Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Grimace posted:

People really like to melee or otherwise be right up with the monster for action, which is part of why DPS is always the most popular trait. That said, I think Dancer would be a great idea for XIV... but I think Red Mage and Samurai are already the top picks for the next expansion, and they're not too keen on doing 3 jobs at once again.

You never know, they're strongly hinting that we're going to Ala Mhigo next, and I'd almost think they would save Samurai for going to Doma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I wonder how Red Mages would work, in the context of this game's role-based party system. Would they queue as healers or DPS? I suppose DPS might make the most sense, so they'd fall under the umbrella of a support-type class like Bard. I'm picturing a character with a mix of ranged spells and melee capabilities (I'm going to assume the Red Mage weapon would be rapier), with access to a handful of useful buffs. Unless they plan on branching out into hybrid roles, where you decide beforehand what you're queueing under.

The only Dancer I know from Final Fantasy lore is the job in FFV, where it had 4 dances: the confusion dance, the HP-stealing dance, the MP-stealing dance, and Sword Dance for dealing quadruple attack damage. My first instinct was to think a Dancer job in FFXIV would be DPS, but what about an evasion/drain-based tank? Weapon is ribbons, and Dancers keep threat through a series of mesmerizing gyrations. HP-stealing would still be an important part of the toolset for times when a Dancer does get hit, and the cap of the threat combo would obviously be the Sword Dance, where your ribbons turn to blades into deal damage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XI DNC is odd because they can be a DPS, healer or tank as well as supply Haste/HPDrain/MPDrain Sambas and inflict EVA/DEF/MAGRes/CritRes down very quickly. I dunno how they'd work in XIV honestly because the game's structure more or less demands they pick one role and stick to it, but I will play it regardless because their Artifact and Empyreal armour sets are beyond fantastic.

RDM sucks in everything and always has.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nowhere is that more true than getting one in a Four Job Fiesta. Oh, sure, they're great for World 1, but once enemies start getting bigger HP pools, their usefulness dries up quick until you grind out Dualcast, and that's only useful if you have another mage in the group.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Back in the day RDM was the desired healer in high level content due to refresh and convert.

This came as a bit of a disappointment to people who thought they were gonna be a sick sword swinger and spell slinger.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
But then there's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, where Summoners can pick up Red Mage and start dual casting their summons :allears:

I love the idea of Dancer as a tank though.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Twenty days into this and I'm vaguely astonished at how much stuff is locked away behind random quests you'd never know to take if you didn't google for the outcome. The challenge log, exploration log and even the actual Chocobo aren't signposted in any way. Thank god the period job quests do warrant a warning.

Am I really supposed to be taking every quest I see, even the ones five levels lower than me, just in case it's a pre-requisite for some important feature? Or is there some obvious aspect I've not noticed?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What we need is a caster tank so I don't have to grind 3 armour sets to cover all roles.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Am I really supposed to be taking every quest I see, even the ones five levels lower than me, just in case it's a pre-requisite for some important feature? Or is there some obvious aspect I've not noticed?

It's easier to just follow a guide: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

XI DNC is odd because they can be a DPS, healer or tank as well as supply Haste/HPDrain/MPDrain Sambas and inflict EVA/DEF/MAGRes/CritRes down very quickly. I dunno how they'd work in XIV honestly because the game's structure more or less demands they pick one role and stick to it, but I will play it regardless because their Artifact and Empyreal armour sets are beyond fantastic.

melee bard but with dances instead of songs

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

paulnewmanseyes posted:

yes, you are

do not suffer from the questies, it is a terrible affliction

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know your gut instinct is to min/max the quest levels but don't. They do not give enough experience for them to really matter.

My horrible min/max gut instinct? Get all classes to 15. Now I'm working on getting ones I like to 30. Having everything on one character and the relatively slow progress of the Grand Company ranks has somehow convinced me to do this.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 13, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I know your gut instinct is to min/max the quest levels but don't. They do not give enough experience for them to really matter.

My horrible min/max gut instinct? Get all classes to 15. Now I'm working on getting ones I like to 30. Having everything on one character and the relatively slow progress of the Grand Company ranks has somehow convinced me to do this.

I hope you have something to 60 first otherwise you're not really min-maxing, since once you hit 60 other classes you level get an xp boost.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RagnarokAngel posted:

I hope you have something to 60 first otherwise you're not really min-maxing, since once you hit 60 other classes you level get an xp boost.

Isn't the XP boost for any class under your highest, not from a 60 specifically?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Twenty days into this and I'm vaguely astonished at how much stuff is locked away behind random quests you'd never know to take if you didn't google for the outcome. The challenge log, exploration log and even the actual Chocobo aren't signposted in any way. Thank god the period job quests do warrant a warning.

Take the chocobo quest - it's literally a quest that pops up after you pick your grand company and the end of the grand company quest tells you to go talk to the guy about your chocobo. It's not so much hidden but that you need to actually read what the NPC is telling you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's just what I call it to convince myself I'm not insane. It isn't working.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I kind of want to see this game's take on BST or BLU.

But since we're going to Ala Mhigo, I'm betting DNC and PUP.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If they did Beastmaster it would be more like SMN and you'd just quest for pets. The lack of any CC options other than stun and knockback on the HW jobs is a strong indicator they're not going to do anything fancy or too confusing with new jobs. Also there's the issues with instances, what happens if you die, etc.

I doubt they're ever going to do PUP.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I don't think we'll see this game's take on BLU until they revamp actions, if they ever do.

I would be a little shocked if we don't see SAM in the next expansion. It's popular (and almost edged out DRK as the tank job for HW), and if you consider main stat balance, what the game is missing right now is STR and INT. So I think we're going to see a STR based job (probably SAM) and an INT based job (maybe RDM?).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Isn't Arcanist basically Red Mage?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's 3/4 of a RDM, it doesn't have any buffing spells for the party.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arcanist is basically Scholar and Summoner.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Blue Mage doesn't make sense in that most enemy attacks are essentially class / job classes already.

Truga posted:

What we need is a caster tank so I don't have to grind 3 armour sets to cover all roles.

Get ready for some really small pulls because caster gear defense is usually about 40% of tank gear!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It also doesn't have swanky hats or swords. If we get rdm I'm imagining they are going to play up the fencing with occasional magic ala ninja.

Also I want blue mage just because of the gorgeous Arabian themed af they had in XI.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah, that reminds me http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Raubahn_(Final_Fantasy_XI)

Immortal Flames is a much better name than Immortal Lions.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How can I tell if I'm doing good DPS? I generally just look at what number I am in the aggro list as an indicator. I generally end up pretty low. At first I figured ninjas are just lower on the dps scale, but I find myself losing out to similarly-geared ninjas too. I don't think it's my rotation. Would a DGKK goon be willing to do that thing where you can see someone's numbers in a dungeon?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Get ready for some really small pulls because caster gear defense is usually about 40% of tank gear!

That's why you have mana oath, which lowers incoming damage by eleventy percent! But hits drain your MP instead of HP.

Prism posted:

Isn't the XP boost for any class under your highest, not from a 60 specifically?

It is. If you have a level 10 ARC and a level 1 LNC, LNC will get 100% bonus until you hit level 10.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

seiferguy posted:

All they'd need is a huge defense buff in their tank stance. Easy.

That said, we already have a magic tank in dark knight. i would bank on rdm being a support dps like brd or mch. If I were designing the class I would have it function a bit like blm in that you have a burn phase and a recovery phase but instead of fire and ice it's ranged nukes with a huge cast speed buff to fire them off really fast as some semblance of dual and quick cast and elemental blade melee attacks since these are the only defining aspects of the job throughout the series' history besides having a cool hat. Give them a 1 minute or less cd benediction just so they can throw out a heal sometime to nail the flavor in a way that isn't a wasted ability slot.

SonicRulez posted:

How can I tell if I'm doing good DPS? I generally just look at what number I am in the aggro list as an indicator. I generally end up pretty low. At first I figured ninjas are just lower on the dps scale, but I find myself losing out to similarly-geared ninjas too. I don't think it's my rotation. Would a DGKK goon be willing to do that thing where you can see someone's numbers in a dungeon?

A third party parsing program named Advanced Combat Tracker that is against terms of service so you should probably not mention it in game just in case some rear end in a top hat reports you. Threat bars are not a good indicator in general because lots of people, including you, have tools to manage threat which makes them suspect. In general ninjas are low personal dps based on the dps expectation in SSS but I still top meters all the time so if you aren't generally killing it in your raids and dungeons then you need to work on your gear or rotation or maybe even both.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 13, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SonicRulez posted:

Ninja is pretty low on the melee DPS hierarchy but if you're coming out below other ninja then there might be problems with your rotation, yeah.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Troll option: Blue Mage is tied to your Triple Triad cards. Your abilities are based on the skills possessed by the characters on the five cards in your special BLU deck.

The job stone comes from winning a tournament.

:v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yesterday I got Titan HM in my Trial DR as Machinist. I started the Wildfire rotation as usual on the pull, and he jumped at just under one second left. Did it go off? Do other dots tick normally? I have no idea if jumps like that count as invincibility or not, on him or other bosses.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

I have ACT in working order and will run it if you ask me. I normally don't use it though because clicking on an icon is :effort:, and it just gets me depressed because I'm a bad :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Yesterday I got Titan HM in my Trial DR as Machinist. I started the Wildfire rotation as usual on the pull, and he jumped at just under one second left. Did it go off? Do other dots tick normally? I have no idea if jumps like that count as invincibility or not, on him or other bosses.

Depends on the boss. On most 2.0 ones, dots keep on ticking while they're away, but most HW ones seem to go completely invulnerable during phase changes.

e: quote is not edit

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Ciaphas posted:

It's annoying and is different from boss to boss, like Leviathan definitely keeps taking dot damage. I'm not sure on titan since he jumps so fast now i dont bother unloading any CDs until after the heart and he stops jumping.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dots definitely keep doing damage on titan. We did it unsynced once in DGKK and he jumped up, fell down and then jumped up again before even being targetable.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

If they did Beastmaster it would be more like SMN and you'd just quest for pets. The lack of any CC options other than stun and knockback on the HW jobs is a strong indicator they're not going to do anything fancy or too confusing with new jobs. Also there's the issues with instances, what happens if you die, etc.

I doubt they're ever going to do PUP.

The only thing I remember about BST's from XI was that they were always that weird person that talked in LS but you never actually saw their character in game ever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Truga posted:

There aren't as many magic classes/jobs as there are physical ones, which has always bugged me, so I agree.

Leofish posted:

but what about an evasion/drain-based tank? Weapon is ribbons, and Dancers keep threat through a series of mesmerizing gyrations. HP-stealing would still be an important part of the toolset for times when a Dancer does get hit, and the cap of the threat combo would obviously be the Sword Dance, where your ribbons turn to blades into deal damage.

This is a really cool idea and I'm going to end up invariably disappointed when the real DNC isn't this. :v:

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Iron Tusk posted:

The only thing I remember about BST's from XI was that they were always that weird person that talked in LS but you never actually saw their character in game ever.

Probably because they were out smashing giraffes into each other. I leveled in the weirdest areas as BST/WHM.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

synthetik posted:

Probably because they were out smashing giraffes into each other. I leveled in the weirdest areas as BST/WHM.

FFXIBeastmaster.gif

Seriously, I remember giraffe fights being one of the better ways to level BST. Good times.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really wish they'd just ditch job stones entirely and just make the classes into 1-60 jobs instead.

Also, replace the Warrior flavour with the Marauder, because pirate monster hunter is a lot cooler than angry barbarian.

• Locked thread