Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i hope this mythical epilogue will actually have dialogue
that was real reason i ever liked this ride to start with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think I could do another Hussiework after this. Even with the game, which I've paid for, I don't want to follow its development and if it's released in two parts or more I (at least currently) don't want to play it until it's entirely out. I know Problem Sleuth was a vastly different, smaller and less complex work but I thought it showed his commitment to bringing everything together and delivering a complete ending rather than a LOST-style shrug-and-give-up. Up through Act 5 Hussie kept upending expectations, whenever the story looked like it might be getting out of hand he deftly brought it back together up to Cascade which managed to tie all the chaos of that Act up nice and neat. Something broke during Act 6, and with the long pauses he did not put the pieces back together.

I don't even recognize him in this anymore. McStephenson linked that earlier flash and yeah, the difference is night and day. Even though the animation in the ending was impressive, it doesn't have Hussie's prior zeal or drive. Heck not much of anything since updates recently resumed has shown that earlier Homestuck spark, we've just been going through the motions of things that were set up immediately after the Retcon and they led to their eventual, "obvious" conclusion with no real twists or surprises. Even Collide was deferring a lot of important material to this update.

It's just not the Homestuck I remember anymore.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

GeneX posted:

God loving dammit, Andrew

It's not over

it's never over

thatonepictureofthemspaintguyandthestump.jpg

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I thought I was finally free.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
also whoever was talking about the ME3 ending, I have spent way too much time arguing about it, so I can safely say that:

a)they are in fact quite comparable
but
b) homestuck comes out slightly ahead, mostly do to strength of presentation, imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dolash posted:

I don't think I could do another Hussiework after this. Even with the game, which I've paid for, I don't want to follow its development and if it's released in two parts or more I (at least currently) don't want to play it until it's entirely out. I know Problem Sleuth was a vastly different, smaller and less complex work but I thought it showed his commitment to bringing everything together and delivering a complete ending rather than a LOST-style shrug-and-give-up. Up through Act 5 Hussie kept upending expectations, whenever the story looked like it might be getting out of hand he deftly brought it back together up to Cascade which managed to tie all the chaos of that Act up nice and neat. Something broke during Act 6, and with the long pauses he did not put the pieces back together.

I don't even recognize him in this anymore. McStephenson linked that earlier flash and yeah, the difference is night and day. Even though the animation in the ending was impressive, it doesn't have Hussie's prior zeal or drive. Heck not much of anything since updates recently resumed has shown that earlier Homestuck spark, we've just been going through the motions of things that were set up immediately after the Retcon and they led to their eventual, "obvious" conclusion with no real twists or surprises. Even Collide was deferring a lot of important material to this update.

I unironically agree with this.

Act 6 really feels like a second season that lost the magic of the first.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dolash posted:

I don't think I could do another Hussiework after this. Even with the game, which I've paid for, I don't want to follow its development and if it's released in two parts or more I (at least currently) don't want to play it until it's entirely out.

You don't want to, but you will. You don't spill multiparagraph posts over something you don't care about

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I honestly doubt that there will be an epilogue. The wishy-washyness of the statement just seems like it's trying to be a balm to anger, so Homestuck will fall from collective memory. There'll still be fans who believe Firefly will get renewed Homestuck will be finished, but for now, it's vaporware

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

e: i should have refreshed because i missed a page

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well of course the ending had to be vague. After all, all ships are canon :v:.

I really hope Hiveswap tidies a few loose ends somehow though.

E: well an epilogue might be something. See you in three years?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 13, 2016

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Dolash posted:

ryan north knew

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

You guys want to hear a funny joke

The conclusion to Karkat's arc was beating Clover

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean I guess I can pretty much figure out what happened with Caliborn and Lord English from context, but it feels like kind of a cheat to not get to see it. I'dve probably traded Collide in its entirety just to see the confrontations with Caliborn and Lord English in not-Claymation-mode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blackheart posted:

The ride never ends

I WANT TO GET OFF MR HUSSIES WILD RIDE

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Well, we got Undertale out of this, so it was all worth it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Daius posted:

where do you think cherubs come from

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, cool, one upside to the ending, my favorite too-long webcomic is 8 Bit Theater again.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I guess that's the end. Not very satisfying. I would've been okay with waiting a little longer if they needed more time to tie up loose ends.

Game could be good, but I don't have high hopes after all the poo poo it went through. I guess I'm finally done with Homestuck.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The conclusion to Jade's arc was getting punched in the face

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I honestly think you're delusional if you're hanging out for a further epilogue.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Daius posted:

well thats not unimpressive, given what Clover does

but like

there was all that poo poo pointing to his whole deal being completely un-martial in nature and more of a leader of men/trolls that just got dropped in a heap. so i dunno man. i want there to be an epilogue and i also dont want there to be an epilogue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Daius posted:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dolash posted:

Okay, I think I posted here a handful of times and I didn't think too hard about Homestuck for as long as you guys (gently caress, I forgot huge chunks of it, I just kinda HAD to see it ending), but to me it was kinda evident Hussie stretched himself WAY too thin between a way too convoluted narrative mess and other projects. These last two years were the guy running on fumes, and if anything I hope this makes for a valuable lesson on ambition and the necessity of editing, even if it is self-editing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having thought about it for a while, I think the ending was perfect; it was the things before it that didn't tie into it properly and made the ending land wrong. There were too many plot threads left dangling, and so when I was supposed to be feeling awe, I was mostly feeling dread, waiting for the other shoe to drop. If we hadn't been left wondering about things like "so when and why do they fight Caliborn" or "wasn't the batterwitch supposed to be immortal? Is Roxy the new handmaid?" then this could have been the video that untied that last knot. As it is, I feel like I'm still tied up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
remember how cool Hivebent was

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Basically all the magic, mojo and creative zeal was vampired out of Hussie by Toby, to make Undertale, something magnitudes better and that accomplished more in 4 hours than homestuck did in 7 years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is the epilogue going to be in sbahj form

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
The real update is that Hussie found a way to retcon real time, our true selves are in the timeline where the ending was good and we are all enjoying it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Having thought about it for a while, I think the ending was perfect; it was the things before it that didn't tie into it properly and made the ending land wrong. There were too many plot threads left dangling, and so when I was supposed to be feeling awe, I was mostly feeling dread, waiting for the other shoe to drop. If we hadn't been left wondering about things like "so when and why do they fight Caliborn" or "wasn't the batterwitch supposed to be immortal? Is Roxy the new handmaid?" then this could have been the video that untied that last knot. As it is, I feel like I'm still tied up.

hahahahaha

I have been saying since we resumed updating

that it feels rushed and hollow, and everyone kept saying "Don't worry, it'll all get tied up!"

i don't even want to say i told you so. :(

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Dolash posted:

Poison Mushroom posted:

I unironically agree with this.

Act 6 really feels like a second season that lost the magic of the first.

Yeah, this really does feel terrible and trusting in him to knowingly wink, thumb his nose and do something awesome had always happened before, so for it not to land here is just... wrong.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Well, we got Undertale out of this, so it was all worth it!

And you know what? I loved the poo poo out of that game. I will take Toby Fox as one of the great things to come out of Homestuck. Gotta find the wins, right?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Ross Angeles posted:

remember how cool Hivebent was

Nothing set up in Hivebent mattered because it all ended up being irrelevant, the only thing you take away from it all is Gamzee was a lovely clown and everything works out perfectly for Vriska

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

I don't even recognize him in this anymore.

There was an insane conspiracy theory complete with red circles around screen caps of dialog from different parts of the comic that was popular on 4chan that claimed that at some point in act six hussie completely stopped writing for the comic and someone else was ghostwriting it.

I don't think it's true but it'd be a nice clean explanation for the comics dive off a cliff.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/570ddac6e2ec0-homestuck-mash-up-here.php

It syncs surprisingly well for this anime bullshit.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
What I got from this is that the superweapon Vriska had was just the door the Alpha/Beta/Main kids were about to open, pointed directly at Lord English, and John absolutely kicked his rear end.

I'm okay with that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Daius posted:

Nothing set up in Hivebent mattered because it all ended up being irrelevant, the only thing you take away from it all is Gamzee was a lovely clown and everything works out perfectly for Vriska

yeah but Make Her Pay was cool as hell

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
We'll never be free. Someone wake me up in 6/12 or 11/11 or whatever else is an arc date.

For whatever it's worth, I loved the animation itself and liked that Can Town became an actual thing? :unsmith: I feel neither excited nor upset, and unless that mystical epilogue ever comes through I'll just take what I can get from broad implications and a happy ending for the lilypad group.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Dolash, when was the moment when you began to dislike this comic? Because I feel like you have been posting in these threads, angrily, for a long time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I don't think it's true but it'd be a nice clean explanation for the comics dive off a cliff.

The comic didn't dive off a cliff, though. There were high-quality scenes all the way up to the end. The long-awaited Striderchat was amazing, and I was really impressed by things like Kanaya's reflection on her conversation with Echidna or John's interaction with Jake.

The thing that was missing was the way that all the elements actually knitted together, like they did for Cascade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Daius posted:

The conclusion to Jade's arc was getting punched in the face

people don't have arcs
--dave