Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
Abyss Watchers. What a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

So uh my character has red scars where her eyes used to be and looks pickled what did I do

did you maybe take someone's very generous offer

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Picked Knight as my starting class for the stats and the longsword, took off the chest armor and helmet to go full roll. That's my suggestion to anyone who wants a nice easy start to the game.

Also, I love that when I get summoned to help with a boss, when I succeed I become a unhollowed AND I get an Ember in my inventory.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

lets hang out posted:

did you maybe take someone's very generous offer

shiiiit

eta How do I get rid of it I am hideous

mrs. nicholas sarkozy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 13, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nuggan posted:

Hahaha I like how you join the mound makers.

Yeah I love that too. Just walk up to one of the plank-back enemies, only he's got a cage on his back. And instead of fighting him just hop into his cage because doing that makes sense. Works out though so... (note: only works this way if you haven't broken the tree's balls)

Also...I think I found out what happens if you get the free levels from pilgrim-turtle dude. If I'm guessing the event triggers right you can get up to 5 levels from him (5 dark signs), and someone who's looked up a guide told me you get them by dying. Die more, get more free levels. Take all five and then check back on him later and he'll have finally gotten his wish and died. All that's left is his pilgrim turtle rock sitting there...oh and a brand new NPC lady from Lordran. She thanks you for helping turtle dude and sells some sorceries and a book that teaches the blind cleric girl a few hexes.

Oh, and where can I finally find lightning spear? I'd love an offensive miracle.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

So uh my character has red scars where her eyes used to be and looks pickled what did I do

You took candy from the man in black, didn't ya?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Day Man posted:

Don't get hit.

That's really hard when the stupid pillars keep loving up my camera and make me face the wrong way.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
What are the pro camera option settings? Still turn off auto recovery? What about manual aiming? Used to do all that with 1 and 2.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a way to limit FPS to 30 on PC? I've got a 1440p 28" monitor, so having to stretch the resolution always hurts the visuals beyond just the fall in resolution. (Playing on my 1080p 60" TV, it looks fantastic.) I've got a 970, I was hoping that'd be enough, but not quite; I average around 45fps. On some games this is fine, but with DS3 is makes things choppy. I figure if I can cap 30fps, it'll be a lot better.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just got to Farron Keep this game owns. I'm exploring pretty thoroughly and still missing entire bosses and covenenants.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

That's really hard when the stupid pillars keep loving up my camera and make me face the wrong way.

You can turn that off in the settings

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Eastdrom posted:

Just shoot him with a bow from outside the door, if he gets too close back up a bit, rinse and re-do

This game is the best. I killed the blue covenant lady in the church and this giant quadrupedal knight turned up and one hits me every time, anyone knocked this guy off successfully?

That's a fairly late-game boss, you'll need to beat it eventually, but wayyy later.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
5 invasions, 4 connection errors. These are some quality servers.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I love that too. Just walk up to one of the plank-back enemies, only he's got a cage on his back. And instead of fighting him just hop into his cage because doing that makes sense. Works out though so... (note: only works this way if you haven't broken the tree's balls)

Also...I think I found out what happens if you get the free levels from pilgrim-turtle dude. If I'm guessing the event triggers right you can get up to 5 levels from him (5 dark signs), and someone who's looked up a guide told me you get them by dying. Die more, get more free levels. Take all five and then check back on him later and he'll have finally gotten his wish and died. All that's left is his pilgrim turtle rock sitting there...oh and a brand new NPC lady from Lordran. She thanks you for helping turtle dude and sells some sorceries and a book that teaches the blind cleric girl a few hexes.

Oh, and where can I finally find lightning spear? I'd love an offensive miracle.

lightning spear is at farron's keep.
specifically, you want to go to the bonfire with the giant wolf, which is up a long ladder, past the 3rd bonfire, the one that's close to the huge door. take the lift, up the stairs, and there's an opening to drop down onto a platform above where you got off the lift. follow the rest of the path, and you should find a dead dragon, with the miracle and a dragon crest shield nearby on the ground.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would be shocked if they are using dedicated servers in the way most people think of such.

In fact I would say it's probable they're using almost the exact same setup as DS2.

As an aside, so you know there are trainers out.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

People really should take my advice about that ice knight and give him a ride on the elevator. Easiest hard fight ever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

5 invasions, 4 connection errors. These are some quality servers.

I was going co-op in some late game-ish area and easily 4/5 summons were failing constantly. Turning on cross-region helped a bit but it's still so bad that I'm thinking of just starting a new character for a while.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you mean "Unable to Summon Phantom", that's usually "I got summoned already."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lmao got an invasion with a blue sentinel that had no animations. He just glided around in a T positon, effectively making it impossible to fight him.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So apparently the game has a password system where if you and someone else are using the same password you can summon each other, regardless of the level difference. Have we set up one of those for the steam group or are things not that organized yet?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And that's how you know it's p2p.

(I joke, but...)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo I beat Cathedral of the Deep and now I don't know where to go.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

codo27 posted:

You can turn that off in the settings

Haha, beat him on the first try after that! Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize that's what that stupid setting does.

This forest is freaky. One thing that's bothered me thus far... playing as an Assassin, but I have yet to find any light armor that's even remotely better/more efficient than the starter set...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grem posted:

People really should take my advice about that ice knight and give him a ride on the elevator. Easiest hard fight ever.

It's always strange how different enemies are massive roadblocks for different people. I killed the Frost Knight first time after taking a total of one attack's worth of damage, but I've been absolutely murdered by those loving giganto crabs over and over and over.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

man nurse posted:

go back to the swamp, take a ladder down into another swamp, do stuff there

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Am I the only one with the overheating issue? I ran Witcher 3 on high with no issues, this shouldn't be happening!

i saw your post from pages back and yes this game is cooking my GPU up real good

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

man nurse posted:

go find/beat the abyss watchers. progress is through the catacombs, and the entrance to it is in their boss room.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It took ten minutes for that gallant host and his three mighty summons to leave the saferoom they were camping out against my lone SL15 invader and move through the 100% cleared zone into the boss fog.

Bring a book if you're invading.

e: and talk with NPCs and listen to them, you learn where to go that way, even DS1 did that

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God drat are enemies aggressive this time around. Those knights don't stop won't stop swing that sword. I've gone from armored knight to Karl the Homicidal Chippendale Stripper just to roll better.

I haven't really seen any sunbro signs along my way except for the earliest areas, I am kind of surprised.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Specto posted:

lightning spear is at farron's keep.
specifically, you want to go to the bonfire with the giant wolf, which is up a long ladder, past the 3rd bonfire, the one that's close to the huge door. take the lift, up the stairs, and there's an opening to drop down onto a platform above where you got off the lift. follow the rest of the path, and you should find a dead dragon, with the miracle and a dragon crest shield nearby on the ground.

Ah, had already found that area but hadn't looked around. I'll go back and check.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Vermain posted:

It's always strange how different enemies are massive roadblocks for different people. I killed the Frost Knight first time after taking a total of one attack's worth of damage, but I've been absolutely murdered by those loving giganto crabs over and over and over.

Word, I breeze through most bosses but any double knife having jackasses just wreck my poo poo for no real reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrLonghair posted:

It took ten minutes for that gallant host and his three mighty summons to leave the saferoom they were camping out against my lone SL15 invader and move through the 100% cleared zone into the boss fog.

Bring a book if you're invading.

I don't think I'm going to bother. They were all 3v1s, which is fine, but drat if I can't figure out how to land a blow if they don't want you to.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this game is so drat fun

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Specto posted:

go find/beat the abyss watchers. progress is through the catacombs, and the entrance to it is in their boss room.

More specifics? I'm not sure what catacombs or what swamp the other poster was referring to. As far as I can tell I've combed every available area in the game, so I'm obviously missing something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Invasions loving suck right now. Half the time, you get in and the host either goes right into the boss or the connection dies. Then when you get one its almost always a guy with at least one phantom and then a blue boy shows up and they refuse to budge an inch. I guess you just have to spec for a big sweeping weapon to actually stagger multiple foes cause otherwise as soon as you hit one you just get smacked by another and its a beat down.

FEH

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's been a long time since I've played Demon's Souls, but did you get notified when you were invaded in that one, or did it start with DS1? It'd be stupid to split the playerbase of a game like this, but I think a Dark Souls hardcore mode would be kind of neat, where you don't know you've been invaded until you see the red phantom bearing down on you.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I found a super-easy way to beat Katanaman if anyone is still having trouble with him. Bait him down the stairs, then roll past him up them and head to the left (the side furthest from the cliff). There's a little alcove there, and he'll just walk into it and start swinging his katana at nothing. Do a plunging attack, take off 1/3rd of his health, then roll up the stairs and do it again. This finally worked for me after a half-dozen attempts to kick him off the cliff.

Game is loving amazing, by the way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
should I infuse the uchigatana

I have raw (which seems bad), fire, and refined as options

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
out of those, I was thinking refined, and it would balance str & dex, which Im trying to do for my first character anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright, lag is occasionally bad but having the entire enemy party not animate at all is a special kind of hell.