Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can you upgrade how much the estus flask heals, or just charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So how do I get to Cathedral of the Deep? I just killed Skeleton Guy and Tree Dude and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Dark Souls 3 seems to be the first time From have figured out "difficulty curve, not difficulty cliff face" :v:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Just had a weird multiplayer bug, as a sunbro on Vordt. It took like a solid minute to be able to enter the fog gate after the host, then I couldn't see Vordt once in. The other coop phantom and host were busy fighing an invisible man, luckily they won with me pretending to fight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

e: How does poise work in this by the way because not a single attack, even ones with hyper armor, has NOT been interrupted.

I've noticed this too and all I can conclude is that poise is basically worthless now unless you have a ton of it (maybe). The weapons with skills that boost your poise temporarily do seem to give you enough to make uninterrupted attacks, but it doesn't last very long and obviously that significantly limits your available weapon choices.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

voltcatfish posted:

Strength can be increased at the shrine bonfire, see if you have any bone shards that can be used at its menu?

Panty Saluter posted:

Dark Souls 3 seems to be the first time From have figured out "difficulty curve, not difficulty cliff face" :v:

How many zones in are you? (Tabs on the warp menu) Because :getin:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

Beeez
May 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Dark Souls, but you can start with DS3 too (now is a good time to play because the community is vibrant and alive, but all the games have lasting communities), you just might get too gud and then all the others will be easy.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I find DS2 to be pretty easy compared to this one. cant speak for SotFS though

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you are a broke goon then DS1 is still a perfectly fine entry into the series. I would argue that DS3 probably is the most "friendly" of them, especially if you are a magic user since you have a mana bar now rather than a limited number of spell casts, but really any of them are good.

turtlecrunch posted:

DS1 -> DS3 -> Demon's Souls -> Bloodborne -> DS2:SOTFS might be an okay play order, if you really want something different after DS3 you can switch over to Bloodborne and save DeS for after that.

Thanks guys. It's not really about being broke or not as I have Gamefly, so if DS3 is the best for beginners then that's what I'd do, but otherwise I was thinking Dark Souls 1 seemed like a good start point. However, unless being a magic user is advised for a total beginner who doesn't usually play super hard games, I'm more inclined to devote a lot of my time to melee, I usually prefer that in games with magic acting supplementary.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't met the guy who you turn subbro medals in to yet. I want to keep farming vordt souls before I outlevel the people summoning for him because it's crazy easy and takes about 30 seconds to beat. I don't need to know what the rewards actually are, but how many medals will I need? And are the rewards worth the effort?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Malcolm XML posted:

Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

I took him down on my first hit, which is :smuggo: but I did just barely do it by the skin of my teeth (it may have also been that I took out skeleton dude first so I may have been overleveled). Tree telegraphs its moves pretty well, and the moves don't hit too too hard. Just clear the playing field of mobs and all that and it's pretty straightforward, aside from the weird discomfort of destroying it by whacking at the fungus eggs between its legs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

immortal flow posted:

Just had a weird multiplayer bug, as a sunbro on Vordt. It took like a solid minute to be able to enter the fog gate after the host, then I couldn't see Vordt once in. The other coop phantom and host were busy fighing an invisible man, luckily they won with me pretending to fight.

lol yeah this happened to me once too. me and the the other guy were just cheering him on, he almost won too. *collapse*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Walrus posted:

I haven't met the guy who you turn subbro medals in to yet. I want to keep farming vordt souls before I outlevel the people summoning for him because it's crazy easy and takes about 30 seconds to beat. I don't need to know what the rewards actually are, but how many medals will I need? And are the rewards worth the effort?

10 for a +attack + def buff miracle, 30 for a lightning spear miracle. Not really worth it for those, more worth it in terms of having fun redoing boss fights. Gold summon signs seem to get picked more often, plus it looks cool.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I collected the sun token from the soup. Am I in the covenant? I'm gold when summoned now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
two more questions.

1. I've heard people talking about optional bosses you can access before the settlement. Is it just the one hidden one that takes you to the endgame or have I missed something?

2. where does siegward go after you help him with the demon? also, followup question, why does he go 'too soon!!' when you attack it? What happens if you leave it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Find Undead Bone Shards and burn them at the Firelink Shrine bonfire, that'll upgrade its healing strength.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beeez posted:

Thanks guys. It's not really about being broke or not as I have Gamefly, so if DS3 is the best for beginners then that's what I'd do, but otherwise I was thinking Dark Souls 1 seemed like a good start point. However, unless being a magic user is advised for a total beginner who doesn't usually play super hard games, I'm more inclined to devote a lot of my time to melee, I usually prefer that in games with magic acting supplementary.
I'd recommend DS1 first because a) it's the first one and you won't miss the sequels' quality of life improvements, b) it was the best one until a couple of days ago, and c) it's the easiest to do that build in, because Pyromancy is 100% intended to be a type of magic that's supplementary to melee, takes absolutely no stat investment and also owns

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, I'm a Herald in a full set of heavy armor and a mimic just one-shot me. Not with a grab, but with a friggin kick. Are you supposed to only pump vigor in this game or something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like what I just did to that tree was extremely rude.

quote:

Oh come on, I'm a Herald in a full set of heavy armor and a mimic just one-shot me. Not with a grab, but with a friggin kick. Are you supposed to only pump vigor in this game or something?

Everything does insane damage and poise damage now.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Beeez posted:

I've always done melee for Dark Souls. Magic is fun but it lacks the tactile in-your-face thrill of beating a thing to death with cold steel (and just as often getting beaten to death with cold steel). Generally I start from a sword-and-shield set-up then move on to two handing and rolling everywhere.

Dark Souls 3 does seem to be more accessible for beginners in some ways, but in others not so much. I, for example, think the first boss of Dark Souls III, the "tutorial" boss, is quite a bit harder than the tutorial boss for DS1. He actually reminded me more than a bit of a boss in the difficult DLC for DS1. And combat is more fast-paced and levels more sprawling than they were in DS1.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Harrow posted:

Find Undead Bone Shards and burn them at the Firelink Shrine bonfire, that'll upgrade its healing strength.

There's also a ring which boosts it too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Okay, so I just got the Sage Ember or whatever it's called. And I was dismayed to see that, superficially, the Faith scaling enchantment of choice looks like hot garbage, both in general and compared to the Int scaling one. So, what invisible factor am I missing that evens them out?

I mean, I get that generally infusing weapons that already scale great with the respective stat is ideal, but when Faith is my highest stat while Int is single-digits and Crystal still looks stronger for my character on a weapon that scales with neither inherently, it seems really weird. Do scaling bonuses just skyrocket once I get Faith into the 20s or something?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Toriori posted:

I collected the sun token from the soup. Am I in the covenant? I'm gold when summoned now.

as long as you equip it in the fifth "ring" slot yeah

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is Undead Settlement supposed to be the Dark Soul's Deep South? Because I'm getting a strong hillbilly horror vibe from it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MrLonghair posted:

How many zones in are you? (Tabs on the warp menu) Because :getin:

3 or 4? I mean my point stands, the first few area are a pretty good gradual increase in difficulty instead of being completely loving opaque like DS1

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is Undead Settlement supposed to be the Dark Soul's Deep South? Because I'm getting a strong hillbilly horror vibe from it.

It reminds me a lot of Bloodborne's Settlements.

Actually, come to think of it, a lot of levels in Dark Souls reminds me of Bloodborne. I guess that's because they're both next-gen so it's easier to make big sprawling cityscapes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

undead go to the north so the opposite. its more like rural timmins ontario

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
e: Double post. My bad.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Tying online play to weapon level in addition to soul level was a good idea. It accomplishes what the designers wanted to accomplish with soul memory without being stupid and bad.

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like what I just did to that tree was extremely rude.

Everything does insane damage and poise damage now.

Is poise helpful enough to shoot for specific amounts, or do enemies do enough poise damage to make it not even worth worrying about?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 13, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Tying online play to weapon level in addition to soul level was a good idea. It accomplishes what the designers wanted to accomplish with soul memory without being stupid and bad.

Is poise helpful enough to shoot for specific amounts, or do enemies do enough poise damage to make it not even worth worrying about?

So this is why I'm 2 for 2 in DS3 invasions and 0 for 130 in DS1 :v:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I've stopped doing PvP for the moment 'cuz most of the time when I get into an invasion, the host and random phantoms don't have any animations what-so-ever and that's hard to deal with. Just about the only bug I've seen yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh sweet the mirrah greatsword!

il serpente cosmico posted:

If it is I haven't reached that amount yet.

e: My stats are stretched so thin even now. I feel like going greatswords and any kind of magic doesn't work great out of pyromancy.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Malcolm XML posted:

Tree boss coop owns

This is true of pretty much every boss in the souls series. They were all tuned for one person and co-op tends to make them incredibly easy (compared to going solo), even with the HP boost they get.

I finished the wall last night, and afterwards I dropped my sign and helped some people out with co-op. I almost felt like I was poaching Vordt when three of us would crowd around him and beat him senseless. He never even had the chance to do a lot of his attack types since multiple people at multiple distances tends to spazz out the AI.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 13, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SardonicTyrant posted:

The next area is filled with redneck zombies in a swamp.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can you only summon two phantoms? I spent all night just helping people instead of playing for myself because im a sunbro at heart. The most I saw were myself and one other phantom summoned. Did they remove the ability to summon three or were everyone I was playing with for the three hours of co-op just being weird and not summoning the max?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Einwand posted:

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

I see a lot of katanas and axes, but I'm using the longsword and claymore right now. There just isn't enough titanite to experiment at the moment.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Undead+Bone+Shard

Location spoilers fyi

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Panty Saluter posted:

3 or 4? I mean my point stands, the first few area are a pretty good gradual increase in difficulty instead of being completely loving opaque like DS1

Alright watch that curve in another 3-4 zones, that's where I got my first times of feeling tiny and vulnerable in the game :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

I've been invaded twice this morning by watchdogs