Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I had good seats to a terrible game yesterday so I gave some sports photography a shot after reading through some of this thread. Getting separation between my subject and the crowd was drat near impossible, as least for the action shots, with my 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6. I did get a handful of acceptable shots including this one when on of the pro photographer's flash went off at just the right time.

Wizards vs 76ers-00696 by Ankur Patel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As usual the best part is the guy getting posterized.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Kevin Durant is a credentialed photographer for Super Bowl 50.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The jocks shooting the jocks who beat us up as kids.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Some more shootyhoops:

Yeah I know the last one missed focus. No I don't care :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

#4 throwing his hands up like "aww gently caress it..." is great

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

McLarenF1 posted:

Kevin Durant is a credentialed photographer for Super Bowl 50.

And this is the article: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-durant-super-bowl-50-photography/

I'm not particularly into the NFL, but I love to read about how the professional photographers do it during this event. How they plan it, what kind of equipment they use and experiments.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SportSJA/status/701843483590533120/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

holy poo poo :stare:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

:stare:

Makes this week's look like flowers:

With hot bonus Buzz action:

And finally, I have no idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The double chin on that guy holy moly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Sports Illustrated vault is back, and a ton of their great old photo work is among the articles.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
So I recently had another first: Texas Monthly had an article about the wrestling group I help cover and they wanted to use one of my photos for the article. Was a bit surprised by the image they wanted to use but hey... got paid for use of the image and attribution. I'm cool with that.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/party-world-rasslin-keeps-it-weird-in-austin/

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hello again thread! If you haven't already seen, this kid nearly getting his head taken off by a flying bat is a pretty wild photo: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/10100857-74/bat-ortiz-pirates

Speaking of baseball, I love it as a fan and also as a photographer, partly because the goofiness of the sport always finds new ways to make me laugh. Like this outtake of a pitcher from yesterday's game:

I couldn't bring myself to include it in the gallery. Maybe I should have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks like something Norman Rockwell would have painted. It's a caricature that in this case actually isn't a caricature.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

You absolutely should have. That is the loving best.

Speaking of baseball, A Pittsburgh Tribune-Review photographer got an amazing shot of a fan saving a kid's drat life from a flying bat

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did he at least get the bat?

Also amazing reflexes there.

I'm out processing from the military based on medical issues, and am gonna move to San Diego. Hopefully I can get more action with sports. My preferred degree is major in video editing minor in photography so I am hopinI can get a press pass to cover games at the college I'm (hopefully) getting in.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BobTheCow posted:

Hello again thread! If you haven't already seen, this kid nearly getting his head taken off by a flying bat is a pretty wild photo: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/10100857-74/bat-ortiz-pirates

Speaking of baseball, I love it as a fan and also as a photographer, partly because the goofiness of the sport always finds new ways to make me laugh. Like this outtake of a pitcher from yesterday's game:

We've gone full "Speaking of baseball" circle!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Curious which you guys think is better first or second?

Bull Riding I (Cocle, Panama) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC08523 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The second, by a mile. It shows way more action and has a face.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
The second is honestly one of my favorite shots ever posted on this forum.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The second screams fast paced action and fun. I can see why you like the first, but the second one takes the cake.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Soopafly posted:

The second is honestly one of my favorite shots ever posted on this forum.

drat, thanks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that first one is fine, but the 2nd is loving phenomenal :stare:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that second one owns.

I never really have the opportunity to shoot sports, but took this today with my phone:

Whistler 2016 by Hannah, on Flickr

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I'd get this mounted and framed, great shot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a go to guide for policies on cameras/lenses that covers the different arenas? I'm going to Panthers/Islanders next week at BB&T and its really vague on the website. Someone posted on a Flickr thread that they have a liberal policy and anything under 12" is fine for hockey, but that was 8 years ago. I have 100 section seats, 3rd row. I think my 50-150 would break that rule but I'll measure it, but I'd like to take my 18-35 for some general stuff anyway. Just a case of email the venue and hope for a clearer answer?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You'll want fast lenses cause the lighting is poo poo.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a go to guide for policies on cameras/lenses that covers the different arenas? I'm going to Panthers/Islanders next week at BB&T and its really vague on the website. Someone posted on a Flickr thread that they have a liberal policy and anything under 12" is fine for hockey, but that was 8 years ago. I have 100 section seats, 3rd row. I think my 50-150 would break that rule but I'll measure it, but I'd like to take my 18-35 for some general stuff anyway. Just a case of email the venue and hope for a clearer answer?

Most places have a no telephoto policy, but enforcement is not consistent at all, even between different gates at the same event. Easiest thing to do is just go ahead and try at a couple gates if you have easy access to your car to stow it if you get turned away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Take a basic kit lens if you absolutely have to have a camera with you, and just have fun being at the game as a whole because playoff hockey owns super loving hard. The lighting is going to be awful and shooting through the plexiglass makes life even worse, so odds are it's not going to really be worth the trouble.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Soulex posted:

You'll want fast lenses cause the lighting is poo poo.

My 18-35 is 1.8, the 50-150 is 2.8. Both fixed. I've been there before but not from a photo PoV, although the strobes their guy was using in the ceiling almost sent me loopy.

Frinkahedron posted:

Most places have a no telephoto policy, but enforcement is not consistent at all, even between different gates at the same event. Easiest thing to do is just go ahead and try at a couple gates if you have easy access to your car to stow it if you get turned away.

Ah gotta love consistency! Maybe I'll take the 50-150 and decide based on where we park whether to clip it to my bag. It's a pretty meaty looking lens so I think they're just gonna say no to it. Hopefully no grief with the 18-35, but someone might think it looks 'pro' or 'big zoom' because it's a nice looking lens.

DJExile posted:

Take a basic kit lens if you absolutely have to have a camera with you, and just have fun being at the game as a whole because playoff hockey owns super loving hard. The lighting is going to be awful and shooting through the plexiglass makes life even worse, so odds are it's not going to really be worth the trouble.

Oh absolutely. No dreams of thinking I'm gonna get anything approaching good, kind of just want some atmosphere pics or maybe a dude smashed up against the glass. Been to a few NHL games, but not what might be a deciding Stanley cup game so pretty excited. Psyched to be so close, while barely a few feet from $300 seats.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 16, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Part of the reason for keeping lenses out of the stands too is that they don't want you bumping and annoying people with a large unwieldy lens.

E: Oh hey you edited your post. That's all well and good and quite honestly if you're only 3 rows away your wider kit lens might just get all the work done for you anyway.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
First time shooting lots of action last night at the FC Kansas City women's soccer game. I took my 70-200 f/4L and was worried it wouldn't be fast enough, but it seemed to work well for some shots, I think. I took over 800 photos so I'm still working my way through them, but here are a few. Next time I'm going to try for more tracking/motion shots. For me, most of last night was an exercise in keeping track of the action in-camera and maintaining focus where I wanted. I got a lot of blurry, out-of-focus shots.

Regarding park security, I had no issues with bringing in my 70-200 lens to Children's Mercy Park (home of Sporting KC, an MLS team). In my bag also was my 17-55 as well as some batteries. Some ushers commented on the camera setup saying it was pretty big (had my extended battery grip attached), but they told me they wouldn't do anything about it because the people at the gate had already let me in with everything. It didn't hurt that the game wasn't a full crowd and I was fairly isolated from everyone else at my spot. I had lots of room, and I think it helps to be nice to the people working the game. I had told them if they or anyone else had an issue that I would be more than happy to move and accommodate any issues that arose.

With other sports, I have taken a 24-105 lens setup to a Royals game (before the Royals were good), and then my 17-55 lens (during the World Series the past two years). Developing a rapport, introducing yourself and briefly chatting with staff/workers before the game starts helps tremendously in my experience. Additionally, don't be afraid to give your seat neighbors a heads up. Sometimes they'll switch seats with you to help avoid any conflicts.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man, penalty kicks are always the hardest to get if you aren't right in front or in the back.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sports is hard as hell but it's kinda a bummer that there's something cut off in #2, 3 and 4.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Geektox posted:

Sports is hard as hell but it's kinda a bummer that there's something cut off in #2, 3 and 4.

Agreed. For shots like 2 and 3, I need to get in the habit of switching my lens out quickly. 4 was just unfortunate framing. Next time!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They aren't bad moments and yeah like you said it's not easy when you're up in the stands.

That said, 2 and 5 hurt because they're just backs of the players. I can see what you're trying to do with 1 and I really like the idea. I'd play with a few other speeds and see what else turns out.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

They aren't bad moments and yeah like you said it's not easy when you're up in the stands.

That said, 2 and 5 hurt because they're just backs of the players. I can see what you're trying to do with 1 and I really like the idea. I'd play with a few other speeds and see what else turns out.

5 would be a lot better if the subject was reversed and focus was on the player taking the kick with the wall out of focus. Then it would be a whole lot more dynamic IMO.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

5 would be a lot better if the subject was reversed and focus was on the player taking the kick with the wall out of focus. Then it would be a whole lot more dynamic IMO.

Thank you both for the feedback. Definitely going to try a game again. Hopefully I'll have more opportunities to move around the pitch next time as well. I really would have liked to frame the save from the opposite side.

Here's another shot I liked. I think this is one of the better ones I got.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'd crop that photo so that you have the action and not the negative space. It's still good though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah crop that to the 3 players and the ball, but that's a very good shot.