Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dolash posted:

I spent it uneasily realizing it was going to be one of those very pretty endings that don't advance or resolve anything at all and uneasily glancing at the last update button, praying it would be something significant.

This ending has really made me appreciate Undertale as The Better Homestuck, since it managed to be succinct and tightly plotted with an actual satisfying ending that didn't feel the need to duck out on actually delivering.

Undertale is loving awesome and I'm not gonna fight you on that, but

I still respect the journey of Homestuck, I don't like the idea that the ending can cancel how you felt about the journey, which is much more important. The months that you spent talking about the puzzle of HS is in itself is worth it, so even in the absence of total explanations for the conclusion, I'm pretty happy with this sendoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

i really thought there was gonna be more until I clicked the arrow.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aside from a few well-worded exceptions, the thread's been mostly pointless bitterness.

Hey, this describes most long-running threads in SA, let's be fair.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Remember the entire narrative involving Doc Scratch, Jack Noir, and Vriska, and how that culminated to the most epicly sad sequence ever. Holy Jeesus

"While I continue to not be a gambling man... if I was, I wouldnt bet against her" was one of those moments in the comic that makes the entire thing worthwhile

i legitimately enjoyed it right up to the last minute. the end just feels like the car died inches from the finish line.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I think the most important thing in that maybe-future-happy-world-maybe-just-a-vision part is that Jade still has her cute dog ears :colbert:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like there is a difference between not liking and just a circle of pointless bitterness based more on pre-existent bad feelings than whatever is actually there.

Aside from a few well-worded exceptions, the thread's been mostly pointless bitterness. :shrug:
This ending to a:
  • comic that ran seven years
  • with over 800,000 words
  • and over 4 hours of flashes
had an ending that only resolved things on the highest level, in that they won Sburb. Few of the characters had resolution, and it's not even clear who's alive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

net cafe scandal posted:

[S] Jade: Enter was at least 100000000000000000000000000000x better than [S] ACT 7

make her pay was better and that only resolved the side plot of hivebent

gently caress, remember Descend? how so much poo poo got wrapped up so neatly and giving characterization without words? and tied so many storylines together? that was a better ending to a thing than act 7

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

readingatwork posted:

I thought the final animation was gorgeous and really liked it. Not exactly sure what happened with young Lord English though. Anyone figured that out yet? It felt like something went terribly wrong and Lord English may not be as dead as we think thanks to the clock breaking or something.

:speculate:

Basically all we know/can say is Caliborn became invincible, then for some reason unexplained the kids don't go through the door but warp to him stead and fight him leading to Caliborn's Masterpiece (which is confusing as gently caress, because the Icon that Vriska deployed turned into the door the kids appeared to be about to go through). The beta kids are trapped in the Icon, Vriska deploys it and they're released, they fight Lord English and presumably beat him, then they go fetch the Alpha kids and everyone goes through the door For Real Now (except apparently not Vriska/Aradia/Sollux/Davepeta or any of the ghosts?) and go live on Earth.

Or

Maybe Lord English/Caliborn did something and stopped that from happening, and the timeline collapsed? We don't know!

gently caress

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I know this might be a stunning revelation, but people venting their bad feelings about something is actually good for mental health, even if they're poorly written!

It's cathartic. Also, people that post along the lines of "Hahaha, look at these fuckin' plebs not liking something" are pretty bad, too!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Enourmo posted:

gently caress, remember Descend? how so much poo poo got wrapped up so neatly and giving characterization without words? and tied so many storylines together? that was a better ending to a thing than act 7

Decend is my favorite animation in Homestuck, period. Best song, best animation (other than this insanely awesome anime poo poo), it's the best, in style and pacing

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I can't believe I'm delurking SA for this lovely post.

I think Lord English blinked out the everything. But because the kids successfully created a new universe, they got to spend an immortal eternity in that universe (which, it was established, exists within the frog from beginning to end) with their happy ending despite Caliborn blocking them from entering in conventional causality. They had the happy ending, because when they created the new universe, they were already there.

Still pretty underwhelmed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hello again Homestuck thread. It's been a long time.

Well, it was pretty. As I watched, I interpreted it as an unhappy conclusion. The globe in Jade's hand represented their hopes for the new universe, but it was never actualized. Thanks to Vriska, the other side of the Sburb logo opens not into the next universe like it should have, but instead opens directly into Lord English's attack. The clock is destroyed, and there is no coming back for them. The Masterpiece was either entirely a red herring, or already occurred in some other timeline branch and doesn't need to be enacted again by this specific iteration of the kids in order to secure the time loop. I'm not sure what the exact result of the Green Sun collapsing into a black hole was but it was too little too late for our heroes.

Caliborn, the avatar of the negative side of the Homestuck readership, has achieved total victory. The author became so tired of putting up with his own creation that he chose to put a bullet in it.

The end.

:kheldragar:

Or maybe it all worked out happily and the kids emerged from the juju to defeat Lord English through some unknowable means, Vriska chose the Right Thing To Do for the first time ever, and Caliborn's anime victory howl was all for nothing. I generally interpret a refusal to show an ending as an implied Bad End, but don't stop believin'.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The final ==> arrow was like if you had the entire run of a series on VHS tapes but someone had taped over the final casette with a 50s documentary about sand

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Descend is loving cool, and so is Seer: Ascend, and everything else in A5A2.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Dolash posted:

Maybe Lord English/Caliborn did something and stopped that from happening, and the timeline collapsed? We don't know!

gently caress

Dammit Dolash, you know it's this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dias posted:

Hey, this describes most long-running threads in SA, let's be fair.

Point, set and match.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

Hello again Homestuck thread. It's been a long time.

Well, it was pretty. As I watched, I interpreted it as an unhappy conclusion. The globe in Jade's hand represented their hopes for the new universe, but it was never actualized. Thanks to Vriska, the other side of the Sburb logo opens not into the next universe like it should have, but instead opens directly into Lord English's attack. The clock is destroyed, and there is no coming back for them. The Masterpiece was either entirely a red herring, or already occurred in some other timeline branch and doesn't need to be enacted again by this specific iteration of the kids in order to secure the time loop. I'm not sure what the exact result of the Green Sun collapsing into a black hole was but it was too little too late for our heroes.

Caliborn, the avatar of the negative side of the Homestuck readership, has achieved total victory. The author became so tired of putting up with his own creation that he chose to put a bullet in it.

The end.

:kheldragar:

Or maybe it all worked out happily and the kids emerged from the juju to defeat Lord English through some unknowable means, Vriska chose the Right Thing To Do for the first time ever, and Caliborn's anime victory howl was all for nothing. I generally interpret a refusal to show an ending as an implied Bad End, but don't stop believin'.

It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

Although that is more of a Sopranos ending, really.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

"While I continue to not be a gambling man... if I was, I wouldnt bet against her" was one of those moments in the comic that makes the entire thing worthwhile

i legitimately enjoyed it right up to the last minute. the end just feels like the car died inches from the finish line.

The mere possibility that Vriska could have beaten Jack... Goose bumps.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
remember when John died on his quest bed and everyone flipped their loving poo poo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

Can someone with thick skin very delicately explain to me what happened to Lord English.

Big LE is likely dead. Caliborne used a black hole to suck up the green sun and kill his powers. Vriska summoned the thing young LE used to kill the kids and steal their souls to finish him off. Not sure what was up with young LE

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
The ending should have been more disturbing SAW/Muppet babies comics that had nothing to do with anything

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I don't see how theres any support for the idea that LE won or did anything that made things work out for him. quite clearly the young caliborn/clock stuff is the origin story of exactly the moment when caliborn became LE, a moment that was previously only implied. it takes place far earlier than the confrontation w/ the ghost army, which is when the beta kids come out of the icon and murder LE due to the fact that Calliope deleted the Green Sun and thus, his source of power

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Portals posted:

Just popping in to say it's over (yaaay) and anyone who expected a tidy ending that resolved everything probably didn't read Problem Sleuth.

This is literally the opposite of a thing that is true to the point that I assume you are trolling. Problem Sleuth ended with a full epilogue that showed what was going on with all the minor characters and left no question that the boss was defeated. Hell there was even more narration.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Daius posted:

The final ==> arrow was like if you had the entire run of a series on VHS tapes but someone had taped over the final casette with a 50s documentary about sand

Yo 50s documentaries about sand are loving fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYh0f1CPuc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elysiume posted:

This ending to a:
  • comic that ran seven years
  • with over 800,000 words
  • and over 4 hours of flashes
had an ending that only resolved things on the highest level, in that they won Sburb. Few of the characters had resolution, and it's not even clear who's alive.

Except a lot had been resolved already, people just ignored it/didn't like it.

I mean, that was the entire thing on the lilypads. That was it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Dias posted:

It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

Although that is more of a Sopranos ending, really.

i made that joke before we even saw the ending.

I have never been so sad to be right.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Aren't you excited? Aren't you happy? You're free.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Act 6 was all the characters being stuck on Namek for years fighting mooks and then Act 7 was the first minute of the Frieza stuff followed by static

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

The mere possibility that Vriska could have beaten Jack... Goose bumps.

i think whats really scorching me about the resolution to her arc is that you have characters in the story saying, effectively HEY BEATING LORD ENGLISH WONT MAKE HER HAPPY! SHES A MESS YALL

and then that dreadful conversation with her ghost where she just screams bitter abuse at herself, and it all felt like it was leading somewhere besides "oh, i guess she wins?"

Spellman
May 31, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Descend is loving cool, and so is Seer: Ascend, and everything else in A5A2.

Really do love that one, but I think the real adversary for Decend is: Jade: Enter

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

remember when John died on his quest bed and everyone flipped their loving poo poo

I remember that. THat was amazing

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
people don't have arcs

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I was just rewatching some of the old flashes people reposted in here, and my girlfriend walks up behind me and goes:

Post Poste posted:

Going back to the striptease after the wet, sloppy handjob?

and it was pretty much the perfect reaction.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

counterargument: they're not people, they're fictional characters in a story read by people

I think my favorite panel in Homestuck is Davesprite, facing down the monsters. Caw caw, motherfuckers.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Yo 50s documentaries about sand are loving fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYh0f1CPuc

You're right this is unironically better than Act 7

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this is my fav flash

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except a lot had been resolved already, people just ignored it/didn't like it.

I mean, that was the entire thing on the lilypads. That was it.

Here are some things that were not resolved:

-What happened to everyone that was fighting Lord English, both the ghosts and the alive characters?
-What happened to the sprites?
-Was Caliborn defeated as was prophecized in is Masterpiece, and did it go down the same way?
-Why did the kids decide to go fight Caliborn instead of going through the door?
-Did they defeat Lord English, and were there casualties?
-What happened to the ghosts and the dream bubbles (and the Horror Terrors while we're at it, why not)?
-Did they restart the troll race, and how did that work out?
-Are the kids immortal gods? Do they just live on that world now with chess people?

Also, a lot of the later and final character beats were wordless, like Jade reuniting with everyone, and important reunions like Vriska and Terezi post Remember Me also never happened. John hugging dad was nice but it was already weird that he didn't hug Jane and we didn't get one word of dialogue surrounding that situation. This was an entirely character and dialogue driven comic so abandoning those things at the end for all the last and most critical meetings was mind-boggling. It's one thing to say "Okay all relationships are totally canon maybe somewhere in the infinite dream bubbles", but even the shippers probably wanted to know things like "How will Jade take the news that Dave and Karkat are an item?" and one of Dave's last lines was a question to Dirk about how to break that news. There's all kinds of directions for disappointment here.

The lilypad scenes were important, but they still only took us most of the way. The last steps were important, and were fumbled.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

counterargument: they're not people, they're fictional characters in a story read by people

I think my favorite panel in Homestuck is Davesprite, facing down the monsters. Caw caw, motherfuckers.

yeah but its a postmodern and borderline self-aware story and the line "people don't have arcs" came from the character whos personality is closest to the author so i think it deserves to be taken seriously

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

people don't have arcs

No, but, like, they have endings. Unlike Homestuck, seemingly, which just had the equivalent of a guy waving his hands and going 'like.. y'know, stuff'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Homestuck is over, perfectly ended by becoming the anime it always wanted to be, and now I get to bet how many more pages of bitter invective are left before some people get it out of their system. I'm betting 80.