Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Everyone's happy then the universe quietly ends due to Lord English.

Roll credits.
I think I hit the mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
My immediate reaction, by the way, was "Finally! Homestuck is, at last, an anime."

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

tentative8e8op posted:

why do all my favorite stories keep doing this to me?

that post was meant to be a joke :negative:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GeneX posted:

My immediate reaction, by the way, was "Finally! Homestuck is, at last, an anime."

like all anime it disappointed me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm staking my bet that Hussie is screwing with the readership one last time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm starting to think you guys are just really bad at the whole "reading" thing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm going to go re-read homestuck

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And thus concludes the world's longest internet prank.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Regy Rusty posted:

I guess my problem is that my primary reason I forgave Act 6 for its failings was that it did a really good job of setting up Lord English as an antagonist I cared about seeing defeated

And then this happened

Yeah, this might've worked as a type of ending if it had happened very shortly into Act 6, since things were relatively well-tied-up after Cascade. If things had streamlined further toward an ending from there and we got something like this, it might've worked. But Act 6 kept expanding and adding more and now we're flooded with loose ends and question and stories that went nowhere. And "Lots of speculation"/"Those never really mattered" is not a satisfying answer.

What happened to Vriska and the other living characters (Aradia, Davepeta, maybe Sollux) who were fighting Lord English? I didn't see them in the new world, did they not survive fighting LE? Did the icon summon the kids as we expected and they fought him? What happened to the ghosts, did the dream bubbles die when the Green Sun became a black hole and started sucking them in? We don't see any of the sprites in that new world either, did they survive the end of the game? What happened to the consorts from the Beta session, Casey and the like? Why haven't Kanaya and Karkat restarted the Troll race?

Until now, Homestuck has been a story that has answered these kinds of questions, spinning out threads and bringing things back, tying them together and encouraging us to explore the various mysteries which will be revealed in time. An ending which says "Actually, all those deferred climaxes and answers aren't important after all" is not in keeping with the spirit of the rest of the story.

I have to say, Hussie's either making a Mass Effect 3 style misjudgement about his audience and his own story, or else he really is burned out and the game is kicking his rear end, needed Homestuck to end and didn't trust himself to write a normal ending without spinning it out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I said ages ago that Hussie had checked out! Wow, I was right

The sad thing is that until this I really didn't think it was true

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tunicate posted:

I certainly hope so, he's definitely the type to even put that newspost up to gently caress with people.

[S]] Encore, please.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
That was probably the most impressively underwhelming conclusion to the most needlessly labyrinthine plot. To be honest, I'm giddy if only because I can't wait to see the fan base turn feral. :allears:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

McStephenson posted:

There's no Gigyas prayer moment, its as if we beat Pokey, saw Gigyas and got close to the moment that leads to him being defeated and then having the cartridge getting pulled from the SNES.

And stomped on.

And then every copy of Earthbound being destroyed.

Ain't no one pressing A here.

It's outstanding. Just...outstanding.

I'm experiencing such an utter lack of catharsis that it's wrapped around to it all just being released as a torrent of mildly deranged, helpless laughter.

E: Can we all agree that Cascade was the real end of this story?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Act 7
Thank you for loving "Pupkin""Homestuck".
- Andrew Hussie

and I even looked here for the real ending I was waiting for...

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

McStephenson posted:

I think the problem here is all this stuff was cool but with the way it stands the story doesn't feel resolved-

We knew, like Dolash said, that these events were going to happen, but it just FEELS like there should be another step- there should be an explanation, a twist.

For as meta as it got, there should be something transcendent here to push things further.

There's no Gigyas prayer moment, its as if we beat Pokey, saw Gigyas and got close to the moment that leads to him being defeated and then having the cartridge getting pulled from the SNES.

And stomped on.

And then every copy of Earthbound being destroyed.

Dammit, I'm quoting myself because I WANT MY VOICE HEARD

Tunicate posted:

Also this, absolutely. Please? Yeah? Can this happen?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Calliope destroyed the Green Sun and a great deal of Paradox Space in the process but not everything was destroyed because Lord English had already excised himself out of space-time by screaming that ring.

If anything what I'm most disappointed by is the lack of a twist or another up to the ante? It just ended on a plateau. It was pretty, though.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

WAR FOOT posted:

you have bad opinions, sorry

Because ultimately it was not the story of Calliope's grand cosmic saga, it was the story of some kids part in Calliope's grand cosmic saga, but in their part they got some glimpses of that greater struggle.

It was a story about some kids playing a game to create a universe. But it was always also a Gnostic story as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Filthy Haiku posted:

That was probably the most impressively underwhelming conclusion to the most needlessly labyrinthine plot. To be honest, I'm giddy if only because I can't wait to see the fan base turn feral. :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

GeneX posted:

Ain't no one pressing A here.

It's outstanding. Just...outstanding.

I'm experiencing such an utter lack of catharsis that it's wrapped around to it all just being released as a torrent of mildly deranged, helpless laughter.

E: Can we all agree that Cascade was the real end of this story?

So basically this.

(She just starts laughing towards the end too)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Boarded in 2012. :sbahj: I'm curious to see what Hussie ends up writing about the ending.

Ultimately, I'm happy that Homestuck existed. It's like a modern The Thief And The Cobbler.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dolash posted:

What happened to Vriska and the other living characters (Aradia, Davepeta, maybe Sollux) who were fighting Lord English? I didn't see them in the new world, did they not survive fighting LE? Did the icon summon the kids as we expected and they fought him? What happened to the ghosts, did the dream bubbles die when the Green Sun became a black hole and started sucking them in? We don't see any of the sprites in that new world either, did they survive the end of the game? What happened to the consorts from the Beta session, Casey and the like? Why haven't Kanaya and Karkat restarted the Troll race?

When in this grand timeline of a happy ending did John snap everyone over to Caliborn to fight him? How did the Alpha kids get back from there with John sealed in the juju? What did the juju do? If it summoned the Beta kids like we supposed, how did they get back from the Furthest Ring to New Earth? And if they could get back from there why didn't Vriska, Aradia, Davepeta and Sollux come with them? What ended up happening to all the ghosts?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man it'd be great if this was just a large-scale psycheout but i am not gonna get my hopes up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

Yeah, this might've worked as a type of ending if it had happened very shortly into Act 6, since things were relatively well-tied-up after Cascade. If things had streamlined further toward an ending from there and we got something like this, it might've worked. But Act 6 kept expanding and adding more and now we're flooded with loose ends and question and stories that went nowhere. And "Lots of speculation"/"Those never really mattered" is not a satisfying answer.

Mhmm. If all that matters was that a universe got created then why did we need Lord English and Act 6 at all? Escalate the conflict at the end of Act 5 instead, wrap it up, Homestuck is done 4 years ago.

There were so many new plot elements introduced in Act 6 that to have them unresolved doesn't make any sense to me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

For the true ending, play Hiveswap™

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Tunicate posted:

This would be the most amazingly ballsy gamble of all time but I can't help but feel that's exactly something hussie would do.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

John: Rose, I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?
Rose: It's an ending, that's enough.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
In classic Homestuck fashion, Vriska steals the spotlight and ruins everything.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I always wondered if Hussie would do a "stealth update" where it was hidden somewhere on the site, but that seemed really stupid...especially for an ending

Pretty sure this is it though. Maybe it's better this way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Enourmo posted:

man it'd be great if this was just a large-scale psycheout but i am not gonna get my hopes up
The real purpose of Homestuck was to create a desperate cult based around this idea

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Getting a 404 on my MSPA UserCP.

:allears:

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
I'm simply too old for this poo poo.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

So Math posted:

Ultimately, I'm happy that Homestuck existed. It's like a modern The Thief And The Cobbler.

Oh man, this is so true, but I'm not okay with my deep down ache for that to finish out how DEEP it felt, and resolve.

this is the same thing now though, isn't it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Homestuck is trending on Twitter and oh boy.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ANIME

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Because ultimately it was not the story of Calliope's grand cosmic saga, it was the story of some kids part in Calliope's grand cosmic saga, but in their part they got some glimpses of that greater struggle.

It was a story about some kids playing a game to create a universe. But it was always also a Gnostic story as well.

Yeah, pretty much.

Everyone screaming at the ending must enjoy throwing their heads at brick walls: this was always the kind of ending Homestuck was going to have. It has eschewed standard narrative structures from the very beginning, and to expect it to conform to them at the very end is misguided to say the least.

Unlike the Mass Effect 3 ending people keep quoting, which was disappointing because it betrayed what had come before, this one is disappointing to many because it stayed close to what it was when people wanted something else. :shrug:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Goddamnit, Hussie, you once said "Think of any ending that would be terrible: not that" to assuage concerns that you were just going to time loop this poo poo and end with the beginning. This ambiguous ending even leaves that open since John doesn't quuuiiiite seem to open the door and so much poo poo is going down with Caliborn and Lord English and the Green Sun that hey maaaayyyyybe he actually did win and collapse the timeline? Or everything's caught in a big goddamn loop? Who knows? Who knows

What have I do with my life

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm really not sure whether to feel sad or happy about this. I guess it's better than no ending at all, but man. I'm not sure that Hussie could have written an ending that lived up to the story that came before it, but it could have been more satisfying than that. Jeez.

Maybe someday someone will chop it down. Cut out the excess, make the good stuff the focus again. Homestuck: The Next Generation. At least we got a happy ending of a sort, I always prefer those.

You know what? I choose to be happy about this. could have been better, better than nothing. Disappointing, but I'm still glad I got to be a part of it.

Thanks for Playing, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

At first I was disappointed, but I guess I'm fine with this. An open-ended ending is fine. It's fine.

And I guess the big picture is that Homestuck was a thing that gave me many hours of enjoyment. So, thanks, Andrew Hussie.

I do hope, though, after Hussie recovered from burnout in a few years, we get some author's commentary on the whole thing.