Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Scut posted:

This is still getting polished off but I thought someone might like to see how I'm roughing out my animations now.

I get a serious Beyonce vibe from this little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

im to the stage of "moving a single pixel back and forth" so I think this one needs to take a break

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Inspired by my previous post, since it wasn't actually pixel art.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

COOL CORN posted:

Inspired by my previous post, since it wasn't actually pixel art.

hang in there little buddy!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I have a cat and that tail-wag is spot-on. Thanks for the pick-me-ups! Yeah, I guess it's all practice, practice and some more practice.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There will always be someone better than you. And someone better than that person. Just be better than the you from yesterday. That's enough of a battle as it is!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

12/12 classes done! I'm pretty pleased with everything so far, I think each one is pretty easily recognizable and distinguishable from one another - next step is to make opposite genders for each.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

animation is hard...

McKilligan posted:

12/12 classes done! I'm pretty pleased with everything so far, I think each one is pretty easily recognizable and distinguishable from one another - next step is to make opposite genders for each.
these are still very rad

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I made a little health bar that still needs refining, but I'm quite happy with it as a first go!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Workin on some Ornstein. I guess I'll have to make Smough MASSIVE :btroll:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Workin on some Ornstein. I guess I'll have to make Smough MASSIVE :btroll:

I really love the subpixel detail in this one, the only thing I want to say is his arm seem too awkwardly far from his side, it's not a really natural standing pose.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Heyy, check it out! Gender Equality!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Amazing. Although I'm not sure what's physically going on with the female orc's instrument.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

MikeJF posted:

Amazing. Although I'm not sure what's physically going on with the female orc's instrument.
The strap's facing the viewer, the instrument's front (i.e.- the strings) are facing away. I'll admit it's a little hard to tell, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I see. It's a little hard to tell that that's the strap and not part of the instrument - you might want to vary the colour slightly more on it.

(Also I reckon you should've given her a beehive hairdo, but I just love the look on the male one so much)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Dear thread, I am emailing back to someone who wants pixel art for his tower defense / shooter but his budget is just north of zero. Regardless of whether or not he can hire me, I want to show him examples of good low-spec art from other games or mockups. Please post your favourites, even if they are not top-down view.

I think this is the lowest spec I've done in a recent tiled set:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Scut posted:

Dear thread, I am emailing back to someone who wants pixel art for his tower defense / shooter but his budget is just north of zero. Regardless of whether or not he can hire me, I want to show him examples of good low-spec art from other games or mockups. Please post your favourites, even if they are not top-down view.

I think this is the lowest spec I've done in a recent tiled set:

I always wondered; how exactly do you decide your colours? You have a good grasp on colour theory, im still using the same old colours!

Replayed a bit of Advance Wars: Duel Strike recently and remembered why i loved it's graphic style, so tried to crib a bit from it:

(Size is x4, tile size is 16x16)

Not great but i really liked the simplistic style AW went with, so tried to go with that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Ash Crimson posted:

I always wondered; how exactly do you decide your colours? You have a good grasp on colour theory, im still using the same old colours!

Replayed a bit of Advance Wars: Duel Strike recently and remembered why i loved it's graphic style, so tried to crib a bit from it:

(Size is x4, tile size is 16x16)

Not great but i really liked the simplistic style AW went with, so tried to go with that.

I think you want the background to have a less saturated or more pastel-like palette so the sprites pop out a bit more:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ash Crimson posted:

In the case of the last pic I posted, I made my own 'expanded CGA' palette. I took my favourite colours from the various CGA sets and stuck them into a single palette.

A lot of the colour theory classes from my early design education came back to me when I got more serious about pixel art. I would recommend doing some colour theory tutorials and exercises (gotta be various articles online) and apply them to work you've already done. That way you are not spending effort on the drawing, you are just paying attention to the colours and grasping how to use them to good effect.

For instance, in that Advance Wars homage you posted, you have assigned the terrain with colours that are just as saturated and intense (in some cases moreso) than the units. This is telling the unconscious human eye that the terrain is of equal importance to the sprites.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I havent worked this week at all but I did a load last week?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
For something I'm working on, I'm at a point where I could easily pivot between sprites + normal maps or those same sprites expressed as voxels. Is there a preferred voxel editor or had everyone just been faking it in minecraft blender this whole time?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think Magica Voxel is quite popular.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Scut posted:

I think Magica Voxel is quite popular.

Oh no, this tool is great. Now I'm going to be a filthy voxel user.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know of a simple tool I can use to automatically attempt to convert an image into a provided pallete?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know of a simple tool I can use to automatically attempt to convert an image into a provided pallete?

In what sense? Like an index based palette swap, or taking a full color image and doing a closest-match to a given palette? I believe that Graphics Gale can do both of those.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In what sense? Like an index based palette swap, or taking a full color image and doing a closest-match to a given palette? I believe that Graphics Gale can do both of those.

The latter, but I'll probably end up doing the former if it doesn't work well. I want to take some existing pixel art and put it into the Pebble Time palette.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

MikeJF posted:

The latter, but I'll probably end up doing the former if it doesn't work well. I want to take some existing pixel art and put it into the Pebble Time palette.

Aseprite can do that well with the replace color tool.

This Vector Chimera thing looks promising too, and is free. Haven't used it yet, but it looks to be made specifically for doing palette swaps on sprites.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

Aseprite can do that well with the replace color tool.

This Vector Chimera thing looks promising too, and is free. Haven't used it yet, but it looks to be made specifically for doing palette swaps on sprites.

Yeah you alt click the original colour, change your second colour to the one you want and hit shift+R. Super handy.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm at my first game jam!

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Scut posted:

I'm at my first game jam!

I would pet that goat

it was mothers day and I forgot to buy a card :v:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

I make these guys at work when I'm bored. They're all either original charters or people I know. The challenge is to make them as small as possible while still being recognizable.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

These are cool, keep making them.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I ran into Kenny during TOJam, the guy making Sky Rogue, he asked me to make him these pixel art sprites of brewing ingredients for his jam game. I used the Erstus16 palette.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Those looks sweet as heck, and now I'm interested because brewing/crafting stuff in games is totally my thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those are are really nice looking.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can find the game here:
https://nihilocrat.itch.io/alewife

I tried to apply good clustering on these sprites. Castpixel's art is a great reference for master class clustering.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Amazing plants! Wanna play that game.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Ruho in 98 mode:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
how long does a piece like that take you to make, approximately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
That one took about 3-4 hours, since it's so much smaller than pieces like Emma or the pig kemonomimi Liza (each of those took around 9 hours).