Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KingFisher posted:

I'd be gay for this guy:
https://www.coolminiornot.com/271405

Sadly this mini is impossible to find.....
Yeah looks like the sculptor disappeared off the face of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah looks like the sculptor disappeared off the face of the earth.

Found a guy selling one for like 75 euros :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingFisher posted:

So uh seriously can any of you UK goons go give FW money for me?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-World-Exclusive-Forgeworld-Chaos-Dwarf-Legion-of-Azgorh-Daemonsmith-/191846874104
This dude is real expensive and I desire him.

A bunch of us are going to WHW next week, I can see about picking one up. Where are you based for shipping?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Ironjaws look a lot better when they're not wearing yellow

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is probably serious rose colored glasses going on but did orcs always look that uniform. Like here's the really old army book cover:

They all have individuality in their armor and weapons. Even their boars are all different. In all the new GW art everyone looks the same, like they are literally mass produced models. It's really subtly off-putting to me but it may have always been like that and I'm only now noticing it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Radish posted:

This is probably serious rose colored glasses going on but did orcs always look that uniform. Like here's the really old army book cover:

They all have individuality in their armor and weapons. Even their boars are all different. In all the new GW art everyone looks the same, like they are literally mass produced models. It's really subtly off-putting to me but it may have always been like that and I'm only now noticing it.

No they used to look good and have a nice amount of asymmetry. I'm guessing the shoulder pads and armor are now like that because its to design one half of a model easy to mirror in whatever 3D package they're using.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Radish posted:

ITT: The best book. This one was what got me into mini gaming back in 4th ed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

lilljonas posted:

ITT: The best book. This one was what got me into mini gaming back in 4th ed.

Me too, it was so cool as a kid.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It has like what, three times as many army list entries as the last WHFB O&G army book? Everything that came later was watered down in comparison.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
It was the first individual Army Book the Orcs got. 1st-3rd edition WHFB had all the rules in the main rulebook, I was about 16 at the time 4th came out so I'd stopped playing when they split the rulebook off into separate Army books. Next venture into gaming was the boxset with the Empire and Orcs in it (6th I think?)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That wallpaper looks weird as hell. All the chaos and orruks are standing next to each other with weapons raised, but no one is swinging or hitting or having just hit.

The art is actually what the models look like on the table. Static, poorly designed, identical blobs of troops standing motionless next to each other while infinite dice are rolled off screen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

richyp posted:

It was the first individual Army Book the Orcs got. 1st-3rd edition WHFB had all the rules in the main rulebook, I was about 16 at the time 4th came out so I'd stopped playing when they split the rulebook off into separate Army books. Next venture into gaming was the boxset with the Empire and Orcs in it (6th I think?)

It had a cool battle report where they wrote up a narrative to the game they played with full color pictures and troop movement diagrams. It's just really stark how different the feel of the game and company was back then. :corsair:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pawl posted:

Exactly one thing in that image really stands out, and it's a green ork head.

Only it's not, it's a nurgle head on Archaon's stupid horse.

It took me at least ten seconds to work out what was going on in that picture, it's just so low-contrast and boring.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So when Slaanesh got kidnapped by aelfs did the pink head on Archaon's dragon thing fall off or what

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Slaneesh wasn't around when Archeon was getting blessings from the chaos gods.

Great Horned Rat tried to give it a blessing but Archeon spit in his face and told him to gently caress off

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

thespaceinvader posted:

Exactly one thing in that image really stands out, and it's a green ork head.

Only it's not, it's a nurgle head on Archaon's stupid horse.

It took me at least ten seconds to work out what was going on in that picture, it's just so low-contrast and boring.

That was the first thing my eyes were drawn to, I'm glad you said what I was because I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Also the it's hard to tell whether the Orcs are marching with or against the Chaos guys as they're all angled as if they're approaching the viewer diagonally rather than directly at each other

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Skellybones posted:

So when Slaanesh got kidnapped by aelfs did the pink head on Archaon's dragon thing fall off or what

Half the remaining Slaanesh worshippers think Slaanesh is inside Archaon now anyway.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pawl posted:

So at their absolute best they look like black orcs, which has a great kit that was replaced for ~reasons~

Like goddamn why are they replacing/getting rid of all of their recent kits? They probably would've made a boatload of money if they just updated the 20 year old orc and common goblin multipart kits.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only thing I can think of is that some upper management guy had some vision about remaking the entire brand and that it would offset the costs of scrapping newly created IP and products. No one wanted to be the person to tell him to maybe ease into this glorious plan or that it's not working out so great so they have to see it through.

A similar thing happened to a friend where they did on site contract repairs on mechanical units. Some VP or whatever decided to automate the dispatch system so they could "save money" by firing the human dispatchers. The new system sent people on calls that were literally back and forth between states (so imagine getting a call in Pennsylvania, then one in Virginia, then back to Pennsylvania) instead of grouping them together and organizing them in a way to get the maximum amount of work done in a day. Accounts started canceling when their machines weren't getting fixed for days and rather than scrap it and admit they made a bad decision, the management decided to double down and then eventually start firing mechanics in order to balance the books which led to worse call times. People that think private companies are efficient because of the market have apparently never worked in a private company.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 13, 2016

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

A bunch of us are going to WHW next week, I can see about picking one up. Where are you based for shipping?

Seattle 98101

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Business Gorillas posted:

So at their absolute best they look like black orcs, which has a great kit that was replaced for ~reasons~

Like goddamn why are they replacing/getting rid of all of their recent kits? They probably would've made a boatload of money if they just updated the 20 year old orc and common goblin multipart kits.

Aside from the new yellow paint scheme, Ironjaw seem to look very close to the latest Black Orcs.

We'll have to wait and see a proper quality picture of the new releases to see the difference.

Updating models is a regular occurence in the miniatures business - it makes the product look better and it drives sales (ie: the goal of every business). The latest Lizardmen stuff looks totally different from the old models and usually the new models look better than the old ones.

Getting rid of Brettonians wasn't unexpected because they haven't touched them in like a decade and they didn't fill any kind of aesthetic niche besides "fancy knights", but it didn't make any sense for them to get rid of Tomb Kings because they were updated in 8th with some really cool models.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brettonians filled the void in Warhammer Fantasy where everything looked grim. Fancy knights while more stereotypical in other settings were an outlier in the old world and fit a niche for people that wanted cool looking, Arthurian style heroic knights. The 6th edition book also gave the peasants models a little more identity including the Grail Reliquae that was cool and had a kind of 40k Imperial feel to it. Much like Wood Elves before their 6th edition book the lack of popularity of the army probably had more to do with their lack of attention which led to stagnation and waning of interest. There's only so much you can do as a fan when your army is an edition behind through the meat grinder that was 7th, hasn't gotten new models for years, and ended up never getting modernized.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Stormcast fill that "not everything is hopeless all the time" niche that Bretonnians used to (sort of) have

They probably could have made some cool new Bretonnian stuff (like the Pegasus Knights and Grail Reliquae) but they chose to cut their losses and try something entirely new rather than trying to carve out an identity for a race that overlapped so much with the Empire.

Bretonnians were my first army and I have always liked them, but I think that creative well ran dry a long time ago.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pawl posted:

Aside from the new yellow paint scheme, Ironjaw seem to look very close to the latest Black Orcs.

We'll have to wait and see a proper quality picture of the new releases to see the difference.

Updating models is a regular occurence in the miniatures business - it makes the product look better and it drives sales (ie: the goal of every business). The latest Lizardmen stuff looks totally different from the old models and usually the new models look better than the old ones.

Getting rid of Brettonians wasn't unexpected because they haven't touched them in like a decade and they didn't fill any kind of aesthetic niche besides "fancy knights", but it didn't make any sense for them to get rid of Tomb Kings because they were updated in 8th with some really cool models.

I mean we've had pages upon pages of talks about the landslide in quality of GW sculpts ever since those t pose slayers came out.

I understand why companies update models, thanks, and I'm asking why are they releasing another "dude in heavy armor" kit after like 2 years of dude in heavy armor kits as opposed to updating the models in their range that can actually get an update

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pawl posted:

Stormcast fill that "not everything is hopeless all the time" niche that Bretonnians used to (sort of) have

They probably could have made some cool new Bretonnian stuff (like the Pegasus Knights and Grail Reliquae) but they chose to cut their losses and try something entirely new rather than trying to carve out an identity for a race that overlapped so much with the Empire.

Bretonnians were my first army and I have always liked them, but I think that creative well ran dry a long time ago.

Source your posts

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pawl posted:

Nah. There was definitely room for cool looking foot knights, more peasants maybe with some crazy jury rigged contraption, more heroic characters, updated plastics, and so forth. You don't need to scrap the entire line and remake everything to generate interest, just add incremental things with some creativity which the other armies all benefited from. Look at Vampire Counts which is pretty much just Halloween skeletons and zombies and that got new stuff for years.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingFisher posted:

Seattle 98101

I'll check with the US Crew and see if one of them is willing to ship domestic for you to cut costs when they get back then :)

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Radish posted:

Nah. There was definitely room for cool looking foot knights, more peasants maybe with some crazy jury rigged contraption, more heroic characters, updated plastics, and so forth. You don't need to scrap the entire line and remake everything to generate interest, just add incremental things with some creativity which the other armies all benefited from. Look at Vampire Counts which is pretty much just Halloween skeletons and zombies and that got new stuff for years.

There is a ton of unique design space with Vampire Counts because they had a ton of different aspects - multiple kinds of vampires, deadly animals, ghosts, skeletons, zombies, powerful necromancers, war machines, etc. There wasn't a lot of room to work with the Bretonnian because their themes were almost entirely focused on knights and peasants.

They were already overlapping heavily with Empire on warbeasts and knights; they didn't have a lot of space for war machines because of their knightly code of honor; and trying to push them into more druidic themes because of their association with Athel Loren would make them too similar to the Wood Elves. I suppose they could expand their unique style of casters, but they were never a big focus in the army. I think the only way forward for Bretonnians that didn't overlap with Empire/Wood Elves or make them grimdark like everyone else was to push their angelic theming that started with the Pegaus Knights, but this is exactly the niche that Stormcast fall into.

I'm not saying it was a good idea to cut them entirely, just that there wasn't a lot of potential to grow the faction in a unique or interesting way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you looked at Undead before the bloodlines and they separated Khemri into its own faction, it was basically movie draculas along with some mummies and other haunted house monsters. It took creativity to get to where it ended up and Brettonians could have gotten similar treatment if they cared and expanded on them. When you distill something down to their base and leave it there of course there's no room to expand but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff they could have done and you really only need like two new units in a book, a redesigned base kit, and some cool characters to revitalize an army. Maybe you bring in some Araby units that they allied with during a crusade, maybe they have some crazy magic peasant boys that Athel Loren allowed to leave? Even if you just leave them stuck with knights and peasants people would have been ok as long as they got new plastic to buy and rules that were modern.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pawl posted:

sigmarines are pretty much the absolute polar opposite of bretonnians

bretonnian knights were highly individualized men on horses that defend their tiny nation against the worst dragons and daemons chaos has to offer
sigmarines are completely anonymous supermen (who also have almost no sense of mortality since they just respawn immediately) that engage in purity wars, massacring innocent people and invading alternate realities to stamp out some nebulous idea of "corruption"

bretonnians charged against all odds, ignoring the fear of death against enemies much stronger than they are
sigmarines slammed their doors and locked everyone out as soon as chaos got too strong and now that they've toned down a bit they're sending forth their endless legions to crush anyone that doesn't think like them

if anything, sigmarines are more like chaos in the old world: an otherworldly race of heavily armored ubermenschen entirely devoted to endless war in the name of their god

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
They probably just joined the RenFaire faction

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If people are allowed to create their own Space Marine chapters, I should be allowed to have a reality bubble where it's just old-worlders of all races that re-enact what Warhammer used to be like but with foam swords and glitter ball magic so no one actually gets hurt.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Radish posted:

If you looked at Undead before the bloodlines and they separated Khemri into its own faction, it was basically movie draculas along with some mummies and other haunted house monsters. It took creativity to get to where it ended up and Brettonians could have gotten similar treatment if they cared and expanded on them. When you distill something down to their base and leave it there of course there's no room to expand but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff they could have done and you really only need like two new units in a book, a redesigned base kit, and some cool characters to revitalize an army. Maybe you bring in some Araby units that they allied with during a crusade, maybe they have some crazy magic peasant boys that Athel Loren allowed to leave? Even if you just leave them stuck with knights and peasants people would have been ok as long as they got new plastic to buy and rules that were modern.
I totally agree. It's a vicious cycle where you don't release new models so people don't buy them, so you don't release new models, so people don't buy them, and so on.

Thanks for reminding me that we'll never get an Araby faction :argh:

Business Gorillas posted:

sigmarines are pretty much the absolute polar opposite of bretonnians

bretonnian knights were highly individualized men on horses that defend their tiny nation against the worst dragons and daemons chaos has to offer
sigmarines are completely anonymous supermen (who also have almost no sense of mortality since they just respawn immediately) that engage in purity wars, massacring innocent people and invading alternate realities to stamp out some nebulous idea of "corruption"

bretonnians charged against all odds, ignoring the fear of death against enemies much stronger than they are
sigmarines slammed their doors and locked everyone out as soon as chaos got too strong and now that they've toned down a bit they're sending forth their endless legions to crush anyone that doesn't think like them

if anything, sigmarines are more like chaos in the old world: an otherworldly race of heavily armored ubermenschen entirely devoted to endless war in the name of their god

None of this is accurate. Sigmarines have individual identities and personalities (though they are as one-dimensional as almost everyone else in the setting); they don't engage in "purity wars", they fight Chaos to reclaim the realms for every mortal race; they were created after the other realms fell to Chaos as the elite shock troops that lead the crusade.

I have not heard of stormcast murdering innocents, can you source that?

Pawl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They actually gave the Brets a not entirely terrible bit of throw away fluff, but then decided to just drop it. Basically the left over Brets said "gently caress off" to Sigmar and went to hang with the elves who were busy doing things like actually taking down a Chaos god. But then it was decided as they didn't accept Sigmar as their personal savior they died off.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Pawl posted:

Sees green on left side:
"Hmm the orcs are all wearing black armour and look a lot like chaos. Oh wait, that's just the green head of that chaos mount."

Scans bottom of page to find orcs:
"Huh, I guess the orcs are wearing black armour and look a lot like chaos."

What is even happening in that picture? It's so bad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pawl posted:

None of this is accurate. Sigmarines have individual identities and personalities

I don't think we have seen a single named sigmarine, have we?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Ashcans posted:

I don't think we have seen a single named sigmarine, have we?

Quite a few. Grabbed a quick list off the wiki:

quote:

Celestant-Prime: The first of the Stormcast and the embodiement of Sigmar's storm, he wields the titular Warhammer, Ghal Maraz, into battle. He is the Avenging Angel of Azyr and the very comets are under his command.
Ionus Cryptborn: A Lord-Relictor that fought at the Eternals first incursion in the Brimstone Peninsula.
Vandus Hammerhand: Lord-Celestant of the Hammerhands, the first warrior-chamber of the Hammers of Sigmar.
Anactos Skyhelm: Leader of the Prosecutors and the Skyhost.
Orius Adamantine: Lord-Celestant of the Adamantine Warrior warrior-chamber of the Hammers of Sigmar.
Zephacleas: Lord-Celestant of the Beast-Bane warrior-chamber of the Astral Templars Stormhost.
Thostos Bladestorm: Lord-Celestant of the Celestial Vindicators Stormhost.
Gardus: Lord-Celestant of the Hallowed Knights Stormhost.

The Celestant-Prime has an identity beyond that title but it hasn't been revealed yet

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pawl posted:

Quite a few. Grabbed a quick list off the wiki:

The Celestant-Prime has an identity beyond that title but it hasn't been revealed yet

I thought there were multiples of them? I remember some official Black Library writer apparently having no clue how you pluralize words like that and then doing it wrong (it should be Celestants Prime you moron).

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
The Stormcast titles are terrible and confusing but the Celestal-Prime is a unique character like Karl Franz or Nagash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are no actual characters in Age of Sigmar. Just various screamy noun-verbers fighting over poo poo no-one cares about.

Oh poo poo. It's the world Archaon always wanted! A world where everyone is as boring and pointless as him! That was the plan!

• Locked thread