Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LibbyM posted:

I'm not going to be on to summon but a good tip if you can't find anyone to help: Let both Darkwraiths walk past your spawn without agroing them, they will start fighting all the other enemies. Pull one of the darkwraiths and fight it on its own while the other one kills every other enemy for you.

I'm trying to get to the sage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a way to kill the grenadiers on the roof of undead settlement

Yeah, drop down from off the bridge or go around, there's a bonfire directly under their building. you can then go up to the roof and kill them that way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, lets talk builds for a second. Because mine is a mess, almost every level goes into VIT because I want to one hand a claymore and run around in shiny knight armor without thudding to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I've just barely managed to get my equip load below 70% for a mid roll and that's good enough for now.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well, that was cool until it turned out to be a massive mistake. You can break the legs of the miniboss that drops the stray demon soul, but then it just freaks the gently caress out and flails around endlessly making it almost impossible to hit.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Guys, we've been playing Souls games for several years now, and I have just one question: why has no one told me how awesome the Estoc is :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So, lets talk builds for a second. Because mine is a mess, almost every level goes into VIT because I want to one hand a claymore and run around in shiny knight armor without thudding to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I've just barely managed to get my equip load below 70% for a mid roll and that's good enough for now.

You can respec in this game so doing whatever with your build isn't really a problem.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
gently caress that Abyss guy. I popped an ember and summoned a bro to help me out and the fight got super-easy though. The trick to dealing with him seems horribly improbable too.
Details: Backstab is his weakness? WHAT THE gently caress?! I accidentally landed one myself after he did a spinning-360 fire slash, but that 1-second window is your chance to land a meaty backstab and hit as he gets up?

Also took down the gimmick boss that follows. But mostly because the boss pushed up so close to a wall that it couldn't really hit me and decided to just stay there on time out while trying to be scary. Pretty sure its AI bugged out on that "victory".

No spoiler needed for that second one I wager since there's no way in hell it was a normal win condition.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Andrast posted:

You can respec in this game so doing whatever with your build isn't really a problem.

I got rolls for days and that's all that really matters. I also just exited out of the game on impulse because I'm so used to just clicking the stupid red X in dark souls two, this game doesn't explode your save or anything if you do that does it?

EDIT:
Farming up some titanite to make my claymore kick rear end, because these guys have decent titanite drop rates it seems, this happened. What the hell textures.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 13, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Merauder posted:

Guys, we've been playing Souls games for several years now, and I have just one question: why has no one told me how awesome the Estoc is :colbert:

We mentioned it several times in the DS 2 thread. Your fault :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Einwand posted:

Well, that was cool until it turned out to be a massive mistake. You can break the legs of the miniboss that drops the stray demon soul, but then it just freaks the gently caress out and flails around endlessly making it almost impossible to hit.

As usual, smacking it in the big flabby stone asscheeks is the best demon killing strategy.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh sorry, I had the wrong direction going. No advice for the sage I just got up to where I was talking about.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a way to kill the grenadiers on the roof of undead settlement

With a bow or a magic zap, I guess.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Haha, that's great. I spent hours being Embered and never saw a single invasion, which was quite annoying to me. I figured there just weren't enough invaders to go around since the matchmaking apparently prioritizes players with co-op first (which is a terribly system for people like me who love to play solo and get invaded...)

Then I happened to be walking around the Settlement while Embered and got invaded by an NPC. Yay! Except, for whatever reason, THIS was the point Dark Souls decided that I should get invaded by a player as well, who promptly proceeded to smoke me on account of the NPC helping out. Thanks, Dark Souls!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
DS2 estoc had weird bad scaling and DS1 estoc had to compete with the BSS

But this... this will be the year of estoc...

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Everytime I get engrossed in this god drat beautiful loving awesome world, the game suddenly crashes. Knight, low lighting, etc.

gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh right, speaking of NPC invasions. Do you have to be embered like how you had to be human in previous games?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Played a little bit more yesterday, cashed in my cool 7000 souls from the tutorial area for gear and stats. Also fire imbued my axe.

The high wall is fun and having not played Bloodbourne the speed and enemy hordes are something i'm slowly adjusting to. Inside on of the wall towers I managed to do a plunging attack on a thief, hit a oil barrel, got blasted back from the explosion, fell down another hole, landed in front of a halberd soldier and still managed to murder the poo poo outta him... by hitting more oil barrels point blank.

Watching the bf play and after it taking him six attempts to kill the firelink boss I have no idea how I managed to beat him first try.

Are you able to upgrade armor anymore?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

Oh right, speaking of NPC invasions. Do you have to be embered like how you had to be human in previous games?

Yes, and NPC invaders drop unique gear frequently which is irritating.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

LibbyM posted:

Oh sorry, I had the wrong direction going. No advice for the sage I just got up to where I was talking about.

You mean the path to Abyss? You can avoid all of the enemies if you want, just not sure why I'm spoilering this but, hug the right wall and go over the little hill. You'll take little to no damage unless the middle one (there's 3) lunges just right.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
:gonk:

turns out I'm in that elite group of people where everything that can go wrong with the game did. Controller issues, crashes, etc.

Hopefully those fix soon. :(

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

From the Crucifixion Woods bonfire you can get to the boss only having to fight 2 enemies, and you can sprint past the rest. Jump in to the swamp to the left of the crab you can see from the bonfire. Sprint ahead and you'll see some stairs. Go up and enter the building and kill the enemy straight ahead of you. Go in the doorway he was in front of and follow the path to another enemy, kill him. Now turn right through the doorway and sprint through the room. The enemies will aggro and follow you but once you reach the fog door they can't follow you through.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yes, and NPC invaders drop unique gear frequently which is irritating.

NPC invaders are why I did my first play-through of the others in offline mode, because its hard enough to stay human when you don't know what's going on without people showing up to ruin your day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I didn't beat great wood tree balls on my first try

A shameful day.

Treeballs you are only slightly harder than bed of chaos

:negative:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Without being too spoilery, what allows you to respec and is there a finite amount of them?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Without being too spoilery, what allows you to respec and is there a finite amount of them?

It's a covenant and you can do it five times in a playthrough.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Apparently there's a covenant and an item related to that and you can respec max 5 per NG cycle

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

DS2 estoc had weird bad scaling and DS1 estoc had to compete with the BSS

But this... this will be the year of estoc...

Lothric Knight Sword exists and it's BSS 2.0 with true B/B scaling with Refined infusion. It also has 110 Critical if that wasn't enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The item in question are Pale Tongues, which can be found around the game world but are gotten en mass from PVP through the covenant otherwise (so don't give them away, just in case you have any already).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Traxis posted:

From the Crucifixion Woods bonfire you can get to the boss only having to fight 2 enemies, and you can sprint past the rest. Jump in to the swamp to the left of the crab you can see from the bonfire. Sprint ahead and you'll see some stairs. Go up and enter the building and kill the enemy straight ahead of you. Go in the doorway he was in front of and follow the path to another enemy, kill him. Now turn right through the doorway and sprint through the room. The enemies will aggro and follow you but once you reach the fog door they can't follow you through.

In short, I missed a bonfire...

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are hybrid builds viable early game or should you kind of stick to melee stats and then pump int/faith near the end if you want it, since the returns on those stats seem to be low starting out.

Since I have gotten my feet wet, I want to reroll and really want to do a hybrid as always, but I have found arguments against this more than for this.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Anyone having a problem where you summon people/get summoned and either you cant get through the fog wall or they cant?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Eastdrom posted:

Anyone having a problem where you summon people/get summoned and either you cant get through the fog wall or they cant?

Some one was talking about it all last night in here but I don't know if they ever solved their issue.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can somebody tell me what area the shortbow is found in? I want to rock a legolas build and I'm afraid I might have missed it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Eastdrom posted:

half of my summons today at wolnir prevented me from actually getting to the boss fight area

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Frankston posted:

Can somebody tell me what area the shortbow is found in? I want to rock a legolas build and I'm afraid I might have missed it.

You can find at least one bow right at the beginning of Lothric Highwall. Go past the dogs and into the second tower.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Alabaster White posted:

Lothric Knight Sword exists and it's BSS 2.0 with true B/B scaling with Refined infusion. It also has 110 Critical if that wasn't enough.
I have 5 sets of body armour. Nothing else drops from the bastards. :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

You can find at least one bow right at the beginning of Lothric Highwall. Go past the dogs and into the second tower.

Yeah I have the longbow, it's too slow for my liking though.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Frankston posted:

You can buy it from Greirat.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Some one was talking about it all last night in here but I don't know if they ever solved their issue.

ShadowMar posted:

half of my summons today at wolnir prevented me from actually getting to the boss fight area

I've been trying to be summonable for wolnir but every time i get stuck outside the gate. Cmon FROM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

You can buy it from Greirat.

Oh, really? I must have missed it. I saw he had the light crossbow, no shortbow though.