffle every time. I usually won't after a fetch or whatever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I shuffle against any grumpy overly serious spike I play at regular REL to tilt them as much as possible and because they are the #1 group of people I suspect as potential cheaters. People who knock my deck are overly generous, however. Even if I accidentally saw a card on top or bottom and assumed it would get cut away, you have to cover your rear end on that one, opponent.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I shuffle against any grumpy overly serious spike I play at regular REL to tilt them as much as possible and because they are the #1 group of people I suspect as potential cheaters. People who knock my deck are overly generous, however. Even if I accidentally saw a card on top or bottom and assumed it would get cut away, you have to cover your rear end on that one, opponent.

Well if you know your top/bottom card your deck is hardly sufficiently randomized is it?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

BJPaskoff posted:

Everyone would have all the mandatory upgraded game losses if a cut didn't count in practice as a shuffle. The rules distinction between a 'shuffle' and a 'cut' is more or less long gone, so I'm guessing everybody doing policy has just decided that the deck is in a randomized state upon presentation, and you're taking an action that puts it in a randomized state, so I guess you can call that a shuffle. Just knocking a deck is probably what it's meant to discourage, and since there's no penalty for doing so all that's going to get you is a quick "hey, from now on, can you just cut your opponent's deck for me? Thanks."

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 13, 2016

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

odiv posted:

drat I wish Thing in the Ice survived a Languish. Though that's probably exactly why it doesn't.

Amen, and yep.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Well if you know your top/bottom card your deck is hardly sufficiently randomized is it?

I literally can't remember the last time this happened to me but I'm sure it does to anyone from time to time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's FNM so there are no consequences even for marked sleeves.

I shuffle for regular rel games but not for funsies ones and usually only at the beginning of a game because my opponents love to pile shuffle every time. I usually won't after a fetch or whatever.
I shuffle their deck while telling them about why piles aren't actually a shuffle and how fast, easy, and effective a few quick riffles can be, usually ended with "doing a proper shuffle didn't take long enough to get into the math, but if you like we can chat after the match." It's been pretty effective for breaking newbies and more chill people of the habit but the pro tour wannabe club are also hardcore magical thinkers so every now and then I have to put up with piles, flicking the cards in their hand, and whatever other neurosis-du-jour has been picked up from the last SCG/PTQ feature match. Fortunately those types don't show up very often, or at least figure out how to knock it off quickly.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Avancyn is 40 bucks. I am glad I don't want to play her at all.

I would really like another to make my Bant Company deck.

Oh and 4 Jace

And 4 Sylvan Advocate

And some Den Protectors

gently caress I hate money

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

I would really like another to make my Bant Company deck.

Oh and 4 Jace

And 4 Sylvan Advocate

And some Den Protectors

gently caress I hate money

Do not play 4 jace in bant company.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I always pile shuffle before a game just to make sure I'm not missing any cards. That's the only advantage to pile shuffling.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it true that someone won a major tournament with draagonstorm but no dragons?

Blazing Shoal Infect ran Dragonstorm without any Dragons (because Blasphemous Act hadn't come out yet when Blazing Shoal was still Modern-legal).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Abhorrence posted:

I always pile shuffle before a game just to make sure I'm not missing any cards. That's the only advantage to pile shuffling.

Oh my god you can't do that think of all the time your waste every time it's literally seconds of your life :goonsay:

I do this too. After I shuffle normally.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Do not play 4 jace in bant company.

Thank god, I didn't plan on spending 300 bucks on them. I think 2 could be nice though to smooth things out.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Abhorrence posted:

the other cool bit about pile shuffling is that if you see someone mana-weave in mostly casual game and they present their deck to you, you can do a special pile shuffle to send all of their lands to the bottom of the deck.

• Locked thread