Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

He definitely bugs me personally but he's just a fictional character and as you said, he gets owned a lot and about the only time it's actually bordering on weirdness is the climax of the story and by then I'm kind of whatever about it. I really don't like stories that hinge on nazi poo poo and am pretty sensitive to that but I kinda rate my level of displeasure about that aspect of Pt 2 pretty low on the scale. I'm a little nonplussed when I see people kind of talk about him adoringly but again, there's pretty much no point in getting really worked up about a character in a story that's kinda old and not really the actual focal point in any way. I dislike a handful of other characters and am happy to discuss that when they're brought up but there's never a point in time with JJBA where my distaste for a character or a particular avenue actually hinders my enjoyment.
And that's totally fair. To be honest, I get a bit weirded out myself when I find folks fawning over him, but he's not so much of a character study (or a devil's advocate) as he is an anti-vampire super science cyborg with a machine gun implanted in his chest, which is like the ultimate dream of every kid who ever ran around the playground trying to out-invent someone else's made-up superhero. Still some unfortunate implications, but I feel like Araki's heart at least was firmly in the territory of "What is something totally dope I could put in my silly action comic for boys," as opposed to running some kind of undercover fascist apologetics like that one guy was implying.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

will Bad Seafood ever escape the [Gravity] of the part 4 anime thread's determination to be terrible

also re Wrestling's Bizarre Adventure - Lucha Underground already has people collecting ancient Aztec medallions to power the ultimate force contained within a wrestling belt, it's like a millimeter removed from straight-up stone mask shenanigans and I for one eagerly await the day someone REJECTS THEIR HUMANITY in the squared circle.

EDIT: "What is something totally dope I could put in my silly action comic for boys" explains like 60% of Jojo, and I'm glad the series has never really lost that whimsical stupid-awesome grounding even with the reset.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 13, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like Araki's heart at least was firmly in the territory of "What is something totally dope I could put in my silly action comic for boys," as opposed to running some kind of undercover fascist apologetics like that one guy was implying.

Exactly. It doesn't strike me as excusing fascism or anything like that.

Yinlock posted:

will Bad Seafood ever escape the [Gravity] of the part 4 anime thread's determination to be terrible
I'm praying that once we just get further into the season there'll be other stuff we can focus on in there.

I guess it's spoilery to say it there so I haven't really talked much about it but I am looking forward to Friday so so so much and am going to flood that thread even more than I already do that day

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

also re Wrestling's Bizarre Adventure - Lucha Underground already has people collecting ancient Aztec medallions to power the ultimate force contained within a wrestling belt, it's like a millimeter removed from straight-up stone mask shenanigans and I for one eagerly await the day someone REJECTS THEIR HUMANITY in the squared circle.

Well, someone died, got stuck in a coffin for a while and came back twice as powerful and better dressed, so there's THAT.

Also, I'm just really looking forward to Let's Eat Italian Food and the reactions to that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu12ysvd-nw&t=80s

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I feel like Stroheim being a Nazi would be a lot easier to swallow if he did not immediately have a large number of innocent people killed shortly after being introduced. Personally I can rationalize away "honorable Nazi" as being part of the Bizarre aspect of JJBA, but "honorable Nazi mass murderer" is a bit more galling.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, there were certainly Nazi soldiers who were just German soldiers fighting for their country, but then you've got Stroheim heading up the Mexican vampire research division with live human test subjects.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I was gonna guess that Stroheim was never intended to be a main character when he was first introduced and by the time he got brought back Araki Forgottm about how he introduced him, but then I looked it up and saw that there were only 8 months between his introduction as a dude and his return as a cyborg, which doesn't seem like quite long enough to forget something like that.

But who knows, Araki is an immortal vampire so he's got to hold a lot of info in his head, maybe he's gotta get rid of memories like that so that he can remember his third wife from the 17th century upon whom he based Hot Pants.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I could definitely buy that he was intended as a one-off villain that is built up by casual slaughter and then redeems themselves through sacrifice, but then Araki decided that gently caress it he liked drawing that hairstyle and he wanted to do a cyborg anyway.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

basically the way i see it is that i perfectly understand if people are weirded out by the whole thing and i'm not going to be an rear end in a top hat to them about it if they say as much. like, the biggest wall of text in the world isn't going to magically convert someone who has reasons to be unnerved by nazi stuff in media. if they wanna start saying that araki is a nazi apologist or something then i'll definitely start disagreeing, though, because the guy just put it in because it's weird and japan has an odd history with germany anyways so ~whatever~

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I mean Part 5's protagonists are also actual Gangsters.

Like I'm not saying they're equal to the Nazis or w/e but Araki has never really had an issue with presenting characters as being heroic while also being kind of hosed up or at least uncaring. Like sure the Passione boys don't actually just randomly kill people or whatever in the part but it doesn't seem like they shy away from what being a Gangster actually means and at the very least Purple Haze: Distortion presents Giorno as being perfectly willing to murder people if they aren't falling in line with his plans.

I mean there's no goddamn way that Speedwagon didn't murder a few dudes before he met Johnathon too.

I think it's the difference between acknowledging that such a thing is realistic in the world versus applauding and supporting it. Araki doesn't seem to support Nazism, the Mob, or being a bandit but these are characters in his stories because his stories, while fantastical, are also somewhat realistic in that people from all walks of life can find something that is bigger then themselves that they feel obligated to deal with.

poo poo. JoJoLion Kira made a dude eat his loving fingers off for no goddamn reason.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Stallion Cabana posted:

poo poo. JoJoLion Kira made a dude eat his loving fingers off for no goddamn reason.

okay, i think we're going a little far here. that guy couldn't decide if he was a creature of the land or of the sea. i think that's a fitting and long-overdue punishment for such.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sasame is an utter cock, more than reason enough.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Josuke Higashikata posted:

yeah I'll admit that whole scene makes way more sense if you assume Kira somehow found out that Sasame is absolute trash and decided to enact some vigilante justice. It's still morally weird but there's an argument that the fact he had a Stand would make him basically untouchable in a court.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will only accept criticism of Yoshikage Kira from people who are better looking than this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Waiting for Araki to explain what was up with all those photos of naked dismembered women, unless he did that already and I forgot about it.

I really need to reread Jojolion when this is all over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

okay, i think we're going a little far here. that guy couldn't decide if he was a creature of the land or of the sea. i think that's a fitting and long-overdue punishment for such.
Sometimes when I'm just out and about and nobody's around, for no reason whatsoever, I'll just say out loud, "A dentist is a man of the land."

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Waiting for Araki to explain what was up with all those photos of naked dismembered women, unless he did that already and I forgot about it.

I really need to reread Jojolion when this is all over.

I thought Sasame said that he planted those their for some reason? Its been awhile since I read the FunFunFun chapter though.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fiend Computer posted:

I thought Sasame said that he planted those their for some reason?

I thought so, yes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There were photos of dismemberment?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

There were photos of dismemberment?

Yeah I thought kira 8 was a murderer for the longest time

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I just checked and all there were were some BDSM pictures?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My favourite Best Friends JoJo-related thing was the debate of what would be worse: A stand that gives the target brain-freeze or a stand that makes the target poo poo themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vBMmcXSMw

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My favourite Best Friends JoJo-related thing was the debate of what would be worse: A stand that gives the target brain-freeze or a stand that makes the target poo poo themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vBMmcXSMw

Both of these stands would be utterly deadly in multiple actual JoJo fights

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I can imagine a stand that makes the target poo poo themselves would be a death sentence when combined with Sheer Heart Attack.

Edit: Brain freeze would probably make the target yelp in pain, meaning they exhale, so Doobie Wah could have a field day with that too, maybe?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I can imagine a stand that makes the target poo poo themselves would be a death sentence when combined with Sheer Heart Attack.

Edit: Brain freeze would probably make the target yelp in pain, meaning they exhale, so Doobie Wah could have a field day with that too, maybe?

poo poo-themselves stand would be horrific coupled with Gold Experience Requiem too.

Or Jail House Lock. All you can remember is making GBS threads yourself.

Oh, hell, D4C. In every universe, you are making GBS threads yourself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.viz.com/blog/posts/diamond-is-unbreakable-is-now-streaming

Viz are streaming episodes of DiU from Friday onwards for free.

I would assume that they're 2 weeks behind though. They may be in HD, which you need Crunchy premium for even on episodes that have gone free, so it might be of worth yet.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I just checked and all there were were some BDSM pictures?
You're right, it's bdsm stuff. It was still planted, it's just confusing because Gappy indicates that he sees himself in some shots (but probably sees the back of a guy in the same outfit? Or maybe I misread?) but sasame specially says he took took photos of the kidnapped woman.

He says nothing about the se7en/old kira-style nail clipping collection, though that probably is kira since he's obsessed with his own hands. So kira still comes across as kinda weird, even before you add in that story about finger eating which man... Yikes

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

poo poo-themselves stand would be horrific coupled with Gold Experience Requiem too.

Or Jail House Lock. All you can remember is making GBS threads yourself.

Oh, hell, D4C. In every universe, you are making GBS threads yourself.

What about King Crimson? Suddenly your pants are full of poo poo, and you have no idea why.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

You know, I think Araki's greatest talent is being able to explain stands like D4C, Made in Heaven or King Crimson without it being just one massive infodump.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You know, I think Araki's greatest talent is being able to explain stands like D4C, Made in Heaven or King Crimson without it being just one massive infodump.

Let's not get crazy here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Let's not get crazy here.

Well, he certainly knows how it works better than I do because if I was challenged to explain King Crimson, I'd just give "Kinda like The World but somehow different."

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I mean, he could explain it well, can't judge by the translation we have.

I get king crimson, GER stumps me a little though I know what it does just not totally *why*

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All I know is GER is the most powerful stand.

Except maybe Tusk Act 4.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Did Jojo influence Yu Yu Hakusho in anyway? I'm curious

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All I know is GER is the most powerful stand.

Except maybe Tusk Act 4.

Wouldn't Made in Heaven be the most powerful, as it can essentially fast-forward you (and the universe) out of existence and then kill you before you're even born or whatever in the new world?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Probably not much, YYH was contemporary with Jojo during its most influential part. It was much more influenced by Dragon Ball than Jojo.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

multijoe posted:

Wouldn't Made in Heaven be the most powerful, as it can essentially fast-forward you (and the universe) out of existence and then kill you before you're even born or whatever in the new world?

this gets into 'Different parts can have different Rules' but I think you're supposed to take Tusk Act 4, and thus the Golden Ratio and the Spin, as the ultimate destructive force.

Tusk Act 4 pieces through stopped time, dimensional barriers, and gravity itself, it's a perpetual motion machine that destroys whatever it hits, and you can't avoid it. It can't be stopped, it can only be redirected, and only through massive, extreme measures; once you're caught by Tusk 4, you're essentially doomed unless you're able to react instantly and immediately, as Alternate Diego did. Even when stopping time Diego was still pursued by it, and dodging didn't avoid it, it only bought a reprieve for a moment.

from how it's presented, even if Puuci did reset the universe, Tusk 4 still would be chasing him until it caught him.

This is different from GER, which is the ultimate defensive force (But can do the whole 'infinite loop of dying'), which, according to Jorge Joestar is immune to Pucci's effects.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're trying to make like a connection between Yusuke and Josuke's designs, they really just draw from the same visual tropes for delinquents in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also Yusuke predates Josuke by about two years.