Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He's Drawing Out Your True Strength duuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Persevere and you'll rock through it in no time, optimal build or not (my build was not optimal).

I just did it with basically no armor, a grass crest shield and a +3 fire Astora's. The opposite of optimal and it wasn't even a thing. I don't like the multi-boss (or super large boss) fight mechanics because it makes the camera the real boss, but that isn't the hardest thing the game is going to throw at you. I kinda liked that fight.

The Catacombs, on the other hand... yeah. I wish I had a quitout counter because it'd be through the roof after that place. It probably didn't help that I didn't find the mid-zone bonfire until after I found Captain Bracelets.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Question for the end of the fourth area: In the Cathedral, is there a way to re-raise the third gate after the Siegward lowers it to make you fight the giant? I've been looking everywhere but I can't find a lever for it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Fighting the Cathedral 2-Hander Knights, I can't believe anyone thought the Black Knights from DS1 were bullshit

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

turtlecrunch posted:

Are you an archer only? If not then just stand between their feet and hit them.

That's it? There's no other option? loving Christ...

FutonForensic posted:

Fighting the Cathedral 2-Hander Knights, I can't believe anyone thought the Black Knights from DS1 were bullshit

Everything in this game makes Black Knights look easy to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Fire infused weapons lose all stat scaling.
That much I know. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just got dogpiled by:

An npc invader
A real(?) blue invader
Hollows with branches
A crucifix dude
A giant crab

Every one of them wanted me dead so bad.

It was kinda funny

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I wished he had gone full goop monster in phase 2 because right now phase 2 is just fiery phase one.

:same:

Especially weird since as far as I can tell you're literally standing on his body the entire fight. Would have been cool if he had absorbed you and you had to fight him inside of him like that one Yoshi's Island boss fight.

Still, at least the fight is wonderfully atmospheric.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Seriously though. How do you get past the giants in the cathedral? I'm not stupid (at least not all of the time). I am not going to stand under its feet and plink away forever. What's the actual solution?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Skeleton King posted:

Seriously though. How do you get past the giants in the cathedral? I'm not stupid (at least not all of the time). I am not going to stand under its feet and plink away forever. What's the actual solution?

Run past them?

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

I dunno? I used a bow.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You attack them. They don't have that much HP. It doesn't take much more than a minute each.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok last night wasn't rolling being good. Last night is the servers not working. The moment a phantom appears the game shits the bed. Just had an invader where we both kept walking out of each other's backstabs. Scholar was almost perfect for connections how did they get worse?

e: How does poise work in this by the way because not a single attack, even ones with hyper armor, has NOT been interrupted.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah I mean you can just run around them...

Genocyber posted:

:same:

Especially weird since as far as I can tell you're literally standing on his body the entire fight. Would have been cool if he had absorbed you and you had to fight him inside of him like that one Yoshi's Island boss fight.

Still, at least the fight is wonderfully atmospheric.

That would have been super cool. And yeah, the entire approach and treatment of him is really great. The sludge creeping up the staircase behind the dead giant blacksmith and then of course all over the grand hall which used to be so pristine really bothered me because you knew Aldrich was hunting something specific before you even saw him.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Fromsoft how did you manage to make an area worse than both Blighttown and Valley of Defilement combined, you poo poo-speckled prolapsed anuses.

GotY 20Forever 100/10.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is the dude I released from the bridge giving me 'free' level ups, I don't trust it.....

Nonsense. Absolutely nothing can go wrong. Think of all the souls you'll save.

I accepted to see whether they are really "free" or if you'll have to pay a increased cost for the next level. [spoiler]The cost of souls for next level increases, so at most you're saving some grinding[/spoiler[]

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure asking in the thread for the most recent game makes the most sense. Which Souls game is the best for a beginner to start with? I know they're all difficult, but I would think some are considered better starting points than others. Again, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well, Wolnir was a fun fight, both of my phantoms got oneshot by some sort of fog breath though.
Not having any luck finding large titanite shards though, weapon's still just +3.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 13, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Annath posted:

OK, awesome.

Now what precisely do I need to trade for my Lucatiel cosplay?

Vertebra shackle from the purple NPC phantom or doing your own purplebroing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Beeez posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure asking in the thread for the most recent game makes the most sense. Which Souls game is the best for a beginner to start with? I know they're all difficult, but I would think some are considered better starting points than others. Again, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

Dark Souls, but you can start with DS3 too (now is a good time to play because the community is vibrant and alive, but all the games have lasting communities), you just might get too gud and then all the others will be easy.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Beeez posted:

I find DS2 to be pretty easy compared to this one. cant speak for SotFS though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Beeez posted:

If you are a broke goon then DS1 is still a perfectly fine entry into the series. I would argue that DS3 probably is the most "friendly" of them, especially if you are a magic user since you have a mana bar now rather than a limited number of spell casts, but really any of them are good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bohemian Nights posted:

So I am completely new to dark souls and apparently I just got invaded, which I assume means another player wants to fite me

How do I turn this off or preferably cheese my way out of ever having to meet another player in this game at any point

Alternatively, turn on the Way of Blue covenant and let the PVP Police get you free souls from the invaders!

Although I guess that means meeting more players, which you don't like because you hate fun.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I find DS2 to be pretty easy compared to this one. cant speak for SotFS though

SotFS Mixed up enemy placement and is harder in some regards, but IIRC the items are doled out more generously as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I'm finding it kind of boring after how fast paced BB was

Have you fought the dude on the way out of the undead settlement?

Because if you want faster than that, I dunno what to say.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I just hit them in the feet until they died. They don't have that much HP.

Alternate solutions:

1) Run past them

2) There is an event that causes one of them to move to the center of the room and forces a fight so you don't have to fight in the slime and can actually move/dodge

3) You can get up on the rafters waaay up in the top of the cathedral and try to jump down and stab them in the head. I did not try this and cannot be responsible if it just ends in an embarrassing death

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Have you fought the dude on the way out of the undead settlement?

Because if you want faster than that, I dunno what to say.

Dark souls 3 is still way slower than Bloodborne.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
DS1 -> DS3 -> Demon's Souls -> Bloodborne -> DS2:SOTFS might be an okay play order, if you really want something different after DS3 you can switch over to Bloodborne and save DeS for after that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Andrast posted:

With no rally system this should hardly be a surprise. The two games have always been fairly different

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Second area spoilers- the loving drake is already dead and lying in the ruins of the bridge. And the dogs from DeS have been hiding so long they've turned into skeletons

:allears:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you want to see a really freaky dog drop down from that bridge in Road of Sacrifices right before the bonfire where you meet Anri.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Any set locations for Raw Gem? I didn't get one from the first cute little crystal lizard you meet this time, and this character needs it real bad. Done three laps with +itemfind of the highwall already since rarely it drops from a random hollow.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 13, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Karanas posted:

The great scythe is really cool you guys. I made it sharp, its two-hander move set is really good, and it's got great reach. I've nailed more than a few invaders at the tail end of their dodge with it and maybe I'm just imagining it, but they seem to be wary of me when I advance on them. Don't know how many are using it over the katana or other popular weapons right now.

They really did improve the moveset for the scythe, feels really handy now, great reach and arcs on it, fast too. Tempted to build a character around it though the supposed neck chopper attack doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Can anyone direct me to where the hell I can find more crystal 'lizards'. I've fought two so far, but I really want to use the wolf Knight greatsword and +1 can't even compete with my +4 dark sword

IE where are all the titanite scales at

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far, I'm impressed with the level design in this. High Wall of Lothric was largely circular, which I wasn't really expecting, but ultimately pretty cool, it's like a big honeycomb. Undead Settlement really surprised me because I got to the boss there and beat it without realizing there was an entire other half of the level with two whole bonfires that I'd missed, with tons of NPCs and the path to the next area. It was cool.

Road of Sacrifices, I didn't quite like as much, but I've never really liked the "here's a big swamp, explore" levels. Similarly, I'm kinda dreading Farron Keep for the same reason.

So: should I do Farron Keep or Cathedral of the Deep first?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Andrast posted:

It might have some slower enemies but gently caress if I'm playing any game which requires me to be faster than I was to kill that fucker.

I don't want a dark souls game where everything is a crack addled lunatic attacking 100 times a minute.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Do Cathedral of the Deep first stoooop moving so fast thread

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Einwand posted:

Well, Wolnir was a fun fight, both of my phantoms got oneshot by some sort of fog breath though.
Not having any luck finding large titanite shards though, weapon's still just +3.

That's where they expect your weapon to be at that point. Skeletons drop tons of small titanite because they want you to have a +3 by then, in the next areas you'll start finding large ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Any set locations for Raw Gem? I didn't get one from the first cute little crystal lizard you meet this time, and this character needs it real bad. Done three laps with +itemfind of the highwall already since rarely it drops from a random hollow.

I got about five of them from random dweebs on the wall. Seems pretty common honestly. I'd say that's your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jade Mage posted:

Can anyone direct me to where the hell I can find more crystal 'lizards'. I've fought two so far, but I really want to use the wolf Knight greatsword and +1 can't even compete with my +4 dark sword

IE where are all the titanite scales at

Unfortunately Titanite Scale upgrades are a complete mofo to get hold of until later in the game, or if you get all the luck in the world and all the larger lizards drop two each time. There is one very difficult path that can be taken early on that eventually leads to a cache with treasurechests of them, and it's as follows (lightest possible spoilers): Remember the old lady that told you how to leave Highwall? Kill her, kill what comes, head straight forwards and continue the exploration. When you find a dark cool place with someone really chill you're in the right spot