Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

National Treasure Tree

Usuzukizakura (Over 1500 year old tree) in full bloom earlier this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

net work error posted:

I saw a bunch of tourists grabbing branches at Shinjuku Gyoen and it definitely sucked.

Holy hell there are so many tourists in gyoen. I live nearby so I go there a lot, and the number of tourists this year seems to have doubled from last year, and it was only like 3-4 years ago that there were practically none.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Anyone know which chain of karaoke has the most western songs? Some coworkers are visiting and this is of course an item on their list

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Pasela I'd think.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

.Z. posted:

National Treasure Tree

Usuzukizakura (Over 1500 year old tree) in full bloom earlier this week.

Japan really loves keeping old things alive regardless of the cost.

Digger
Sep 22, 2005

Digger T. Turtle
May I ask for some tourism advice on Okinawa and Naoshima? Flying to Naha on a Thursday, fly to Takamatsu on the Sunday for time on Naoshima then back to Tokyo on the Wednesday. Where would be the best places to stay? In terms of accessibility and the like, mainly for Naha. All advice and suggestions appreciated.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digger posted:

May I ask for some tourism advice on Okinawa and Naoshima? Flying to Naha on a Thursday, fly to Takamatsu on the Sunday for time on Naoshima then back to Tokyo on the Wednesday. Where would be the best places to stay? In terms of accessibility and the like, mainly for Naha. All advice and suggestions appreciated.

There's a Toyoko Inn a few minutes' walk from both Takamatsu station and the ferry port to Naoshima. It's the closest cheap option, as the only closer hotel is quite expensive. This is going to be the easiest for you, as you can take the bus right to the station from the airport.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00130/

Unless you're talking about staying on Naoshima, but I don't think there's more than a day's worth of stuff to do there anyway, and there aren't many places to stay or eat.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Glorious artistic udon

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can anyone recommend stores that sell older/opened Gashopon figures/sets in Akibahara or Ikebukuro?

We were in Osaka the other day and went into Yellow Submarine in Denden town and my gf had a blast finding the exact figures she wanted from the gachapon machines. She had fun with the machines, too, but this removed the randomness and had a much larger selection. I'm certain there are stores in Tokyo that cater to the same tastes and would like to go to one.

I don't mean the obvious ones that are at street level, I mean the ones that you have to know where you are going to find. Perhaps on a side street or, more likely, up and elevator with signs only in Japanese.

Thanks for any advice.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
The Radio Kaikan near the station has a few of those kinds of stores, and I think there was a Yellow Submarine either in that building or nearby, but I also recommend Robot Robot on the third floor of the Akiba Culture Zone, near the Super Potato.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Recycle shops like Hard Off (lol) have lots of weeb toys

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Better than Akihabara or Ikebukuru, Nakano Broadway has lots and lots of this kind of store crammed into a single place. I think you'll find pretty much anything you want over there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

orenronen posted:

Better than Akihabara or Ikebukuru, Nakano Broadway has lots and lots of this kind of store crammed into a single place. I think you'll find pretty much anything you want over there.

I thought that was part of ikebukuro. That's the place I meant, anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Going to be in Kyoto and Osaka for golden week, because I'm insane, but would rather do that than stay in Korea.

Anyways, where is the best brewery in Osaka or Kyoto?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The best brewery is actually a distillery, sorry. Yamazaki station.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

orenronen posted:

I heard that Namco Bandai sold patches for Ace Combat squadron insignias at TGS one time. Has anyone stumbled across something like those recently in Akiba or Nakano?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nakano Broadway is unbelievable.

I think I saw about 1/4 of it in 2.5 hours.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Nakano Broadway is unbelievable.

I think I saw about 1/4 of it in 2.5 hours.

The sheer bizarreness of the place is fascinating even if you have no interest in otaku stuff.

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

Is anyone going to Grand Prix Tokyo in May? I've never been to a GP before. I don't plan on playing in the main event but I'm interested in the side events.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna really miss Japan. I was at a Starbucks today and a girl came in via wheelchair. One of the workers immediately ran to her and assisted. The place was packed. As soon as someone stood up from a table he was standing there ready to prepare it for the girl. Table cleaned and helped the girl to the table.

We decided to sit out front. He then brought dry chairs to us because the ones outside were damp from an earlier rain. Is there any place in the US that has "actual" good customer service?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Maybe some higher end grocery stores? Japanese customer service is double edged, though; it's really easy to get on the bad side of customer service and you're on the phone nonstop having someone tell you "It cannot be helped valued customer" while you're faxing something across town.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

orenronen posted:

The sheer bizarreness of the place is fascinating even if you have no interest in otaku stuff.

The first 2 floors make up the bulk of the stores in Nakano Broadway, however people new to the place make the mistake of taking the first escalator they see walking in and that unfortunately takes you 2 floors up and people end up missing one floor completely or didn't realize it until they were leaving. Granted that 3rd floor does contain some very unique themed stores from when I was last there.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress it got warm really fast. I've never made the transition from winter to spring here and It's crazy how quickly it gets hot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The subway maps are a joke. Some have a compass. North is always a different direction. Sometimes to the right. Sometimes down. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out because the station is a cross and there is no compass. Good times.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The subway maps are a joke. Some have a compass. North is always a different direction. Sometimes to the right. Sometimes down. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out because the station is a cross and there is no compass. Good times.

Up is always the way you're physically facing when looking at the map. They're supposed to be navigational tools when you're lost, which makes this way much more convenient.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hyperdia is a great navigation app if you have mobile data.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, that makes sense. Pretty logical, too.

Growing up with all maps facing N is probably not the best thing now that I think of it. What if you don't know which was is north?

Once again, Japan wins.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But when you post we lose

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Just got to Yokosuka, if any goons are in the area let me know and we can go grab some food and beers

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
I'm taking a break from studying and i want to go to japan for a 1-2 months early next year.
I've backpacked around Europe and a bit of asia but can anybody recommend any cities + hostels that are good for solo travellers?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Juyoh Hotel in Taito-ku is a pretty nice place. I've stayed there before, and am staying there again later this August.

In fact, it seems there's a lot of backpacker-friendly hotels and hostels in that around of Taito-ku...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hey folks,

I'm starting to think about what I want to do in Hokkaido in October (planning to be there (west/SW Hokkaido) for koyou/head south through aomori down the west coast of Japan. Been there before, and have a very rough idea of what I want to do. Anyone have any amazing food/hotel/ryokan recommendations to think about?

Also this leaves Shikoku and parts of Chuugoku (North of Hiroshima) as the only prefectures i've never been to. Someday I'll find a way to Shikoku :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some broad af questions here but I hear Kanazawa is nice.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009

ohsosad posted:

I'm taking a break from studying and i want to go to japan for a 1-2 months early next year.
I've backpacked around Europe and a bit of asia but can anybody recommend any cities + hostels that are good for solo travellers?

I spent 2 weeks in Japan on my own last July, after nearly 2 years in Aus/NZ and I stayed in 4 hostels in Japan, 2/3 I would go back to again.

Khaosan Tokyo Laboratory
This and the one below, were probably the best hostels I stayed in in all of my time away.
Everyone here was really helpful, they helped me call up JetStar when my bag was stuck in Sydney and pointed me to some nice food places.
I was in a room with 3 other people, so 2 bunk beds and a bathroom, which was nice and clean.
They also did little events once or twice a week, I think they make pancakes while I was there with some cheap beer and plum wine to try.

Guest House Roku - Hiroshima
Lovely little hostel in Hiroshima, I think only 2 rooms broken into male/female with maybe 8 beds each.
Pretty small and its a lot more homemade but I really loved this place and should of stayed here longer than a day.
The day I was there they had an american guy come do a bbq and a load of Japanese people rocked up after work, which was very entertaining.
Ended up going to the nearby famous Itsukushima shrine with 3 people I met there which was great.

Gion Ryokan - Kyoto
There are probably better in Kyoto than this but this was still pretty decent.
A bit bigger than the others and it had some families staying there, capsule style bed with just a futon mattress which were ok but bit harder to talk to people.
Had a free to use hot bath tub which was too dam hot for me and was a traditional old style house, which is a bit different than the other two.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to to Sapporo I can highly recommend Social Hostel 365

The beds are very large and private which is pretty drat rare for a hostel and there's a bar downstairs which is open every night. The staff are all super nice and helpful, one of the founders even prefers you call him O-chan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kanazawa is too far this time. I think the furthest west were going to get to is tsuruoka/shonai :(

Tohoku is loving gigantic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The only time frame I've ever been to Japan was end of March/Early April. This year we won't be able to go until probably 2 weeks in early September.

Unfortunately pretty much everything I can find is like "Don't go to Japan in Early september" but I don't really have a choice, is it really that much of an undesirable time

Also - I wanna go to Hokkaido this time ~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The only problem is that early September is still hot af. Less crowds than proper summer break, though.