Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not sure how they work from the inside, but seems like they're co op friendly phantoms that can also knife you in the back if they feel like it.

Basically. Purple phantoms can do damage to anybody - the host, all other phantoms, and enemies - and we get a covenant reward if the host dies OR if we help kill a hostile phantom. We can't fight bosses but I have no clue what happens if our host makes it to a boss door.

It was fun as poo poo to do in the newbie zones on a low level character today. I killed some hosts, hid on the map until some of them died, cleared half the Settlement for some of them, and got jacked up by their other phantom summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Can you power stance those with another set of dual maces?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Basically. Purple phantoms can do damage to anybody - the host, all other phantoms, and enemies - and we get a covenant reward if the host dies OR if we help kill a hostile phantom. We can't fight bosses but I have no clue what happens if our host makes it to a boss door.

It was fun as poo poo to do in the newbie zones on a low level character today. I killed some hosts, hid on the map until some of them died, cleared half the Settlement for some of them, and got jacked up by their other phantom summons.

Wait, purple phantoms get credit if something else kills the host?

Son of a bitch :argh:

I was wondering why that dude stood around giggling while a perfectly killable cauldron Big Hollow pasted me.

(On the other hand he got me to a bonfire before that, so I guess we both came out ahead.)

DS3 owns.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
I can't wait until the majority of the thread gets to The Pontiff fight. If you're doing a no-summons run like me, it is an absolute nightmare.

Also (much later on), The double dragons at the entrance to the castle got an actual laugh out of me! "One dragon wasn't enough? Fuckit, add more dragon."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does every From game need to have a loving slow rear end swamp

Why did they make you move even slower

gah

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Quick boss question. I'm currently level 25 with three bosses killed so far and am now working on High Lord Wolnir but having very little success. Have I skipped a boss/zone or do I just need to get good?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Steely Glint posted:

Quick boss question. I'm currently level 25 with three bosses killed so far and am now working on High Lord Wolnir but having very little success. Have I skipped a boss/zone or do I just need to get good?

He's a gimmick boss. I'm sure you can figure it out. You did miss a zone but even then that's probably not the issue.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, summoning a mad phantom is basically a toss up on whether they are going to be helpful or trying to kill you? Cool. It will be interesting to see if 95% of the population doesn't immediately turn to murder.

Can you become a sunbro early? I'm seeing a lot of golden summon signs.

Also, it's stupid that Blue cop and Blue... eh.. mugged person are still 2 different covenants. I guess that being able to swap covenants on the fly is a good change, though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

So, summoning a mad phantom is basically a toss up on whether they are going to be helpful or trying to kill you? Cool. It will be interesting to see if 95% of the population doesn't immediately turn to murder.

Can you become a sunbro early? I'm seeing a lot of golden summon signs.

Also, it's stupid that Blue cop and Blue... eh.. mugged person are still 2 different covenants. I guess that being able to swap covenants on the fly is a good change, though.

you can get the sunlight cov sticker from the undead settlement. In like the first house, drop down a hole in the floor.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Just got to the AW fight. I got into the fight and I couldn't really figure out why people were complaining about it and then :stare:

Also I am missing SO MUCH STUFF, apparently. Will probably need to go through with a guide next playthrough or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this game has taught me to fear naked harmless looking hollows. I like to kill them before they transform.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Alabaster White posted:

He's a gimmick boss. I'm sure you can figure it out. You did miss a zone but even then that's probably not the issue.

Good to know, thanks. I'll give it another go then.

Also, the first run to the boss was incredibly cool - so many goddamn enemies getting some delicious comeuppance.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh I just noticed you can't upgrade armor. That owns. Fashion souls is making a comeback.

Does leveling up a talisman increase its healing power? I mean the physical damage is the only thing that goes up. I'm not punching people with my prayer hankie. Magic adjust on the saint talisman is 107, is that the only thing that matters?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Krinkle posted:

Oh I just noticed you can't upgrade armor. That owns. Fashion souls is making a comeback.

Not so much. Defense is very worthwhile now, and it's harder to reach the all-important roll levels in heavy armor.

This means that some guy is probably going to work out what armor is mathematically the best defense-to-weight ratio or such, and then most people will just use that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So the dragon on the wall, I hate it and I want it to die. Has anyone figured out a good way to do it? The fire seems to hit everywhere and anywhere.

EDIT: Turns out the answer is to stand in the doorway below the tower fire and shoot it in the rear end. It doesn't die though and that makes me mad. I lust for dragon death.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've beaten the game, final playtime on my first character clocking in at 21 hours. I went everywhere you can go, did just about all of the optional stuff. Absolutely fantastic game, they really nailed it this time around. Something about the ending I chose made me curious, it makes me wonder if it's a Bloodborne reference: In order to get the The End of Fire ending, you have to grant the firekeeper eyes so that she can gain insight into the horrors that lie in the darkness. Now where have I heard that before?

It's probably just a coincidence, but I thought it was funny.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 13, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress these tree stump wielding weirdos sound like someone unblocking a sink when you kill them, hella gross.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Oh, gently caress.

I didn't pick up the grave warden fire spell tome during woldin fight, am I hosed? I want those black fire spells.

e: no fear, other people too stupid to pick up items it's hidden in the back of the bonfire room if you miss it

Minera fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 13, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I really miss recoverable health from bloodborne. I got too used to tanking hits and making it up with gusto.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't wait until people have sperged over numbers enough for someone to put together an AR calculator for weapons, with all the infusions now it's even harder to figure out if I want to bother levelling up my weapons.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So the dragon on the wall, I hate it and I want it to die. Has anyone figured out a good way to do it? The fire seems to hit everywhere and anywhere.

Decide on a direction you want to go in, make some headway into the other direction until Halitosistraza starts emitting fire and back up until it's done, then Run Like Hell in the direction you chose. Ahead and to the right underneath the turret ( with the bonfire up top), you can stand in the doorway and shoot about a hundred arrows into it's left wing to get it to gently caress off so you can loot in peace. I would really recommend you stand in the doorway before unleashing arrows. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Boss fights in this are weirdly draining in a way the series hasn't been before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orv posted:

Boss fights in this are weirdly draining in a way the series hasn't been before.

They finally figured out the sweet spot for boss aggression vs. attack speed, or at least it feels that way to me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Orv posted:

Everything is just so goddamn aggressive that you really have to think on your toes, and everything has second phases, desperation moves, etc. etc. etc.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Every single time i've been summoned i'm immediately targeted by the host, even if i go kill poo poo and point at stuff. i'm even wearing the white ring. :(

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hey Seigfriend, you... alright there?

(that's his leg up by his head)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also re: Fashion Souls.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

No proper fix for crashing at bonfires yet?

I know turning lighting down to low resolves it, but that's not really a fix.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Between the first boss killing me and the bonfire crashes I've been getting, I'm pretty much decided I'm going to wait with Dark Souls 3 until it's gotten a bit of a patch. Not that it'd help me beat the boss, but it wouldn't add to the frustration I'm feeling that I haven't had in DS1 or 2.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Has there been any really tedious/lazy bosses so far? I'm thrusting a sword into a wooden crotch right now, so I wouldn't really know if there are any sudden low points, but thus far everything has been really good.

I'm talking like Bed of Chaos or Smelter Demon sort of stupid poo poo.

I have high hopes for this game in that regard, but with that said, I also really like all the DS2 DLC but amidst all the good there was a whole bunch of recycled bosses.

Mordaedil posted:

Between the first boss killing me and the bonfire crashes I've been getting, I'm pretty much decided I'm going to wait with Dark Souls 3 until it's gotten a bit of a patch. Not that it'd help me beat the boss, but it wouldn't add to the frustration I'm feeling that I haven't had in DS1 or 2.

Set everything to low and update your grafix drivers. That should do the trick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazerunner posted:

Hey Seigfriend, you... alright there?

(that's his leg up by his head)

"Hmm... I seem to be in a bit of a pickle. Or a pretzel, as it were."

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Orv posted:

Also re: Fashion Souls.

Your majesty, the undead are attacking the town!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gortarius posted:

I'm talking like Bed of Chaos or Smelter Demon sort of stupid poo poo.

Smelter demon was an extremely good boss though?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Decide on a direction you want to go in, make some headway into the other direction until Halitosistraza starts emitting fire and back up until it's done, then Run Like Hell in the direction you chose. Ahead and to the right underneath the turret ( with the bonfire up top), you can stand in the doorway and shoot about a hundred arrows into it's left wing to get it to gently caress off so you can loot in peace. I would really recommend you stand in the doorway before unleashing arrows. :v:

Yeah, figured it out. Then I used the last of my arrows and firebombs to kill that mimic because the first time I fought it, it kicked me in the skull and broke my defense and almost oneshot me. Then kicked me again and that was that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gortarius posted:

Set everything to low and update your grafix drivers. That should do the trick.

Did that, still crashed once, not motivated to try again until fixed because it's the type of crash that I worry will actually damage my hardware.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=664192346

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663950967

Is there a way to embed screenshots from steam community, or I need to upload the pics to a hosting service?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Boy lightning spear is real bad in this game eh? Second guessing going faith build.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
After breezing through a no shield playthrough of Dark Souls 2 I decided I would try to do the same here and quickly gave up. The dodging seems so different and most of the time you end up a mile away from the guy you're trying to hit. It doesn't help that the enemies also seem to turn really really quickly.

I started as a Deprived and had a bit of a rough time for the first few hours. But I'm kitted out in some armour I scavenged from some hollows and everything's a lot easier now. Does anyone know how Flynn's ring works this time around? And is there any way to get out of the area where you find it? I had to bone myself outta there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait you can get flynn's ring early in the game? Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Leyburn posted:

After breezing through a no shield playthrough of Dark Souls 2 I decided I would try to do the same here and quickly gave up. The dodging seems so different and most of the time you end up a mile away from the guy you're trying to hit. It doesn't help that the enemies also seem to turn really really quickly.

I started as a Deprived and had a bit of a rough time for the first few hours. But I'm kitted out in some armour I scavenged from some hollows and everything's a lot easier now. Does anyone know how Flynn's ring works this time around? And is there any way to get out of the area where you find it? I had to bone myself outta there.

How the heck do you beat the first boss? I can get him to half health before my club seems really useless.