Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

Don't know what it's like out in a cav squadron in the force but Harmony Church is like a hands in your pockets free for all zone or something, everyone stands around with their hands in their pockets. Haven't heard anyone yell at someone to take their hands out of their pockets since I was in OCS on main post.

Wait till you get to JBLM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Spurs

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Came to post this. It will never make sense, but in cav, having (silver) spurs is somehow more important than having a combat patch, or, you know, a CAB.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
It's impossible to adequately convey the complete and utter disillusionment that happens, whether it's a sudden soul-searingly perfect moment of clarity or just that gradual upwelling of disgust and contempt that doesn't really have a high tide mark. Sometimes it's one after the other, like the concussive force of one particularly hard cockslap from the Jolly Green Giant fixes the temporary blindness that made you enlist and allowed you drunkenly stumble through to that point without your brain revolting. After that it's all downhill because once you recognize the Bizzaro World for what it is, you won't ever be able to go back to the way things were without the unsettling feeling that everything is horribly wrong.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Spur rides are loving dumb. So are the hardon everyone gets for Stetsons.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm writing a one page 'leadership philosophy' for rotc-lite and i'm seriously contemplating putting the phrase 'worship jesus but dont be an rear end in a top hat' in it

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mostly because I live in the bible belt and it would be a childish but satisfying stab at how everyone in this state is an unredeemable christian bigot

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's a line in The Book of the SubGenius that describes them something like "crawling all over each other to suck on the finger instead of looking at where it's pointing." Ghandi's "I admire Christ but his followers not so much" is another classic if you want to drop a historical burn.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How the gently caress does the Army have such broken webpages in TYOL 2016. Holy gently caress. In the process of clearing and I have to fill out this online transportation bullshit and the website barely works. Won't let me click on Step 1, it's just ordinary text, no link despite it saying CLICK HERE>>>

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It will only work on a version of Internet Explorer that has been out of date for several years. :suicide101:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Came to post this. It will never make sense, but in cav, having (silver) spurs is somehow more important than having a combat patch, or, you know, a CAB.

Soulex posted:

Spur rides are loving dumb. So are the hardon everyone gets for Stetsons.

My platoon was attached to the 2nd ACR in 2003 for like a minute or two. My entire platoon got awarded gold combat spurs.

We never did any kind of spur ride, or other BS. Just got cool certificates signed by the regimental commander.

Now I'm a 42 series super office clerk with spurs and a stetson. lol

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Gold spurs are awarded on the same premise as a combat patch, you don't "earn" them. And a lot of cav units typically gift their swag to attached units for a cheap morale boost. Just don't be like those soldiers who wear their USMC or SF group combat patch because "we worked with them and I feel closer to them than my own brigade/division/whatever"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

Gold spurs are awarded on the same premise as a combat patch, you don't "earn" them. And a lot of cav units typically gift their swag to attached units for a cheap morale boost. Just don't be like those soldiers who wear their USMC or SF group combat patch because "we worked with them and I feel closer to them than my own brigade/division/whatever"

My squadron was used to move a few chalks of SEALS for training poo poo at JTC over the course of a few weeks. We had a reservist fueler that went out and bought all these SEALs T-Shirts and wore them whenever he could after that. Same reasoning.

His day-job was being the assistant manager of a Sonic, which he claimed made him a choice candidate for OCS because he had been in a leadership role since he was 17. He ended up getting a less-than-honorable because he knocked up some chick and just stopped showing up because he had to "Be there" for her and somehow got a hardship instead of rightfully butt hosed by the CoC

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

Actually, they made the gold spur "awardees" go through a spur ride with the dudes trying to get their silver spurs.

We skipped town for that.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I once rode in a helicopter with MARSOC guys so I'm basically a marine special forces sniper.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

Don't know what it's like out in a cav squadron in the force but Harmony Church is like a hands in your pockets free for all zone or something, everyone stands around with their hands in their pockets. Haven't heard anyone yell at someone to take their hands out of their pockets since I was in OCS on main post.

Out in harmony they are cav squadrons buy Joe is mostly tankers and if you've ever met a bunch of disillusioned, no shits given motherfuckers it's tankers stuck in tradoc without tanks.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I once sat in the drivers seat of my Bradley while we provided overwatch to some SF guys while they stood around doing stuff so that basically makes me SF.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

I once rode in a helicopter with MARSOC guys so I'm basically a marine special forces sniper.

I rode in a helicopter with a full bird so I'm basically a staff officer now.

Mustang posted:

How the gently caress does the Army have such broken webpages in TYOL 2016. Holy gently caress. In the process of clearing and I have to fill out this online transportation bullshit and the website barely works. Won't let me click on Step 1, it's just ordinary text, no link despite it saying CLICK HERE>>>

Wait till you have to do training.

Also, Wallet Hall is the place here that you'll want to contact for anything PCS related. Also if you need temporary lodging, book now because they are ALWAYS busy. Waller Hall isn't too far away from the hotel, and they just put in a base transport system in case you need to go to North Fort or Madigan.

If you got issues or something let me know, PM, here or ESO (forgot your name). I'll help sort you out.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Actually, they made the gold spur "awardees" go through a spur ride with the dudes trying to get their silver spurs.

We skipped town for that.
What kind of hosed up unit has time for a spur ride during deployment?

a cav unit hooah

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think stetsons may be the one thing thats more ridiculously stupid than bloused jump boots in a dress uniform

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
No, nevermind, the boots thing is still worse

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Eh, compared to the shoes the boots are kind of comfortable and it doesn't sound like a queef every time you take a step.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
A page late, but based off the directive of finally-dismissed-after-the-6th-or-7th-SHARP-charge CSM Diddlefingers, everyone on guard here must have all their magazines pouches the same way no matter what. And wear a FLC over your IOTV because reasons. Thank Gaia for my turboPOG nerd MOS.

The BC and now former CSM of this infantry battalion both started as comms guys. I live in a laughable carnival of posturing

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I think stetsons may be the one thing thats more ridiculously stupid than bloused jump boots in a dress uniform

Counterpoint: tanker boots own bones.

Basically tanker is the least lovely combat arms gig but Chandler that cocksucker makes me want to shoot him then myself for being associated by MOS.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Paradise Lost posted:

Eh, compared to the shoes the boots are kind of comfortable and it doesn't sound like a queef every time you take a step.

My squadron commander wasted taxpayer dollars (a few grand for 30 mins) and pencil-whipped the approval required to single-pilot a kiowa over Jalalabad airfield with a photographer in the copilot seat so he could take pics of his primary staff in stetsons/spurs standing in formation on the airfield.

Ban cav

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Zeris posted:

Ban army

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I want someone to do a detailed study of how much time and money is wasted by the Army each year in briefings. And then use that information to reduce the number of staff officers and NCOs to a realistic number.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Soulex posted:

Also, Wallet Hall is the place here that you'll want to contact for anything PCS related. Also if you need temporary lodging, book now because they are ALWAYS busy. Waller Hall isn't too far away from the hotel, and they just put in a base transport system in case you need to go to North Fort or Madigan.

If you got issues or something let me know, PM, here or ESO (forgot your name). I'll help sort you out. I'm driving out there with my stuff so getting around shouldn't be a problem.

Sweet, thanks, will do. Will definitely need temporary lodging as I check out places to live. I'll be up there in around 2 and a half weeks or so.

The Transportation site is down for who knows how long and when I went to the transportation office they told me I could do it on JBLM's end and just tell them the site was down while I was clearing. Signed off on my clearing papers so I can leave though. Hoping this won't bite me in the rear end and have JBLM's transportation office tell me I can't do it there.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Washington knew a new person was coming so it started raining again, just for you. Hope you like rain. And overcast skies.

(It'll start getting sunny again soon......hopefully).

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

psydude posted:

I want someone to do a detailed study of how much time and money is wasted by the Army each year in briefings. And then use that information to reduce the number of staff officers and NCOs to a realistic number.

if you're trying to save money and waste with this plan, you should start at the top with the flag officers dude

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

Washington knew a new person was coming so it started raining again, just for you. Hope you like rain. And overcast skies.

(It'll start getting sunny again soon......hopefully).

yeah we're getting the same out here as well. It's been so beautiful and poo poo. I was getting so tan :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

if you're trying to save money and waste with this plan, you should start at the top with the flag officers dude

If I'm not mistaken, the number of flag/general officers is established by congress, rather than the branch.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Right, well, they could stand to lower that number is all. How many dumb gently caress vanity commands can the army keep staffed?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

That would be a fun briefing!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Right, well, they could stand to lower that number is all. How many dumb gently caress vanity commands can the army keep staffed?

One time we had a command whose entire mission was to manage vanity commands

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

MrsAdiabatic posted:

A page late, but based off the directive of finally-dismissed-after-the-6th-or-7th-SHARP-charge CSM Diddlefingers, everyone on guard here must have all their magazines pouches the same way no matter what. And wear a FLC over your IOTV because reasons. Thank Gaia for my turboPOG nerd MOS.

The BC and now former CSM of this infantry battalion both started as comms guys. I live in a laughable carnival of posturing

I wanna personally ask every shitstain who mandates wearing the FLC over the IOTV just what exactly their intention is by doing that, like why do they think that's a good thing to do. It sure would be real funny if one of them had to deal with a wound to the torso while all dumbed up.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i was gay and liked having my poo poo on a FLC :shrug:

but then again i had a fuckin sweet rig made by Tactical Tailor here in washington that our company paid for (everyone got one, they were good poo poo)
it also had quick disconnects to get it the gently caress off you though, so yeah

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wore the FLC just because I am a gay noble that liked being able to take off my mag pouches when I was walking around with my lovely M9 instead of my M4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah one of the shithole outposts I was at required IBA / IOTV and helmet anytime you were outside, so pretty much everyone in the platoon was rocking a chest rig or FLC or whatever pretty quick so they didn't have to carry all their poo poo everytime they went to take a poo poo or grab chow.

• Locked thread