Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

That's what Silvers face is gonna look like after I punch it four or five hundred times or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

trump is an outsider :shepicide:

Trump is sort of at the intersection of 'tea party' and 'moderate' if you think about it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

rscott posted:

And who would benefit even more if the whole thing was privatized like they talked about a while back

It's the only way they'll ever get the average consumer to voluntarily ship packages through UPS

Pay twice as much as the post office for a package that is half as likely to get there? No thanks! The free market is retarded.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

538 talks alpha males vs beta males in a very special slack chat http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-you-have-to-be-manly-to-be-president/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

538 talks alpha males vs beta males in a very special slack chat http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-you-have-to-be-manly-to-be-president/

I really hope they didn't chose the most flattering keyframe to display because JFC.

Edit: On the 5-turdy-8 theme it looks like Nate is giving birth to the black baby jesus in that photo.

More edit: I watched the video. Nate is def sitting on a warm turd. Also the key frame might actually have been the best single frame in the vid.

Bip Roberts has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Apr 13, 2016

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot
What would any of the 538 writers know about being an alpha male?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bernice Anders posted:

What would any of the 538 writers know about being an alpha male?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bip Roberts posted:

I really hope they didn't chose the most flattering keyframe to display because JFC.

Edit: On the 5-turdy-8 theme it looks like Nate is giving birth to the black baby jesus in that photo.

More edit: I watched the video. Nate is def sitting on a warm turd. Also the key frame might actually have been the best single frame in the vid.

Lol

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/720278889562562560

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gently caress, now i'm a polytheist. thanks, nate :rolleyes:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

has 538 been accurate at all this primary season

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Pollyanna posted:

No.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

They've been okay besides Michigan.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Bip Roberts posted:

They've been okay besides Michigan.

And the rise of Trump.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
To be fair, you could have made a ton of money if you managed to place a bet on either of those early on. The disappointing thing about 538 to me is that instead of using the increased resources to try and do better polling themselves they chose to just stay an aggrogator and analyzer of what they know to be flawed data while throwing up fluff conjecture articles to help fill the space and draw traffic.

It's not that they are stupid or evil but Nate and Co just chose the easy payday instead of making an attempt to improve the system.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Their punditry is pretty bad but their poll averaging and weighting stuff is fine. Errors like Michigan are mostly due to bad polling.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vox Nihili posted:

Their punditry is pretty bad but their poll averaging and weighting stuff is fine. Errors like Michigan are mostly due to bad polling.

Kind of gotta agree with this tbh and that's coming from a fan.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

their pure poll averaging and weighting is fine, their "polls plus" model is garbage

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

evilweasel posted:

their pure poll averaging and weighting is fine, their "polls plus" model is garbage

It's actually been more accurate than polls-only this cycle for Democrats

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
for democrats you can probably get pretty close just by asking "how many black people"

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

point of return posted:

for democrats you can probably get pretty close just by asking "how many black people"

True, but one thing I've seen from some media outlets (though not 538 to my knowledge) is that they just lump people together as "white" or "non-white" without breaking it down into other categories and then trying to generalize from that.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
the shitman cometh

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-is-winning-the-states-that-look-like-the-democratic-party/

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

oh lordy lordy

it starts with quibbling about which southern states are technically "deep south" (who the gently caress cares?)

then it pivots to concern trolling about "diminishing" clinton wins in states with a lot of black voters

next he insists that because miami and austin are liberal that makes it wrong to call the south the most conservative part of the country (even though it is)

after that he pivots to the diversity argument: texas, florida, nc, and virginia have similar demographics to the "obama coalition" so obviously they must represent the democratic party. nevermind that texas never elects democrats anymore and the other states are tossups at best

then he goes on to whip up a ridiculously messy chart that doesn't seem to reveal much of anything on the face of it except that clinton is up in delegates and has had high support among black voters (which we knew already)

next comes the absurd leap of logic that because clinton is winning the states that are (according to him) most like the national democratic electorate, that makes her more representative of the party as a whole. nevermind that he is being incredibly selective about his demographics (race matters, but age, income, region, and political orientation don't? why not?)

which brings us to one of the stupidest things nate has ever said

an unbiased journalist posted:

And the sort of wishful thinking Sanders is engaged in can cut both ways. Yes, Clinton’s lead would be considerably narrower (although she’d still be winning) without delegates from the Deep South. But what if you excluded delegates from caucuses, where Sanders has gained a net of 150 delegates on Clinton? Without those delegates, Sanders couldn’t even maintain the pretense of a competitive race. Not only are most of those caucus states extremely white and therefore poorly representative of Democrats’ national demographics — many of them (such as Idaho and Nebraska) are also quite red. Furthermore, caucuses tend to disenfranchise voters by making it harder to vote. Our demographic modeling suggests that this has hurt Clinton and that Sanders wouldn’t have won by the same enormous margins if those caucus states had held primaries instead.

if you're wondering what's wrong with this, just remember that the original "obama coalition" was based on winning caucus states and the minority vote, so it's pretty funny that the two have somehow become opposites now

also there's literally nothing in this entire article that actually contradicts bernie's core argument that he's mostly behind in delegates because his opponent was more popular in a specific region of the country that is known for being conservative and those states voted earlier. instead the argument is basically "see, if we ignore every other variable besides race, then all the evidence points to race being the decisive factor and bernie is just delusional/racist for saying otherwise"

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
known progressive bastion idaho

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

like seriously if you did the same chart of most/least like the national democratic average but replaced race as your variable with something like "rate of church attendance" (which is about as indicative of voter behavior as race is) the whole thing would likely either be completely upside down or just look like random noise.

this is basically an object lesson in how to cherry pick statistics to make a point you've already decided on

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Duckbag posted:

next he insists that because miami and austin are liberal that makes it wrong to call the south the most conservative part of the country (even though it is)

You can make a pretty strong case that the interior mountain West (where Sanders has dominated) is more right wing than the South.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

He mentions the disenfranchising effects of caucuses but says nothing of closed primaries, which include Florida and New York.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

He mentions the disenfranchising effects of caucuses but says nothing of closed primaries, which include Florida and New York.

I'm shocked at this, absolutely shocked.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I an still laughing at Jewel liking that bullshit diagram and thinking it's good.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Apr 20, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I an still laughing at Jewel liking that bullshit biagram and thinking it's good.

Reading all the comments/replies about how awesome that diagram is led to an unexpectedly large loss of my faith in humanity.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Apparently they can't even keep their delegate counts correct anymore either, Sanders flipped 6 delegates at the state level conventions in Missouri, Nevada and Colorado.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

rscott posted:

Apparently they can't even keep their delegate counts correct anymore either, Sanders flipped 6 delegates at the state level conventions in Missouri, Nevada and Colorado.

he didn't flip any delegates in MO, they're bound to by primary results

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-do-boys-have-wieners/

In case anybody was wondering...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I can't believe people are paid to write these things.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

not all boys have wieners tho :confused:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nice transgender erasure 5turdy8

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

not all boys have wieners tho :confused:

Condiv posted:

nice transgender erasure 5turdy8

Two people who didn't actually read the article spotted.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

e_angst posted:

Two people who didn't actually read the article spotted.

It's the same person. Perhaps it is you who did not read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Surprisingly interesting.

• Locked thread