Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

WAR FOOT posted:

still slightly disappointed the last panel wasn't gamzee wearing a smoking jacket, sitting in a leather chair in front of a rustic fireplace, smiling gently at the reader, taking off his glasses, and closing the book titled HOMESTUCK

there's still the epilogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Slime posted:

Did Meenah even really do anything? She got the idea for the ghost army but that was mostly down to Vriska. And then the ghost army accomplished nothing at all anyway. The only relevance Meenah had was as a peek into how Condy thought. Yup, Hussie could definitely have not made the Beforus trolls a thing and it wouldn't have made a drat difference. We had no real reason to care about them, and if he had to do the whole scratched session thing he could have focused on the Beforus versions of the existing trolls. The trolls people actually had a reason to give a poo poo about, and be invested in what happened to them in another timeline.

Aranea ended up being more important to the story than Meenah

Also her dumb plan to Doom then Heal a timeline kind of ended up working, in that it created a win state

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

actually, which characters didn't Aranea end up outweighing in terms of importance and impact on the plot, because I'm pretty sure that's not the correct takeaway here

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, I really really am craving more dialogue in the epilogue, here's hoping for that, and I don't care how cheesy and Harry Potter-epilogue-esque it might be, I just wanna see the characters from Andrew Hussie's Homestuck talk just a l'il more about their feelings.

The animation was really pretty though. It's a real achievement. And it does all make sense. It's just...drat!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

actually, which characters didn't Aranea end up outweighing in terms of importance and impact on the plot, because I'm pretty sure that's not the correct takeaway here

Gamzee, John, Roxy, Terezi, off the top of my head. Dave's pretty important too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Who What Now posted:

The ending being bad, Or T/Oxx hating it regardless?

It works both ways really. I liked the ending, but I could see how about half the people that saw it were ready for that level of ending 2 years ago, rather than now after that much build up. And of course the obvious way of reading it as T/Oxx haven't been happy with the direction of the comic for a really, really, really long time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Like, I really really am craving more dialogue in the epilogue, here's hoping for that, and I don't care how cheesy and Harry Potter-epilogue-esque it might be, I just wanna see the characters from Andrew Hussie's Homestuck talk just a l'il more about their feelings.

The animation was really pretty though. It's a real achievement. And it does all make sense. It's just...drat!

john and roxy have kids, naming them calbus-severus, dad and...i guess the closest thing to harry's mom in homestuck is rose, on account of her being roxy's mother figure.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

John and Roxy naming their child Dad is the greatest idea I ever heard.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

"hi dad, i'm dad"

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Please gas this thread before the post-homestuck fanfiction can take root

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It seems to me that most of the people who hated it were already getting quite unhappy with Homestuck by this point. I remember being in this thread during Act 6 and the mounting resentment was palpable then, so I'm starting to think this is less about the ending itself and more about all those years of frustration coming to a head? Those of you who really hated it-- was it because you were holding out hope that it was going to redeem Homestuck for you somehow? Because in that case no ending would have sufficed for you. These questions like "what was the point of Act 6" and "why is Lord English the villain instead of Jack" have been around for years, and if you already felt that way I can't see how any ending would have changed that.

There was never going to be a final beatdown. Both from an in-universe perspective, where we've basically seen the cast solve LE like a long puzzle instead of kill him in a final boss fight, and from a narrative perspective, where that was never really the plan. I keep referencing that Dave quote about people not having arcs. Yes, I know that was a line in a work of fiction and it was about fictional characters, but those don't need to have an arc either! That's what Dave meant. There aren't arcs in this story with big resolutions. There's characters who go through stuff happening and sometimes they change in response to it, or not, and their interactions with each other and the universe are funny and interesting.

That's also why these questions about whether a character was necessary or not miss the mark. This isn't about having exactly the right mix of characters to fuel the plot engine, and no more. You liked Meenah, right? She was cool, and funny. She had her own goals and if she didn't wind up getting her 30 seconds of animated fame by poking Lord English as her remixed leitmotif played, then it's okay. The fact that you want only the minimum number of characters necessary to package up the plot and for everyone to get their moment to shine which is also the moment they finally overcome their tragic flaw and also get an equal share in taking down the big bad guy's lifebar is a problem with your expectations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slime posted:

john and roxy have kids, naming them calbus-severus, dad and...i guess the closest thing to harry's mom in homestuck is rose, on account of her being roxy's mother figure.

He could name one Jane, since she's his Ecto-mom?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Daius posted:

dave rubs karkat's horns tenderly. "where is the bucket?" he whispered, throatily

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
I like the ending to homestuck and it is everything I wanted and more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

:agreed:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Me and Dolash both love Homestuck but neither of us enjoyed the ending, although I think he hated it more.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I adore Homestuck, liked the ending, but thought it was just pretty good and could have done with a more conclusive wrap-up.

That part isn't a big deal to me though - so much as getting to spend time with some of the neglected characters, like Jane and Jake, who were once prominent in the narrative spotlight and then just petered out into not much. Jane especially was the nominal protagonist of a large part of the comic and in the final updates seems like an afterthought - in the group shots of the kids gazing into the door in Act 7, she doesn't even appear.

I don't consider that a grievance though, it's just something I'd liked to have seen expanded on that wasn't.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
ok, i watched the ending

the animation was cool and all.

it's just that the ending sucked.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Good morning thread

I got words to write and boy howdy I know they're gonna make some of you real hot under the collar but first I must make the journey home.

See y'all in a few.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

ok, i watched the ending

I know. I know it let you down.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slime posted:

Maybe they end up calling her Joey.

Then again, by this point that's probably too on-the-nose.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

WAR FOOT posted:

Yeah, Aranea's role ended up being pretty important in the overall arc of the story, but my main point was that this role could likely have been filled by another rather than adding two additional universes and 16 more main characters to the story's lineup.

Android Blues posted:

Also kinda this...the story up until now has been so dialogue-heavy that the way it ended felt sort of awkward. Rewatching Act 7, it all makes sense but it still feels like a super abrupt ending to a story that's been going on for years now. There's no real denouement to everything and it just sort of...ends.

The people posting about how the ending doesn't really seem to fit I feel are kind of right. I mean, tons of previous flashes have been linked that all accomplish their goals, but also have a lot of dialogue interspersed in between in order to properly build tension and attachment to the characters' plight. In this case there's a lot of build-up, but it's spread out over a large cast instead of being focused on the big, singular battle that everyone has been hoping for since like 5 years ago.

In the end, though, it's not my story so I'm not going to give Hussie a lot of poo poo over his design decisions. He did things the way he wanted to and sometimes that works out perfectly and sometimes it doesn't. Comes and goes with being a loving artist and creating poo poo in general. However, I will post a link to [S] Enter because seriously, this is what got me hooked on this comic like a billion years and an entire lifetime ago. I mean, just look at it:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003049

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Freak Futanari posted:

ok, i watched the ending

I'm sorry.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

However, I will post a link to [S] Enter because seriously, this is what got me hooked on this comic like a billion years and an entire lifetime ago. I mean, just look at it:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003049

Knowing that it got from there to here sort of rui-

aw, who am I kidding I still love the entire drat start of this comic

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 13, 2016

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

ok, i watched the ending

How Komm Susser Todd worthy do you think it is

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
At least it works pretty well.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Slept on it thoughts:

- Given that we were given most of the pieces of the ending ahead of time, it now kinda makes sense (in hindsight) that we didn't actually see the pieces get put together. I mean, it's an artistic choice. We can still figure out what happened in the big picture (mostly), but the small stuff is left to the reader to decide. That's fine.

- Would there probably have been more if this had been made a few years ago? Probably.

- Do I actually want a dialoglog-heavy epilogue? I'm... not sure. Honestly, Homestuck is this big, massive thing, and no ending could satisfy in truth. Maybe it would be better to just leave it here.

I've decided that even if the ending was uneven, the journey was enjoyable. I got a lot of happy hours and some new friends out of reading this comic, and that's really all I ask for.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

that makes no sense at all because Dad, Kanaya, Terezi, and Karkat are missing from the masterpiece, and it raises the question of how they got to the new universe if their door leads to Caliborns lair

I skipped reading like 6 pages of whinging so apologies if this has been brought up before. After sleeping on it, I think that , from the perspective of the kids, the events of Caliborn's masterpiece never actually happened. They just opened the door to the new universe and went in and had a good time. Caliborn, after smashing his clock, fights super powered versions of the kids that he himself brought in to existence by presenting his masterpiece in the narrative. Essentially he had the power to bring his own fan-fiction into the narrative, and the kids he fought and who defeat him at the end as well has his own ripped self insert(s) are all extensions of that power. I think him presenting the events that were going to happen were enough to make them something that actually is going to happen / already happened, and because of game rules, leads to his own downfall.

Anyway, that's what I think. Overall I really enjoyed watching/reading all of Homestuck, and on reflection think that this was a pretty solid ending. Sorry if you didn't like it. :shrug:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My biggest worry about the epilogue is that it might also not be what we want, and god knows how far away it is / how long it will take to do.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
How can you spend years arguing that homestuck is too long and big and then complain that the ending wasnt enough dialogue

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

How can you spend years arguing that homestuck is too long and big and then complain that the ending wasnt enough dialogue

it is too long (because of bad things) and too big (because it is filled with bad things) but the solution isn't to get rid of a good thing

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Me and Dolash both love Homestuck but neither of us enjoyed the ending, although I think he hated it more.

I was pretty on-board until about... The post-retcon meeting on the lilipad. There was some funny dialogue, but then the energy just seemed to vanish. Sure, I didn't think the alpha kids were as interesting or as vital, and Trickster Mode was a bit of a wash, but Hussie hugely raising the stakes in Game Over, and adding an extreme level of tension, and showing just how dangerous the Condesce could be - And that she was so far beneath Lord English as a threat, that she couldn't even challenge him! I was genuinely excited. Honestly, as much as I love her as a character, I'm starting to think Vriska coming back is what stalled out the dynamic of the comic. She took charge, everyone agreed, the plan was discussed, and then it worked. Pretty much flawlessly. This, in and of itself, is unusual in fiction. Normally, the more a plan is discussed, the more it is challenged by the plot. Then, we stalled out again, and momentum was lost. I was curious to see if Hussie could stick the landing, as even though it was quite obvious Game Over was going to be undone, the dramatic elements were there.

Remem8er also set some great tone! I didn't really start to lose faith until Collide, though. Gone was the badass, powerful threat in the Condesce - Where she had thrown planets, controlled minds, and disintegrated others in moments before, she now walked and spun a spear a bunch. Spades Slick fought the kids for some reason. Jake vs. the Felt worked fine (What happened to the Felt). I was uneasy, but convinced a strong landing could still seal the deal. A bit of a stumble. Homestuck is known for it's dialogue, and there was no real feeling of a final 'talk' anywhere. I think I became more and more disenfranchised as the last week of updates happened. I think I knew after the first one that it was just going to be still frames, but I kept hoping that the finale would bring it all home. We'd have interactions, they'd pose as a team, the stakes would be raised, and we'd see Lord English defeated. It might not be through combat or a dramatic battle, but he'd get dunked on, somehow. Jake'd give Lord English his first defeat, and maybe finally graduate from weeniedom. Yet, we didn't really get anything. It was like the last week of the comic, someone flipped a switch, and Homestuck wasn't really, to me, tonally the same comic anymore. I kept holding out for a huge update today, and while it was very pretty, it lacked meat. To me, at least.It raised as many questions as it answered. There was no payoff for a bunch of characters - Meenah felt particularly egregious. We know the ghosts are now all likely dead, too. Maybe. For real. As I said at the end of Collide, it felt like Hussie had checked out, and that we didn't have any of his art assets really drove it home for me. I wanted to wait it out until the end though, having faith that he hadn't let me down in the past, and landed some big stuff before.

Well, Vriska's right.

Hope really is the worst aspect.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I never stopped liking this comic, even during act 6 when everyone else seemed to be hating it, I was still enjoying it.

This ending, including all those pretty-but-dialogueless pages after Collide, is just a big wet fart of disappointment. It contains nothing of what I enjoyed about this comic for all these years, it contains nothing that I was hoping to see happen or get resolved in the end.

I wish the comic had just never come back, that honestly would've been a preferable outcome to what we just got. I was happier when I'd forgotten about it than I am now, having been reminded of all the stuff I was looking forward to seeing resolved, and then having it just... not, followed by "The End"

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
the ending was so bad that i'm genuinely upset, even though i was pretty sure i had stopped caring about homestuck by now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As far as Spades Slick fighting the kids, I buy it because he's a) a murderous sociopath who views most people not directly useful to him as potential future dead torsos, b) a game construct whose core programming is to attempt to kill Sburb players and c) he has a personal beef with Terezi, since she double-crossed and exiled him on Snowman's orders back in the A2 session.

The second one is important! Whatever else Spades Slick has since become, at its core the Jack Noir character is effectively a murderous Dick Dastardly who serves as an antagonist to the players in his session.

Karkat being able to deal with him was a special thing indicative of Karkat's good qualities. He's not normally a reasonable guy and he has every reason in this specific case to want to stab some kids to death.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, remember when Hussie was nursing Spades Slick back to health and Slick was actively trying to stab him to death from his sickbed? That's the kind of personality we're talking about here.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
homestuck did not end, ending implies closure

homestuck stopped

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I really enjoyed the final update and the only thing I'd want more from it is a better sense of how all of those final scenes are connected in the grand scheme of things. It's been a long time due to the many pauses since I've been fresh on the details, and it would have been a kindness to get some more context for how these things were all part of the payoff. I'm planning on rereading the whole drat thing and I think by the end of that I'll finally be able to pull together a full interpretation of it. But I've read a good amount of discussion on it so far and it seems like a lot of people are in general as confused as I am. I'm curious to see if that feels less like the case if you read the whole thing in one go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Like, remember when Hussie was nursing Spades Slick back to health and Slick was actively trying to stab him to death from his sickbed? That's the kind of personality we're talking about here.

If Hussie was trying to nurse me to health I'd stab him too, that says nothing about Slick.

I mean, have you seen the guy? Horses everywhere.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spades Slick was always going to be superfluous to the plot the second Hussie was directly involved in bailing him out of his dead universe. You could have easily removed Slick and little would have changed except some comic reflief during Collide with Jake, Karkat, and the Felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i'm gonna spend the rest of today wallowing in misery and disappointment.