Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Lex read the script. That explains why he bombed congress and knew Superman wouldn't stop it, it's why he knew Superman wouldn't use his super powers to defeat 6 inept guards, and how he knew his monster wouldn't destroy the planet.

This also explains why he knew he was the villain and forewent any motivation and just showed up to make villainy happen so they could hurriedly get to the next setpiece.

Except the draft he read hadn't changed his name from Joker to Lex yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What if Lex Jr is actually the Joker and the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad is actually Lex Jr who was kidnapped and tortured till crazy by the Joker? It would make Lex's actions in BvS less stupid by virtue of "a crazy man did it" and explain SS Joker's horrendous tattoos.

What if I'm right? BvS would still be a terrible movie, that's what.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

whatever7 posted:

Except the draft he read hadn't changed his name from Joker to Lex yet.

He's not going to kill this movie. He's just gonna hurt it, really really bad.

naem
May 29, 2011

many johnnys posted:

He's not going to kill this movie. He's just gonna hurt it, really really bad.

:stare:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

the quote actually works better re: jared leto, who is talking to his career tied to a chair

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[Jared Leto Joker torturing a guy]

"Wanna know why I got these tattoos?"

[smash cut to joker outside a tattoo parlor]

"Neat."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Wonder Woman, Flash, and pretty much any god tier X-man have changed how powerful they are based on the writer.

There's that one comic where Flash saves a town from a nuke and the math breaks down to him having to travel like 20,000 times the speed of light.

And in some X-men comics Xavier, Phoenix, and Magneto could literally kill the entire planet minimal effort.

If you're going to do the living god Wonder Woman, just having her fight regular dudes will be boring and there needs to be a threat where she uses her powers for more than just punching the problem. You know, compelling poo poo that you won't find in the Snyderverse.

Doesn't Wolverine regenerate from a single cell at one point?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

FogHelmut posted:

I think they explained his more crazy healings as being because he was under the magical protection of a magical samurai.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I saw the new Suicide Squad trailer- it feels like they've been advertising this movie forever and it's driving me insane.

But the trailer starts with a bunch of generals/spies sitting around saying "what if Superman flew here right now, ripped off the roof of the White House, and kidnapped the President? We couldn't stop him."

Wasn't that Lex's whole point for like the first half of BvS, that Holly Hunter decided was ridiculous and no anti-Superman weapons were needed?

And what the gently caress is the Suicide Squad going to do against Superman? Hey Deadshot, see how many bullets you can plink off Superman's skin!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

I think they explained his more crazy healings as being because he was under the magical protection of a magical samurai.

In the cartoon he was like a skeleton in a vat and regenerated from that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Deadpool's regeneration is actually better only because even if you permakill him to the cell, death likes him and chucks him back anyway which I thought was kind of funny.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Deadpool's regeneration is actually better only because even if you permakill him to the cell, death likes him and chucks him back anyway which I thought was kind of funny.
That and Thanos made him immortal because he was jealous

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

he gets cut up a lot fighting, then why doesn't wolverienes blood regenerate into millions of clones?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

he gets cut up a lot fighting, then why doesn't wolverienes blood regenerate into millions of clones?

Just another case for Intelligent Design

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Leto has a good Joker laugh.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I hate is people complain that critics don't like dark movies, just fun Marvel flicks. But why does that explain that the Dark Knight and Days of Future Past being popular?

However, BvS has no substantive character scenes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvqAfXyDcQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LsBMA-rKg

I can't imagine any scenes with such meaning or passion in a Snyder Justice League film.

Also the interrogation scene in TDK points out how absurd that Batman is a guy in a costume beating up people and that maybe it's not something to take so seriously.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

Also the interrogation scene in TDK points out how absurd that Batman is a guy in a costume beating up people and that maybe it's not something to take so seriously.

http://youtu.be/w2yv8aT0UFc

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nirvikalpa posted:

One thing I hate is people complain that critics don't like dark movies, just fun Marvel flicks. But why does that explain that the Dark Knight and Days of Future Past being popular?

CineD thinks Chris Nolan is an obscure arthouse director that only they've heard of. It's the only thing that explains the threads about his movies.

"Inception is such a brilliant film for smart geniuses like me. There's no way any normie could figure out what's going on in this crazy intense plot."

[movie is in the box office top 30]

"People only hate BvS because they're Marvel fanboys."

[Two Batman films are critical darlings in the box office top 10]

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Even if you accept the dour tone, murderous Batman and dickhead Superman the editing in this movie is loving awful.

I was hoping the DC would fix some of that but I'm having my doubts

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

Even if you accept the dour tone, murderous Batman and dickhead Superman the editing in this movie is loving awful.

It's bad on basically every conceivable level

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

big black turnout posted:

don't be so negative

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nirvikalpa posted:

However, BvS has no substantive character scenes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvqAfXyDcQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LsBMA-rKg

I can't imagine any scenes with such meaning or passion in a Snyder Justice League film.

Why is it that DC seems obssessed with the idea Batman is in fact bad and that Bruce is in the wrong for creating the persona

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yaws posted:

dickhead Superman

We need more golden age dickhead Superman.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

big black turnout posted:

wow can't believe you're literally saying that only fun marvelmovies are good and deliberately ignoring everything good in bvs

just...wow

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone astounded by the fact that children's cartoons handle the idea of dark Superman better? I've been watching Young Justice and Justice League and both don't have Superman as goody two shoes, but he is still miles better than Snyder's Superman. Why?

Yaws posted:

Just curious, why exactly is the editing so bad? Could you give examples? I know that Perry White complaining about Clark being in Kansas and then jumping to a random character is an egregious example.

achillesforever6 posted:

Why is it that DC seems obssessed with the idea Batman is in fact bad and that Bruce is in the wrong for creating the persona

I don't think the point is that Batman is bad, just that it's weird/strange.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
batman goes to war with superman because he wont stop smackin' dame's butts all over town.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

achillesforever6 posted:

DC doesn't hold up Bruce as being wrong for creating Batman. These days it is portrayed as Bruce being Batman's alter ego. Also his parents are dead did he mention it yet?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's actually pretty good opie. I'm sorry you didn't like it, and wish you all the best in movie watching in the future.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nirvikalpa posted:

Is anyone astounded by the fact that children's cartoons handle the idea of dark Superman better? I've been watching Young Justice and Justice League and both don't have Superman as goody two shoes, but he is still miles better than Snyder's Superman. Why?

Because in cartoons, you're supposed to make something that's entertaining and has a reasonably tight narrative. You can't just dump two and half hours of brown music videos and jesus metaphors on Cartoon Network

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nirvikalpa posted:

Just curious, why exactly is the editing so bad? Could you give examples? I know that Perry White complaining about Clark being in Kansas and then jumping to a random character is an egregious example.

Another example is a lot of the WW/secret videos sub-plot. It doesn't gel with any of the other plots, and the kinda climax of that whole story (WW watching some dumb youtube clips) gets jammed right before the climatic BvS fight. Even with all the ominous music piped over it, the scene comes off as comical and awkward at that point.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nirvikalpa posted:

In the DCAU Superman has:

- Angrily killed Darkseid by blowing him up alongside Brainiac and injured batman when he tried to stop this.
- Killed the president and overthrown all of the world's government's with his pals (in a parallel universe admittedly, he also lobotomized most of the worlds supervillains).
- Openly flouted the authority of the united states multiple times to the benefit of himself and the Justice League to the point that the government starts to organize a secret program to combat the league when they notice a giant death ray was installed on the watchtower.
- Completely lost his poo poo against Mongul and entrapped him in a lotus eater state.
- Had his will taken over multiple times by various aliens and poo poo to wreck havok on earth.
- Come within a hairs width of killing Vandal Savage, Lex Luthor and Mongul when they really pressed him.
- Destroyed a city for low income people and got into a massive fight with Captain Marvel because he couldn't believe Lex Luthor would do something right for once.
- Melted Granny Goodness's brains.

And yet they still managed to make superman likable and relatable by not losing sight of his core good nature and showing realistic reasons for why he may do so unsavory things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black Bones posted:

It's actually pretty good opie. I'm sorry you didn't like it, and wish you all the best in movie watching in the future.

What the gently caress did you just say to me motherfucker?!??! :dogbutton:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Another example is a lot of the WW/secret videos sub-plot. It doesn't gel with any of the other plots, and the kinda climax of that whole story (WW watching some dumb youtube clips) gets jammed right before the climatic BvS fight. Even with all the ominous music piped over it, the scene comes off as comical and awkward at that point.

Yeah, like after a decade of superhero movies they still think we have to be convinced into accepting the cinematic possibility of superheroes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

achillesforever6 posted:

would you consider a rich 1%:er going out at night and assaulting and hospitalizing poors to be a bad thing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Read Irredeemable by Mark Waid. It's basically Superman throwing a bitch tantrum and killing everyone.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nirvikalpa posted:

A more general example- the day after I saw this movie I couldn't remember the order of a number of events. I can't remember when Luthor had the kryptonite relative to the wheelchair bomb. I can't remember when Luthor first got in to the Kryton ship vs. when he brought Zod there in comparison to almost anything else.

Now maybe I can't remember this because I was drunk? But I suspect it's because the movie just winds itself between scenes for no real purpose. We don't really notice it because we're used to how action movies are edited, and we expect a scene to be a few minutes, then we cut to another one. Scene with the heroes, scene with the villains. Scene with the villains, cut back to scene with supporting characters to set up some context. Context cuts back to heroes...etc etc etc. And in terms of timing the movie matches expectations, the rhythm of scene changes mostly matches with what we expect. However, there's no rhyme or reason to those decisions, so going back everything seems a mess of order.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Rutibex posted:

This is the plot of a Lobo run.

Lobo is p.cool and the only way to do a Wolverine kinda character right. Complete farce and parody.

SAlso Kevin Smith has backtracked HARD and now loves BvS even more. lol

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dr. Strange trailer looks... interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

ChogsEnhour posted:

SAlso Kevin Smith has backtracked HARD and now loves BvS even more. lol

haha ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a feeling DC suits don't actually read any comic and surround themselves with dumb rear end fanboys like Smith and Snyder.

• Locked thread