Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just got home, I just watched the flash, and I just read a bunch of the initial reactions.

I can't really analyze it to explain it but my feelings can be summed up best as follows: A grand story with a grand ending (be it in movies, television shows, books, plays, or video games) will do one of two things to me. Either make my eyes get a little watery or make me have goosebumps. Sometimes both! This ending did neither.

Oh well! Here's hoping the Epilogue we get after the game is out ends up having some cool poo poo the way Problem Sleuth's did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wow that sucked. I knew things were getting fishy when 12 trolls had to get introduced and explained. Should have trusted my gut feeling way back then. I wrote a big dumb fanfic series that turned out to have a more conclusive ending than this did. I can't even think of what an epilogue could do to salvage something so perfectly balanced on the razor's edge of vague by showing everything and explaining nothing. Ugh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rorus Raz posted:

Guys, I found out why this ending seems lackluster.

missed some pickups in the walkaround flashes apparently

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey since it was probably brought up in the 20 something pages since the update hit and I don't want to literally read every post...

What was the panel that a person saw way ahead of time that never ended up being in the comic?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DaveKap posted:

Hey since it was probably brought up in the 20 something pages since the update hit and I don't want to literally read every post...

What was the panel that a person saw way ahead of time that never ended up being in the comic?

That question actually hasn't been answered yet. I wonder what got edited out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Like I went to bed and woke up early expecting this to take me an hour to go through at least and instead I get a very pretty and pointless 10-minute mid-tier anime segment that no one asked for and answers nothing. I'm angry less at the ending and more at the years of story that just sagged a little limper because of it.

Just play Undertale, folks, it's a nice little game and at this point I'd say it's Homestuck's main reason for existing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

I think it's also that we don't spend a lot of time on scenes? Like the frog scene is actually pretty cool since we spend a decent chunk of time watching that little guy go. The rest goes by quickly that we don't even get to really digest most of it.

well its finally over and andrew hussie should go join kojima to make the most insane thing™ with an unusually large fanbase

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Like I went to bed and woke up early expecting this to take me an hour to go through at least and instead I get a very pretty and pointless 10-minute mid-tier anime segment that no one asked for and answers nothing. I'm angry less at the ending and more at the years of story that just sagged a little limper because of it.

Just play Undertale, folks, it's a nice little game and at this point I'd say it's Homestuck's main reason for existing.

I swear to Christ and the Almighty that Toby Radiation is some kind of magic vampire who cleanly stole all of Homestuck's wasted potential and somehow made a miracle out of it. It's the only explanation I got.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Black August posted:

I swear to Christ and the Almighty that Toby Radiation is some kind of magic vampire who cleanly stole all of Homestuck's wasted potential and somehow made a miracle out of it. It's the only explanation I got.

The dog absorbed the potential.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I heard homestuck's ending was up so blitz read a bunch of it and just saw it and well

I guess I wasn't missing anything

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
okay so the bingo kind of failed

how about some sort of pool on the epilogue? who wants to take 'never'?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so, jade's magic ball shows them the future where they enter their universe and are happy. But this doesn't actually happen because the door is linked to caliborn's juju, so the poo poo from the masterpiece occurs. lord English is born and the kids are trapped in the juju. then at another point in time Vriska releases the juju which maybe releases the kids again? Or maybe does something else? and the green sun is destroyed. And then what happens after that is just not expounded upon literally at all?? Is this about rjght? gently caress it my 'head canon' or whatever the gently caress is that the green sun's destruction created a black hole and killed everyone. w/e

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

Betting against that sounds like a suckers bet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

Epilogue's irrelevant, if you write "The End" then you just punched your ticket, buster. You can't pull back from that little two-word phrase, it lends too much import.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Okay so, jade's magic ball shows them the future where they enter their universe and are happy. But this doesn't actually happen because the door is linked to caliborn's juju, so the poo poo from the masterpiece occurs. lord English is born and the kids are trapped in the juju. then at another point in time Vriska releases the juju which maybe releases the kids again? Or maybe does something else? and the green sun is destroyed. And then what happens after that is just not expounded upon literally at all?? Is this about rjght? gently caress it my 'head canon' or whatever the gently caress is that the green sun's destruction created a black hole and killed everyone. w/e

Until the epilogue bullshits some last second excuse or tells us to Buy The Game, I'm going to assume that Calliope collapsed the Green Sun into a Black Hole Sun that ate all of Paradox Space and killed Caliborn and everything as he achieved ultra immortality or whatever, and some glitch poo poo happens because of it and the platform kids all escaped to a new Paradox Space, some World 0 new game bullshit. Whatever. I guess nobody dead gets to pass over through the door and get +1 life or something cool and gamey like that. Nobody wins we all die.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

/r/homestuck has “DON’T REPORT PEOPLE FOR SAYING THE ENDING WAS BAD” written at the top of the page lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Epilogue's irrelevant, if you write "The End" then you just punched your ticket, buster. You can't pull back from that little two-word phrase, it lends too much import.

THANKS FOR PLAYING

Commmander Egbert's adventures will continue in DLC.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

/r/homestuck has “DON’T REPORT PEOPLE FOR SAYING THE ENDING WAS BAD” written at the top of the page lol

ipgd was reportedly posting on /co/ and was more or less run out of town, which is funny

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Man, I'm real glad I checked out on this emotionally a while back, because I would have loving hated this garbage ending. Luckily Homestuck will soon be forgotten and dissappear from the Internet, hopefully inspiring some 16 year old kid somewhere to write something good in the next decade.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
After thinking about this more:
I enjoyed the spectacle, and the medium-bending elements of the story are unique enough to at least have been worth some of the hassle.

I'm just going to pretend it ended with Cascade, a huge battle with Jack, and an ambiguous ending involving the threat of the omnipresent, omnipotent, mysterious Lord English.

Or Undertale. I might instead go with the world where Andrew canceled the comic post Cascade and requested that all emotions felt towards the story be directed to Undertale as a spiritual successor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thinking it over the ending doesn't seem that bad, it's just unsurprising. I guess the lesson to take away here is not to expect an ending to undo and justify years of lovely writing and characters you hate.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WAR FOOT posted:

ipgd was reportedly posting on /co/ and was more or less run out of town, which is funny

Story I heard was that she told people it'd make them poo poo their pants, that was her only spoiler, and then the second it dropped she she something to the effect of "I told you so" and said goodbye forever and left. Then people started screaming.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

Was ipgd actually trying to defend the ending or were they simply the target /co/ decided to blame everything on?

Black August posted:

Story I heard was that she told people it'd make them poo poo their pants, that was her only spoiler, and then the second it dropped she she something to the effect of "I told you so" and said goodbye forever and left. Then people started screaming.

Well, if this is true it's not like she was wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now Hussie can go back to his true magnum opus Humanimals the Anime.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Was ipgd actually trying to defend the ending or were they simply the target /co/ decided to blame everything on?

No idea

Black August posted:

It almost sounds like they thought the ending was a garbage mess, too. Must be hard to tell your boss that the magnum opus they've been working on for years is terrible.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

The universe created by the kids in Homestuck is one in which Undertale gets to exist and entertain us.

Good End!

SynthOrange posted:

Now Hussie can go back to his true magnum opus Humanimals the Anime.
I have one of the frames in my signed book of either PS or HS. It's definitely happening.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Which was the poster that stayed up super late but called it like twenty minutes before the update dropped to get some sleep, and they'd read it in the morning?

this is going to be the worst 12th Perigree's gift

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I hope whatever Hussie does next he gets back even some of the spark.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Akett posted:

I hope whatever Hussie does next he gets back even some of the spark.

You mean the Homestuck game which has been slowly destroying him since the Kickstarter?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm really glad I stayed up and got this over with. I was able to get on the bitch train first and do some bitching before that got played out and people started bitching about the bitching.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey so I scanned most of the posts and the one about that song and the tumblr pics was good but here I'm gonna leave this here instead so if you wanted, like, an emotionally charged ending that made you feel something instead of confused/annoyed/empty then watch this because it hits nice and hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EUPvr2vEg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think it says a lot about Hussie's creative process that this is the ending we got, when he's said this took him four years to plan and he knew how Homestuck was going to end from the day it started.

He was never talking about the plot. He was talking about the look, the cinematography, all of that. All of Homestuck was building not to a singular story point, but to shots he's had in his head for years. Even if I'm not super into the result, I can respect that as a creative process; he basically wrote all of Homestuck to give context to the frog birthing scene. Which was pretty great as both a journey and a destination, even if it fell short to what I personally was expecting.

The only thing I'd say I was genuinely disappointed by here was just that it didn't play to what I wanted to see, and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. I wanted to see Lord English actually get done in--not because I wanted another fight scene, but because I wanted to see the inevitable weirdness that did it that Hussie's shown himself to be quite good at depicting and handling.

Even then, I'm not completely disappointed by its absence, because in the time since Homestuck started and got me hooked with its Weird Occasionally Metatextual Spacetime Bullshit, a lot of other things have come up, mostly in the video game realm, that performed exactly how I liked to see. Yeah, maybe Act 7 did fall short of my expectations, but I'm also playing Bravely Second right now and still think about Undertale's endings on the regular, so I'm not starved for what I was expecting. I just want to be able to bite into the really pretty and candy-colored, gloriously complicated yet somehow totally structurally sound take on it that Hussie would've given us.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Geez guys it's just a comic, stop being so assblasted about it.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It was confusing and unsatisfying much like this entire webcomic after the initial charm of the mystery, format and characters died off and it turned into endless masturbation and unfulfilled promises. Also what the gently caress was everything re: Lord English and Caliborn

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I think it says a lot about Hussie's creative process that this is the ending we got, when he's said this took him four years to plan and he knew how Homestuck was going to end from the day it started.

He was never talking about the plot. He was talking about the look, the cinematography, all of that.

I lost respect for the dude when he said writing was easy compared to art.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I just realized in the metanarrative the villain won: the ending nullified the basic ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I Love Annie May posted:

Geez guys it's just a comic, stop being so assblasted about it.

And here it is, the bitching about the bitching has just started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And here it is, the bitching about the bitching has just started.

I suspect the smoldering from this will go on for about a week before the fanbase at large stubs their cigarette out on Homestuck's coffin and walks away from the grave. Grey skies outside. A cold and gentle drizzle. All in attendance are solemn-faced, wearing the hats of serious men.