Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shellman posted:

Not sure how the winder works with this but this sounds like what happened to me when I had the body battery in backwards (or not in at all).

I took the winder off to troubleshoot this.

When looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50lAnvFHoc

Observing the curtains there, my camera is actually in the state that his is in when he winds it, before he presses the shutter release and the other curtain comes down. So I guess my shutter just won't release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Shellman posted:

Not sure how the winder works with this but this sounds like what happened to me when I had the body battery in backwards (or not in at all).

It doesn't work at 1/125 which is the mechanical no battery required mode, so it's gotta be the shutter itself.

Buying a new camera that doesn't work is always a bummer. Too bad this didn't happen sooner because I used to own several ME Super bodies along with a 50mm lens I could have donated. Down to just one now.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Ektar that expired in 2013, but I've kept in my fridge should still be fine right?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Got this bad boy. I don't think they made this camera in black, so I'm curious how it was painted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322067102199

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

edit: woops

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

Ektar that expired in 2013, but I've kept in my fridge should still be fine right?

Yeah should be.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Karl Barks posted:

Got this bad boy. I don't think they made this camera in black, so I'm curious how it was painted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322067102199

Every one of those I have seen in Japan is black.

Also, a couple weeks ago I picked up a Bessa T Heliar 101 in green, in box/never used, without the 50/3.5 Heliar for a bit under 30,000 yen. Slapped on my Color-Skopar 35.

Poor thing was purchased for it's lens that probably got thrown on a Leica with the camera never touched. I've thrown a few rolls of Tri-X 400 through it and am on a roll of Oriental New Seagull 400 now. Should have a negative scanner next payday.

No viewfinder but they're a bit overrated.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

eggsovereasy posted:

Ektar is never fine ayways...

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Primo Itch posted:

Ektar is never fine ayways...

Ektar is a fine name for my level 12 barbarian.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
is it common for a camera to meter two lenses differently?

I've noticed my k1000 meters my f2/50 or f1.7/50 differently from my f2.8/28 or is my lens or camera borked?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Understanding posted:

is it common for a camera to meter two lenses differently?

I've noticed my k1000 meters my f2/50 or f1.7/50 differently from my f2.8/28 or is my lens or camera borked?

The t-stop of the lens can be slightly different for different lenses due to the lens coatings and optical design.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Do the lenses all have an aperture indexing bar? You might need to use stopped down metering for ones that don't. But then again I don't know if any k mount lenses weren't auto aperture indexing.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Do the lenses all have an aperture indexing bar? You might need to use stopped down metering for ones that don't. But then again I don't know if any k mount lenses weren't auto aperture indexing.

both of my lenses are SMC pentax lenses, i've shot two rolls with my 28mm and it was, like, a stop underexposed after I've developed.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Understanding posted:

both of my lenses are SMC pentax lenses, i've shot two rolls with my 28mm and it was, like, a stop underexposed after I've developed.

Depending on where the meter is in the camera, the effective image circle (which is larger than the frame) of the 28mm is much larger and brighter at the edges with an equivalent t-stop as well. Your 28mm may be hitting the meter with far more light than the 50, causing it to read higher than scene.

I would just meter then go one stop up to compensate if it's reliably -1 to your shooting style.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

It doesn't work at 1/125 which is the mechanical no battery required mode, so it's gotta be the shutter itself.

Buying a new camera that doesn't work is always a bummer. Too bad this didn't happen sooner because I used to own several ME Super bodies along with a 50mm lens I could have donated. Down to just one now.

That's kind. I might bug you with PMs as I figure out how to tear this thing down.

e: Is anyone willing to take a cell phone video of the bottom of their ME Super while they wind it once or twice? Would like to see if my mechanism is functioning correctly! Thanks.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 13, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I bought a Pentax ME Super + 50mm f/1.4 SMC K for no real reason other than I wanted it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Same reason I use for all my film cameras

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Thoogsby posted:

I bought a Pentax ME Super + 50mm f/1.4 SMC K for no real reason other than I wanted it.

My favorite camera+lens combo. Even at 1.4, it's pretty decently sharp in the tiny sliver of focus

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So it turns out my dad has had a Pentax SuperProgram camera with a ton of filters and lenses sitting in a backpack at the back of his closet for years he just handed me today to go with my x-t1. However the camera looks to be quiet crusty with dust around the dials, in the view finder, and in the camera on the mirror itself but otherwise works just fine. What's the best way to clean it up or would the best option be to bring it into a camera shop to have it done? I know literally nothing about film cameras

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I used to use isopropyl alcohol on a rag, and q-tips or pipe cleaners to get in the tight areas. But I found that ronsonol lighter fluid is way way better at removing oil and grime, and evaporates with virtually no residue or leftover odor. I also found that alcohol can damage some rubber and plastic surfaces, so I stopped using it. Use compressed air to remove dust from the lens and viewfinder before rubbing anything on them to prevent scratches. Ronsonol is really nasty to breathe in, so use it somewhere ventilated.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

I used to use isopropyl alcohol on a rag, and q-tips or pipe cleaners to get in the tight areas. But I found that ronsonol lighter fluid is way way better at removing oil and grime, and evaporates with virtually no residue or leftover odor. I also found that alcohol can damage some rubber and plastic surfaces, so I stopped using it. Use compressed air to remove dust from the lens and viewfinder before rubbing anything on them to prevent scratches. Ronsonol is really nasty to breathe in, so use it somewhere ventilated.

Also don't go overboard with Ronsonol because it removes lubricants.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you just want to dampen a rag with it slightly. You don't want it dripping.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Oh my god I've bought a Leica.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

It's ok, film Leicas are the good ones.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Unless it's an M7

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Xabi posted:

I kind of want to start a rangefinder/scale focus technique thread to counteract the DSLR threads because let's be honest SLRs with fancy autofocus are great for photos you take for other people but rangefinders and MF lenses are great for photos you take for you and forcibly rip you into the world of thinking harder about your photography.

So sup rangefinder budd(y|ies) how would you feel about a thread like this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KEH today is doing a "lost and found" sale on film backs, finders, prisms and viewfinders. It's mostly film stuff. Extra 20% off with code BPF20. Expires 11PM Eastern time tonight.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Dü it

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

windex posted:

I kind of want to start a rangefinder/scale focus technique thread to counteract the DSLR threads because let's be honest SLRs with fancy autofocus are great for photos you take for other people but rangefinders and MF lenses are great for photos you take for you and forcibly rip you into the world of thinking harder about your photography.

So sup rangefinder budd(y|ies) how would you feel about a thread like this?
Is there enough to say about it to warrant a thread? I might not be the right person to ask though as I don't have much experience with rangefinders. This greasy German adventure could end up with me realising that SLRs are the way to go.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I've noticed I'm shooting more with my XA or 35rc than my k1000. I dunno, it's like, I'm more self-conscious of the act of taking a photo, or I find the mirror slap annoying to deal with. It's also easier to know that you're in focus with a RF and it's quicker too.

There's been a lot of working knowledge been lost since digital displaced, there used to be some copies of an old photo magazine from the 80's laying around my college darkroom filled with all sorts of stuff nobody's remembers how to do the old fashioned way.

There's also the fact that many historic photos were done on rangefinders, so there's got to be something to it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I kinda want to nerd out about all the Soviet archaeotech I've been playing with recently. I've picked up some lovely cameras recently, rangefinders, SLRs, medium format bellows cameras and all kinds of stuff.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
A rangefinder thread would be nice, since they don't technically belong in the P&S thread

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
This is neat: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-120-for-medium-format-camera

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's some reasonable discussion in the MF/LF thread that points out that just like the sheet direct positive paper they were selling it requires a bullshit re-exposure or toning step with their proprietary chems.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ansel autisms posted:

There's some reasonable discussion in the MF/LF thread that points out that just like the sheet direct positive paper they were selling it requires a bullshit re-exposure or toning step with their proprietary chems.

Is paper re-exposure different from film? For film you just burn it, since you've already removed any silver that you don't want in the image...

drat I thought this was the thread we're discussing this goddamned thing...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think I need this in my life

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KOD...YIAAOSwAvJXDA42

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Do it

windex
Aug 2, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

A rangefinder thread would be nice, since they don't technically belong in the P&S thread

Okay. I'll work on that. I have roughly 50 years of rangefinder history to summarize, some photos to find or take, and some cool photography examples to hunt down.

I don't really want to exclude digital from the thread, either, though, especially because in addition to digital Leica, Voigtlander is making nice lenses for mirrorless cameras now in MF only and I shoot one myself. Not to mention ideas like Konost, which seems stalled but hey.. http://konost.com/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

windex posted:

Okay. I'll work on that. I have roughly 50 years of rangefinder history to summarize, some photos to find or take, and some cool photography examples to hunt down.

I don't really want to exclude digital from the thread, either, though, especially because in addition to digital Leica, Voigtlander is making nice lenses for mirrorless cameras now in MF only and I shoot one myself. Not to mention ideas like Konost, which seems stalled but hey.. http://konost.com/

Your thread sounds insufferable already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Your thread sounds insufferable already