Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morpheus posted:

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

I believe this is actually what they're doing for DS3 now.
Of course there's probably still some abuse possible with rapidly changing equipment, but it's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Morpheus posted:

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

Soul memory is great because if you were good at the game you'd never die so all your souls would go into powering you up while someone bad loses their souls and gets crushed by twinks

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Soul memory is great because if you were good at the game you'd never die so all your souls would go into powering you up while someone bad loses their souls and gets crushed by twinks

I think they were saying that the score used to match PvP contestants should take into account all factors, not just current level or however it works. (I haven't played any Dark Souls games.) So a level 1 character with a bunch of god tier equipment would be matched with a much higher-level character than an actual noob.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Dark Souls III, the very first tutorial boss is a large halberd-wielding man roughly reminiscent of the Dragonriders in DSII, or a halberd-wielding Ornstein/Artorias combo from DSI. He zooms, he jumps, he has some wide-spread attacks and some casual spear pokes. Everything he does, with the exception of guard-breaking you, is parryable, so you can punish his attacks, and it feels very satisfying to do. He's difficult, but not too difficult.

Then his health bar hits the halfway point and you can practically hear Miyazaki chuckling like a loving sadist in the background. This little pulsating parasite on his back ERUPTS into a giant, Manus-like serpent/rat hybrid clusterfuck that would make most Bloodborne bosses squirm. You can't parry him anymore, you can't do anything but dodge into his body and pray that you can pile on enough damage to take him out.

The best part?

There's a fair number of random hollows that erupt into the same drat thing, so instead of just casually stomping through an area of hollows like it's New Londo all over again, sometimes one of them will scream, erupt a giant :stonk: monstrosity from its back, kill everybody around you, and turn a mob of weak enemies into a hair-raising encounter with one strong one.

Also, the very first chest I found was a mimic and it loving ate me. :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

death .cab for qt posted:

:darksouls:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Alpha Protocol again.

Each of the bosses has a general theme to them similar to the various play styles you can go with. You've got the Aggressive one, the Suave one, the Stealthy one and the one who loves cocaine.

Anyway, Omen Deng(?) is the ultra bad-rear end sneaky ops dude who can get away with wearing a cape and not look like a complete oval office and in one mission he ghosts you and sneaks up with a gun at your back. He does the usual thing of having a little chat with you before you give him the slip and the level begins.

Now, the great thing is if it's your first game you're probably wearing armour and running around being a shotgun bastard and he chews you out for going out in public looking like a bomb disposal unit and how obvious you are to spot. Same again if you have any kind of armour on that has different specs. Like wear a sneaking suit and he says it's a good idea, but still... Out in public you look like a bad cosplayer.

You want this dudes respect? You do the mission in a t-shirt a khakis. There's a specific outfit which is basically a "Tourist disguise" (I think, it's been a while) and he give you mad kudos for being a hard man to find and how well you blend in with the crowd.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

death .cab for qt posted:

In Dark Souls III, the very first tutorial boss is a large halberd-wielding man roughly reminiscent of the Dragonriders in DSII, or a halberd-wielding Ornstein/Artorias combo from DSI. He zooms, he jumps, he has some wide-spread attacks and some casual spear pokes. Everything he does, with the exception of guard-breaking you, is parryable, so you can punish his attacks, and it feels very satisfying to do. He's difficult, but not too difficult.

Then his health bar hits the halfway point and you can practically hear Miyazaki chuckling like a loving sadist in the background. This little pulsating parasite on his back ERUPTS into a giant, Manus-like serpent/rat hybrid clusterfuck that would make most Bloodborne bosses squirm. You can't parry him anymore, you can't do anything but dodge into his body and pray that you can pile on enough damage to take him out.

The best part?

There's a fair number of random hollows that erupt into the same drat thing, so instead of just casually stomping through an area of hollows like it's New Londo all over again, sometimes one of them will scream, erupt a giant :stonk: monstrosity from its back, kill everybody around you, and turn a mob of weak enemies into a hair-raising encounter with one strong one.

the idle animation for mimics makes them more obvious so you don't wait for half a minute to see if they're breathing.

also the easy way to get stuff from mimics still works.

it's cool seeing different enemy types fighting amongst each other instead of waiting off in the distance like dynasty warriors infantry.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

it's cool seeing different enemy types fighting amongst each other instead of waiting off in the distance like dynasty warriors infantry.

What's really weird though is that its all based on proximity to the player though. You can mess around with it in the first area with the tower bonfire and the knight who walks out of the tower below the bonfire. He doesn't walk until you're close. There are some enemies that only move if they're on camera, too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Action Tortoise posted:

the idle animation for mimics makes them more obvious so you don't wait for half a minute to see if they're breathing.

also the easy way to get stuff from mimics still works.

What's the easy way to get stuff from mimics?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Who What Now posted:

Throw a Lloyd's Talisman at them, or whatever they're called in DS3 (they look the same and the description mentions the old name). Mimic gets sleepy, opens up, wait a few seconds and you can grab the item.

Nuebot posted:

What's really weird though is that its all based on proximity to the player though. You can mess around with it in the first area with the tower bonfire and the knight who walks out of the tower below the bonfire. He doesn't walk until you're close. There are some enemies that only move if they're on camera, too.
That's just normal scripting, though? I'd say it's a good thing, as it ensures that you will actually see things happen, and you can learn from previous experiences and replicate their setup. I mean they could have had the dragon firebomb the bridge all the loving time in DS1, too (after all, there's always Hollows on there for him to fry), but it's far more effective when you're there to get caught in it, no?

My personal little thing in DS3 is a pot full of Estus Soup. It's just so funny to me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

Alpha Protocol again.

Each of the bosses has a general theme to them similar to the various play styles you can go with. You've got the Aggressive one, the Suave one, the Stealthy one and the one who loves cocaine.

Anyway, Omen Deng(?) is the ultra bad-rear end sneaky ops dude who can get away with wearing a cape and not look like a complete oval office and in one mission he ghosts you and sneaks up with a gun at your back. He does the usual thing of having a little chat with you before you give him the slip and the level begins.

Now, the great thing is if it's your first game you're probably wearing armour and running around being a shotgun bastard and he chews you out for going out in public looking like a bomb disposal unit and how obvious you are to spot. Same again if you have any kind of armour on that has different specs. Like wear a sneaking suit and he says it's a good idea, but still... Out in public you look like a bad cosplayer.

You want this dudes respect? You do the mission in a t-shirt a khakis. There's a specific outfit which is basically a "Tourist disguise" (I think, it's been a while) and he give you mad kudos for being a hard man to find and how well you blend in with the crowd.
He says this right near the start of the mission I believe. I instantly restarted and civvie clothed it.
Also isn't that the mission you can get Heck to drive-by on a train?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah Heck provides support in the form of firing a minigun out of a passing train :allears:

Deng responding to your civvies is cool, though I guess he finds you because even in civvies you're still wearing a bigass gun belt.

There's another bit where an enemy responds to your vocation choices: "I've heard about you... you're a [starting vocation]". You respond "actually I'm [post-Saudi Arabia vocation". I stopped playing as a veteran and selecting Operative just so I'd hear all the variations of that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Who What Now posted:

hunter talismans, the things enemies at the cathedral's upper area toss at you to prevent estus heals.

a bunch of recognizable items have different names in this game, it's a cool lore thing because no one knows the name of two particular swords but the legends behind them hint at ds1 and 2 characters.

as for the enemy ai, yeah I meant it's cool to see them doing stuff when you get to their area. I can imagine invading someone's world and seeing hollows hanging out with other enemies until the host reaches the area trigger.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

My first death in Dark Souls 3 came when a mimic jump-kicked me in the head.

This game is allllllllright.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is it time to bring back the Dark Souls thread title?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jehde posted:

Is it time to bring back the Dark Souls thread title?

Yes, let's bitch about people adding content to the thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
PYF little things in games, but not if they're new.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're going to get five straight pages of DS3 followed by someone melting down over spoilers, if that's all right with y'all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

warning: I am liable to melt down about DS3 spoilers

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Dark Spirit SévSnapé invaded and killed xxDumbledorexx.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SciFiDownBeat posted:

warning: I Will melt down about DS3 spoilers

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

At the End of Dark Souls 3 it turns out you were the Dark Souls.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dark Spirit SévSnapé invaded and killed xxDumbledorexx.

no

Tiberius Thyben posted:

At the End of Dark Souls 3 it turns out you were the Dark Souls.

NOOOOO

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Turns out the answer was love all along.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It turns out the series name was a mistranslation all along, it was actually about muddy shoes.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Cleretic posted:

It turns out the series name was a mistranslation all along, it was actually about muddy shoes.

Demons Soles was the better footwear.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My favourite little thing in AC: Rogue is the employee orientation manual in the real life parts being comically evil and referencing 4, while still being nigh on indistinguishable from a normal orientation manual.

Really, all the references in that game are a joy; from the AC books they have on the shelves, to how abstergo now has a ban on wearing hoodies and warns people about those showing a fondness "for the colour grey".

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
I just picked up Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and when you wear your mariachi disguise and hide in a drum or box the sombrero sits perched atop your cover.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
In Dark Souls 2, in an area filled with ladders and drops, there is a ladder which has just enough length to start fast climbing down before stopping and leaving you falling to the bottom of the level and dying.

I fell for it. :downs:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fingerless Gloves posted:

In Dark Souls 2, in an area filled with ladders and drops, there is a ladder which has just enough length to start fast climbing down before stopping and leaving you falling to the bottom of the level and dying.

I fell for it. :downs:

I haven't played 3 yet, but I feel like even if 2 is the worst Dark Souls game it HAS to be on top in hilarious death traps.

I mentioned it in this thread ages ago, but my favorite is the door that opens to nothing but a bottomless pit. You really don't expect Dark Souls to pull Looney Tunes bullshit.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played 3 yet, but I feel like even if 2 is the worst Dark Souls game it HAS to be on top in hilarious death traps.

I mentioned it in this thread ages ago, but my favorite is the door that opens to nothing but a bottomless pit. You really don't expect Dark Souls to pull Looney Tunes bullshit.

I love that Looney Tunes bullshit too because it's secretly a shortcut too, because you can jump into that door from above to skip a lot of enemies once you've opened it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started playing Devil May Cry 4 again, and it reminded me of a couple of really neat touches:

I think it's been brought up in the thread already, but there are 2 kinds of enemies in the game: regular old demons and things that have been animated by the evil pope, and the game actually separates these enemies in different "factions" which fight each other if they get the chance. By itself, I don't think that it's anything to write home about, but the fact that you almost never see the enemy in-fighting on the normal difficulty, but it happens all the time in the bloody palace or on higher difficulties makes it a cool little nugget of world-building, and shows the level of care that went into the gameplay. Care that obviously didn't go in designing new areas for the second half of the game...

Also something that I'm not 100% certain about, but I think that the "air guitar" taunt goes on for as long as you want if you do it on a SSS rank.

In the Special Edition, when you play as one of the new characters, all cutscenes are removed (you still get short little bookend videos), which is perfectly understandable and fine. However, if you play as Vergil, there's one super short cutscene when you reach the underground laboratory that's been edited to make it seem like he sliced a blast door open (in the original Nero cutscene, enemies do). Simple, but pretty neat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

well, until someone pointed out how it sounded in English, it was nearly called either Dark Race or Dark Ring, so hey.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My favourite things from DMC4 are both with Nero's sword.

When you fight Dante at the start Nero tries to be all intimidating by revving his sword, and Dante just does the exact same thing back at him. It makes me laugh each time. DMC4 cutscenes are so good.

When you pull off that taunt in-game, it actually gives a tiny bit of EX meter like manually revving your sword would.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my favorite looney tunes bullshit in dark souls 2 is the two coffins you can climb into

one changes your character's gender which was funny because the first time I used it I didn't notice the change until after I got the four lord souls

the other slides down a slope and falls off a cliff (into a hidden area)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SciFiDownBeat posted:

my favorite looney tunes bullshit in dark souls 2 is the two coffins you can climb into

one changes your character's gender which was funny because the first time I used it I didn't notice the change until after I got the four lord souls

Yeah I did the same thing, stepped out, ran around for some time, then at one point I noticed "Wait...when did my hair change into a ponytail? And apparently I also have breasts?"

I had to look online to find out what had happened.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched my friend play through the game after I did and I was so excited when he jumped in the coffin and it seemingly did nothing

two sessions later he realized what happened and spent half an hour trying to figure out what caused it without looking it up

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fingerless Gloves posted:

DMC4 cutscenes are so good.

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpME4riPI1k

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Glagha posted:

I love that Looney Tunes bullshit too because it's secretly a shortcut too, because you can jump into that door from above to skip a lot of enemies once you've opened it

Really that whole section is pretty funny.

So there's a gigantic pit in the middle of the hub area with no guardrails. Just giant deep pit that looks kind of like a well. If you jump into it, without preparation, you probably die. I forget exactly how the game calculates fall damage - I think distance = a flat percentage of your HP, so no matter how buff you are, a height that deals 50% will deal 50%, and too far will kill you.
There are steps to mitigate this - for example, the Silvercat Ring that you can buy will reduce falling damage.

Anyway, a good ways into the game, you find this guy Laddersmith Gilligan. He'll move back to the hub area, near the pit, and offer to make ladders for you. Three ladders, in fact, of various price.

The first ladder is like ten steps and is laughably small, ending nowhere. If you go down it you'll probably die as you fall off the bottom.
The second ladder is a decent length, but still doesn't touch the ground. If you go off the bottom, you'll lose about half your health, but you'll be where you need to be.
And the last ladder goes all the way up and down to a platform across the pit - it's still not the bottom of the pit, but it leads to the next area, the Grave of Saints.
Except.
The Grave of Saints is not, in isolation, an especially tough area, if you're playing offline. But if you're playing online, then you will get summoned into a world of the player of the 'Ratbro' covenant - and they will have pulled various switches to turn the place into a deathtrap and kill you. As well as trying to kill you themselves.
The best strategy for dealing with the Grave, as a casual player? Just sprint through the entire thing. You'll outrun every enemy and once you reach the other side you're home free, and there's even a bonfire, right before a relatively uninteresting boss.

OR.
OR.
You could jump down further from that pit platform, if you know where to jump or have fall protection, and skip the Grave of Saints altogether and head into the Gutter, the next area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just put a mimic to sleep with a lloyds talisman in Dark Souls 3 and they have the cutest animation. After a while they stretch their arms out in a creaky-sounding yawn and tuck themselves back in to their chests :3: