Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are you making fun of people who main BBs/CAs like me simply because we are cowardly fucks with the easiest to play bote in the game? I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

Are you making fun of people who main BBs/CAs like me simply because we are cowardly fucks with the easiest to play bote in the game? I say.

You are baiting me into admitting my dickstabbing submarine autism and p2win crew aren't you?

Well gg it worked!

Also to anyone new at the game who plays BB's If I see you on my team trying to sit on the edge of the map while "mlg420noscopesniping" I will hunt you down and teamkill you myself for being an active detriment to your team be vaguely flustered at how you can be so bad so don't do that okay?

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 13, 2016

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm still getting the hang of this game, but I learned relatively quickly that sitting back as a BB wasn't helpful when my team's DD ate poo poo from three different directions as I desperately tried to lumber myself in to firing range. Now I try to make sure that any scouts are within my warm protective gaze.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The key to artillery ship is always close but not too close. You need to be close enough to shoot the enemy but not close enough that they see you and murder you.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

BOOM

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goontron forced an enemy to cap out because they couldn't face its wrath.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Goontron formed!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Telling the confederates I appreciate their dedication to historical accuracy every time I kill them finally made them mad enough to respond. It's good to know I'm getting to them. :allears:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Daily merit event switched to a hitting poo poo with torpedo event - have to get 6 total hits in a category - either fired from a surface ship, fired from a sub, or fired from torpedo bombers. Oddly enough probably best way to do this is low-level or mid-level sub/DD/CV.

The consume gold events also have popped, they aren't bad but not amazing, more side bonuses than anything. 800 gold spent gives you a berthage, 8800 gives you 180 merit and some gold smoke and silver, 28800 gives you more merit and a decent amount of various gold items (including oxygenator).

I'm considering getting an I-201 or some other gold sub, and then maybe permanent camo on a bunch of my ships I like. I can use the Jintsu and Repulse for nice gold ship commander training for my general commanders, and I don't really care much for CV training, but my sub commanders are pretty low still. Or maybe an Agincourt if it seems more fun than a gold sub might be, I dunno. Alternatively I could get the t4 IJN CL that you guys like and an Agincourt/I-201.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 13, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Keep in mind 'hits' doesn't necessarily mean damage. Hits against dead ships, or within minimum range should count, since they proc 'X happens if you hit with torpedoes' abilities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I spent my 10,000 free gold toward drawing more guys.

I GOT THE loving USELESS FOUR STAR RUSSIAN GUY :suicide:

On the upside, only 2 draws were 1 star guys; it was 2 1-star, 4 2-star, 3 3-star, and 1 4-star. So plenty of Qualification at least. And now I finally got Hawkeye on Doolittle :toot:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The deutschland is easily penned by same-tier DDs.

Until CLs get a buff the only cruisers worth it in t8+ are american heavies with their rapid fire guns.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

The deutschland is easily penned by same-tier DDs.

This is the case with every single German cruiser of any kind. I killed the poo poo out of a Hipper in a straight gunfight with an M-Class DD.

Even more than other CAs, all German stuff really needs to avoid being shot because it is their big and glaring weakness.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Now that I have Hawkeye , I'm planning on just getting 300 qual upgrades when I save up enough. I'm trying to decide who I should upgrade:

Luckner for +2% disguise?
Ricardi for +200m radar?
Shelby for +5% torpedo bomber damage?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Luckner is amazing at every single bote class.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

Luckner is amazing at every single bote class.

Guess I've been putting it off because 2% feels so tiny. I know disguise scales well but it's like 250m they'd have to get (at best).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Every 100m is pretty noticeable because it can determine who shoots first, and most people aren't sailing directly at each other so it can be a good 3-4s gap, enough time to aim/shoot first on a boat who doesn't know you're there.

The Asashio/Benson only have a 100m disadvantage to the Laforey but you still notice it a lot against good DD players.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
You're probably right.

I'm also wondering if I should have saved up merit for Clarkson. He's much better than Fletcher. And I think I know why I might be getting stomped in some carrier battles; the IJN carriers load faster, and combined with good crew that increase this, you can be in a match up where your opponent is getting planes ready almost 50% faster than your own. Stats like flight prep time make a big difference. I don't know why the hell they gave the Lexington a 13.5 second/plane prep time, because it is painfully slow.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I remember people saying long ago when this game came out that submarines would be useless.

I like to prove those people wrong every chance I get.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It was completely insane. We were trying to wipe out a couple light ships spotting while the BBs all formed a battle line and then they just started dying, one after another, as the sea became torpedoes from behind.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
We also made USS JAPSLAP sad at his teamcomp and he denied the fact that subs can be good scouts, while killing him from watching his IJN CA "Area Denial" torps being launched from his invisible ship thus giving away his position and heading without actually revealing him, while I was using my USN CA.

It's like I won the entire USN Sub/CA metagame in one night!

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 14, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Groggy nard posted:

We also made USS JAPSLAP sad at his teamcomp and he denied the fact that subs can be good scouts, while killing him from watching his IJN CA "Area Denial" torps being launched from his invisible ship thus giving away his position and heading without actually revealing him, while I was using my USN CA.

It's like I won the entire USN Sub/CA metagame in one night!

The only way it could've been better is if we ever get in a situation where one of us manages to blind fire and kill him by tracing the torp fan back to his estimated position. I lust for that moment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

The only way it could've been better is if we ever get in a situation where one of us manages to blind fire and kill him by tracing the torp fan back to his estimated position. I lust for that moment.

That's exactly what happened. The real bonus was he was firing the torpedoes at people 5km away so they would never have done jackshit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Just lost what would've been my second 5v5 win of the day because I choked trying to fire torpedoes correctly :bang:

I keep hitting ships inside the minimum range of the torpedo bombers' torpedoes. It seems like no matter how far away I set them up, nope, they're not doing any damage. That game I was on a roll too, getting 3 kills and only had the Hiryu to finish off in my Yorktown. Figured it would be an easy kill, since I had him in my sights with 2 TBs on one side and 5 on the other...and NONE of the loving torpedoes did anything and his own torpedo strike nails me perfectly. Goddamn Battle of Midway all over again!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
:lol:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today I put together a bunch of mostly-depleted old gift-cards, got my Steam Wallet to 50, and made a terrible financial decision.

VIVE SURCOUF!

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Today I put together a bunch of mostly-depleted old gift-cards, got my Steam Wallet to 50, and made a terrible financial decision.

VIVE SURCOUF!

You have made the right choice my friend.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trip Report: Yamato Plan B and Surcouf are team of heroes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Soo, picked up the repulse in that steam thing and I haven't decided on the ship. Mostly because all I have seen are 4v4 and 5v5s. And neither are very fun at night. That said, I did see why you guys enjoy the ship in my last game. Got into knife fights with a pair of DDs. I walked away without taking any damage from either. One just unloaded all his torps at close range, and yet I still was able to weave it around them all. I blame this on the fact it is a battlecruiser so not as lumbering as a typical battleship.

However, with all that said, I'm still mixed on the game in general. The player base is just so god awful small that you get really unfun match ups. And that isn't even getting into the ccg captain thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trip Report Addendum: A full salvo of Surcouftorps won't kill an H39, pubby DDs at T8 are really awful.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

By far one of my toughest wins. Matchmaker has a cruel sense of humor.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Getting torpedo hits is annoyingly hard. Whenever I play low tier boats, my instinct is to click on boats with guns instead of using the torpedoes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When I kill a bunch of Tones in my Hipper, do I win a Tone award?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Danann posted:

Getting torpedo hits is annoyingly hard. Whenever I play low tier boats, my instinct is to click on boats with guns instead of using the torpedoes.

I think torpedo hits rely more heavily on the idiocy of the target than clever placement. I've panic-salvoed torps in fleet battles and killed an unspotted BB, and I've launched carefully-led spreads only to have the target barely comb them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

JuffoWup posted:

Soo, picked up the repulse in that steam thing and I haven't decided on the ship. Mostly because all I have seen are 4v4 and 5v5s. And neither are very fun at night. That said, I did see why you guys enjoy the ship in my last game. Got into knife fights with a pair of DDs. I walked away without taking any damage from either. One just unloaded all his torps at close range, and yet I still was able to weave it around them all. I blame this on the fact it is a battlecruiser so not as lumbering as a typical battleship.

However, with all that said, I'm still mixed on the game in general. The player base is just so god awful small that you get really unfun match ups. And that isn't even getting into the ccg captain thing.

The Repulse is particularly nice during Super Kita days because its fast enough not to easily get cornered by the Kita and the secondaries can pen him. Regardless of whether you 'win' the match or not, you can unload an immense amount of damage on him, and when combined with the bonus for using a premium ship you can get tons of silver.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Any advice for using the Fletcher? Guns are a letdown and I'm still in the process of leveling up Luckner and mass to get more scouting range.

DCs are nice though. Given that subs are pretty abundant at tier 8 I can see myself having a lot of fun with it.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I think torpedo hits rely more heavily on the idiocy of the target than clever placement. I've panic-salvoed torps in fleet battles and killed an unspotted BB, and I've launched carefully-led spreads only to have the target barely comb them.

Night battles even at higher tiers seem to be the the one place where this isn't true, and I'm thankful every time one comes up and I'm in a destroyer. I had a Somers game earlier today and a Shiratsyu yesterday that were perfect night battles, with 8k+ damage via torps and a hit rate of >50% with them.

I know you are aware, but for newer folks, torps as area denial or for forcing enemy ships to maneuver rather than shoot are still very useful even at higher tiers. This is especially true on maps with terrain which will both hide you and your torps until it's too late. May as well use them for that in battles where subs aren't present.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had a pubby accuse me of using Gold Ammo after I dunked him twice in a competition match in my Agincourt.

No, pubby, no gold ammo, just gold-plated toilets. :allears:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Any advice for using the Fletcher? Guns are a letdown and I'm still in the process of leveling up Luckner and mass to get more scouting range.

DCs are nice though. Given that subs are pretty abundant at tier 8 I can see myself having a lot of fun with it.

Use a lot of smoke and try to use your torpdoes. Fletcher is fast and low and generally hard to hit. You've got 6 torpedoes on the other t8s so if you can get into their smoke cloud you can sometimes trap them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I killed a Yamato with the Surcouf's cannon.

I am complete.

• Locked thread