Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Test a 6S first. The majority of people adapt to a larger screen size very easily - and a 6S is still a very small phone compared to android flagships. The large screen size is a massive quality of life improvement if...:bravo2:

I went from a launch 4s to 64gb 6s and I literally have to change everytime I do anything on the 6s YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's what I was doing before but there is a limit to the total number of registrations you can have. Once I filled all of them with just my right thumb and it was not improved.

I've been using my phone in the field today using some of these suggestions but still no improvement. Sometimes it opens the third time or so I try, but sometimes it goes all the way to the point where it forces me to enter my passcode. Maybe my thumb prints are just inherently ill-suited to this for some reason...

My wife's thumbs also never work, so maybe it's like how photo booth on OS X doesn't recognize black people.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe my thumb prints are just inherently ill-suited to this for some reason...

Could well be. Are your fingers really dry and/or damaged in some kind of way? I issue passports as part of my job and have to take fingerprints. Once in a while there's a person with fingers that are really hard to get a proper fingerprint from.
Touch ID and our scanners use different technologies I think but there you go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My thumbs work fine.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's so amazing to me that people can afford so many other things but not upgrade from a 4. Like, how the hell

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not saying that poster is doing this but people have a weird way of undervaluing phones. Both in terms of valuing them for the hardware, and valuing them as a device they rely on daily for very important tasks.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I had to use an iPhone 4S for a time after shattering my 5's screen back in 2014 and it was an intolerable experience that I do not wish on anyone. It's a solidly built phone with a wonderful design, but it's horribly dog slow by modern standards. But I guess it's all relative.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My GF was using a 4s to replace her 4 before I gave her my old 5S this christmas. It is shockingly slow on iOS8 and above and would constantly force-close apps like WhatsApp.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Dave posted:

Not saying that poster is doing this but people have a weird way of undervaluing phones. Both in terms of valuing them for the hardware, and valuing them as a device they rely on daily for very important tasks.

Or buying gimped 16GB models instead of higher capacity models they can recoup most of the price differential back during resale AND not worry about running out of space between this whole time.

Probably for the same reasons why so many people are bad in personal finances.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 13, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Palladium posted:

What an odd assertion.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What an odd assertion.

Ah, somebody who has never worked retail.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Palladium posted:

Or buying gimped 16GB models instead of higher capacity models they can recoup most of the price differential back during resale AND not worry about running out of space between this whole time.

Or they just don't need a lot of space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Ah, somebody who has never worked retail.
Another odd assertion.

I'm just not seeing the correlation between "hey you should totally flip your iPhone every 2 years" and "consumer debt is bad, index funds are good, retirement savings are important." This would hardly qualify under BFC's criteria for GWM. If anything, the people I know who flip phones the most frequently are typically the least financially savvy people I know, but that's just one person's anecdotes.

So many strange assumptions based on smartphone behavior.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It's almost like people's utility is described by varying preferences. Hmm.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That's crazy talk.

Now, here's a comparison chart of phone specs and capabilities. Please peruse it while I go out and prop up the hood of my '98 beater with a stick so I can duct tape the radiator hose. Again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So strange that IYG of all places is a hotbed of classism.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So strange that IYG of all places is a hotbed of classism.

I think you mean DYP.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Is there a way to have my iphone never be syncable with a pc? I like being able to plug into my laptop or my desktop to recharge, but hate having to say no to photos and itunes every single time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FamDav posted:

Is there a way to have my iphone never be syncable with a pc? I like being able to plug into my laptop or my desktop to recharge, but hate having to say no to photos and itunes every single time.

Just change the device setting in iTunes and Photos. Google is your friend.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FamDav posted:

Here's an option somewhere in iTunes that's along the lines of Automatically sync with this iPhone that you can uncheck. A similar option exists in OS X Photos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're really super paranoid, you can get usb cables without the data pins connected. It'll only deliver power.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xzzy posted:

If you're really super paranoid, you can get usb cables without the data pins connected. It'll only deliver power.

I'd recommend against doing this. Pretty frustrating when you grab a USB cable to go on holiday, spend a while trying to figure out why nothing will sync through it, then realise you picked up the half-connected one. Voice of experience, etc..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put labels on my snowflake cables. :colbert:

But I'm kind of a nerd.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those cables are the loving worst.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

xzzy posted:

Me too! :hfive:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xzzy posted:

I threw it in the bin. Each to their own..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So Apple Music has been doing a terrible job of matching songs in my library lately. 75% of my live songs on my home desktop PC play the studio version on other devices. And then there's this slight mismatch:

Has anyone else seen some really bad song matching lately? It used to work just fine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If I get an iphone through Verizon do they monkey with the ROM like they do with their Android phones or is just a couple preloaded apps and that's it?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

skooma512 posted:

If I get an iphone through Verizon do they monkey with the ROM like they do with their Android phones or is just a couple preloaded apps and that's it?

they aren't allowed to gently caress with iphones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They can lock down features like tethering though. But I don't think any carriers are doing that these days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Some devices wont actually charge through those data-less USB cables because they require a data connection to request a higher amperage, I think.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

xzzy posted:

They can lock down features like tethering though. But I don't think any carriers are doing that these days.

i think verizon legally isn't allowed to do that on LTE devices.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

skooma512 posted:

It's literally identical to buying a SIM-free phone direct from Apple.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

baram. posted:

they aren't allowed to gently caress with iphones.

Not 100% true, I had the Vodafone app preloaded on my last phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not 100% true, I had the Vodafone app preloaded on my last phone.

It's still true of Verizon.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Touch ID on my 6s works through thin nitrile gloves. Pretty cool.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

baram. posted:

i think verizon legally isn't allowed to do that on LTE devices.

I'm on Virgin Mobile and if I want to tether from my phone I have to pay for a temporary pass. 6S with LTE.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but I think he's talking about Verizon's specific deal with the FCC a few years ago, when they wanted to buy some (700 MHz?) spectrum.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but I think he's talking about Verizon's specific deal with the FCC a few years ago, when they wanted to buy some (700 MHz?) spectrum.

Oooooh I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't think even the Vodafone app was pre installed at an OS level. It was probably setup and had the app installed for you through iTunes but nothing more.

All iPhones, at an OS level, are essentially identical to one another. There's no third party bloat ware like Android or carrier branding aside from the carrier being listed in the status bar.