Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's like burgers in Europe before the artisanal burger places started opening up everyhwere - people really didn't understand how to make a good burger. Pulled pork in places where it doesn't originate from more often than not tends to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Palpek posted:

It's like burgers in Europe before the artisanal burger places started opening up everyhwere - people really didn't understand how to make a good burger. Pulled pork in places where it doesn't originate from more often than not tends to be bad.

Horse meat burgers don't sound too bad.

Better than Arby's gyros for sure.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

You had super crappy pulled pork. If your pulled pork is chewy, you have utterly failed as a restaurant, even more so if you drown it in sauce.

When done right, It should basically just be really super tender pork, with chunks of the spicy crust/bark mixed in, and a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce. It doesn't have to be BBQed, but it's like a million times better if it has that smoky flavor.

I think a lot of people think lean meat = good, so they take lean bits of pork and try and turn it into pulled pork. I think you want the fattier cuts, because that makes it nice and tender and juicy? Like how you want fatty ground beef for a good chilli.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pulled pork has been showing up in the UK everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsH5y0na5g

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Weird that something that is such a staple in the US is just now making it to Europe.

Pulled pork is amazing when done correctly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was ahead of the curve and have been making my own pulled pork for years.

The stuff most people make is terrible, by the way. Basically just sloppy joes with pork.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ranbo das posted:

Weird that something that is such a staple in the US is just now making it to Europe.

Pulled pork is amazing when done correctly.
I'm still waiting for Philly Cheesesteak to even get here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Palpek posted:

There's a sad excuse for the cheesesteak in certain chain pubs over here.

It's about as bad as you imagine.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Palpek posted:

Oh god I kinda want to see how they mangle the first cheesesteaks if people managed to gently caress up pulled pork.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How to properly make Pulled Pork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkYYYpqji4&t=355s (Audio)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I find pulled pork exists in some sort of quantum entangled state of both being trendy and cheap, here. Its both cheap American garbage when served with white bread and grocery store coleslaw but super trendy when done as sliders with kale slaw with an aioli made from local eggs.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Well, In Finland we have this thing called pulled oats.

"Pulled oats is a new kind of plant protein food that utilizes oats, fababeans and pea as protein sources. Light, cold summer nights and plenty of fresh showers make the Northern oats grow golden, rich and mellow. Oat and beans like each other already on the field, as every second year beans produce high amounts of nitrogen to the soil, and oats utilize it effectively the year after."

http://www.goldandgreenfoods.com

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Palpek posted:

I don't understand this burger trend. Like there's 3 "artisan" or whatever burger places within spitting distance of me, and one being built. Why is this necessary? What happens when the burger bubble bursts?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the British cheesesteak

Pity us.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Subway are the only place I've seen do a Philly Cheesesteak. I've never tried it because all that melted cheese and meat looks too much for my arteries to handle.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Subway are the only place I've seen do a Philly Cheesesteak. I've never tried it because all that melted cheese and meat looks too much for my arteries to handle.

This is true about legitimate Philly cheesesteaks too. As simple as it seems I've never seen any other city recreate it properly, so I'm sure these chain versions are awful.

Has any restaurant made a deconstructed cheesesteak?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've had the pleasure of trying an authentic philly cheesesteak and it's a good thing I don't live in America because I'd be 900lbs by now because I'd never stop eating them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was it from Pat's or Geno's? One is authentic the other is Heresy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh my

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Ddraig posted:

Pity us.

Those onion rings look worth the price of eating that sandwich.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

FetusSlapper posted:

Those onion rings look worth the price of eating that sandwich.

They look exactly like the frozen "beer-battered" onion rings where I work.

I'm having a hard time believing bacon sushi was ever a thing to be deconstructed in the first place.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

They don't understand Mexican food over here in England either. Everything must have japalenos and chilli powder in it. EVERYTHING. Burrito? Gotta be spicy as gently caress. Plain quesadilla? You betcha it's got chunks of jalapeno in it anyway.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KiteAuraan posted:

I am still pissed that kale got trendy and expensive. I used to be able to eat it all the time because it was loving cheap.

In the Netherlands Kale is called Boerenkool and has been something old people have been eating for a very long time, it's like the least trendy thing imaginable. But as always we're a couple years behind the US and now trendy foodie magazines are raving about Kale, but using the English word, because otherwise people would realize it's not a hip thing at all but the stuff your grandma eats but made into a loving smoothie.

Also nthing the pulled pork suddenly appearing everywhere now.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
I can back up that despite its popularity UK pulled pork is basically dental floss in bbq sauce. Pity us.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

egg_dog posted:

I can back up that despite its popularity UK pulled pork is basically dental floss in bbq sauce. Pity us.

If you have a Turtle Bay near where you are, the pulled pork there is pretty great.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Kale is just inferior collard greens.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've noticed a huge trend around here in the last few years to make a "Thai" menu item and it's basically just their chicken item with sweet chili sauce on it. Like, how loving fancy and authentic, you guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ddraig posted:

Pity us.

I lived in London for a year and I love just about everything about the City and England as a whole. But the entire country has a weird form of culinary Stockholm syndrome where they swear up and down that blood pudding and bland gravy are delicious. Then when I asked to go get delicious english food to prove me wrong, they took me to a kebab and gyro stand.

America will always be the greatest country on earth because it is the only place in the world where you can have the best Mexican restaurant in the world and less than 50 miles away you can also get this:

:911:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Yes pulled pork became trendy recently in Australia.

Also pork belly at about the same kind too, I think Masterchef had a lot to do with that.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Icedude posted:

They don't understand Mexican food over here in England either. Everything must have japalenos and chilli powder in it. EVERYTHING. Burrito? Gotta be spicy as gently caress. Plain quesadilla? You betcha it's got chunks of jalapeno in it anyway.

Lucky you. I don't bother with jalapeņos anymore since all the Burrito here in Dublin charge extra for them now.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I want to rage out about "bad pulled pork," but it's just one way of serving a protein. You can gently caress it up, sure, but if you try it the way it's meant to be done it's amazing.

e: Also, fwiw, my definition of both BBQ and pulled pork is "spicy-sweet red sauce with cole slaw and hush puppies," but that's poor food here, probably expensive food elsewhere.

RNG fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 13, 2016

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

just

pour your polenta out onto a slab of wood

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Yes pulled pork became trendy recently in Australia.

Also pork belly at about the same kind too, I think Masterchef had a lot to do with that.

Melbourne's current obsession with burgers and American BBQ is the worst food trend. All these tiny, overcrowded cafes charging $20 for a burger or a serve of fried chicken is so crazy to me. I saw a Domino's ad recently for 'pulled beef' pizza which makes me irrationally annoyed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:airquote:Superfoods:airquote: are bad enough on their own, but I came across a soap in a store that claimed to include stuff like chia seed and guarana. If they even have any effects whatsoever from being ingested (guarana might I guess if it's in Red Bull etc. but), they certainly won't just from being rubbed on your skin. :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pocket Billiards posted:

That one I have no problem with because it's delicious.

cyberia posted:

Melbourne's current obsession with burgers and American BBQ is the worst food trend.
I have had to eat so much garbage American food (and it's all garbage) in the last year or so, because it's suddenly ubiquitous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pork belly is loving garbage. It's like eating lard straight out of the tub. I went to an eight-course meal and two of the items had pork belly, I left that poo poo on the plate so they can throw it in the loving trash where it belongs.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

That one I have no problem with because it's delicious.

I have had to eat so much garbage American food (and it's all garbage) in the last year or so, because it's suddenly ubiquitous.

I don't mind that it's garbage food because sometimes you want garbage food but a friend took me to Misty's Diner and it was nearly $100 for the two of us which is fine-dining prices for what is essentially fast food. I don't understand why these places charge (and get away with charging) such high prices.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Well, to judge by the times I've been forced to endure it, they cook it till it's dry as dirt and coat it in some horrible sweet sauce. Is that right?

I know you're infamously weird/ignorant about food but I also know you're not American so: don't eat pulled pork or chicken that's made outside of the Americas we're the only ones who know what they're doing with it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Icedude posted:

Mexican in Germany is loving impossible, 90% of places are cocktail bars that serve nachos and chili, 90% of the rest are more tex-mex or steakhouses. There's some decent food to be had there at least but I've only ever found two places that really do Mexican, and they're both tiny hole-in-the-wall joints in Berlin.

And at least you get chili and jalapenos. The German way to do Mexican is "tomatoes, bell peppers, corn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Pork belly is loving garbage. It's like eating lard straight out of the tub. I went to an eight-course meal and two of the items had pork belly, I left that poo poo on the plate so they can throw it in the loving trash where it belongs.

Your posts are garbage

• Locked thread