Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Anyone looking at OpenStack certifications? I know Mirantis offers one which I just took & passed as part of a work training, but it looks like Redhat has two offerings (Red Hat Certified Engineer in Red Hat OpenStack and Certified System Administrator in Red Hat OpenStack) and the OpenStack Foundation seems to be rolling out their own Certified OpenStack Administrator. Trying to figure out which are actually useful vs fluff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The wireless market has always been geared towards user-level simplicity. I have never seen a demand for "Wireless Engineer" because, honestly, it's just not that complex. Yes there are channels and coverage issues and interference and security, but compared to other networking technologies they are switches with less wires. CCNA Routing and Switching is way more valuable because it goes over the same switching aspects APs use as well as routing, which there definitely is a demand for.

You can get some really complex Wireless setups when you start to move into Aruba gear and all that. It's usually less to do with WiFi itself and more with the underlying infrastructure to support it, as well as the security aspects of setting it up. WiFi stuff tends to be pretty niche, but it's out there.

My experience is that it's really vendor specific though. People who know Aruba tend to stick to Aruba, people who know Cisco tend to stick to Cisco.

And as always, my experience is anecdotal.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah our largest client has a guy they hired specifically for wireless solutions. They are a retail chain and need similar but different solutions for a lot of locations because they will have 2 buildings and no decent way to run cables between so they need all sorts of fun poo poo to happen with mesh APs and poo poo.

Funny thing, his CCNA R&S (or maybe CCNA Wireless) was about to expire, he went to take the CCNA Security test (I think, it was security), failed and now he has no certs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The wireless market has always been geared towards user-level simplicity. I have never seen a demand for "Wireless Engineer" because, honestly, it's just not that complex. Yes there are channels and coverage issues and interference and security, but compared to other networking technologies they are switches with less wires. CCNA Routing and Switching is way more valuable because it goes over the same switching aspects APs use as well as routing, which there definitely is a demand for.

Wireless can get pretty complex and makes up a pretty good portion of our services revenue from commercial customers. It's much more complicated to scale beyond a SOHO deployment than just "Herp, buy a bunch of Archer C7s!"

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Wireless can get pretty complex and makes up a pretty good portion of our services revenue from commercial customers. It's much more complicated to scale beyond a SOHO deployment than just "Herp, buy a bunch of Archer C7s!"

That said, were you familiar with the cert in question (CWNA)? Just curious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That said, were you familiar with the cert in question (CWNA)? Just curious.

Yeah. It's worth getting if you're doing a lot of wireless work, but I'd also recommend getting the vendor certs like the CCNA, too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Yeah. It's worth getting if you're doing a lot of wireless work, but I'd also recommend getting the vendor certs like the CCNA, too.

Good to know, thanks. I'll add it to the long list of certifications I want to get but can't because there's a gaping hole in my wallet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ozu posted:

Has Packet Tracer always been available for free? I seem to remember needing to pay for NetAcad courses before it was provided. Now it looks you can get it by signing up for the free Packet Tracer 101 walkthrough.

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

This is really awesome info. Thanks!

I swear some day I'll crack open that CCNA book that's been sitting on my desk for the last 2 years...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Good to know, thanks. I'll add it to the long list of certifications I want to get but can't because there's a gaping hole in my wallet.

Just to add to this I believe there is a goon somewhere here who has one and does a lot of work for cell companies. I looked into it getting it when I was in the running for a job at a telco who did a lot of WISP installs in rural areas. If you want to get an good primer on some of the wireless theory take a look into getting your amateur ham radio license. There is a lot of overlap in the wireless/radio theory covered and that exam is like $10-20.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
For our CCIE's out there, what material did you use to pass (for R&S)?
I've got a meeting in two weeks to kick off my CCIE, I need to go in there with what I want in terms of costs and time. Theres alot of companies that do material but I've personally only ever used CBT Nuggets' CCNA/CCNP videos which were awesome. Can anyone vouch for any training in particular or tell me what you used to pass?

Also with VIRL and GNS and whatnot nowadays, can you train well in a virtual environment or do you still need real lab access?

If I do need the labs, I saw INE do a pretty cool deal where you get the materials and some lab hours bundled in together for a fair price

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 7, 2016

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

CWNA is something I plan on taking once I wrap up CCNA R/S, but my job also involves a lot of weird wireless edge cases that most people will never see. I already have the intro-level Ruckus cert (WiSE), and have found that the vendor-neutral parts of that test have been useful enough to me that I'd like to learn more about wireless theory as a whole.

In other news, taking ICND1 in about 2 hours. I feel ready for it, and my boss has been begging me to get it because he can't push through a promotion for me until I have it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kakesu posted:

In other news, taking ICND1 in about 2 hours. I feel ready for it, and my boss has been begging me to get it because he can't push through a promotion for me until I have it.
I probably don't have to tell you, but you get 10-15 minutes or so during the test instructions part to write out whatever you want on your scratch pad.

I wrote out CIDR notations on a grid with the appropriate subnet mask values and block sizes, and it helped. Good luck!

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

I probably don't have to tell you, but you get 10-15 minutes or so during the test instructions part to write out whatever you want on your scratch pad.

I wrote out CIDR notations on a grid with the appropriate subnet mask values and block sizes, and it helped. Good luck!

Yeah, I did that when I took the Net+ a few weeks ago, and it came in helpful. Thankfully, I do tons of subnetting (including VLSM) as part of my job, so I'm pretty comfortable with the subject overall.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kakesu posted:

Yeah, I did that when I took the Net+ a few weeks ago, and it came in helpful. Thankfully, I do tons of subnetting (including VLSM) as part of my job, so I'm pretty comfortable with the subject overall.

Sounds like you'll be more than fine then!

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Sounds like you'll be more than fine then!

Passed with a 903. On to ICND2!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Ahdinko posted:

For our CCIE's out there, what material did you use to pass (for R&S)?
I've got a meeting in two weeks to kick off my CCIE, I need to go in there with what I want in terms of costs and time. Theres alot of companies that do material but I've personally only ever used CBT Nuggets' CCNA/CCNP videos which were awesome. Can anyone vouch for any training in particular or tell me what you used to pass?

Also with VIRL and GNS and whatnot nowadays, can you train well in a virtual environment or do you still need real lab access?

If I do need the labs, I saw INE do a pretty cool deal where you get the materials and some lab hours bundled in together for a fair price

A lot of INE stuff, reading the actual documentation (it's dry but trust me its worth doing) and books on any topics I wasn't strong on. I budgeted out enough rack rental tokens with INE to cover my study ramp up and two attempts at the lab.

From a timeline perspective I'd expect to take from 12-18 months. As you get closer to the lab date you'll probably be labbing 8-12 hours a day on weekends and on weeknights 2-4. I probably started with 8 hours a week and every couple months I'd add a few more hours a week.

I'd say VIRL will probably get you most of the way there/you could start there. You'll still want to burn some rack time. INE often does pre-configured/pre-staged for CCIE lab rack rentals and they'll offer simulated labs with grading.

I also used an IPExpert lab guide which seemed to be pretty challenging as well.

Also I can't stress reading the actual documentation enough.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
if you pass one of the CCNP level exams does it renew all your CCNA level stuff or do you have to actually complete all of the tests and get the CCNP for that to work

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

1000101 posted:

A lot of INE stuff, reading the actual documentation (it's dry but trust me its worth doing) and books on any topics I wasn't strong on. I budgeted out enough rack rental tokens with INE to cover my study ramp up and two attempts at the lab.

From a timeline perspective I'd expect to take from 12-18 months. As you get closer to the lab date you'll probably be labbing 8-12 hours a day on weekends and on weeknights 2-4. I probably started with 8 hours a week and every couple months I'd add a few more hours a week.

I'd say VIRL will probably get you most of the way there/you could start there. You'll still want to burn some rack time. INE often does pre-configured/pre-staged for CCIE lab rack rentals and they'll offer simulated labs with grading.

I also used an IPExpert lab guide which seemed to be pretty challenging as well.

Also I can't stress reading the actual documentation enough.

One of the ccies I work with said once I'm at a level of experience that the ccnp is easy I'm not far from the ccie. Do you feel that way? My focus is collaboration so it may be different from routing.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

crunk dork posted:

if you pass one of the CCNP level exams does it renew all your CCNA level stuff or do you have to actually complete all of the tests and get the CCNP for that to work

The former, so if you're incredibly lazy you have up to 12 years to complete CCNP Security without your certifications expiring

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Vadun posted:

The former, so if you're incredibly lazy you have up to 12 years to complete CCNP Security without your certifications expiring

I'm not that bad yet but it's nice not studying for poo poo every day I've realized

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Bigass Moth posted:

One of the ccies I work with said once I'm at a level of experience that the ccnp is easy I'm not far from the ccie. Do you feel that way? My focus is collaboration so it may be different from routing.

I guess its relative. I mean if you're close to being ready for CCIE R+S then good odds that the CCNP R+S is going to feel easy. There's a lot of stuff that won't be covered by the CCNP. For example I don't think it covers things like PfR, VRF, ODR, tunnels, it barely touches ipv6 and the BGP content on the CCNP is pretty elementary. I don't think it covered MPLS or DMVPN either.

The other thing is going to be the pressure of time. You're going to get a 2 hour block of troubleshooting, a new diagnostic section (which I've never done) and 5 and a half hours of config time and you half to take lunch when the group does.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Vadun posted:

You have to complete it in two or three years. You only get so long between sitting the first exam and the last before they stop counting towards the cert, no matter how many you do in the middle.

Learned this the hard way with my BCMSN and ROUTE, had to sit SWITCH and ROUTE all over again :(

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Question for anyone with a CCIE or similarly-levelled cert... How quickly could I self-study myself to that level? Things are changing in my workplace and a networking role with a high-level cert is in demand.

I have the first CCNA data centre exam scheduled for 7 weeks from today. I figure I could finish the second exam 3~ months after to finish off the Associate cert.

Any recommended resources to help ease the process? I'm willing to invest $$$ to the cause and will likely get some of it reimbursed by work (as long I pass first). My study method is fruitful, but I'm terrified of failing on the first try so there is a lot of repetition involved. No brain dumps, of course.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Go to a bootcamp in India and then bribe the ccie exam proctor?

Doesn't data center require tens of thousands of dollars in gear?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm working on CCIE DC at the moment and having a hard time just figuring out how to get past the written, since I tried it once and got killed by all the minute details it asked about. I'm fine with doing lots of reading but the recommended book list is like 30 titles long and just depressing to look at.

If you actually get all of the gear together to lab it up at home you're going to spend a small fortune, but I figured once I got past the written I'd just suck it up and give INE a pile of money to get access to simulators. I can do a lot of the VM stuff on spare gear at work but I don't really have my own SAN to play with.

As far as recommended materials all I've looked at so far are some secondhand Cisco Press DC and DC virtualization books and the IBM Redbook on SANs, but if anyone has passed the written I'd love to know what they studied too because I only feel like I've scratched the surface.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 8, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah CCIE level cert isn't something you just cram for.

There's the 2 hour written, which is apparently tough, but then you have an 8 hour lab you need to complete.

Essentially these level exams assume YEARS of experience working in whatever setting you're sitting for.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you're going from CCNA to CCIE you're looking at a timeline of years of both independent studying and real world experience.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Weird, I thought you had to have CCNP before you can do CCIE.

quote:

There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications or training courses are not required. Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam. You are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the topics in the exam blueprints and strongly encouraged to have three to five years of job experience before attempting certification.

I had always just assumed you started with CCNA R&S, then CCNP, then CCIE.....

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
CCIE was the original certification chronologically and they weren't inclined to add prerequisites after the fact, so it still has none technically.

However, the material on any given specialization of CCIE tends to be a superset of what is on the equivalent CCNP/NA branch if it exists so if you're starting in the present day you should probably do CCNA, CCNP, and then CCIE.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks for the CCIE advice, I really appreciate it! It will be a long road.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
In race realists hosed up fantasy world he has

A+

Network+

Security+

Linux+ (also passed LPI LPIC-2 exam)

CCNA/P R&S, Security

CEH

CISSP

ISACA whatever

he swims around all day in scrooge mcduck vault cuz of all the monies hes SURE to make! :shepface:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not gonna lie if that's your cert dream list you aren't trying very hard.

MCSE, VCDX, CCIE, PMP

Prints money.

Hell I think at this point if I see A+ or Network+ on your resume and you're at some level or above, even though that cert probably required no effort for you, I think less of you. Like if you have a CCNP and a Network+, I'm just, huh

vv

Yeah add that as the 5th

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2016

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not gonna lie if that's your cert dream list you aren't trying very hard.

MCSE, VCDX, CCIE, PMP

Prints money.

No ITIL ? No moneyprinting.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
First 5 plus Project+ is the WGU IT - Security degree, which is actually an inexpensive way to get great study material and vouchers if you finish them in a year.

Don't know about the other courses but they just switched to uCertify for A+ and it's one of the better ways of studying for the exam.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been talking strategy with our DC CCIE because the RS is just way too loving broad. They're about to refresh DC to 2.0, but it still looks like it covers a very narrow focus while still hitting on core R&S concepts. Despite being a security guy, I think pursuing the DC track would actually be a good chance for me to learn something.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Race Realists posted:

In race realists hosed up fantasy world he has

A+

Network+

Security+

Linux+ (also passed LPI LPIC-2 exam)

CCNA/P R&S, Security

CEH

CISSP

ISACA whatever

he swims around all day in scrooge mcduck vault cuz of all the monies hes SURE to make! :shepface:

A+ and N+ mean jack poo poo when you have a CCNA unless you're doing PC repair.

CEH is ok but CISSP prints money. CASP is what most admins/techs SHOULD take instead of CISSP however that's another topic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been seeing a lot more non-governmental poo poo requiring the CISSP. I guess ISC2 is doing a good job at marketing to CEOs and board members.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Is it me, or do I see more and more job postings asking for ITIL?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It is not just you. It is more sought after because it increases productivity. How, no one's quite sure, but you'll have plenty of time to figure that out in all the meetings you'll be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What kinda money printing we talking with a CISSP?