Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Dolash posted:

That doesn't make sense. When do they go fight Caliborn for Caliborn's masterpiece, and what would happen to the Beta kids trapped in the icon then?

The plotline that made sense was John and chums retconning to Caliborn, the Beta kids getting Iconized, then Vriska deploying the Icon for them to be released and fight Lord English. If they went from the lilypad to fighting Lord English then... I don't even know at that point.

You're asking the wrong Exposition Avatar Haver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

paranoid randroid posted:

sez here that John retcons everyone to the Caliborn fight. so, again, either they just started feeling their oats and decided that theyd rather kick a 12 year old in the balls than win the stupid game, or theres eight hitherto unaccounted for copies of our protagonists floating around in the story

Reading Caliborn's dialogue reminds me of how annoyed I am this thing was entirely without dialogue.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Boogaleeboo posted:

Actually Jack more personally hosed with everyone. Or Vriska.

Jack was just a stooge, although it's already bullshit that Jade walked away from him instead of finishing him off. They were unable to deviate from the timeline where they were all hosed and their friends and families died because it was necessary for the creation of Lord English, who's been trying to destroy all of Paradox Space and everyone in it. If it turns out Lord English actually poses no threat to them or is otherwise irrelevant to their ending then why the gently caress did we ever follow him or anyone fighting him in the Dream Bubbles?

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love that this is one of the things he's repeatedly said wasn't going to happen, and then it didn't, and so many people were surprised.

People took that to mean it wouldn't be a big long flash battle like Collide, not that they literally wouldn't deal with him at all. Even showing up to one-shot him with some kind of teamwork power since Calliope had depowered him by destroying the Green Sun would be fine.

People were surprised Hussie's penchant for shuffling occasionally important character moments offscreen would extend to the entirety of the final confrontation.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

What was even the drat point of Gamzee. Think of everything that happened with him, and where it led.

Not really dealing with The Most Important Character in Homestuck (or his lookalike) really makes me sad. I was figuring he'd be the second-to-last big battle or something but I guess dying off camera in a claymation flashback is fine too.

Other things that bugged me:
-Lord English Prime never got a real confrontation. Nor did Doc Scratch now that I think about it.
-Did Rose ever actually learn to play the rain? I don't think she did.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was surprised that Vriska Was Right(tm)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Comic posted:

I'd say Collide works better for that, given how it's actually the final battle for our story.

The thing is, I do think Collide works within the story, however, I think this animation is universally appealing, like, I could see someone looking at Collide and saying "this is weird and lovely", but this is traditional animation and it looks really good

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

net cafe scandal posted:

A really good penance for Andrew Hussie for writing this silly ending that he made 600 unpaid interns animate would be to upload a thorough final recap page that explains in detail everything that happened in this comic since 2011.

From what I can tell it was mostly just one person animating actually.

Spellman posted:

The thing is, I do think Collide works within the story, however, I think this animation is universally appealing, like, I could see someone looking at Collide and saying "this is weird and lovely", but this is traditional animation and it looks really good

I mean it more in a 'what the gently caress just happened I need to know why' kind of way rather than the way this ends and being curious about what kind of story it even was.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
One hour and 10 minutes to the real ending

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dolash being pissed and awesomely articulate about it is such a treat.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
vriska did nothing wrong, forever

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I was surprised that Vriska Was Right(tm)

yeah i know, im still in shock

rewatching the animation, it kind of looks like something happens to the juju after vriska deploys it. it kind of looks like it breaks, in a bad way. the panels flicker and shatter.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We don't even know if trolls got repopulated. Coulda shown some new troll grubs climbing over Karkat as a callback and cute way to end his story.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dolash posted:

That doesn't make sense. When do they go fight Caliborn for Caliborn's masterpiece, and what would happen to the Beta kids trapped in the icon then?

The plotline that made sense was John and chums retconning to Caliborn, the Beta kids getting Iconized, then Vriska deploying the Icon for them to be released and fight Lord English. If they went from the lilypad to fighting Lord English then... I don't even know at that point.

I don't think people understand your point. I think I do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The question isn't about the timeline. It's not about the order of things: that makes sense. they go through the door, live happy lives, and go fight lord english and cause that whole mess, which ends with LE having 8 balls for eyes and dying to the kids being freed from the thing.

Your question is: why the hell did they go and confront LE? Why even leave the new universe?

Mine is: If the series of events has the new universe dwelling fun times, which seems like it should be the final ending, somewhere in the middle: what the hell actually happens after LE is defeated? All the kids' friends are dead, their new universe has a burnt out sun, and they're a bunch of gods drifting through dream bubbles.

Does the sburb cycle continue? Is the final end of homestuck that the kids live for 2 billion years until their planet dies, begrudgingly go fight LE out of boredom, win, and wander the dead cosmos with a bunch of ghosts until entropic universe death causes the end of everything?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I read/watched all of the new stuff from this year tonight and I will say Collide was really fun to watch

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Comic posted:

From what I can tell it was mostly just one person animating actually.

The 600 unpaid interns is also in reference to the diaspora of tumblr based fan artists that AH wrangled into doing increasingly ill fitting interstitial scenes in Flashes from Act 5 on.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not mad, just disappointed.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I read/watched all of the new stuff from this year tonight and I will say Collide was really fun to watch

COllide was cool

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
john never actually opens the door before the screen irises out. one of the last things we see is Caliborn triumphant and ascending, but something bad happens to the juju at the moment of his supposed defeat.

im starting to feel more and more like we are being japed here

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ I don't think Hussie is hiding a secret Real Ending, the most likely trick I can imagine is that it's actually a Bad End where Lord English wins and he's obfusticated it to make it less obvious.

GeneX posted:

I don't think people understand your point. I think I do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The question isn't about the timeline. It's not about the order of things: that makes sense. they go through the door, live happy lives, and go fight lord english and cause that whole mess, which ends with LE having 8 balls for eyes and dying to the kids being freed from the thing.

Your question is: why the hell did they go and confront LE? Why even leave the new universe?

Mine is: If the series of events has the new universe dwelling fun times, which seems like it should be the final ending, somewhere in the middle: what the hell actually happens after LE is defeated? All the kids' friends are dead, their new universe has a burnt out sun, and they're a bunch of gods drifting through dream bubbles.

Does the sburb cycle continue? Is the final end of homestuck that the kids live for 2 billion years until their planet dies, begrudgingly go fight LE out of boredom, win, and wander the dead cosmos with a bunch of ghosts until entropic universe death causes the end of everything?

That's waaaay off the deep end of :speculate: and I hate that the ending is ambiguous enough that we're operating on what are basically incompatible versions of reality, something which until this Homestuck did a pretty good job of keeping a handle on by explaining things clearly as we went along.

I can't even fully parse what you're saying. So you're suggesting the kids go to the new universe, they stay there... they die? The world dies? They're just immortal teenagers until the Heat Death Of The Universe then John retcons them to complete their time loop?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Boogaleeboo posted:

Actually Jack more personally hosed with everyone. Or Vriska.

I love that this is one of the things he's repeatedly said wasn't going to happen, and then it didn't, and so many people were surprised.

It's surprising because it's one of the most basic tropes of the RPG genre that Homestuck draws from. Plus it's rad as hell. How do you make a video game themed comic and NOT do that!? That's like, the whole reason you do a series like this!

Dolash posted:

People took that to mean it wouldn't be a big long flash battle like Collide, not that they literally wouldn't deal with him at all. Even showing up to one-shot him with some kind of teamwork power since Calliope had depowered him by destroying the Green Sun would be fine.

People were surprised Hussie's penchant for shuffling occasionally important character moments offscreen would extend to the entirety of the final confrontation.

Yeah what this guy said. Hussie could have also had some sort of dialogue-based climax between him and John or something. Which, considering that dialogue is this series' strong point would have been pretty awesome. I would LOVE to hear what adult Lord English is like to have a conversation with.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

GeneX posted:

Does the sburb cycle continue?

The sburb cycle continues forever, the demiurge wins, hope was a lie.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

readingatwork posted:

I would LOVE to hear what adult Lord English is like to have a conversation with.

Adults can't talk in Homestuck. Unless they're dead.

They can leave notes though!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lord Englishs only lines were to Damara in the Doc Scratch intermission right. Thats a shame.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

...it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Homestuck.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He sounded really different than Caliborn too. Ah well

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

readingatwork posted:

It's surprising because it's one of the most basic tropes of the RPG genre that Homestuck draws from.

I think it's finally time that you accept the obvious truth.

This isn't an rpg webcomic, it's an anime.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

john never actually opens the door before the screen irises out. one of the last things we see is Caliborn triumphant and ascending, but something bad happens to the juju at the moment of his supposed defeat.

nothing bad happens to the juju, the icon of a door begins to form in it, indicating that the trapped kids are about to leave the house

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess John and friends just decided they needed to kick Caliborn's rear end at some point. Maybe after he made a big black hole in their universe, IDK.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ah nevermind, that was caliborn smashing the clock panel, not the juju breaking

whatever! the end. it was kind of unsatisfying, but what wouldnt be after 7 years

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 13, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I kind of suspect that this may be the case as well. In fact it was exactly my assumption before I re-watched the thing and started reading thread speculation. Let's all hope that this is exactly the case because this would be a pretty boss way to start a final confrontation.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I need to sleep. Final thoughts: crushed and disappointed that Homestuck ended with a relative whimper, as well as the impression that the creator has lost the initial spark that drove the story in earlier days to such heights. Homestuck's been such a good ride for so long and there were so many good reasons to believe it would deliver with its ending, that to falter on the last hurdle feels like an incredible letdown.

I will miss you guys, since Homestuck is over and we will now gradually drift away (well, I mean, to the rest of the forums). It was a good journey and a fun event to be a part of, a very active community of fans and I do not regret the monstrous number of posts I've sunk into it. It's just sad it's ending this way and there's nothing left for us to do but debate and argue the merits of the ending or where exactly things started to go wrong.

That might be the worst part of this ending, that it's not something universally enjoyable that we could praise together. I don't want to diminish the enjoyment of the people who've spoken in favor of it, it's just too bad it's not working for all of us.

Ah well.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
i mean the ending is p much exactly what it appeared to be and, what the author told us it would be, years in advance

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Serious Literary Analysis Time:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Eschewing traditional narrative structures in an otherwise straightforward plot (IE Anything not intentionally surrealist such as Monty Python) is a recipe for disaster. In order to progress in a satisfactory way, a story needs protagonists who move the plot forward of their own volition and experience character arcs. Don't give me any horseshit that "people don't have arcs," these are characters. For most of the story Homestuck seems to build up to something grand, but it never seemed to get there. The characters tended to fart around while pushed toward some goal neither they nor the audience is completely clear on. It's fun to watch them screw around, but if Hussie wants these characters to embark on a epic creation myth then he needs to set a goal (often both a stated, external goal, and an unstated internal goal tied to their growth as a character), then have every construct in the story either help or hinder the protagonists in achieving that goal.

Homestuck's failing is that Hussie tries to create a mostly serious narrative without adhering to character grown, plot progression, and appropriately structured and paced acts. Honestly it's a commendable effort, but one that ultimately does not work (and perhaps Hussie figured that out?). Instead the narrative falls apart under its own weight and lack of direction, nearly all the characters feel very underdeveloped by the end, and there is no sense of closure or completion.

TL,DR: Every now and then some chucklefuck comes along and decides to create an experimental narrative outside of pre-established apparatuses. Then the work collapses and they get kicked to the curb like Charlie Chaplin's Tramp. Anyway Hussie is the chuckle and we are the fucks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=FevMNMwvdPw&video_start=420&audio=DehmPOkrtRc&audio_start=0

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i just watched [S] Cascade again and it was way better than the ending. go watch Cascade

after doing so, though, it occured to me what we motherfuckin are

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

sez here that John retcons everyone to the Caliborn fight. so, again, either they just started feeling their oats and decided that theyd rather kick a 12 year old in the balls than win the stupid game, or theres eight hitherto unaccounted for copies of our protagonists floating around in the story

Does it matter? Hussie never bothered to identify where they came from, and they're retconned in. They could've come from anywhere in paradox space once John had retconny powers. Maybe I'm just thinking too simply by not looking for a cause, but I thought the joke was that they were literally retconned in to fight him, regardless of what happens otherwise in canon.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Eschewing traditional narrative structures in an otherwise straightforward plot (IE Anything not intentionally surrealist such as Monty Python) is a recipe for disaster. In order to progress in a satisfactory way, a story needs protagonists who move the plot forward of their own volition and experience character arcs. Don't give me any horseshit that "people don't have arcs," these are characters. For most of the story Homestuck seems to build up to something grand, but it never seemed to get there. The characters tended to fart around while pushed toward some goal neither they nor the audience is completely clear on. It's fun to watch them screw around, but if Hussie wants these characters to embark on a epic creation myth then he needs to set a goal (often both a stated, external goal, and an unstated internal goal tied to their growth as a character), then have every construct in the story either help or hinder the protagonists in achieving that goal.

Homestuck's failing is that Hussie tries to create a mostly serious narrative without adhering to character grown, plot progression, and appropriately structured and paced acts. Honestly it's a commendable effort, but one that ultimately does not work (and perhaps Hussie figured that out?). Instead the narrative falls apart under its own weight and lack of direction, nearly all the characters feel very underdeveloped by the end, and there is no sense of closure or completion.

TL,DR: Every now and then some chucklefuck comes along and decides to create an experimental narrative outside of pre-established apparatuses. Then the work collapses and they get kicked to the curb like Charlie Chaplin's Tramp. Anyway Hussie is the chuckle and we are the fucks.

perhaps it is your expectation that this is a "mostly serious narrative" that is the problem, here? in this gay teen anime comic?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dolash posted:

That's waaaay off the deep end of :speculate: and I hate that the ending is ambiguous enough that we're operating on what are basically incompatible versions of reality, something which until this Homestuck did a pretty good job of keeping a handle on by explaining things clearly as we went along.

I can't even fully parse what you're saying. So you're suggesting the kids go to the new universe, they stay there... they die? The world dies? They're just immortal teenagers until the Heat Death Of The Universe then John retcons them to complete their time loop?

Maybe this will parse better:

What I think is the sequence of events:
1) John and co. open door on lilypad.
2) They enter the new universe.
3) At some unspecified point in the future of this universe, some long time in the future, they go and fight LE as per Caliborn's thing.
4) They get trapped.
5) Fast forward to Vriska freeing them, they beat Lord English.
6) What the hell happens now?

A possible alternative:
1) John and co. are about to open the door on the lilypad.
2) They decide to, despite their goal being right in front of them, jump to Caliborn's origin story.
3) They get trapped.
4) Fast forward to Vriska freeing them, they beat Lord English.
5) They enter the new universe.

So:
If what I think is the timeline is correct, why did they leave the new universe to confront LE?
Following from that, assuming they had a good reason, what happens after they beat LE? Do they live happily ever after? Do they warp back to their new universe, exist for a while, and then the planet ends up in Caliborn's origin story at some point? Where did they go, if that's the case?

If I'm wrong, and the alternative I'm considering is right:
Why the hell didn't they just go into the new universe at point 2)?
Why jump to earlier in Caliborn's story, instead of to the end, where Vriska is opening the thing?

And if neither of the sequences of events I'm looking at are right, what the hell just happened?

Jen X fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm gonna take the opposite view and say that after literally 2 LOTRs of raw dialogue, I have a really clear view of all the characters and their personal emotional arcs. That they weren't tied directly to the RPG conflict or central to the creation of the new universe definitely is a failure by many people's measure and clearly left you and others unfulfilled, but come on, we definitely don't lack for an absurd amount of character insight and depth. Or don't you recall literally 10k words of Dirk and Dave sussing out the emotions and consequences of abuse at the hands of family?